Week 6: Other Games | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Week 6: Other Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
What difference does it make? Creighton is cooked. Generally, when a team that is highly ranked in the preseason faceplants out of the gate like Creighton has, their season spirals.
That team was excellent when healthy in Hawaii. They are tough out when healthy. They have no depth, and it’s not a huge issue when healthy, but they can’t afford their best player out, and ineffective before being out.

Put that starting 5 on floor heathy though and they will beat a ton of teams in league.

Reaction Score
That team was excellent when healthy in Hawaii. They are tough out when healthy. They have no depth, and it’s not a huge issue when healthy, but they can’t afford their best player out, and ineffective before being out.

Put that starting 5 on floor heathy though and they will beat a ton of teams in league.
That’s going to be the concern with such a lack of depth. Are they actually going to be healthy enough to put a decent resume together? They’re still an impressive team when healthy. Feels like almost any injury will basically derail them.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

McDermott is going to have to coach a lot better than he did the last three games to turn this season around, Kalkbrenner is excellent, but Creighton shouldn't have lost all three of Nebraska, BYU and ASU without him. The other thing is, Creighton has 5 losses in the OOC. There are maybe 1 or 2 teams a year that make the NCAA tournament as an at-large after losing 5 in the OOC, and some years the number is probably 0. Realistically, Creighton needs 20 wins to get an at-large bid, which means 14-6 or better in the Big East. Have you seen a team capable of doing that the last two weeks?

This team thought they were challenging for a Final Four, and now they need to post a winning record in the Big East to get to the NIT. What do you think that will do to the chemistry and team morale?

If McDermott turns this team, from this point, around and makes it to the NCAA Tournament, he deserves Big East Coach of the Year. I won't hold my breath.

Reaction Score

Their team is excellent when healthy and when Nembhard randomly turns into an inferno. He was a 31% shooter from 3 last year, shot 4/15 (26%) before Maui and then shot 7/11 from 3 in Maui.

He's 2/19 in the last 4 games that they've lost since returning from Hawaii.

Reaction Score
Their team is excellent when healthy and when Nembhard randomly turns into an inferno. He was a 31% shooter from 3 last year, shot 4/15 (26%) before Maui and then shot 7/11 from 3 in Maui.

He's 2/19 in the last 4 games that they've lost since returning from Hawaii.
It doesn't help that Kaluma stinks every other game. They have so little depth that an injury to one of their starters is devastating and an off night from one of their starters is a lot to overcome.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
What a bizarre season we have in store. The year we launch into the sky with Hurley is also a huge rebuilding year for the Big East.

There are so many good coaches in this league, though. It’s just so early in their rebuild (Matta, Miller, Smart). In a couple years time, I expect Butler, Xavier and Marquette to be consistently top 25.

Reaction Score
ASU +4 was easy money tonight.
I couldn't get behind a team that lost to Texas-Southern and almost Tarleston St. But man they've really turned things around.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
What a bizarre season we have in store. The year we launch into the sky with Hurley is also a huge rebuilding year for the Big East.

There are so many good coaches in this league, though. It’s just so early in their rebuild (Matta, Miller, Smart). In a couple years time, I expect Butler, Xavier and Marquette to be consistently top 25.

Why is everything "huge" or "terrible"? The Big East is down a little. It is the 4th ranked conference in all the major computer rankings. Not great, not bad. I would like another Top 20 team or two, but on the flip side, other than Georgetown, no one in the league completely sucks. The bottom half of the ACC and Pac 12 is what terrible looks like.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Why is everything "huge" or "terrible"? The Big East is down a little. It is the 4th ranked conference in all the major computer rankings. Not great, not bad. I would like another Top 20 team or two, but on the flip side, other than Georgetown, no one in the league completely sucks. The bottom half of the ACC and Pac 12 is what terrible looks like.
It’s a huge rebuilding year because the biggest name coach of the conference got up and left, and there were multiple other coaching transitions in the last 1-2 years. Butler, Seton Hall, Xavier and Villanova alone had a coaching transition this year. That’s over 1/3 of the league (lol).
Not a single team outside of UConn is ranked in the top 25 after the non conference schedule. Half the league is hovering around .500 in the non conference.

Why does it bother you to call it a huge rebuilding year for the Big East?

It doesn’t mean the conference is dying. I think it can actually be really strong in the next 2-4 years considering the downward trajectory of the ACC and the # of high level coaches in the Big East.

Nowhere did I ever say the conference is terrible this year. Unbunch your panties.

Last edited:

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
FDU is currently on pace to score approximately 4 points
Screenshot_20221213-192639.png

Reaction Score
Memphis @ Alabama starting now. Hopefully Alabama doesn't overlook this team.

Side note: DeAndre Williams for Memphis is 26 years old??? This Memphis team is ridiculously old.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Memphis @ Alabama starting now. Hopefully Alabama doesn't overlook this team.

Side note: DeAndre Williams for Memphis is 26 years old??? This Memphis team is ridiculously old.

Going bold. Memphis wins this.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
It is the 4th ranked conference in all the major computer rankings.

NCAA College Basketball RPI Rankings (updated today) 5.
'The NCAA no longer uses the RPI in its NCAA Tournament selection & seeding process, having replaced it with the NET Rating. However, it reportedly displays a Strength of Schedule ranking derived from the RPI on the team sheets used during the selection process. In addition, we feel that publishing the old RPI ratings provides a useful point of comparison to the new NET Rating.'
me, too.
ratings to the left of me, ratings to the right of me... everywhere, ratings!

Reaction Score
Might be time to break up the BC Feebles - they beat Stonehill by a whopping 7 points.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
X beat Southern handily., but what's concerning me is Sean Miller has worn a logo'd pullover every game so far, denying us the glory of his fabulous flop sweat.
Bruce Pearl fan?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
X beat Southern handily., but what's concerning me is Sean Miller has worn a logo'd pullover every game so far, denying us the glory of his fabulous flop sweat.
Part of his image rebuild & reboot protocol.
FDU is currently on pace to score approximately 4 points View attachment 81892
#FairlyRidiculous

It’s a huge rebuilding year because the biggest name coach of the conference got up and left, and there were multiple other coaching transitions in the last 1-2 years. Butler, Seton Hall, Xavier and Villanova alone had a coaching transition this year.
That first sentence had me thinking, "Wtf, Kevin Willard, really?," and the second sentence, as written, actually strengthened that impression.

Reaction Score
Alabama up 3 on Memphis at home at the half. Somehow Memphis only took 2 3's in that first half.

Alabama looks better, but Memphis snuck out for a few sneaky transition baskets and kept it close despite not getting many open looks against Alabama D.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Alabama looks better, but Memphis snuck out for a few sneaky transition baskets and kept it close despite not getting many open looks against Alabama D.
You make it sound like Penny is coaching pretty well.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You make it sound like Penny is coaching pretty well.

I think Penny is a pretty good coach.

Alabama is a Top 5 talent team that just takes a few too many bad shots every game. They will probably beat Memphis, but that shot selection could leave them vulnerable to an early round exit in March.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think Penny is a pretty good coach.
Not that I disagree with you, I don't watch too much basketball besides UConn. But Penny being a good coach is not part of the narrative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom