Was Aresco hired to negotiate the surrender of the Big East? | The Boneyard

Was Aresco hired to negotiate the surrender of the Big East?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I couldn't believe the NY Times story I saw today, that this guy is going to sell the Big East name to the departing Catholic schools.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/28/s...lling-its-name-to-departing-members.html?_r=0

I know they have more history with the name than the remaining schools other than UConn, but they are the ones leaving. It would be like Roger Waters getting to keep the Pink Floyd name after he quit the band. The conference name is the primary asset left - it's the key to any hope of playing a tournament in MSG. Unbelievable. Who is this guy working for?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The name of the conference determines where you play your tourney?

I'd change it to the:
Big We Play Our Tourney at MSG Conference. Seems like a slam dunk from there.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

If that's true...then why give up the name?

Also hilarious is the idea of the C7 filling MSG. They'd struggle just as much as the remaining/incoming teams. I have never seen a DePaul or Providence fan in the many years I have gone. I can count the Nova fans on one hand.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
After all UConn has done on the field and court it is just amazing that we are being hung out to dry like this with no allies. What happened?

Reaction Score
Again, before you cry about the conf name - what is the bid/ask? It's as silly as every other CR post here to say it is good or bad if you have no idea what the price is.

The conference is dead to UConn - everyone knows it. The question is when we get called and by whom. The rest is filler. The ONLY reason to stick around is to collect the truck load of exit fees coming due. Throw in a few million for selling a ding brand name and we might even be able to build an ice hockey rink.

Reaction Score
It's likely that the name is worth more to the C-7 than to the NNNBE. They have four original members, we have one, and the conference name would be returning to its hoops-only roots, which is where it's highest value is.

Makes sense for it to move if the price is right.

Reaction Score
My understanding is that we are also giving up on MSG but not on NYC. The conference will redirect its focus to Broadway and will likely be known as "Les Miserables" or "Les Miserables 12," once we get to 12 teams.

Serious PR push in the spring will include Susan Boyle:

Reaction Score

Do you even realize that the basketball schools have more schools from beyond the east coast states than the football schools?

Cincy is a wash
Nebraska is more far flung than Dallas
Milwaukee is like New Orleans
Chicago is like Houston
St. Louis is like Memphis
Indiana makes 6 Catholics outside the East

Meanwhile, the football schools have 5 schools in Florida, North Carolina, Connecticut, Pennsylvania and one from Maryland that's shortly to join.

Reaction Score
The MSG is either talking to the B1G and ACC right now or else it will take a huge pay cut to host one of these two new conferences. Because neither of the new ones can afford the cost of MSG right now.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Just so I have this straight: the Big East only still has any value because of the contributions of the non-C7 members (e.g. UConn, Cuse, Pitt, L'Ville, to some extent ND and occasionally a contribution from G'Town). To acquire the value they haven't contributed they are going to use NCAA credit money that lord knows they didn't earn to buy it away from those that did earn the money.

Or in layman's terms, imagine you own a nice couple of acres of property. At some point the people who used to take care of the property decide that they are going to stop working, but will instead squat on it and invite a few of their even lazier friends (looking at you DePaul). They spend the next few years destroying most of the property while you try to maintain it to no avail, but amidst this debauchery the slackers are sure to leave one acre nicey-nice. When you are no longer able to keep fixing the property at the pace they are destroying it they hack your back account and hide your money off shore. Now broke, with ruined assets, these bums approach you and offer to buy the little nice property left with the money they stole from you. So you sell it, have no property left except that which they destroyed all the while the teet-suckers are throwing pool-parties every weekend. This is essentially what our god-fearing brethren have done.

And I can't wait for Aresco to explain to use the distribution of slim-jim's he is going to get for it...

Reaction Score

You better hope it doesn't become too good or PC will just be a bottom feeder in a new conference

Reaction Score

I don't really care but you're dreaming if you think they can put any fannies in the seats of MSG. I've been to empty MSG BET games for well over a decade now, and if you couldn't get PC, DePaul, Nova, Seton Hall, Marquette fans to the arena for those Thursday games, what makes you think you can do it when you're playing St. Louis instead of syracuse or UConn? You can't. St. John's has a smattering, I do see a good number of Hoya fans, but mainly it was Cuse, UConn and for some bizarre reason Pitt.

I actually don't give a fig about sentimentality and the Catholics. You left the conference, that was your decision. Deserve has nothing to do with it., In fact, you should have left years ago. Have no idea why UConn convinced you to stay (according to Tranghese). UConn carried this conference for 2 decades, and without UConn, the BE wouldn't have been the BE. UConn is more BE than all the Catholics put together and multiplied times 3!

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

It's pretty simple and can be explained in one sentence: The C7 amplified the league instability, contributed next to nothing athletically, took next to everything financially, and bailed when they would have been exposed.

Reaction Score

Who said I was pissed. all i said was that you made a decision to leave, so all these people talking about what the Catholics deserve, etc., deserve one of those Catholic under the chin hand flicks.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think that there may be a compromise.

1. The C-7 conference could be named -
Georgtown, Villanova and Teams That Didn't Do
Squat in....The Big East plus some others, maybe.

2. The league could hold it's annual tournament at the MSG at the Delta 360 Club. It's very nice and has a 300 person capacity. A little big given the turnout history of the C7, but hey you never know they might get it to 70% of capacity.

Reaction Score
I couldn't believe the NY Times story I saw today, that this guy is going to sell the Big East name to the departing Catholic schools.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/28/s...lling-its-name-to-departing-members.html?_r=0

I know they have more history with the name than the remaining schools other than UConn, but they are the ones leaving. It would be like Roger Waters getting to keep the Pink Floyd name after he quit the band. The conference name is the primary asset left - it's the key to any hope of playing a tournament in MSG. Unbelievable. Who is this guy working for?

I swear I just posted something like this about Aresco the other day. It's almost like the are reading the BY.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
It would be like Roger Waters getting to keep the Pink Floyd name after he quit the band.

Or after Syd Barrett......was quitted?

By the way, which one's Pink?
And if the band your in starts playing different tunes......
There's no dark side of the moon really.....it's all dark.

Reaction Score
Aresco surrendering the Big East name is unforgivable. The fact the school presidents are allowing it is even worse. I have trouble believing Herbst knows what she is doing if she will quietly hand over the Big East name. It is the one asset we have.

Reaction Score
Aresco surrendering the Big East name is unforgivable. The fact the school presidents are allowing it is even worse. I have trouble believing Herbst knows what she is doing if she will quietly hand over the Big East name. It is the one asset we have.

How much of an asset is it going to be in our hands? Every broadcast will spend half its time saying "this isn't really the Big East anymore."

We are starting anew as a conference. You know it, I know it and everyone else in the world knows it. The name has some value. If the C-7 want to pay it's value, so be it. If they don't, we'll use it. But it's not on the top 50 of things I'm worried about in this whole damn mess.

Reaction Score

BE is dead. We are moving on. Time for a new name.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The name "Big East" is a punch line at this point.

If the junior varsity wants to buy it and spend the rest of their existence seeing Big Least in print, let 'em.

As for MSG - they're a free agent. The Big Ten and ACC will knock the C7 into Brooklyn or Philly or DC whenever they decide to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom