We are Flawed | Page 4 | The Boneyard

We are Flawed

pj

Reaction Score
We need 1) Samson to come back to guard the guys Karaban can’t. And 2) Newton/Joey C to be worth something

Agreed on (1) - Samson will stabilize the defense. But, on (2) it's more than Newton and Joey C. Sanogo/Clingan/Karaban were 13-19 from the floor, Hawkins was 5-14, rest of team was 5-30. We have to get more offensive production from all the perimeter guys. Newton above all.

Reaction Score
Biggest flaw is thinking they can run offense through Sanogo.

BE coaches know how to collapse on him.

Also, if you heard the in game mic of Cooley during TO teams know to shut down Hawk on perimeter and make others beat you.
Sanogo got toasted by Croswell at both ends. No wonder people shook their heads at BE POY.

Reaction Score
We were down 3 at the half and the second half was atrocious play.
These are true statements but irrelevant to the discussion about guarding Hopkins

Reaction Score
The issue is that is Jackson was parked on the bench for 16 minutes of the 1st half with 2 fouls while Hopkins was going off
The foul trouble changed the entire defensive game plan. Even when Jackson was back in, couldn’t risk the fouls against Hopkins and we clearly had no good answer there. Samson can’t get back soon enough.

Reaction Score
We have no guards that can score off the dribble and Newton has totally lost his shot. Our opponents really only have to front Sanogo and faceguard Hawkins and they shut us down with ease.
Yeah, pretty much unless Karaban can hit 3's consistently which he can't right now.

Reaction Score
He is a Fresman but I agree in this game we should had Jackson guarding Hopkins and Alleyne starting guarding Carter.
That’s not an excuse coaching wise. You don’t just let a guy get dominated because he’s a Freshman. You switch him off or sit him down. He’s not up to snuff on defense in general, but then having to guard the other teams best player? That’s a huge issue.

Reaction Score
Hurley just severely outcoached. Sanogo is not close to being the best player in the Big East. Their home crowd is way better than anything Gampel or XL has shown. And they just are not tough.
I don’t know about being out coached. The players just are always out toughed ALWAYS!. And no one drives to the basket to get fouled. And our entry passes are always a gamble or they do t happen when they should.

Reaction Score
That’s not an excuse coaching wise. You don’t just let a guy get dominated because he’s a Freshman. You switch him off or sit him down. He’s not up to snuff on defense in general, but then having to guard the other teams best player? That’s a huge issue.
Karaban just needs to learn to fall down. I counted 4 times where he could’ve just dropped and got a charge call on Hopkins

Reaction Score
I'm totally agreeing with you on this one. I think after he saw how bad of a matchup it was for us we should of went zone or subbed him. Actually Sanogo played Hopkins better on D.

Reaction Score
This game will help in the long run:

• Exposed our weakness guarding 4s. Hurley can’t just keep Karaban in there for that long. It’s unacceptable. He will learn from this.
  • Exposed that we need scorers on the court. Diarra and Alleyne just can’t be out there together. Ever. The offense just stops in it’s tracks.

I think there is a lot to build on over the last 2 games. 2 early big East losses are not a big deal. A loss against Creighton, however, would be catastrophic.

Reaction Score
Yes But every comment he’s made is that Karaban shouldn’t haven been guarding him..he was the only possible primary defender we could throw at him without Samson

Jackson.

Reaction Score
Was a bit surprising how many loose balls ended up in the Friars hands. How many second and third rebounds did they get? Got beat today by a team that wanted it more and played harder
Exactly this. Need to worry more about lack of effort and heart and less about foul disparity. Uneven refereeing on the road in college basketball is almost a given unfortunately. Deal with it.

Reaction Score
I don’t know about being out coached. The players just are always out toughed ALWAYS!. And no one drives to the basket to get fouled. And our entry passes are always a gamble or they do t happen when they should.
Hurley gets his lunch eaten in the Big East. It’s a trend.

Reaction Score
Exposed our weakness guarding 4s. Hurley can’t just keep Karaban in there for that long. It’s unacceptable. He will learn from this.
Exposed that we need scorers on the court. Diarra and Alleyne just can’t be out there together. Ever. The offense just stops in it’s tracks

These things have been obvious for weeks.

Reaction Score
Didn't Jackson get in early foul trouble guarding Hopkins in the first half?

Reaction Score
He is a Fresman but I agree in this game we should had Jackson guarding Hopkins and Alleyne starting guarding Carter.
Can someone explain to me why Jackson wasn’t on Hopkins from the start?

Reaction Score
He had Karaban guarding their best player and got destroyed all game. Everyone in the arena knew it. How didn’t Hurley?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Who was supposed to guard him with Ajax on the bench?
Sanogo. Or you don’t sit Jackson. You make those adjustments and see how it plays out or you keep getting dominated. Three games in a row

Reaction Score
Creighton is back to playing like the team everyone thought they would be. They have a better starting 5 and a better coach who we haven’t beaten.

Sanogo struggles with their big and all they have to do is stick to Hawkins like glue and we don’t have any other scorers. Plain and simple. Maybe at one point everyone thought we had so many options but we really don’t. Joey C has come back down to earth, Alleyne is a foul machine who takes like 2 bad shots a game at the wrong times. Newton hasn’t been good against good teams. Karaban is a spot shooter who’s misses a lot of wide open threes. Jackson is no threat on offense.

Reaction Score
on the bright side, at this rate it looks like Hawkins, Sanogo and Jackson will be back next year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom