We need to get Dham out of his funk | The Boneyard

We need to get Dham out of his funk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm sure I'll get killed for suggesting this, but why don't we have him play a little back to the basket and try to post up his man. He could play the 4 for a while and try to get some easier close to the basket chances, instead of the in consistent, over dribbling spin moves at the top.

He could still bring the ball down the court and then dish off to another guard and try to get position under the basket. He is one of our best rebounds and even if he missed, he would still be in good rebounding position for an offensive bound.

Reaction Score
Don't think that's an unreasonable suggestion. Needs to see the ball go in the hoop a bit more frequently to get some confidence back.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I would like to see our guys getting the ball to dham where he can make plays (including inside) rather than giving him the ball at the top of the key and watching him try to dribble through multiple defenders, then passing it out. He often stops ball movement.

Reaction Score
Who cares! We just got ZACH F----king BROWN! AAAAAHHHHHHHH!

who you won't see for two F---king YEARS. Maybe you shouldn't worry about recruiting so much and focus on the actual games that are being played this year.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
who you won't see for two F---king YEARS. Maybe you shouldn't worry about recruiting so much and focus on the actual games that are being played this year.

Not worried at all... For our games this year or 10 years from now. In KO I trust.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
UConn is now 7-2 in the 9 games without Brimah. All of his minutes are going to Nolan and Facey and personally, I've been pretty impressed with their improvement over the last month+.

Hamilton just doesn't have the same timing with Miller, Nolan, or Facey. When Brimah gets back, Hamilton will have his assist wubby back and he when the defense collapses on him, he will get back to throwing it up near the rim for the oop. If not, he will have a baby floater in the lane. Back to normal in about 3 weeks and just in time for the stretch run.

Reaction Score
I think the point is we just won a conference game by 18 and just got a commit from a top center. It'd be cool to just enjoy a good day for UConn basketball. Tomorrow at dawn we resume bitching and moaning.

Reaction Score
Listen, I'm ecstatic about Zach, but this team still has issues and we need DHam to be at his best to get into the NCAA. If your happy beating the worst team in the league, great. But, sans his first two baskets, Dham was not good. Why to you think KO pulled him for a large stretch of the game. He made bad shot selections and had two unforced turnovers in a row. This is now 5 games, where he looks lost. But, who cares, we got Zach Brown

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
DHam's funk goes away when he starts hitting shots. He needs to know that there is a hole between the back rim and the front rim. Maybe he needs to dunk a few. And that would mean stop the spin moves.

A clear plan for him right now may be needed. No dribble drives. Just stop and pop if you're looking to score. Otherwise don't change anything else.

Oh, and play some d?

Reaction Score
Last night Rothstein was talking about how UConn is looking to play DHam at the 4 like DeAndre a few years back. If we can get 50% of March/April 2014 DeAndre numbers out of Hamilton that would be major.

Reaction Score
I'm sure I'll get killed for suggesting this, but why don't we have him play a little back to the basket and try to post up his man. He could play the 4 for a while and try to get some easier close to the basket chances, instead of the in consistent, over dribbling spin moves at the top.

He could still bring the ball down the court and then dish off to another guard and try to get position under the basket. He is one of our best rebounds and even if he missed, he would still be in good rebounding position for an offensive bound.
Does he even have a post game? I mean he can do the spin move on the baseline I guess. LOL! Not sure that is the problem. I think playing smarter with the ball and making better decisions. He is now a marked man and teams know how to play him. He is going to develop his game now if he wants to get to the next level. It will be interesting to see. I think he will be fine. He looked better against Tulane and Houston even though his shooting still sucks.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
DHam's whole game is predicated on his belief that he can dribble at a high level, get into the lane and make a play. Unfortunately, his premise may be wrong. He can not dribble at a high level against good defenders. Without Brimah, he has a hard time finishing, usually short arming the shot. His spin move is the most predictable move in the world.
I think Ollie needs run plays for him, make him move without the ball. Have him flash to middle of the lane vs zone or cut to the hoop vs man to man. His goal being to just shoot it. An occasional foray into the lane is fine but not every time.

Reaction Score
DHam's whole game is predicated on his belief that he can dribble at a high level, get into the lane and make a play. Unfortunately, his premise may be wrong. He can not dribble at a high level against good defenders. Without Brimah, he has a hard time finishing, usually short arming the shot. His spin move is the most predictable move in the world.
I think Ollie needs run plays for him, make him move without the ball. Have him flash to middle of the lane vs zone or cut to the hoop vs man to man. His goal being to just shoot it. An occasional foray into the lane is fine but not every time.
I disagree a little bit. He can dribble but the problem is he isn't mixing up his game at all. Like you said that him cutting into the lane and doing a spin move or jacking a 3 are his only offense right now. He does have to learn to come off screens and roll to the basket. I still like him instigating the offense at the top of the key but not all the time. He really is our only play maker on the team.

Reaction Score
UConn is now 7-2 in the 9 games without Brimah. All of his minutes are going to Nolan and Facey and personally, I've been pretty impressed with their improvement over the last month+.

Hamilton just doesn't have the same timing with Miller, Nolan, or Facey. When Brimah gets back, Hamilton will have his assist wubby back and he when the defense collapses on him, he will get back to throwing it up near the rim for the oop. If not, he will have a baby floater in the lane. Back to normal in about 3 weeks and just in time for the stretch run.

I agree that not having Brimah near the hoop hurts as far as the "gravity" and pulling defenders to certain areas on the floor and giving DHam more room to operate and assist opportunities, but DHam has never had a baby floater and I don't see that changing soon. This stretch is definitely the worst he's been shooting wise but the fact is dude hasn't been a consistent shot maker whether they're contested or open shots, he's been short-arming shots in the lane since day 1 with Brimah and whoever on the floor.

Reaction Score
I agree that not having Brimah near the hoop hurts as far as the "gravity" and pulling defenders to certain areas on the floor and giving DHam more room to operate and assist opportunities, but DHam has never had a baby floater and I don't see that changing soon. This stretch is definitely the worst he's been shooting wise but the fact is dude hasn't been a consistent shot maker whether they're contested or open shots, he's been short-arming shots in the lane since day 1 with Brimah and whoever on the floor.
I never understood why he didn't incorporate the baby floater in his hame. He gets into the lane and pulls a front rim jumper most of the time. A touch shot like the baby floater, when perfected, is deadly. I also think one of the problems on his shots is that he doesn't really put any touch on them, or follow through that well. It'll come IMO, too good of a player and kid not to want to correct some of his shortcomings.

Reaction Score
I never understood why he didn't incorporate the baby floater in his hame. He gets into the lane and pulls a front rim jumper most of the time. A touch shot like the baby floater, when perfected, is deadly. I also think one of the problems on his shots is that he doesn't really put any touch on them, or follow through that well. It'll come IMO, too good of a player and kid not to want to correct some of his shortcomings.

I think the lack of touch and no floater in his game kind of go hand in hand. You gotta have touch and feel to be able to pull that off and DHam doesn't seem to have much of it from 10ft and in, I've never seen one dude short-arm as many easy shots from close range as him. Hate to stay in the UConn bubble but when you watch someone like Lamb hit floaters, leaners, and scoop shots from all angles and from either off the glass(on purpose) or straigh through the net, and then contrast that with DHam's struggle attempts that aren't close, the difference is startling.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Many good points in here. I like the back to back comments by @pnow15 and @3rdbass. I'd like to add that there's an aggressiveness missing, not only with DHam but with most of the team. Adams is the only one that can aggressively get into the lane and take a shot or kick it out. Purvis was close for a while with getting in the lane, but our Ferrari seemed to be lacking muscle right at the rim. On D, how many lazy reach fould have you seen by Miller and Nolan. Nolan had an awful one last night where he grabbed the guy in the line. Move your feet.
My question for this group is whether Ollie calls any plays other than from time outs and out of bounds? It doesn't seem it. Looks disorganized. If he's not running sets then maybe he should. When's the last time you saw someone curl off a screen and hit a mid range shot. Makes you miss the old days of Rip and Ray making a living off that.

Reaction Score
Has no left which really hurts. Is getting really good looks without the thought of passing the ball just not making them. They will fall again but it would behoove him to be able to go more to his left also. That fact in itself makes him easier to guard but again, he is getting good shots off there's just a lid and he's just aiming now. While there may be a small point to the Brimah thing the fact he is back there is also a negative at times due to the fact he seemed to be unsure about whether he was going to pass or shoot. Now he is sure and they just aren't going in, Ab being back there won't suddenly make these shots go in. His selection could be a little better also and maybe slow down and not spoil as much, stop and take the 10 footer without crazy dribbles.

Reaction Score
Not only Dham but Rodney and Adams are all shooting terrible. Sucks there slumping at the same time. These guys have to shoot better and score some points.

Reaction Score

I think your post will make the difference. D Ham will start hitting his shots after reading this.

Reaction Score
He is in shooting slump, although he was 43% from the field last game, and the shots will start falling again. He is a 45% shooter for the year outside the poor poor shooting in the previous 4 game stretch.

But he is 5th in the league in rebounds, 1st in defensive rebounds, 2nd in assists, 10th in steals, 4th in FT %, and 7th in Assist to TO ratio. There is a ton he is doing right and contributing to the team.

He is not my worry for this team going forward, Adams and Purvis need to play better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom