We Should Be #1 on Monday | Page 2 | The Boneyard

We Should Be #1 on Monday

Reaction Score
We actually dropped four spots in KenPom after this win due to G'town's poor ranking, so I'm not expecting much of a move. Despite losing twice, Houston is still #1 by a mile. It's like their losses are somehow more impressive than our wins.

This isn't something UConn can really control. I think once we lost to Kansas, we were basically shut out from ever being #1 this year. We needed to have that specific win on our resume to overcome all the extreme bottom feeders on our schedule (nonconference cupcakes plus DePaul). I think enough voters look at those types of rankings to keep us from being bumped up, unless we literally go undefeated for a month and those other teams lose three games each.
Who has Houston beaten that's good?

Reaction Score
Houston? The Houston that lost twice?
Exactly. They didn’t play anyone decent before their league play started, and now that is has, they have lost their last 2 games. Doesn’t look good when you have an unblemished record playing only cupcakes.

Reaction Score
For the gazillionth time I can’t see why people are so obsessed by this but whatever. It’s Jan 15th……we aren’t into t-shirts around here last I checked.

Get healthy fast Donovan……painfully obvious these last couple games how much we need you.
I don't really care about being 2 to 25 but it's absurd notion to think that being #1 is not an important thing and carry weight for the program on a national level with media, recruiting, ect.

Reaction Score
I read an article earlier this week by one of the AP voters who gave his rationale regarding why he won't rank UConn #1.

Basically it comes down to Purdue having lots more Quad 1 wins and wins over top 25 teams AND our OOC schedule being so soft with so many really weak teams.

I don't see how the bottom teams should affect us so much when you look at how weak Houston's overall schedule is and how highly they've been ranked, but my overall take is SO WHAT!

The only benefit is national hype for the casual fans and maybe some recruits, while last year's tournament results showed the value of rankings.

Reaction Score
I read an article earlier this week by one of the AP voters who gave his rationale regarding why he won't rank UConn #1.

Basically it comes down to Purdue having lots more Quad 1 wins and wins over top 25 teams AND our OOC schedule being so soft with so many really weak teams.

I don't see how the bottom teams should affect us so much when you look at how weak Houston's overall schedule is and how highly they've been ranked, but my overall take is SO WHAT!

The only benefit is national hype for the casual fans and maybe some recruits, while last year's tournament results showed the value of rankings.

I agree with the rationale on Purdue. If the tournament started today they should be the overall number 1 based on their body of work. Houston was also punished in that it took them awhile to rise up the rankings and were still not number 1 despite no losses. They should plummet based on these 2 games.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I don't really care about being 2 to 25 but it's absurd notion to think that being #1 is not an important thing and carry weight for the program on a national level with media, recruiting, ect.

It's a really big deal for any team that hasn't been there before. For a team defending its fifth national championship, the goal is nothing less than the FF, and being in the position to win #6.

Reaction Score
W
ehhh i suspect one of houston or purdue will stay ahead of us.

Houston is LOL

Purdue should be behind us…

I see lot of BS out there on how they should stay #1 - no way… Our NC win where we put them away like D2 team is looking better and better and 2 what I would call quality losses. SH has show they are no slouch.

Reaction Score
Well Donny Marshall said "Purdue shouldn't be penalized and drop from #1 because Nebraska has a new team" or something weird like that. I get that he tries to be unbiased but he lays it on too thick at times.
My biggest complaint about him…. Donny, you don’t have to favor us but don’t think of things to say to “prove” your not a homer… takes away from your credibility at times And like to see you keep elevating to the natural next step in your career.

Reaction Score

Honestly believe the actual reason they won't rank Huskies 1 is because UConn twitter is completely bananas, and keeping them out of 1st place earns a lot of impressions they normally wouldn't see

Reaction Score
Anyone talking about "well we have to look at the overall resume" is looking for a reason to deny us.

This is the AP poll, not discussing the merits of the #1 overall seed.

If you lose, you should drop. Period.
I agree - this no team should stay #1 with a loss this time of the season to an unranked team no less.

Purdue is good but nowhere good enough to stay #1 with this type of loss. If UConn isn’t #1 on Monday it’s simply the anti-UConn bias rearing it’s ugly head once again.

No one at UConn will lose sleep if we’re number 2 but this is about what’s right… If positions reversed I would take the same position.

Reaction Score
I’m assuming (at least) three teams will be getting number one votes this week. Hope the math works out in our favor, being #1 is always nice. Obvi not the end goal but still always cool to see.

I understand the logic for Kansas and Purdue but you’d hate to see Kansas move up after a loss. Purdue might have better tourney resume at this point. Texas and Gonzaga wins not looking as good as they once did, but at least UNC is having a year

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Being the defending National champion and being #1 again the next year shows a lot about the program

Only if they continue to win.

How many national champs were #1 in January?

Reaction Score
Anyone talking about "well we have to look at the overall resume" is looking for a reason to deny us.

This is the AP poll, not discussing the merits of the #1 overall seed.

If you lose, you should drop. Period.
If UConn lost today, would UNC be your number 1 ranked team? Based on how these polls usually go, I’d expect UConn to be number 1, but given the craziness of this week I’m wondering how hard your rule of automatically dropping is.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom