We are to two highly unlikely life rafts | Page 2 | The Boneyard

We are to two highly unlikely life rafts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Here Ye, Here Ye...
On this day, the 22nd day of April, in the year 2013, Fairfield has decreed all Conference Realignment to be complete.
Please notify our Twitter friends from WV that on behalf of Fairfield, their services are no longer needed.

Pencils down everyone.

He agrees... ;)

theDudeofWV1:49pm via web
Expansion is over and I'm not sad.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Not trying to be obtuse, but they are not in the ACC for FB so the ACC does not have an unbalanced FB league. There are 14 FB members in the ACC. The 5 ND games do not count as conference games either. Unless you are proposing they add Uconn for the 3 or 4 games that ND does not play to help balance the OOC schedule for the ACC.

Yes, but it's one sport with few games. Instead they are now unbalanced in dozens of sports, playing hundreds of games/matches. And while the ND football games do not count as league games, they still must be played, so they provide an easy way to balance scheduling during the conference season.

Reaction Score
nothing has changed from the Big10's standpoint. If their model suggested that expansion made sense, then it still does. What has happened is that their list of target schools just got a lot smaller.

Fact is, nobody has a clue what is going to happen next.

Delaney isn't going to let Swofford get the best of him... Personally, if Delaney wanted to use Uconn as payback, I'd be all for it.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Yes, but it's one sport with few games. Instead they are now unbalanced in dozens of sports, playing hundreds of games/matches. And while the ND football games do not count as league games, they still must be played, so they provide an easy way to balance scheduling during the conference season.
It's the sport though. Everything revolves around a balanced football schedule. Unless the ACC goes to a three division pod system with 5 teams each and the top two ranked division winners play in a championship game 15 teams in football is NOT happening.

Reaction Score
Swofford already has gotten the best of Delaney. He got Syracuse ,Pittsburgh, Louisville, Notre Dame, and the Big gets 2 programs hemorrhaging money in Rutgers, and Maryland.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Here Ye, Here Ye...
On this day, the 22nd day of April, in the year 2013, Fairfield has decreed all Conference Realignment to be complete.
Please notify our Twitter friends from WV that on behalf of Fairfield, their services are no longer needed.

Pencils down everyone.
A good portion of the WV twitteratti's services were predicated on the implosion/destruction of the ACC, so at least for that portion of the program, yes their services are not needed.

Reaction Score
From how things appear, Mizzou is destined to be a basement dweller in the SEC West in football. This is why they may welcome an invite to the B1G. And the CIC affiliation, too. The state of Missouri, as a market, has a future.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The only life raft is shutting down the football program or going independent for a few years before shutting it down, and moving the rest of the sports to the Big East.

Sometimes you need not to post the same thing you always post when it comes to realignment. I know I am tired of the negative nanny bs

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
UConn gets to play the big fish in a small pond. OOC becomes important as does winning.

As far as whether UConn needs the AAC I'm sure that decision can be made later. As can constructing a new media model that fits UConn.

The Big 5 in Philly might be a model that works for UConn and some regionals like Syracuse, UConn, Rutgers, Saint John's who commit to playing each other every year along with Harvard, Stonybrook, Hofstra, and Boston University for a regional trophy.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
How is 14 an odd number?
BC, Cuse, Pitt, Lville, UVA, VT, UNC, NC State, Duke, Wake, GT, Clempson, FSU, Miami,
Perhaps he meant they have a number of odd football teams. That works.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Delaney isn't going to let Swofford get the best of him... Personally, if Delaney wanted to use Uconn as payback, I'd be all for it.

Delaney postioned them correctly. Even if the Big 12 and SEC act before the BiG and picked off 8 teams the BiG is postioned well. Picking off Rutgers and Maryland ensured that.

What's the worse case? Adding UConn and BC? That's about the worse scenario they end up with.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Swofford already has gotten the best of Delaney. He got Syracuse ,Pittsburgh, Louisville, Notre Dame, and the Big gets 2 programs hemorrhaging money in Rutgers, and Maryland.

Clueless.

Swofford lost the mid-Atlantic states to the Big Ten and failed to land Notre Dame football.

Reaction Score
From how things appear, Mizzou is destined to be a basement dweller in the SEC West in football. This is why they may welcome an invite to the B1G. And the CIC affiliation, too. The state of Missouri, as a market, has a future.

So Mizzou sucks so bad, they will fall through the SEC East cellar floor onward to the SEC West cellar floor?

Reaction Score
Chill out people. Realignment is not over. Things are going to get moving again in or around 2027.

Reaction Score

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
We're doomed.
Any new expansion requires a larger media bump than before. $20M+
Best chance is the best of other 5 playoff berth and that AAC FB is better than the old BE, which it might.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There is another solution. Go buy a case of lube, and go to the B1G and offer to be their jailhouse b**** for the next 10 years. Offer to be a probationary member for the next 10 years. Take a half or even quarter share of the conference revenues for the next 10 years, and give them a one way option to toss us out any time they want. If they get to the end of the agreement, they can chuck us overboard, no harm, no foul. At the very least, we will find out if they are remotely interested. If they turn down that offer, we have our answer.

We need a schedule, and even a quarter revenue share will be 2-3x what we will make in the AAC. UConn will die in a southern mid-major conference. There is virtually zero chance of the football program being anything but a catastrophic failure, and the basketball team will only be competitive as long as Ollie is there.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Clueless.

Swofford lost the mid-Atlantic states to the Big Ten and failed to land Notre Dame football.
Let's also mention he landed not ONE school that draws in the biggest fish out there, the NYC market. UConn, alone, will not do that but if he had grabbed Rutgers and UConn at the same time, they'd have the NYC market as best they can. ND gives them a slight foot in the door but Syracuse totally doesn't deliver. New York's team my arse! Now if he knew what was good for him, he'd grab UConn and prevent the B1G from taking the market. Still don't believe we are B1G bound but I can see how in a few years, if the BTN doesn't stick in NYC, they make a grab for UConn.

Reaction Score
If Uconn were going to move, I think the odds just shifted to more likely going to the Big 10 where before it was likely a decimated ACC, and that is good. I can't imagine the ACC will add a team with Notre Dame still out there. They have over a decade and another shift in the college football playoffs to go, so they can wait out ND for now and see if something prods the Irish into action. Odds are against it, but they have time to gamble now.

Losing Maryland hurts, but they got an upgrade athletically in Louisville. Big 10 and ACC managed to gain in the past year. UConn should be in the ACC, but I don't think a GOR happens with UConn, which is unfortunate.

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score
All is not lost... I think it would be ludicrous to go to the Big 12 but at least there are some down in Texas that are thinking about it!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-04-22 at 8.09.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-04-22 at 8.09.05 PM.png
    25.1 KB · Views: 70

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The GOR is only a big deal if you've ignored the fact the ACC schools didn't want to leave the league.

As for Nelson and shutting down the program, sleep well as he has been wrong about everything from day 1.

Actually, my track record on this has been pretty good. The ACC is sticking together, but not because they "want to". It's because ESPN stepped up big, just like I said they would.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Actually, my track record on this has been pretty good. The ACC is sticking together, but not because they "want to". It's because ESPN stepped up big, just like I said they would.

LOL. Yeah just like NBC was stepping up. And did you say ESPN was stepping up before or after you had Clemson and Florida State in the Big 12?

Of course they are staying together because they want to - the other leagues all still make more money.

There must be 5,000 posts on this board about how the ACC was dead. New homes for everyone. Can't wait for the next crackpot idea that takes over the Boneyard. Maybe it's POTENTIAL!

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Well, I got banned from over in looney land on the WVU boards.

Those guys are so full of it's ridiculous.

Let's can P after this season, get a new guy and start kicking ass with a Sr Whitmer or a RS Lagow or Boyle.

Nobody said its going to be easy, but what the hell can we do?

Yes, competing for recruits with our local rivals got a lot tougher, but keep in mind, on the field were not competing with them for now.

We have to beat Cinci, USF, Temple et all.

All we can do is play the cards we were dealt by ACC and BSPIN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom