Welcome John Dunn: New OC | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Welcome John Dunn: New OC

Reaction Score
Does anyone know what kind of passing concepts he is familiar with? e.g. air raid, west coast, run n shoot, etc?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
He's got quite the skill for literature. Don't know too many OC's who can write like this.

No man is an island,
Entire of itself.
Each is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manor of thine own
Or of thine friend's were.
Each man's death diminishes me,
For I am involved in mankind.
Therefore, send not to know
For whom the bell tolls,
It tolls for thee.

Reaction Score
Prior to joining Maryland, Dunn spent three seasons at LSU as an offensive graduate assistant/intern. While with the Tigers, he helped coach the offensive line and quarterbacks and ran meetings with those position groups.

If he was a coach at LSU, maybe he knows what he's going to do...Now, since the OLine was porus last season, maybe he can get the line to BLOCK!

Reaction Score
I see a lot of people hung up on Rhett's play calling and if Coach Dunn can compare. All I keep thinking is Remember the Titans when Denzel says, "I run 7 plays. It's like novocaine, just give it time, it'll work." Yes I know that's a very simplified Hollywood quote, but it plays to the notion that execution is key. If you execute the play how it's supposed to be done, the defense still has to defend it even if they know what's coming. It turns into, who wants it more? 3-2 count with bases loaded.. and the batter knows Mariano is throwing that cutter. Mariano would put the pitch where it needed to be and the batter would still swing through it and look silly. Seems like a coach that will bring a balance and mix things up. Hurry up, huddle up, under center, shot gun. With the experience in the NFL and college he seems like a coach that has a wide array of exposure to the game on offense and would be able to keep the defense off balance with different looks and personnel match-ups. I'm cautiously optimistic on this and will give him the benefit of the doubt and see what he can do before putting him on a pedestal or in a hole. Is it the sexiest hire that people were looking for? Not really, but for the salary offered, some big name hot shot wasn't going to waltz through the door.

Reaction Score
I see a lot of people hung up on Rhett's play calling and if Coach Dunn can compare. All I keep thinking is Remember the Titans when Denzel says, "I run 7 plays. It's like novocaine, just give it time, it'll work." Yes I know that's a very simplified Hollywood quote, but it plays to the notion that execution is key. If you execute the play how it's supposed to be done, the defense still has to defend it even if they know what's coming. It turns into, who wants it more? 3-2 count with bases loaded.. and the batter knows Mariano is throwing that cutter. Mariano would put the pitch where it needed to be and the batter would still swing through it and look silly. Seems like a coach that will bring a balance and mix things up. Hurry up, huddle up, under center, shot gun. With the experience in the NFL and college he seems like a coach that has a wide array of exposure to the game on offense and would be able to keep the defense off balance with different looks and personnel match-ups. I'm cautiously optimistic on this and will give him the benefit of the doubt and see what he can do before putting him on a pedestal or in a hole. Is it the sexiest hire that people were looking for? Not really, but for the salary offered, some big name hot shot wasn't going to waltz through the door.
If you talk to a defensive coordinator most will tell you it's not the number of plays that makes it hard to plan for, it's the number of formations. with how deep rosters are and how many players are shuffling in and out, matching personnel against a HUNH style offense can be a challenge.

Reaction Score
John Dunn’s Maryland bio....much of it’s already been documented but the very end gives some insight into the areas he’ll likely focus his recruiting efforts.

Recruiting Area
• Primary: Eastern North Carolina (Area Codes 252, 919, 910); Eastern Pennsylvania (Districts 1,3,12); Central Pennsylvania
• Secondary: Kentucky, Tennessee, Indiana and Missouri
• Local: Anne Arundel County and Eastern Shore

Reaction Score
He's got quite the skill for literature. Don't know too many OC's who can write like this.

No man is an island,
Entire of itself.
A part of the main.
Europe is the less.
For whom the bell tolls,
It tolls for thee.
Touché

Reaction Score
John Dunn’s Maryland bio....much of it’s already been documented but the very end gives some insight into the areas he’ll likely focus his recruiting efforts.

Recruiting Area
• Primary: Eastern North Carolina (Area Codes 252, 919, 910); Eastern Pennsylvania (Districts 1,3,12); Central Pennsylvania
• Secondary: Kentucky, Tennessee, Indiana and Missouri
• Local: Anne Arundel County and Eastern Shore
considering he has a record of working with TE's, hopefully he can get them involved in the offense.

I'm excited about the prospect of having Rose and Davis on the field at the same time. Might be able to switch between 10-11-12 personnel looks without actually substituting.

Reaction Score
Also his previous geographic area recruiting footprint/contacts are right where we need them to be:

Recruiting Area (from when @ UMD)

Primary: Maryland, Central and Eastern Pennsylvania, North Carolina (Charlotte), Southwest Florida and Southern New Jersey

Secondary: Kentucky, Louisiana, Tennessee and North Carolina

Local: Anne Arundel County, Eastern Shore, Frederick County and Carroll County

I think the southwestern Florida area would be a great area to recruit.. It and the panhandle are the underrated parts of Florida...Kentucky and Tennessee I'd love to expand our recruitment area...

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
considering he has a record of working with TE's, hopefully he can get them involved in the offense.

I'm excited about the prospect of having Rose and Davis on the field at the same time. Might be able to switch between 10-11-12 personnel looks without actually substituting.

I think people are sleeping on Davis as a receiving TE. He should definitely be able to play a part in whatever Dunn cooks up on that front.

Reaction Score
I think people are sleeping on Davis as a receiving TE. He should definitely be able to play a part in whatever Dunn cooks up on that front.
He was the perfect body type for an outside receiver in the misdirection & vertical passing offense that Lashlee ran. In a different system he may not be an ideal wideout. I think keeping him in the box with another TE lined up can create a great mismatch in the middle.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

No man is an island,
Entire of itself.
A part of the main.
Europe is the less.
For whom the bell tolls,
It tolls for thee.
Beats the hell out of "The Indispensable Man".

Reaction Score
Whatever HCRE wants him to run....;)

I couldn’t find anything specifically linked to Dunn. But given his background (and Edsall’s), I think they’re going to run a pro-style, no-huddle offense.

A college offense that could challenge the spread's popularity
I would love that. I hate running out of the shotgun unless it's a read option or end around. you have no momentum towards the line of scrimmage.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I would love that. I hate running out of the shotgun unless it's a read option or end around. you have no momentum towards the line of scrimmage.

This is true. Killed the run game, especially given our run blocking abilities.

Reaction Score
This is also why I think they’ll be pro-style, no huddle under Dunn.....Pindell, Washington, McAfee, Krajewski are all pro-style QBs. When you look at projected potential at the QB position going into next season, you could argue Pindell ends up behind the other three.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know what kind of passing concepts he is familiar with? e.g. air raid, west coast, run n shoot, etc?
He worked under Gary Crowton at both LSU and UMD...Crowton ran a spread type offense similar to what UConn ran last year. Some good footage to watch of his O is of Matt Flynn at LSU during their 2008 National Championship team .

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
The key to the offense will be the offensive line. Van Demark and De George will be stronger as they get another year in the weight room. If Crozier comes back great, if not Hubbard will do a better job than Oak or Vechery. Rutherford was pedestrian at LG and Peart has a chance to grow. I expect the line to be much improved and if we can establish a solid running game, it will make the passing game better. Also, converting on 3rd and short will not only continue drives, it will keep the D off the field.

Dunn has a chance to have a better offense than Lashlee just by having a better O line!!

Reaction Score
I expect the line to be much improved and if we can establish a solid running game, it will make the passing game better.

Dunn has a chance to have a better offense than Lashlee just by having a better O line!!
Agree 100%. Also agree that having the QB under center occasionally forcing the opposing D to deal with that look will be a good thing. A better OL also implies that protection will be better and the QB staying in the pocket more will also be a good thing.

But I think the lack of those things last year should not be put on Lashlee. And the fact that the O was so much more productive last year than the year before should not ever be lost on RE who wasn't here the year before last. In summary, all the things RE and Dunn want to accomplish I think we all agree on. My only worry is that the pendulum may swing too far back to the old days of "establish the run first" which leads inexorably to the hated RRPP. I think the emphasis has to be on the other foot. Establish the spread O and passing game first, use the running game to make it more effective and to get into the EZ.

Reaction Score
Not a splash hire...compared to the vacancy left by Lash. But who did we think we would get. UConn in the bottom of the AAC. Winning solves everything. Until we win my faith is elsewhere. I root for the team...but I go to games not expecting wins, just hoping not to be embarrassed. Until there are wins...my expectations are low! So I don’t care who we get, what system we run, or the play calling. The one sentence that stands out. He is a fundamentals guy. We do need that, but until this team acts like they have played division 1 football at a high level...learning fundamentals is practice and when our games are nothing more than scrimmages, we won’t see W’s at the end of the game but certain players will win their position while others lose. So no this hire doesn’t excite me, but truthfully NO hire would because no single hire can restore my faith. Only winning games will do that!

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
OT - its been a quiet start for John Dunn. Be nice if he did some interviews or something.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom