Well, he (FSU BOT chairmen) seems happy... | The Boneyard

Well, he (FSU BOT chairmen) seems happy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A few sprinkles on the ACC picnic:

For example, take Florida State Board of Trustees Chairman Andy Haggard's comments via Warchant.com.
"How do you not look into that option," asked Haggard. "On behalf of the Board of Trustees I can say that unanimously we would be in favor of seeing what the Big 12 might have to offer. We have to do what is in Florida State's best interest."​
Haggard is fed up with the ACC and isn't going to take it. He ripped the conference for giving up third-tier broadcasting rights for football while keeping them for basketball. That move, he said, shows a bias towards the Carolina schools, and puts FSU in a bad spot.

http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-footba...dy-haggard-fsu-bot-chair-big-12-expansion-acc

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
A few sprinkles on the ACC picnic:

For example, take Florida State Board of Trustees Chairman Andy Haggard's comments via Warchant.com.
"How do you not look into that option," asked Haggard. "On behalf of the Board of Trustees I can say that unanimously we would be in favor of seeing what the Big 12 might have to offer. We have to do what is in Florida State's best interest."​
Haggard is fed up with the ACC and isn't going to take it. He ripped the conference for giving up third-tier broadcasting rights for football while keeping them for basketball. That move, he said, shows a bias towards the Carolina schools, and puts FSU in a bad spot.

http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2012/5/12/3016453/andy-haggard-fsu-bot-chair-big-12-expansion-acc[/quote]

What I really enjoyed about this is that a BOT Chairman finally came out and said what I have been saying for quite some time: that academics don't mean diddly-squat when it comes to conference affiliation!

"No FSU graduate puts on his resume or interviews for a job saying they are in the same conference as Duke and Virginia," he said. "Conference affiliation really has no impact on academics."

Also, it seems like everyone that was trying to say that the FSU/Clemson to the Big12 had very little merit might be reconsidering their stance now. It sounds like FSU is beginning to "BegHarder." Now is this good for UConn? Hard to say...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Also, it seems to me that the Chairman of the BOT has essentially given the "everyone on the board agrees" statement publicly now. Now that he has done that, I can't imagine a scenario where the Big12 doesn't call them right away. If they wanted TCU, they will certainly want FSU. Never a dull moment in college football...

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The football schools of the ACC are not happy. In the big XII, FSU would make more than $17 million/year just off of tier 1 and 2 rights AND be able to with their tier 3 rights as they saw fit. And play in a better football conference with significant presence in Texas.

Va Tech is joined at the hip with Virginia, but Clemson and FSU definitely have interest.

Reaction Score
Chair of the BOT expires at the next term. Old guy says things.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

The next term isn't soon enough, my friend.

Reaction Score
I see this as a coordinated public statement designed to give the FSU president cover to pursue discussions. If things don't work out with the B12, he needs to be able to maintain the trust of his conference peers. What better way to do that than point to the BOT and say we have to at least look under the hood, or I lose my job.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This sounds more like a guy that has already made up his mind. There have been plenty of schools that have left the Big East, and none have blasted the conference leadership publicly like this guy just did.

Reaction Score

docsu, just curious - when does the term expire? this is not a rhetorical question, as i am curious if he is out at their next bot meeting (according to the fsu website, 6/7 & 6/8). if so then i can definitely see this as a parting, ineffectual shot...

Reaction Score
I think just got real! Honestly, if the ACC loses FSU they are losing Clemson and probably Miami too. I think UConn should wait until the BE deal is done before deciding to jump ship to the ACC which may end up being just the old BE football schools without the hoops schools.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I see this as a coordinated public statement designed to give the FSU president cover to pursue discussions. If things don't work out with the B12, he needs to be able to maintain the trust of his conference peers. What better way to do that than point to the BOT and say we have to at least look under the hood, or I lose my job.

By the way, Auggie, one of these days you have to humor me by finishing an appropriate email with the statement, "Kneel before Zod!!" Love the Avatar.

Reaction Score
By the way, Auggie, one of these days you have to humor me by finishing an appropriate email with the statement, "Kneel before Zod!!" Love the Avatar.

Thanks, Dan. I had a hard time choosing the right General Zod picture, one that didn't look too much like a gay disco singer - not that there is anything wrong with that. Ultimately this was the best of the bunch.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
come on guys, fsu is now going anywhere.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Smart move. Everyone knows the trustees perform due diligence and listen to offers and media consultants. This is a CYA.

Last year there was a 'letter' that floated around from the FSU President to Boosters. Football wanted the SEC. Academic and non-football sports weren't in favor of a change.Then there was the loyalty during the 90s thing from the ACC, burning bridges, and a paragraph that a single research contract can mean more than the football revenue.

Reaction Score
Th3 chairm got it wrong as well, ESPN holds tier 3 rights in all sports except for FSU, GT and UM football. Listen, they know what their TV deal is, its less than the Big 12 and theya re losing money in athletics. Make some comments and see what happens. Worse case si status quo

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Quote of the day from the Orlando Sentinel:

"Don't kid yourself.
If the Big 12 offers big money, Chief Osceola would jump on Bevo and ride him bareback out of the ACC.
The only thing left behind would be the billowing smoke from his flaming spear."

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Does a coach put himself out there like that - lobbying for switching conferences, on the record - if it isn't already a foregone conclusion?

I was thinking the same thing, although a coach carries less of that feeling than say a president of a university. Still, I feel we're getting closer to the point in time where you look Swofford in the eye, and with your best Terence Stamp voice, say "Kneel before Zod!!!" (I couldn't help myself....I'll stop now)

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
The majority of FSU donors and boosters want to be in the SEC. The problem is, the SEC does not want them (because of the non-compete agreements with UF/etc). This is an attempt to scare the SEC into taking FSU by making them think that the B12 may be making a play for FSU and the southeast. But the SEC is too smart for that and will see right through this. This is all just posturing by the FSU people...nothing will come of it in the end.

Reaction Score
The majority of FSU donors and boosters want to be in the SEC. The problem is, the SEC does not want them (because of the non-compete agreements with UF/etc). This is an attempt to scare the SEC into taking FSU by making them think that the B12 may be making a play for FSU and the southeast. But the SEC is too smart for that and will see right through this. This is all just posturing by the FSU people...nothing will come of it in the end.

I just don't understand why people are so sure they won't leave. They want to be in a better football conference and now they have the chance to help construct a league to arguably rival the SEC. I honestly don't see why they would stay in the ACC if they can get some of the better football schools from the ACC to come with them. The money will be better, the football will be better, the strength of schedule will be better. I'm just not seeing the down side.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I just don't understand why people are so sure they won't leave. They want to be in a better football conference and now they have the chance to help construct a league to arguably rival the SEC. I honestly don't see why they would stay in the ACC if they can get some of the better football schools from the ACC to come with them. The money will be better, the football will be better, the strength of schedule will be better. I'm just not seeing the down side.

exactly, besides the $$ if fsu starts the moves, they can take wvu and create there own eastern division of the b12. all the ppl yelling about travel don't matter. they can have a division of fsu/clem/gt/miami/lville/wvu plus a b12 school already there. maybe tcu, so they can have a trip to texas every other year for recruiting purposes for that division. fsu would get one of the best cross games, most likely tex or ok which would be another big game or them. they would have a great looking schedule in that league and yet it would be winable for them most years to get to the ccg and play a tex or ok most years for a bcs playoff bid. then add the huge $$ boost and everything else.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom