We’re wearing the wrong shoes. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

We’re wearing the wrong shoes.

Reaction Score
I really should let this go but CLEARLY Fresno was expecting heat and turf related issues. I can't access the Fresno Bee article but I'd love to see the condition of UConn players shoes after they unwrapped.

View attachment 69528

From the Bee:

-> Fresno State held several high school camps over the summer with at least some work done on the artificial surface inside Bulldog Stadium. The turf installed in 2019 includes an infill that substantially reduces temperatures on the field. But at one event, with the air temperature around 105 or 106 degrees, several campers had problems with their footwear. The cleats or soles of their shoes would tear away from the rest of the shoe. It happened several times, Bulldogs coach Kalen DeBoer said.

An already well-worn shoe would likely play into that, and Fresno State hasn’t had any problems in fall camp, though most of its practices have been on the grass field adjacent to Bulldog Stadium. But even with an 11 a.m. kickoff it is not going to take any chances, either. The Fresno State equipment staff, DeBoer said, will have several extra pairs of shoes on the sidelines, just in case. <-

Reaction Score
I am tempted to give my youth sports speech. Most sports are done primarily with the feet. Pitching a baseball, catching a fly ball, turning a double play, checking a player in hockey, hitting a tennis ball, yadda yadda yadda. Move your feet!! Applies to tackling too. Head and feet mostly, with the arms relatively little to do. Head for anticipation, feet to drive the body to the right place. Can't wrap up a tackle if you are reaching from distance all the time.

I haven't reviewed any of the game, and I am not likely to given my schedule. But I would not discount the OP unless I had taken the time to review the footage that he has.

Reaction Score
I would not discount the OP unless I had taken the time to review the footage that he has.
Whether or not anyone wants to watch the replay, others around the country noticed.
"On Fresno's first offensive touchdown, UConn's DB slipped, spun and stumbled like a drunken dervish."
"I just watched game on YouTube. DL being pushed back because of slipping."
"OL has no footing. UConn coaches unprepared for this."
"Huskies are slipping out there."

Ever wonder why after a competitive 1st Q, we fell into the abyss? While the Fresno players in their appropriate footwear could still cut sharply, playing on that molten field finally turned our football cleats into hockey skates. And the game got away from us. More precisely, it slipped away from us. I'm not saying we lost just because of our lack of footing, but it was a huge factor in turning the game into a 45-0 embarrassment. We barely had over 100 yards of offense. You really think that's what we're destined to be? When you don't have solid footing it impacts how--and how fast--you react. Whether a running back or a DB, you become tentative on cuts when traction is tough. And try throwing a long pass with your back foot sliding, even ever so slightly. Think it might affect accuracy, even a little bit?

But enough of my beating a dead horse, because now we're back on solid ground. Our playmakers on both sides of the ball can and will perform with greater confidence. We all know this is a crossroads game if we've ever seen one. The players and coaches all know we need to win decisively on Saturday, not only to set the tone for the season--but to shut up all the naysayers who were laughing at 45-0 and wondering aloud if and why we're still playing the sport. So we're not losing to Holy Cross. Not even close. And if you ever longed for the perfect opportunity to clean up, UConn at -2.5 is staring you in the face.

Reaction Score
Here's my final point on the subject. I promise.

It's one of many visuals that illustrate my premise. Some of you have been skeptical of the magnitude of the impact our horrible footing had on the ability of our players to perform. Watch as our DB, #7 Tre Wortham, tries to set his foot to break back on the ball. Watch it a few times. It helps explain 45-0 and 107 total yards. That's not happening on our field this Saturday. Go Huskies. Crush Holy Cross!

"On Fresno's first offensive touchdown, UConn's DB slipped, spun and stumbled like a drunken dervish."
file:///Users/lawrencecohen/Desktop/UConn%20v%20Fresno%20-%20SD%20480p.mov

Reaction Score
Here's my final point on the subject. I promise.

It's one of many visuals that illustrate my premise. Some of you have been skeptical of the magnitude of the impact our horrible footing had on the ability of our players to perform. Watch as our DB, #7 Tre Wortham, tries to set his foot to break back on the ball. Watch it a few times. It helps explain 45-0 and 107 total yards. That's not happening on our field this Saturday. Go Huskies. Crush Holy Cross!

file:///Users/lawrencecohen/Desktop/UConn%20v%20Fresno%20-%20SD%20480p.mov

Is this the video you’re trying to post?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think would’ve gotten slaughtered regardless, but there’s no doubt we were slipping. It was clear in the pre-snap motion alone.
I've wondered if it contributed to the overthrows.

Reaction Score
Whether or not anyone wants to watch the replay, others around the country noticed.
"I just watched game on YouTube. DL being pushed back because of slipping."
"OL has no footing. UConn coaches unprepared for this."
"Huskies are slipping out there."

Ever wonder why after a competitive 1st Q, we fell into the abyss? While the Fresno players in their appropriate footwear could still cut sharply, playing on that molten field finally turned our football cleats into hockey skates. And the game got away from us. More precisely, it slipped away from us. I'm not saying we lost just because of our lack of footing, but it was a huge factor in turning the game into a 45-0 embarrassment. We barely had over 100 yards of offense. You really think that's what we're destined to be? When you don't have solid footing it impacts how--and how fast--you react. Whether a running back or a DB, you become tentative on cuts when traction is tough. And try throwing a long pass with your back foot sliding, even ever so slightly. Think it might affect accuracy, even a little bit?

But enough of my beating a dead horse, because now we're back on solid ground. Our playmakers on both sides of the ball can and will perform with greater confidence. We all know this is a crossroads game if we've ever seen one. The players and coaches all know we need to win decisively on Saturday, not only to set the tone for the season--but to shut up all the naysayers who were laughing at 45-0 and wondering aloud if and why we're still playing the sport. So we're not losing to Holy Cross. Not even close. And if you ever longed for the perfect opportunity to clean up, UConn at -2.5 is staring you in the face.
Everything isn't a conspiracy theory. I didn't watch the whole game but noticed it immediately. Sometimes you just have to believe your eyes.

Reaction Score
No doubt that the slippery conditions was a big issue for Uconn. Not sure why we didn't see more slipping by Fresno State.

Reaction Score
I just watch the game highlights on YouTube. The UConn players were slipping and it didn't seem like FSU's players were.

Watch for yourself and watch the feet. I have highlighted some obvious times:

0:25 Zergiotis
1:12 Zergiotis
3:00 Wortham
8:45 Mensah
10:40 Krajewski

Reaction Score
The UConn players were slipping and it didn't seem like FSU's players were.
Exactly. They had different shoes which compensated for what they knew would be a slippery field in that heat. We weren't similarly prepared. It's good to see more of the Yard understanding how prevalent the slipping was and why 45-0 is not indicative of what our season will look like. And yes, imagine trying to throw a pass while standing on an icy sidewalk. That slippery field could easily have caused some misfires--especially on longer passes downfield. I truly think on Saturday we'll get the first legit look at what this team has accomplished in these past two years. Bigger-stronger-faster doesn't show as well on a slippery field in 120 degree heat!

Reaction Score
Exactly. They had different shoes which compensated for what they knew would be a slippery field in that heat. We weren't similarly prepared. It's good to see more of the Yard understanding how prevalent the slipping was and why 45-0 is not indicative of what our season will look like. And yes, imagine trying to throw a pass while standing on an icy sidewalk. That slippery field could easily have caused some misfires--especially on longer passes downfield. I truly think on Saturday we'll get the first legit look at what this team has accomplished in these past two years. Bigger-stronger-faster doesn't show as well on a slippery field in 120 degree heat!
How much does Nike pay UConn to wear their footware? No one thought to call them to ask about what shoes to wear in the heat?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
How much does Nike pay UConn to wear their footware? No one thought to call them to ask about what shoes to wear in the heat?

No kidding.

Plus, it's not as if the field turf is top secret info. The playing surface is public knowledge. Not saying this cost UConn the game at all but it was a major fail on whomever is supposed to know this stuff and inform the equipment managers which cleatS to bring. Then the players could go on the field before the game and tryout one or two pairs to see which works best.

Most games have a thing called halftime where they would have time to change out shoes.

Independent of the game last week if it's the norm to only pack one type of cleat for an away game, that's a major screw up that needs rectumfrying.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
There field sucks.

They would be better with a grass field but with the water reductions in the Southwestern US this is how they have to build football fields now

Reaction Score
If the shoe debacle was real, it would have been impossible for the linemen. My guess is that after we win a couple games (if we do), we’ll hear the real story. No way Randy is rolling out that excuse for Fresno before we beat somebody.

Reaction Score
No kidding.

Plus, it's not as if the field turf is top secret info. The playing surface is public knowledge. Not saying this cost UConn the game at all but it was a major fail on whomever is supposed to know this stuff and inform the equipment managers which cleatS to bring. Then the players could go on the field before the game and tryout one or two pairs to see which works best.

Most games have a thing called halftime where they would have time to change out shoes.

Independent of the game last week if it's the norm to only pack one type of cleat for an away game, that's a major screw up that needs rectumfrying.
You would figure a major athletic department playing at the highest level of college football, someone would know information about what to wear on a field in that temp. How was the entire staff completely caught off guard by this?

Reaction Score
Or at least A contribution.
I watched the game again last night (I'm a glutton for punishment). Nos's has a point. Like others, I don't think it was the cause of the shellacking, but it was a contributing factor. Saturday will be extremely telling. I now have a sliver of hope again, but I am more mentally prepared to have it collapse again if we stink up the joint.

Reaction Score
Love those vid clips. Thanks for posting.

A couple comments. If UConn is hell bent on playing old school football, why not go all the way? Having both the rt. guard and the TE (playing in more of a slot position) travel that far east behind the line of scrimmage doesn't make sense to me. They both have to make hard cuts to make their blocks even assuming they get to the point of attack -- which Madlock did not because of timing and traffic congestion. Replace Madlock with a fullback with an Anthony Sherman skillset in the backfield and you solve both the traffic congestion problem and need to make a cut at the point of attack. Also, I don't think a right-left counter disguise in this situation fools anyone who has done their homework on UConn. All it does is slow down the development of the play which makes the RB vulnerable to any penetration. Stop and start the vid and you see how much time it took Carter to get the ball. Things have just gotta happen faster than that.

Yeah I know, I know. Not modern at all.

Reaction Score
You would figure a major athletic department playing at the highest level of college football, someone would know information about what to wear on a field in that temp. How was the entire staff completely caught off guard by this?
They had 637 days to plan for that contingency.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom