We can’t guard Nova man to man | Page 2 | The Boneyard

We can’t guard Nova man to man

Reaction Score
Honestly, I don't think it was a terrible game plan. Moore and Gillespie combined for like 3 points in the first half. We let Samuels and Slater shoot. Danny expected them to make some of those, and they did. Nova adjusted a little bit with trying to get Gillespie and Moore going by posting up and that worked a little bit, but not really. Came down to us missing close shots at the rim and free throws.

Reaction Score
In the first half we gave up 3’s, in the second half we shut them down from 3 but gave up some layups. But defense overall was still solid. I thought Whaley and Sanogo both unnecessarily doubled Gillespie and left their man open under the hoop. Offense was still the main problem though. And free throws

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
We play some type of zone. We finally did it with under 4 minutes left in the game. It actually worked very well for us. The problem is we waited 36 plus minutes to make the adjustment.
Exactly. Immediate results. Only thing is we didn’t convert the turnovers.

Reaction Score
We play some type of zone. We finally did it with under 4 minutes left in the game. It actually worked very well for us. The problem is we waited 36 plus minutes to make the adjustment.
My post was in response to someone else suggesting putting AJax on Cole so it was about our man to man matchups. The zone worked in a short burst sample size. Playing a defense we seldom play against a team as disciplined as Nova for 40 minutes would have been a bold move and most likely have been surgically destroyed by Wright and Nova players.

Reaction Score
My post was in response to someone else suggesting putting AJax on Cole so it was about our man to man matchups. The zone worked in a short burst sample size. Playing a defense we seldom play against a team as disciplined as Nova for 40 minutes would have been a bold move and most likely have been surgically destroyed by Wright and Nova players.
They constantly hit WIDE open looks and it ripped our throats out. Them wide open 3’s turned into 30 points or more. So what would be the difference you feel me? For some reason we like to think we play them good man to man. We don’t they always get wherever they want to do n the court. Gillespie literally dribbles all the way to under the basket. Our defense broke down over and over again.

Reaction Score
They constantly hit WIDE open looks and it ripped our throats out. Them wide open 3’s turned into 30 points or more. So what would be the difference you feel me? For some reason we like to think we play them good man to man. We don’t they always get wherever they want to do n the court. Gillespie literally dribbles all the way to under the basket. Our defense broke down over and over again.

This is gibberish Brandon. They scored 63 points and won by a bucket.

Reaction Score
We gave up 8 3’s in the first half alone lol. On offense everything they get is easy or wide open. Every point we score is hard. It’s a big difference. Trust me when I tell you we gave up over 10 WIDE open 3’s where our defense broke down. Yes defense was most definitely a problem. That’s literally half of their points.
We held their three best 3 point shooters (43%, 40%, 36%) to 2-13 from 3 and 7/24 from the field.

The rest of the team went 9/17 from 3. Those players shoot 25%, 33%, and 31%.

The game plan was fine.

Reaction Score
How many 1-2 foot point blank shots were missed by UConn? How many free throws were missed? A lot came during crucial/momentum swinging moments as well. Ball game.

Reaction Score
not sure if people on here realize it, but samuels and slater are NOT good shooters. samuels is 25% and slater is 30%. we were doubling off of them to help in the post and they made us pay. it's basically the same strategy that creighton was using against jackson and whaley, but nova's shots just happened to go in.

gillespie posting up cole was always going to be a weakness for us, but it's not like our guys were getting beat off of the dribble every time.

Reaction Score
We held their three best 3 point shooters (43%, 40%, 36%) to 2-13 from 3 and 7/24 from the field.

The rest of the team went 9/17 from 3. Those players shoot 25%, 33%, and 31%.

The game plan was fine.
How is giving up wide open 3’s to kids good enough to play college basketball fine? Like they coach just said. We let Slater and them get their shots, and they burned us.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I think i might have tried Jackson on him to see what he could do. Cole can't guard him
Didn’t matter. Nova can exploit switches . Put AJon Gillespie and then a few other nova players can post Cole . Just a tough matchup for RJ across the board against Jays system.

Reaction Score
Pretty much what Big Ern said. Our man to man D is a team strength and along with rebounding what we hang our hat on. We aren't gonna just abandon it in the Big East tourney semis. If you want to say we should have tried the zone earlier, I will buy that. Just know Wright would have made an adjustment eventually and probably had us running around like fools. It worked because it was a surprise for the last few minutes and was a small sample size. They scored only 62 points any way.

Reaction Score
How is giving up wide open 3’s to kids good enough to play college basketball fine?
they are a top-10 team -- you have to give something up when you guard them. hurley had a choice to give up buckets in the post or three-point attempts from bad shooters, and he chose the latter.

if gillespie had 25 points in the post tonight, people on this board would be livid.

Reaction Score
Pretty much what Big Ern said. Our man to man D is a team strength and along with rebounding what we hang our hat on. We aren't gonna just abandon it in the Big East tourney semis. If you want to say we should have tried the zone earlier, I will buy that. Just know Wright would have made an adjustment eventually and probably had us running around like fools. It worked because it was a surprise for the last few minutes and was a small sample size. They scored only 62 points any way.
See this is the problem. People really think our man to man defense is just so dominant. It is against certain teams. We ain’t played Villanova 1 single time this year and had complete control of the game. Villanova wants to break you down and kick for wide open shots. We actually be giving them exactly what they want. They are not a big team, and we are one of the better rebounding teams in the country. I’m telling y’all playing an extended zone against them would do wonders for us.

Reaction Score
See this is the problem. People really think our man to man defense is just so dominant. It is against certain teams. We ain’t played Villanova 1 single time this year and had complete control of the game. Villanova wants to break you down and kick for wide open shots. We actually be giving them exactly what they want. They are not a big team, and we are one of the better rebounding teams in the country. I’m telling y’all playing an extended zone against them would do wonders for us.
You are assuming playing an extended zone is something we do well, or do at all for the most part. In theory I get what you are saying. In execution, it probably would have been a disaster over a whole game. Nova is experienced, smart, well coached and can shoot you out of a good zone in a jiffy. You think Nova has never seen an extended zone before? If it was some giant achilles heel, everyone would be throwing a zone at them.

Reaction Score
You are assuming playing an extended zone is something we do well, or do at all for the most part. In theory I get what you are saying. In execution, it probably would have been a disaster over a whole game. Nova is experienced, smart, well coached and can shoot you out of a good zone in a jiffy. You think Nova has never seen an extended zone before? If it was some giant achilles heel, everyone would be throwing a zone at them.
We DONT PLAY MAN TO MAN WELL against them!!! Everybody ain’t long and as athletic as us either. Everybody doesn’t rebound good as us either.

Reaction Score
Villanova is straight up better than us this season.

Louisville was straight up better than us in 2014. Not expecting much but…

Reaction Score
We DONT PLAY MAN TO MAN WELL against them!!! Everybody ain’t long and as athletic as us either. Everybody doesn’t rebound good as us either.
I think we are just gonna have to agree to disagree here and go our seperate ways. They are a tough cover and we gave up 63 points. Wasn't the disaster you make it out to be and wasn't the reason we lost. Have a nice evening.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I will say this I don’t know how many times. Sometimes we gotta try something different while playing Nova. They break is down almost every time down the court. They kick, and they get a wide open shot.
It’s our starting lineup that can’t handle them. We played better with Polley in over Whaley or Sanogo

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
In the first half we gave up 3’s, in the second half we shut them down from 3 but gave up some layups. But defense overall was still solid. I thought Whaley and Sanogo both unnecessarily doubled Gillespie and left their man open under the hoop. Offense was still the main problem though. And free throws
Did we shut them down from 3 or did Jay say let’s go inside. Gillespie dominated the second half. Best player on the court

Reaction Score
How is giving up wide open 3’s to kids good enough to play college basketball fine? Like they coach just said. We let Slater and them get their shots, and they burned us.

I get that it’s a loss so everybody who never posts comes out of the woodwork but use your head for a second. You realize they’re playing another team that happens to be pretty good, right? You don’t just say “hey, Villanova, don’t shoot any threes tonight” and they say “well, okay, I guess we won’t, but we’re not going to like it because we’re good at it.”

You try to get the shots to come from their secondary scorers. We did that. If they make those shots you live with it. The idea that you’re complaining about leaving open “kids good enough to play college basketball” is freaking moronic. When you play a team like Villanova you play the percentages. Defense was not the problem. Again, it was a ONE POSSESSION GAME. Christ, people.

Reaction Score
I mean they didn’t go in but didn’t we give up like 2-3 open looks from three in the zone? I feel like Daniels got off two and maybe someone else in the corner? We disrupted them a bit and they still swung it around until they found the open man.

Reaction Score
Gee! There's a brilliant, insightful explanation. I'll bet that, if we scored 10 more hoops, we would have won.
Not sure your issue with this post about UConn simply not scoring tonight and hence the loss- it’s true. Besides Tyrese, no one was lighting it up tonight. Nova is a team that shoots well and doesn’t turn it over. If we have a cold night, it’s tough to win.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom