We have one wart... | The Boneyard

We have one wart...

Status
Not open for further replies.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
And that's the current state of our potential cash cow, football.

Geno's here for life and HCKO just got his security blanket. UConn has the academics and a Top 10 athletic program. I wonder why the big boys aren't knocking on our door.

Fix the Football problem, Warde!

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
And that's the current state of our potential cash cow, football.

Geno's here for life and HCKO just got his security blanket. UConn has the academics and a Top 10 athletic program. I wonder why the big boys aren't knocking on our door.

Fix the Football problem, Warde!

didn't u hear the news? hes waiting for the football players semester grades before he sign pp to a extension or fies him based off report cards.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
didn't u hear the news? hes waiting for the football players semester grades before he sign pp to a extension or fies him based off report cards.

Take a deep breath, D.

Rumor has it PP promises all current players have passed calisthenics and have applied for the GI Bill. He's got his finger on the pulse of the program.

Reaction Score
By "fix" are you implying we have had a relevant program at some point? Yes we have had some success but lets not live in a fantasy here, our program needs to be built not fixed.

HFD- you really gotta let it go man, I think its safe to say we admire your loyalty and dedication but the constant negative crap is really getting old, not to mention the perception you are reinforcing. You can't even be positive about the KO contract because he didn't jump on the leap of faith that you did for a guy who never coached a game at any level. We all like KO he earned the contract and got it, whatever WM used as a gauge is his right as AD. Can't you just be happy that WM took the time and made the right decision, unlike the former AD who took the time but botched the whole damn thing.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
By "fix" are you implying we have had a relevant program at some point? Yes we have had some success but lets not live in a fantasy here, our program needs to be built not fixed.

HFD- you really gotta let it go man, I think its safe to say we admire your loyalty and dedication but the constant negative crap is really getting old, not to mention the perception you are reinforcing. You can't even be positive about the KO contract because he didn't jump on the leap of faith that you did for a guy who never coached a game at any level. We all like KO he earned the contract and got it, whatever WM used as a gauge is his right as AD. Can't you just be happy that WM took the time and made the right decision, unlike the former AD who took the time but botched the whole damn thing.

if u think warde saw what he wanted to see and thats why he gave ko the contract then i ask u this-wtf does he see in our fball staff that they are around for year 3? doesn't that scare u a bit? the answer is he sees nothing and has no clue. he just knows ko is the coach here whether he likes it or not and he decided to do a power struggle instead of taking care of it and focusings on fball. he is in way over his head and ppl here can't handle the truth on it. if u honestly think warde said i like how he coaches and practice looks good etc, then wtf did warde say when he went to a fball game or practice? it had to be a nightmare, no? so then why didn't he take care of that? way over his head.

Reaction Score
if u think warde saw what he wanted to see and thats why he gave ko the contract then i ask u this-wtf does he see in our fball staff that they are around for year 3? doesn't that scare u a bit? the answer is he sees nothing and has no clue. he just knows ko is the coach here whether he likes it or not and he decided to do a power struggle instead of taking care of it and focusings on fball. he is in way over his head and ppl here can't handle the truth on it. if u honestly think warde said i like how he coaches and practice looks good etc, then wtf did warde say when he went to a fball game or practice? it had to be a nightmare, no? so then why didn't he take care of that? way over his head.

No, trivial things like that don't scare me. Regardless of his decisions I will wake up tomorrow, take care of my family to the best of my abilities, and continue to be a diehard fan of the University I love.

How do you know that the short term contract was not one that was agreed to by not only WM and KO but JC as well? He wasn't given a choice with KO, and yeah it probably bothered him that he was told the next coach of our national level BB program was going to be a guy who never coached a game before and he has no say in it. So he was cautious BFD, he has made seemingly the right decision get over it. If he did it your way and KO turned out to be a coach that needed some more seasoning so to speak you would be complaining about why he gave him the contract too early?

And for the record I can't stand the fact that he is letting the coaches that seem to be the problem stay while we lose coaches like DB. A mentor of mine once said I will give you the "rope" to make your own decsions its up to you whether you make something secure or hang yourself with it. It seems to me that he has exactly that same mentatlity in his management style. He's not in over his head, he has however had the unfortunate task of dealing with far too many "dumpster fires" (to borrow one of your terms) and every time someone walks by the dumpster, instead of trying to put it out, they throw a gallon of gas on the damn thing. You and some vocal others pretend to have some knowledge about how and when things should be done, when in fact if you had to deal with the crap on his plate in the short time he has been here you would've probably jumped off a bridge by now.

Reaction Score
We had momentum in Football with Randy Edsall. An energy. Everyone rational understood that we had a learning curve & it would take us awhile to be fully competitive. So ... the Edsall years were solid. Now we are flatlining. There's no energy in our boards on recruiting. You'll hear water cooler talk of how inept that 120th rated Offense was. We aren't selling or marketing well. Dead ... I say. One bad HC hire. Then, I say, a No Confidence vote so far on WM.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
No, trivial things like that don't scare me. Regardless of his decisions I will wake up tomorrow, take care of my family to the best of my abilities, and continue to be a diehard fan of the University I love.

How do you know that the short term contract was not one that was agreed to by not only WM and KO but JC as well? if all 3 were in on this half year get it done bs thing, then ppl who need to know it would know about it. what do i mena by that? our point guard wouldn't go to the media, big time talking heads after talking with sources inside the program wouldn't roast uconn over the flames on national tv and so on...He wasn't given a choice with KO, and yeah it probably bothered him that he was told the next coach of our national level BB program was going to be a guy who never coached a game before and he has no say in it. So he was cautious BFD, he has made seemingly the right decision get over it. If he did it your way and KO turned out to be a coach that needed some more seasoning so to speak you would be complaining about why he gave him the contract too early? no, and for saftey measures he could have had a small buyout after year 1 or 2 that would save wardes ass easy and make warde seem like the good guy who gave it a try but didn't work lalala.

And for the record I can't stand the fact that he is letting the coaches that seem to be the problem stay while we lose coaches like DB. A mentor of mine once said I will give you the "rope" to make your own decsions its up to you whether you make something secure or hang yourself with it. It seems to me that he has exactly that same mentatlity in his management style. He's not in over his head, he has however had the unfortunate task of dealing with far too many "dumpster fires" (to borrow one of your terms) yes i like that term :D and every time someone walks by the dumpster, instead of trying to put it out, they throw a gallon of gas on the damn thing. You and some vocal others pretend to have some knowledge about how and when things should be done, when in fact if you had to deal with the crap on his plate in the short time he has been here you would've probably jumped off a bridge by now. i would have had this place rocking before christmas eve, marketing a new era of uconn with a new fball coach, and 2 bball contract and a flashy new # and all thats . i wouldnt go to bed or drink till so...[/quote]

my major problem with warde is he has no vsision. $ wise he costed the ad by not taking action and instead taking safe ways around things.
-change the fball staff now, while the buyout may cost some so end result is 30k season tix next year considering the schedule and a lot of sell outs based off future hope.
-branding, i can go on for days and making millions about it...
-ko contract, could have got him cheaper earlier and used that saved money short term to buyout the fball coach which longterm is a nice penny dodge. and so on...

Reaction Score
We had momentum in Football with Randy Edsall. An energy. Everyone rational understood that we had a learning curve & it would take us awhile to be fully competitive. So ... the Edsall years were solid. No we are flatlining. There's no energy in our boards on recruiting. You'll hear water cooler talk of how inept that 120th rated Offense was. We aren't selling or marketing well. Dead ... I say. One bad HC hire. Then, I say, a No Confidence vote so far on WM.

Really? Solid? The year we went to the Fiesta Bowl the perception was that we were a joke to get there, and we were the punchline when it was over, regardless of the fact that without an offensive TD we only trailed by 10 with 10+ mins to go. We haven't been able to recruit an effective QB since Dan O came on board(I believe our momentum was killed here when Ryan Tracy left unexpectadly forcing us to not be able to RS DO, hence he left in 2004 instead of 2005), TL was the closest and he was limited after the injury his first season. Our WRs have not been a productive unit since 2004 as well (although this unit has improved) All of the recruits that are on our Oline that couldn't pass block for two years or run block this year are all Edsall recruits (not that GDL didn't mess them up as well) but lets say that this unit has declined 2 seasons in a row as well thanks to Edsall. If thats solid then hey I'm way off base. The sun shown on us when we were allowed to enter D1 football in a BCS level conference. Our program has been hardly worthy of it, we have had a handful of quality wins, and thanks to a diluted conference because of realignment we were able to have some mild success.

BTW the same complaints were going around then too, RE should be fired, OC sucks, schedule sucks, so-and-so doesn't know what the hell they are doing they should do X (because a week after the decision was made and with the benefit of being able to watch what went wrong over and over again, and no worry of it actually being implemented or having to make a decsion on the fly...my idea would've worked!!)

Reaction Score
if all 3 were in on this half year get it done bs thing, then ppl who need to know it would know about it. what do i mena by that? our point guard wouldn't go to the media, big time talking heads after talking with sources inside the program wouldn't roast uconn over the flames on national tv and so on... you really think they consult with their 20 year old PG about these things? Or is it more likely that the 20 yr old PG is shooting his mouth off about things he knows little to nothing about all in an effort to "help" the coach he likes?
no, and for saftey measures he could have had a small buyout after year 1 or 2 that would save wardes ass easy and make warde seem like the good guy who gave it a try but didn't work lalala.
Its no different then what they have done now, it just wasn't done when and how you wanted so you get mad and continue to harp on it even though it has been resolved.

i would have had this place rocking before christmas eve, marketing a new era of uconn with a new fball coach, and 2 bball contract and a flashy new # and all thats ****. i wouldnt go to bed or drink till so...[/quote]

And while you were making all these cut and dry decisions that apparently have no consequences or repercussions...nevermind I'm doing exactly what I said I wouldn't. I will have faith that it will work out, JC believes, GA believes, I will too. Besides we've been kicked in the nuts far too much the last couple of years, it can't get worse can it? This contract is a turning point...I hope!!

Reaction Score
We'll be in a bigger conference, we just have to wait for some dominoes to fall. Pawns in the game.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The last two years have only made me a bigger fan of Edsall.

That being said I think the QB position fell apart when Edsall though DJ Hernandez was the ultimate answer. Even if Tracey stayed to get killed in 2001 there was no answer for 2006.

Reaction Score
Bullsh1t. As it related to the ACC expansion, SU was tapped when their FB was gawd-awful, and Pitt was tapped when their FB was average at best while going through a coaching carousel. Both on the heels of UConn coming off a BCS year. The past moves had absolutely nothing to do with whether we were 5-7 or 9-4 in FB. It had nothing to do with whether we put 35k or 40k in Rentschler. It had nothing to do with us selling 4K Fiesta Bowl tickets thru the University or bringing 12K+ to Arizona. We were boxed out by BCU with the support of a few others who were indifferent over whether it was UConn or Pitt, and then we were boxed out in a power struggle between Tobacco Road and Tally with the support of a number of schools who were indifferent over whether it was UL or UConn.

As it relates to the B1G expansion, we did not have the cable subscription #'s in our favor, not even close. Nothing more. Nothing less.

UConn will land on its feet, just taking longer than any here like.

Reaction Score

That being said I think the QB position fell apart when Edsall though DJ Hernandez was the ultimate answer. Even if Tracey stayed to get killed in 2001 there was no answer for 2006.

Because one more year of success early in our transition would have opened more eyes to the program, recruits, media, perception etc. The extra year of development would have helped.

SAMCRO- not really sure what you are ranting about, this conversation is not about realignment.

Reaction Score
Really? Solid? The year we went to the Fiesta Bowl the perception was that we were a joke to get there, and we were the punchline when it was over, regardless of the fact that without an offensive TD we only trailed by 10 with 10+ mins to go. We haven't been able to recruit an effective QB since Dan O came on board(I believe our momentum was killed here when Ryan Tracy left unexpectadly forcing us to not be able to RS DO, hence he left in 2004 instead of 2005), TL was the closest and he was limited after the injury his first season. Our WRs have not been a productive unit since 2004 as well (although this unit has improved) All of the recruits that are on our Oline that couldn't pass block for two years or run block this year are all Edsall recruits (not that GDL didn't mess them up as well) but lets say that this unit has declined 2 seasons in a row as well thanks to Edsall. If thats solid then hey I'm way off base. The sun shown on us when we were allowed to enter D1 football in a BCS level conference. Our program has been hardly worthy of it, we have had a handful of quality wins, and thanks to a diluted conference because of realignment we were able to have some mild success.

BTW the same complaints were going around then too, RE should be fired, OC sucks, schedule sucks, so-and-so doesn't know what the hell they are doing they should do X (because a week after the decision was made and with the benefit of being able to watch what went wrong over and over again, and no worry of it actually being implemented or having to make a decsion on the fly...my idea would've worked!!)

Until this last post I was going to nominate you for office in the Glass Half Empty club but you're way too negative for that association.

Reaction Score

Really, despite what he has looked at his next gig, and even though he would have left himself with a walk on QB and very little talent at RB? The follow up hire was the problem, not the fact that Edsall torpedoed his own career.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Really, despite what he has looked at his next gig, and even though he would have left himself with a walk on QB and very little talent at RB? The follow up hire was the problem, not the fact that Edsall torpedoed his own career.

Yeah really. After the last two miserable years I respect the job he did more. Yep they didn't have a quarterback in 2011. Not sure that means I should ignore the decade.

He'll be fine at Maryland anyway. If any of the QB's hadn't gotten hurt they would have gone bowling playing freshman all over the field.

And yeah the follow up hire was UConn's problem but it's not an easy job no matter who you hire.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Yeah really. After the last two miserable years I respect the job he did more. Yep they didn't have a quarterback in 2011. Not sure that means I should ignore the decade.

He'll be fine at Maryland anyway. If any of the QB's hadn't gotten hurt they would have gone bowling playing freshman all over the field.

And yeah the follow up hire was UConn's problem but it's not an easy job no matter who you hire.

In addition, wasn't Cody Endres going to be a senior QB in 2011 if he stayed in the program? He might not have been Dan Marino, but Endres was solid. So I have to give Edsall credit there as well. Also, Robbie Frey left, who would have also been a game-changer as well...

Reaction Score
In addition, wasn't Cody Endres going to be a senior QB in 2011 if he stayed in the program? He might not have been Dan Marino, but Endres was solid. So I have to give Edsall credit there as well. Also, Robbie Frey left, who would have also been a game-changer as well...

Just a point of order, Frey graduated and wasn't admitted into the grad program he sought.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Yes. Don't think Frey would have turned out differently, but Endres could have been there if he made better decisions.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Just a point of order, Frey graduated and wasn't admitted into the grad program he sought.

Just a point of order. He WAS admitted into the program, and I have commented on this board about that fact numerous times. He went back to Kutztown due mostly to wanting to be home with his fiancee (who he is now married to).

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
For the umpteenth time on the board:

http://articles.courant.com/2011-02...ch-edsall-kelmetrus-wylie-jonathan-jean-louis

"I had been thinking about things during the season and was worried about my future, and when I met Coach Pasqualoni, he had helped me get into Master's classes and work toward my degree. But I had visited Kutztown and decided that it really would be right for me."

At Kutztown, Frey will be able to graduate in 18 months and be certified to teach high school social studies in Pennsylvania. At UConn, it would have taken two years or longer. He also got engaged last summer, though he insisted that wasn't a factor in his move.

Reaction Score
We had momentum in Football with Randy Edsall. An energy. Everyone rational understood that we had a learning curve & it would take us awhile to be fully competitive. So ... the Edsall years were solid. Now we are flatlining. There's no energy in our boards on recruiting. You'll hear water cooler talk of how inept that 120th rated Offense was. We aren't selling or marketing well. Dead ... I say. One bad HC hire. Then, I say, a No Confidence vote so far on WM.

The time to judge Manual on football will be based on who our Head Coach is on January 1, 2014. I wish we had changed HCs this year, but I can't beat on an AD who won't jettison a guy after just two years where he went 5-7, 5-7. And I won't beat on a guy who won't tell a head coach how to run his team.

Manual has an incomplete on football until his predecessor's hire has proven he's the wrong guy. I can't beat on Manual for giving it one more season.

Reaction Score

The same complaints were going around then. But not from people with triple digit I.Qs

And no one who doesn't live in bizarro world finds it to be a negative when you win your conference and reap the rewards of doing so in anything.

Reaction Score

My son had drinks with Frey's girlfriend at the Fiesta Bowl and she intimated that Robbie was not too happy about his playing time. So perhaps he would have left anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom