We should take no joy in P's firing. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

We should take no joy in P's firing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm happy with the decision, and wish PP well. It was clear that he had lost the team, and that whatever he was trying wasn't going to succeed. I'm glad Warde had the fortitude to make the move mid-season.

But let's not assume that all our problems are solved. We've got an 0-4 team that should be at least 2-2, and only played well in one game (against its toughest opponent). We'll only know the interim coach later today. This team isn't going to right itself overnight. Our QB continues throwing INTs like there is no tomorrow. While everyone hated GDL's zone blocking scheme, can Foley fix that and install a new scheme in two weeks? How much change can we really expect, aside from possibly having the players show the intensity they had against Michigan all the time? Since change is in the air, giving Casey C or Boyle a shot at QB might be a good idea.

Reaction Score
He had a $750k buyout, he is going to be alright. i'm extatic he is gone and don't feel the least bit guilty about feeling that way.

Reaction Score
I don't care if he is a good guy or not. He was making too much money to be delivering this performance.

AND his cavalier attitude was killing me, with the " this isn't my first rodeo " cliche. And the "I am having fun". Nobody else was...

We should be happy, but this is just step one.

Reaction Score
I don't care if he is a good guy or not. He was making too much money to be delivering this performance.

AND his cavalier attitude was killing me, with the " this isn't my first rodeo " cliche. And the "I am having fun". Nobody else was...

We should be happy, but this is just step one.

He was putting the best face he could on a bad situation (of his making). Not any stupider than what half the coaches out their spew on a daily basis.He lost his job. Nuff said.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
P may be a good guy. GDL is not.

Exactly. If there were a way that I could piss on GDL's metaphoric coaching grave I would do so.

Two people (one is a member of this board) who are far more gentlemanly than I am used the terms "insufferable pr!ck" and "miserable excuse for a human being" when referring to GDL. He was abrasive, condescending and when he felt one of the offensive assistants was being anything other than subservient, mean spirited and derisive. He publicly berated quite a few players and a handful of coaches for basically asking him to clarify what it was he was asking the players to do. I know of one parent of a former player who told me "with the opportunity I would have punched him in the mouth".

Reaction Score
He was putting the best face he could on a bad situation (of his making). Not any stupider than what half the coaches out their spew on a daily basis.He lost his job. Nuff said.

But, he acted like it didn't matter and that his performance was kind of beyond reproach given his perceived depth and breadth of experience.

It was the wrong thing to say and was completely tone deaf. It was almost Edsallesque. Probably worse.

Reaction Score
It had to be done. But dancing on a man's grave is very poor behavior.

If anyone wants to fire me w/a $750K buyout, I'll rent the dance hall and buy drinks.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
You know what you should be worried about, Pal? Absent a clause to the contrary, "Coach" Pasqualoni and Deleone will be able to collect unemployment at the maximum amount. Although he should be released for cause, I question whether the pick slip reads like that. More needless milking of the system.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Coach P is truly one of the nicest coaches that I've ever met! Wish him well & hope he can just sit back & chill for a little bit.

Reaction Score

People lost their jobs every day for different reasons. He lost his because he was incompetent. He DESERVED to be fired! Nuff said.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
It's a good day for UConn athletics. Accountability has been restored to the football program. These are all positives.

Not a time be petty.

Petty? You of all people are advising others not to be petty? Did that just happen? Is this real life?

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
PP was fired because of his job performance. It happens.

It has nothing to do with him being a nice guy.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
You know what you should be worried about, Pal? Absent a clause to the contrary, "Coach" Pasqualoni and Deleone will be able to collect unemployment at the maximum amount. Although he should be released for cause, I question whether the pick slip reads like that. More needless milking of the system.:rolleyes:

LOL!!

Reaction Score
I don't know anything about GDL. But I have met P a couple of times, and we visited the complex with Sio soon after P was hired. It was very early on a Saturday morning and P spent a few minutes chatting with my son. He was a classy guy. I wish it would have worked out. It didn't. I'm happy that it is over, and P is a big boy with a big boy contract, so I don't feel bad for him. But there is no reason to deride him. He is no longer my concern.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I don't know anything about GDL. But I have met P a couple of times, and we visited the complex with Sio soon after P was hired. It was very early on a Saturday morning and P spent a few minutes chatting with my son. He was a classy guy. I wish it would have worked out. It didn't. I'm happy that it is over, and P is a big boy with a big boy contract, so I don't feel bad for him. But there is no reason to deride him. He is no longer my concern.

At the end of the day, the individuals in question are no longer associated with the football team of my alma mater, which I support and love. Going forward beyond this post, I will pay "Coach" Pasqualoni no further mind one way or the other.

Reaction Score
Coach P is truly one of the nicest coaches that I've ever met! Wish him well & hope he can just sit back & chill for a little bit.
He got fired because of his reluctance to cut the cord with his Goomba buddy.

Reaction Score
Shutup, he set you guys back years. You should be celebrating. You guys were painful to watch with him at the helm.
We were painful to watch with him at the helm, yes. SUNJ remains painful to watch in perpetuity.

Reaction Score

The only thing you, and we all, really need to know about Deleone, is that he's gone. He's not a likable person, and I don't think he cares one bit. Pasqualoni, is a well respected football coach in the NFL, and in college levels all over the country, and specificaly in our recruiting areas locally and in TExas and FLorida. It will be good for UCONN, if he maintains his residence in CT, adn has a continuing amicable relationship with the program, the guy has 40 years worth of football connections all over the country banked, and 40 years of coaching experience that extends into our recruiting territories banked.

Manuel, if he's a good manager of people, has found a way to relieve him of his coaching job, and not alienate him at the same time. They both know the job wasn't getting done.

As for George Deleone, he should be kept in a film room at all times IMNSHO, and only spoken to, when you have a question about nothing else than abstract x's and o's. It's got to be some kind of italian thing, the loyalty between those two. Pasqualoni I believe was given a decent paying job by Deleone a long, long time ago at SCSU. It could be as simple as that basic irrational loyalty because of that, or maybe Deleone has nudie pics of Pasqualoni. Who knows. But Pasqualoni's loyalty to Deleone, has tarnished his career, and is without a doubt a primary factor in the reason why P was fired from not one, but two division 1A collegiate head coaching jobs in the past 9 years.

Pasqualoni is making more $ with his severance check, than people making $35k a year can earn in 20 years and he's 64 years old. There is no reason to feel bad for this guy for not having work.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
It had to be done. But dancing on a man's grave is very poor behavior.

please, he stole a few million dollars from us and is still getting a nice buy-out while absolutely thrashing our program

I have no sympathy, in his chosen profession results matter

I do wish him well, I'm just ecstatic he was fired and there's no shame in that

Reaction Score
please, he stole a few million dollars from us and is still getting a nice buy-out while absolutely thrashing our program

I have no sympathy, in his chosen profession results matter

I do wish him well, I'm just ecstatic he was fired and there's no shame in that

He didn't steal anything. He failed at his job. It happens. In coaching it happens constantly.

The entire episode is a sad one for UConn. But schadenfruede is very unflattering to those who engage in it.

The king is dead, long live the king. Eyes forward. Let's go Huskies. Good luck coach Weist

Reaction Score
The only thing you, and we all, really need to know about Deleone, is that he's gone. He's not a likable person, and I don't think he cares one bit. Pasqualoni, is a well respected football coach in the NFL, and in college levels all over the country, and specificaly in our recruiting areas locally and in TExas and FLorida. It will be good for UCONN, if he maintains his residence in CT, adn has a continuing amicable relationship with the program, the guy has 40 years worth of football connections all over the country banked, and 40 years of coaching experience that extends into our recruiting territories banked.

Manuel, if he's a good manager of people, has found a way to relieve him of his coaching job, and not alienate him at the same time. They both know the job wasn't getting done.

As for George Deleone, he should be kept in a film room at all times IMNSHO, and only spoken to, when you have a question about nothing else than abstract x's and o's. It's got to be some kind of italian thing, the loyalty between those two. Pasqualoni I believe was given a decent paying job by Deleone a long, long time ago at SCSU. It could be as simple as that basic irrational loyalty because of that, or maybe Deleone has nudie pics of Pasqualoni. Who knows. But Pasqualoni's loyalty to Deleone, has tarnished his career, and is without a doubt a primary factor in the reason why P was fired from not one, but two division 1A collegiate head coaching jobs in the past 9 years.

Pasqualoni is making more $ with his severance check, than people making $35k a year can earn in 20 years and he's 64 years old. There is no reason to feel bad for this guy for not having work.

Someday I'll have to sit down with some of the SCSU old-timers and get their take on these guys. I'm amazed at how many coaches have ties to SCSU given its relative stature in the football universe. I think Lou Holtz was turned down by SCSU at some point (he mentioned it in an interview a while back)...

Reaction Score
I'm right with Palatine on the issue of Coach P. He's gone, and we're glad he's gone, but I'm not gloating. He's a decent and caring guy. As for GDL, that's another matter. I'll never forget being in Missoula MT on business and getting a call from one player's mother who needed to vent about how GDL was ruining her kid, both athletically and more importantly, his psyche. She was using me as a sounding board because she wanted to "pursue the pr*ck". She wasn't the only one either. He was, in my opinion, a petty, destructive guy who (emboldened by his closeness to P) thought he could get away with it. And for the most part he did. Until Monday. Dance away.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm right with Palatine on the issue of Coach P. He's gone, and we're glad he's gone, but I'm not gloating. He's a decent and caring guy. As for GDL, that's another matter. I'll never forget being in Missoula MT on business and getting a call from one player's mother who needed to vent about how GDL was ruining her kid, both athletically and more importantly, his psyche. She was using me as a sounding board because she wanted to "pursue the pr*ck". She wasn't the only one either. He was, in my opinion, a petty, destructive guy who (emboldened by his closeness to P) thought he could get away with it. And for the most part he did. Until Monday. Dance away.

P and GDL are a matched set. It's not right to say GDL was a pr*ck but P was a good guy. Whatever GDL did is on P just as much, even more IMO. P was the boss, all this was on his watch. He put loyalty to his bud above loyalty to the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom