We are Flawed | Page 5 | The Boneyard

We are Flawed

Reaction Score
These are true statements but irrelevant to the discussion about guarding Hopkins
No one was stopping him tonight. And we didn’t have an answer offensively.

Reaction Score
Can someone explain to me why Jackson wasn’t on Hopkins from the start?
Because we have a coach who has no idea how to game plan.

If you’re about to tell me he wasn’t aware how good Hopkins was, then he is not a good coach.

It’s simple.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Last few games Adama has looked eerily similar to that long stretch at the end of last season when he was missing bunnies, not jumping for rebounds, not providing help defense. Really concerning. Right now, he is not our best center.
No excuses this year. We have a legitimate stud center to give him rest or to play along side him to give him some help. This is on Hurley for not adjust to how teams are playing him

Reaction Score
We need a killer guard who can take you off the dribble, drive, and create his own shot...ala Kemba, Bazz, Boat etc...

Our last 2 championship teams were lucky enough to have 2 of those each.

Teams now know to just chase our shooters around, get up in their face and to not let them have an easy shot (no need to worry about them driving past you).

I don't see how this can be fixed this year

Reaction Score
A major problem is our inability to play defense without FOULING!!
Sure, a few were ticky tacky but most were legitimate against our being out of control, reaching in, slapping at ball and any other
plays that allow refs to call foul.
Maybe Hurley should make a new rule:
“ Any foul in first minute of game, perp sits for 5 minutes”.
This team cannot win many games by allowing opponents 25-30 free throws per game.
Ciao

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
It's not but some people just can't wait to fire off these takes after a loss
True, but I think it’s more how we lose rather than the loss. Anyone thinking we’d go undefeated is delusional

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
Sanogo. Or you don’t sit Jackson. You make those adjustments and see how it plays out or you keep getting dominated. Three games in a row
You don’t continue to play Ajax there because he is in foul trouble. And he abused Sanogo. You’ll see it when you actually watch the game.

Reaction Score
Because we have a coach who has no idea how to game plan.
Or how to motivate his team for the big games. I hate Cooley and the ball his team plays but he gets them up for the big games. He was definitely touting UCONN as this great team to motivate his club and it showed on the court. Have to question what Hurley is doing with the team besides complaining. He definitely seems perplexed with how to generate offense on the court.

Reaction Score
Joey C hasn't done much lately except for a few assists.

I guess the competition is better, and does a better job defending him, and he can't get the open looks he had against lesser competition. His shots look rushed.

Maybe better screening would help him.
Joey C is in a little shooting slump it happens. Unfortunately a lot of the players are in a shooting slump at the same time.

Reaction Score
McDermott, Wright and Cooley have consistently outcoached him. The only time we have beaten Nova was with Kimani coaching, lol.

Miller just outcoached him too. So yes, a trend.
So every loss he gets outcoached? And what did kimani do schematically different?

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
McDermott, Wright and Cooley have consistently outcoached him. The only time we have beaten Nova was with Kimani coaching, lol.

This hurts because it’s true.

Reaction Score
We need a killer guard who can take you off the dribble, drive, and create his own shot...ala Kemba, Bazz, Boat etc...

Teams now know to just chase our shooters around, get up in their face and to not let them have an easy shot (no need to worry about them driving past you).

We have that guard but he won't be on the roster until next year - his name is Stephon Castle

Reaction Score

I know you gotta fire off the takes right now so logic is out the door, but we literally beat Villanova a week ago with Hurley coaching

Reaction Score
Our biggest flaw is the lack of a player that can create his own shot.

I think we have a ton of really good pieces that work really well when they’re working well.

But the difference between this team and 2011/13 is we don’t have a solid guard that can create a shot and get to the rim. We don’t have anyone that can take over a game.

Reaction Score

Once RJ Cole decided to past this year that option went out the door it seems.

Reaction Score
Joey C is in a little shooting slump it happens. Unfortunately a lot of the players are in a shooting slump at the same time.

I mean you couldn't reasonably expect the kid to continue to shoot 60% from deep. He'll find his shot soon.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom