We have one wart... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

We have one wart...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pj

Reaction Score
HuskyfanDan, you know I very much sympathize with your point of view, but let's keep in mind the constraints. With our TV contract bringing in something like $3 mn a year, it's a big deal to give a $1 mn severance package to the head coach. Also it's not an easy environment right now to hire a quality replacement, with the uncertain conference situations. Cincy showed you can do it, but it cost them $5 mn a year! That's a lot of dough to shell out. If our conference situation resolves successfully in a year, it will be much easier to hire a good coach.

We don't know what budgetary constraints Warde is operating under, but it's plausible that he has a budget and can't get subsidies from the university.

The right thing to do was to replace the offensive coordinator, but if PP strongly opposed that, it might have been considered too disruptive to the coaching staff for Warde to force it. Again, it might have been impossible to hire a quality OC into a situation where he would lack the full support of the head coach and the whole coaching staff might be fired in a year.

I don't like the heightened academic standards -- APR is bull**** and they should work around it like other schools do, not try to live up to it -- and I wish we had made a few decisions differently, but they will do the right thing in regard to coaches eventually. The conference situation is miserable but hopefully we will grow into the B1G; and I think TV networks will push the B1G our way as this is revenue-maximizing to have one of the major conferences have a presence in New England, and BC isn't drawing New England TV viewers. It's true that the B1G could go south, but so can the SEC and B12 and ACC and if the B1G goes there too it won't generate as large a total pie as if the B1G stays north and the southern conferences split the south.

I think we have to be patient, keep supporting the team and school, and wait for things to get better. They will.

Reaction Score
My son had drinks with Frey's girlfriend at the Fiesta Bowl and she intimated that Robbie was not too happy about his playing time. So perhaps he would have left anyway.

Hmmm... That's weird. Frey ran for 389 yards on 75 carries that season in a backfield w/ Todman who already announced he was leaving for the NFL. Frey would have been the Huskies' most experienced tailback going into 2011. He was also the top return threat coming back. One would think his PT would increase. Young love...

Reaction Score
If Edsall was such a genius he would not be 6-18. Injuries? We haven't had injuries? P sucks, so does Edsall. I bet both are fired after this year.

After the fiesta bowl we were depleted on the offensive side of the ball for what had been our bread and butter, a power running game with backs that didnt go down first contact and mauling olines. Let's not pretend Edsall has left here and proven how great he is since he's left. He had the ideal situation here for a coach and left it. Two programs have been wrecked as a result.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Hmmm... That's weird. Frey ran for 389 yards on 75 carries that season in a backfield w/ Todman who already announced he was leaving for the NFL. Frey would have been the Huskies' most experienced tailback going into 2011. He was also the top return threat coming back. One would think his PT would increase. Young love...

This!!!

It's okay. I get it. I made a similar choice in my life (one that I have never regretted), but it is more than clear that Robbie would have been the every-down back here...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If Edsall was such a genius he would not be 6-18. Injuries? We haven't had injuries? P sucks, so does Edsall. I bet both are fired after this year.

After the fiesta bowl we were depleted on the offensive side of the ball for what had been our bread and butter, a power running game with backs that didnt go down first contact and mauling olines. Let's not pretend Edsall has left here and proven how great he is since he's left. He had the ideal situation here for a coach and left it. Two programs have been wrecked as a result.

Who called him a genius?

I will never understand why what Edsall does at Maryland changes what he did here. The results were the results. If he went 12-0 at Maryland guess what - the results are still the results. Of all the consistently stupid points made around here this one ranks near the top.

Let me ask you a question: Do the struggles of Donald Brown in the NFL reflect on what he did at UConn? Exactly - get over Edsall's record at Maryland it has nothing to do with what he did here.

Did Notre Dame have to give back their most recent NC because Holtz stunk at South Carolina? I guess Notre Dame fans who prefered Holtz to Davie, Ty and Charlie are idiots because he was 0-12 at USCe.

Reaction Score
Look, I'll admit he had decent success here but why wouldn't it matter? If he was lighting up there I'm sure you'd be using it as a measuring stick of how great he is. Fact of the matter is he is nothing special. The right guy to transition UConn to FBS. It was clear he was never going to be a guy who led you to double digit win seasons or end the year ranked. His record at Maryland is worse than P's here. You don't think its relevant I do. They both suck and have caused the programs they took over to regress severely. Would Edsall be doing better here than P, I think so, but he left so fluck him.

Reaction Score

Not only that, Frey's numbers were down from what they would have been because he was nursing an injury the first part of the year. He would have gone into spring ball as the presumptive starting TB. Sheesh.

Reaction Score
It was clear he was never going to be a guy who led you to double digit win seasons or end the year ranked..

For the record, that wasn't nearly as clear to me as the fact that we had fans who were totally unrealistic about where a good coach should have us less than ten years into playing I-A ball.

But you are right on he left so fluck him. That I have no issue with.

Reaction Score
The same complaints were going around then. But not from people with triple digit I.Qs

And no one who doesn't live in bizarro world finds it to be a negative when you win your conference and reap the rewards of doing so in anything.

The posts here can be used as evidence that IQ is only one tool for measuring intelligence no matter how many digits are in the result.

Believe me I reaped the Fiesta and I have the pictures and witnesses to prove it. I think some just have a loftier view of where the program is compared to what it actually is.

UConnDan97 - thanks for that link, I stand corrected, I honestly don't remember that article, I do however remember it being reported that he didn't get in, either way we could have used him he chose another path

Reaction Score
For the record, that wasn't nearly as clear to me as the fact that we had fans who were totally unrealistic about where a good coach should have us less than ten years into playing I-A ball.

But you are right on he left so fluck him. That I have no issue with.
If he was really in it for the long haul at UConn , maybe you're right but we Wii never know.. To me he always had one eye on the door and that made him even more unlikeable than he already was.

I doubt he ever coaches a game in the big 10. Do people really think that wouldn't speak to his overall coaching abilities if it happens???

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
The posts here can be used as evidence that IQ is only one tool for measuring intelligence no matter how many digits are in the result.

Believe me I reaped the Fiesta and I have the pictures and witnesses to prove it. I think some just have a loftier view of where the program is compared to what it actually is.

UConnDan97 - thanks for that link, I stand corrected, I honestly don't remember that article, I do however remember it being reported that he didn't get in, either way we could have used him he chose another path

Honestly Jerry, I think the reason that you remember it being reported differently is that so many on the Boneyard have propagated that myth. But you're right that we could have definitely used him. Don't get me wrong; McCombs had a good year that year and Nick Williams began to show that he was....Nick Williams...but having an athlete like Robbie would have certainly helped us a lot. I heard that he got cut from the Atlanta Falcons, but I'm rooting for him to make his way back into the NFL...

Reaction Score
quote="noeynox, post: 451855, member: 156"]If he was really in it for the long haul at UConn , maybe you're right but we Wii never know.. To me he always had one eye on the door and that made him even more unlikeable than he already was.

I doubt he ever coaches a game in the big 10. Do people really think that wouldn't speak to his overall coaching abilities if it happens???[/quote]

I don't care enough how he does at Maryland to make the case. But having decided to blow the program up to start from square one and do it his way doesn't really get to his coaching.

Reaction Score
I think that's a convenient excuse. Good coaches win early at their new jobs. Hell even Charlie Weis was an immediate upgrade. When coaches do as poorly as Edsall and P have at their new jobs, the writing is on the wall. I think because we watch ALL of UConn s plays we see deficiencies in his coaching that weren't there under Edsall and conclude he is worlds worse as a HC. To me they're about the same. It took P two years to match Edsall s win total against ranked teams. Speaks volumes to me.

Reaction Score
I should have said win early when they're not taking over GROB type situation which neither P or Edsall were and you see how quickly Marrone turned that nightmare around.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I should have said win early when they're not taking over GROB type situation which neither P or Edsall were and you see how quickly Marrone turned that nightmare around.

At risk of sounding like I want to defend Edsall (because I don't; I want to punch him in the throat for the way he left the team), have you seen his last two recruiting years at Maryland??? They are ridiculously impressive; the type of stuff that he wasn't even close to doing here. That team is going to be really good really soon, I'm afraid:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/connecticut/football/recruiting/commitments/2012/maryland-5
http://rivals.yahoo.com/connecticut/football/recruiting/commitments/2013/maryland-5

We already know what Stefon Diggs and Perry Hills could do as freshmen. But give Edsall one or two more years with that type of talent, and I really believe he's going to make some big time waves. They aren't going to get rid of him anytime soon...

Reaction Score
At risk of sounding like I want to defend Edsall (because I don't; I want to punch him in the throat for the way he left the team), have you seen his last two recruiting years at Maryland??? They are ridiculously impressive; the type of stuff that he wasn't even close to doing here. That team is going to be really good really soon, I'm afraid:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/connecticut/football/recruiting/commitments/2012/maryland-5
http://rivals.yahoo.com/connecticut/football/recruiting/commitments/2013/maryland-5

We already know what Stefon Diggs and Perry Hills could do as freshmen. But give Edsall one or two more years with that type of talent, and I really believe he's going to make some big time waves. They aren't going to get rid of him anytime soon...

As long as he has Locksley - he'll be fine (unless NCAA comes calling)...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
As long as he has Locksley - he'll be fine (unless NCAA comes calling)...

Yeah, but can it all really be due to Locksley? I've heard that Locksley is a really good recruiter, but it has to also say something about belief in the head guy when you see recruiting classes like that. Hell, he's even got the number 1 JUCO prospect this year! I don't remember him going after a lot of JUCO's in his time at UConn, but I guess he's getting them from everywhere now...

Reaction Score
Locksley is a stud recruiter, but if they don't go bowling this year, I doubt they get year four. We will see. I could care less how he does, except when he is constantly brought up here as if he was forced out to bring in P, like fridge was forced out to bring him in.

In regards to Riggs, his mom wanted him there and no where else. Think Aaron Hernandez before his dad passed .

Reaction Score
except when he is constantly brought up here as if he was forced out to bring in P, like fridge was forced out to bring him in.

Is there any chance whatsoever you actually have a quote that anyone claims Edsall was forced out to bring in P? Even one in the two years since Edsall left?

Reaction Score
No, but I do get tired of hearing the lamenting that he is gone. Fluck him he left. In the time since he's left he has sucked worse than both the guy he replaced, and the guy that replaced him. He even managed to lose to the guy we want fired head to head at home. Sorry I don't miss him, and yeah P was a bad hire. See the two things aren't mutually exclusive. I could be glad Edsall left and hate that P was the guy hired to replace him.

Reaction Score
No, but I do get tired of hearing the lamenting that he is gone. Fluck him he left. In the time since he's left he has sucked worse than both the guy he replaced, and the guy that replaced him. He even managed to lose to the guy we want fired head to head at home. Sorry I don't miss him, and yeah P was a bad hire. See the two things aren't mutually exclusive. I could be glad Edsall left and hate that P was the guy hired to replace him.

What a post. You admit you were caught in a flat out lie, and then you just go on attacking anyway. Bravo, that takes balls.

Reaction Score
Thanks. You go right on taking yourself so seriously. Who am I "attacking" ? its an attack that I don't think he is a special coach? Some here talk about like we lost Brian Kelly. I can't wait till P is gone so we could just move forward from Edsall.

Deep down inside I just know you wish Edsall was tearing it up so you can rub it in the anti Edsall group. Sorry your hero has disappointed.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Thanks. You go right on taking yourself so seriously. Who am I "attacking" ? its an attack that I don't think he is a special coach? Some here talk about like we lost Brian Kelly. I can't wait till P is gone so we could just move forward from Edsall.

Deep down inside I just know you wish Edsall was tearing it up so you can rub it in the anti Edsall group. Sorry your hero has disappointed.

I hope you are enjoying arguing with the voices in your head.

The only people worried about Maryland are the anti-Edsall posters who want to use their results to say something about what Edsall did at UConn. I noticed you haven't commented on Brown or Holtz because in doing so you'd have to admit your argument is moronic.

Harping on the win loss record of a program that used a true freshman linebacker at QB is pretty silly. Lets say they make the chip shot FG against NCSU and they get one stop on BC's final drive and finish 6-6. Are you still making these arguments?

It does not matter why Diggs is at Maryland, only that he is there. In case you've never noticed there is a bit of a correlation between where a player lives and where they go to school.

Jesus I get some of y'all have delusions of grandeur, but a decade into FBS going 8-5 year in and year out in an improving program.... You'd think the last two years would show you that was a pretty decent accomplishment. I can't wait to hear how next year's 3-9 campaign is Edsall's fault.

Reaction Score
Whaler what does Donald Brown or any player have to do with coaching. Great college players don't always make great pro players. Surely Donald Brown isn't the first college star you've heard of who's college success doesn't translate to the pros. I didn't address that because its as you say moronic. Funny you bring up Holtz, South Carolina certainly didntcregress under him that's for sure.

I think were arguing to different things. If you want to compare just what they did at UConn, Edsall is better hands down. When talking about how good a coach is I look at the whole record. That means P at Cuse and Edsall at UMD. Their abilities are pretty similar to me. Edsall is younger so he has that going for him.

To me Edsall is no different than Al groh at uva, or chan gailey at Georgia Tech. You're never going to get over the hump with those guys. That is not to say he is terrible because he isn't. He's just nothing special.

Since were talking hypothetical s, if Christen makes one fg, against Temple and were bowling instead of sitting home do you feel differently about P? Didn't think so.

I don't hide the fact that Edsall s personality through the media rubbed me the wrong way. When we lost it was always the "players didn't execute", when we beat ND, the first thing out his mouth was how proud he was ofctje coaches, not the players the coaches.

The day I began disliking Edsall was the day we got blown out against WVU in 2007, when he chose to be a dick to reporters trying to do their job and you know ask questions. If your going to be that type of lrick you better win like a Parcells or Calhoun.

To each their own. Hopefully when P is gone, so too will Edsall shadow be gone with him. I have repeated ly stated Edsall did a fine job here. The perfect guy for the transition, but nothing special long term like A Brian Kelly or Bill Snyder.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Whaler what does Donald Brown or any player have to do with coaching. Great college players don't always make great pro players. Surely Donald Brown isn't the first college star you've heard of who's college success doesn't translate to the pros. I didn't address that because its as you say moronic. Funny you bring up Holtz, South Carolina certainly didntcregress under him that's for sure.

I think were arguing to different things. If you want to compare just what they did at UConn, Edsall is better hands down. When talking about how good a coach is I look at the whole record. That means P at Cuse and Edsall at UMD. Their abilities are pretty similar to me. Edsall is younger so he has that going for him.

To me Edsall is no different than Al groh at uva, or chan gailey at Georgia Tech. You're never going to get over the hump with those guys. That is not to say he is terrible because he isn't. He's just nothing special.

Since were talking hypothetical s, if Christen makes one fg, against Temple and were bowling instead of sitting home do you feel differently about P? Didn't think so.

I don't hide the fact that Edsall s personality through the media rubbed me the wrong way. When we lost it was always the "players didn't execute", when we beat ND, the first thing out his mouth was how proud he was ofctje coaches, not the players the coaches.

The day I began disliking Edsall was the day we got blown out against WVU in 2007, when he chose to be a dick to reporters trying to do their job and you know ask questions. If your going to be that type of lrick you better win like a Parcells or Calhoun.

To each their own. Hopefully when P is gone, so too will Edsall shadow be gone with him. I have repeated ly stated Edsall did a fine job here. The perfect guy for the transition, but nothing special long term like A Brian Kelly or Bill Snyder.

You want to ding Edsall at UConn because of what happened at Maryland. Are you willing to ding Brown at UConn for what happened in Indianapolis?

The UConn beat reporters are so terrible they don't deserve the time of day. I can't even imagine why anyone would give a about someone being rude to them. We have 12 games to judge coaches. What they say to idiots in between games... Who gives a ? Half the people killed Edsall for has been regurgitated by the walking corpse we currently have as a head coach - at least Edsall was beating MAC teams.

No one has ever compared Edsall to Snyder or Kelly. If you know who the next Brian Kelly is feel free to point them out now - it would be handy information for next December.

As for pining for Kelly:

A: read the Washington Post story about how Kelly's program is allowing rapists to play

B: take a quick spin on Google and read about how Kelly sent the student manager to his death.

But Edsall was mean to idiot reporters, and mentioned his coaches before his players..... How do you possibly rectify those points?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom