Warde Manuel's biggest problem is | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Warde Manuel's biggest problem is

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
At the moment I believe that substance is far more important than style. I think we need to wait a little longer before judging his abilities.
Nah we can judge his abilities on an ongoing basis, we should just hold off concluding that he is over his head, for just a bit a longer.

I think that Warde might have been fine with a functioning successful AD and grown into the position. I think that he might not have been experienced, and dynamic enough for the CR environment that we find ourselves in.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
So Warde is making more than the AD's at the following BCS schools?! That is simply incredible, I mean WOW!

Arizona State
Baylor
Mississippi
Rutgers
Kansas State
West Virginia
Utah
Michigan State
OK State
FL State
UNC
Nebraska
Colorado

Reaction Score
Some of you guys are definitely on salary rather than entrepreneurial. Doing nothing doesn't create opportunity. You have to make things happen. WVU and UL created their opportunities. Again, wasting valuable media exposure on saying "we're monitoring the situation" is stupid and wasteful. It's free for God sake, tell me something good.

When you are paid 500k just for showing up, you better sound good when you speak. People that can't produce sound bits for the media in this situation aren't worth that kind of money. When Oliver Luck and Jurich spoke, it never sounded like this.

Everything you are saying is right, except that you are ignoring the temporal element. This hasn't all just happened -- it is still happening. I know you want something to happen now, but you can't judge people without some level of patience.

Reaction Score
So Warde is making more than the AD's at the following BCS schools?! That is simply incredible, I mean WOW!

Arizona State
Baylor
Mississippi
Rutgers
Kansas State
West Virginia
Utah
Michigan State
OK State
FL State
UNC
Nebraska
Colorado

Yeah and making less than the ADs @ these schools...

Vanderbilt
Florida
Louisville
Texas
Ohio State
Wisconsin
Oklahoma
Notre Dame
Duke
Tennessee
LSU
Navy
Michigan
Wake Forest
Texas A&M
UCLA
Kentucky
Missouri
Georgia Tech
Clemson
Boston College
Arizona
Auburn
Pittsburgh
Texas Tech
Syracuse
Illinois
Alabama
Arkansas
Virginia Tech
Washington
Oregon State
Purdue
Oregon
South Carolina
Indiana
Maryland
South Florida
Georgia
Washington State
Iowa
Minnesota

Jurich was paid $1.4m - Pernetti was paid $410k

Reaction Score
The product other conferences is buying is football.......what Uconn offers as a FB product, right now no one else wants.

the product they are buying is FUTURE football, not taday's football. what can be sold is football trajectory. what can be sold is commitment.

Reaction Score
Businesslawyer has it right. In spite of the quietness, it's too early to judge Manuel. What's becoming clearer is that a divide is shaping up- either manuel is way over his head OR his lack of aggression or whatever you want to call it, is strategic.

I won't clutter the thread with my personal view, but here is a quote from ollie:

*Ollie on Catholic Seven breaking away: “I don’t a feeling towards it – I hate to see them go, but they made a pact for themselves that we’re going forward and we’re trying to do what’s best for our university. You can’t blame them. We will miss them, but we have to figure out what we’re going to do. And I think we’re going to do that soon. I know we’re working very, very hard and our president and AD will get us in the best situation."

As much as we are concerned, imagine being Ollie or Pasqualoni. Warde isn't just hearing it from the fans.

Reaction Score
Everything you are saying is right, except that you are ignoring the temporal element. This hasn't all just happened -- it is still happening. I know you want something to happen now, but you can't judge people without some level of patience.

I understand what you are saying but you are missing my point. What's happening right now is a failure on the PR front. Again, I hope there are back room deals happening that get us a new home, but that still won't excuse the wasted media opportunities. Warde is blowing it in terms of representing UConn in the media. He needs to be doing better in front of the microphone so that UConn looks organized and progressive rather than looking like a clueless victim.

Reaction Score
What qualities of a leader does WM have? I can tell you which quality he does not: Vision, Communication Skills, Ability to Inspire.

Reaction Score
I understand what you are saying but you are missing my point. What's happening right now is a failure on the PR front. Again, I hope there are back room deals happening that get us a new home, but that still won't excuse the wasted media opportunities. Warde is blowing it in terms of representing UConn in the media. He needs to be doing better in front of the microphone so that UConn looks organized and progressive rather than looking like a clueless victim.

You are right that, long term, we are engaged in an internet PR campaign to improve our image. I haven't seen anyone here who disagrees with that. But what you want instaneaneously, which is our AD saying things that, if true, won't be very comforting and, if very comforting, won't be true, is just not of much utility.

Right now, he can't stop the storm that is blowing. He came here too late to do so even if it turns out he is really good. When the storm stops, let's see how he does with the clean up

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Meatballs at Cassarino's weren't much healthier for Marinatti

Reaction Score
You are right that, long term, we are engaged in an internet PR campaign to improve our image. I haven't seen anyone here who disagrees with that. But what you want instaneaneously, which is our AD saying things that, if true, won't be very comforting and, if very comforting, won't be true, is just not of much utility.

Right now, he can't stop the storm that is blowing. He came here too late to do so even if it turns out he is really good. When the storm stops, let's see how he does with the clean up

There are a dozen things Warde can say in every interview to sell UConn. Academic rankings, sports success, football practice facility, basketball facility being built, size of media market, SNY ratings, huge faculty hiring, beautiful campus, proximity to NY and Boston, captive market, basketball championships, Hockey East, Jackson Labs etc.

Further, he can add bluster, "we will win in football, if that means coaching changes, there will be changes, we must win football games" or "we have a great basketball coach in Kevin Ollie who is already proving that he will be a huge success" or "we will schedule football and basketball games with a play anyone, anywhere, any time approach to ensure excitement for fans and players no matter what conference we are in". Blah, blah, blah. It's easy, no lying.

Reaction Score
There are a dozen things Warde can say in every interview to sell UConn. Academic rankings, sports success, football practice facility, basketball facility being built, size of media market, SNY ratings, huge faculty hiring, beautiful campus, proximity to NY and Boston, captive market, basketball championships, Hockey East, Jackson Labs etc.

Further, he can add bluster, "we will win in football, if that means coaching changes, there will be changes, we must win football games" or "we have a great basketball coach in Kevin Ollie who is already proving that he will be a huge success" or "we will schedule football and basketball games with a play anyone, anywhere, any time approach to ensure excitement for fans and players no matter what conference we are in". Blah, blah, blah. It's easy, no lying.

He could definitely have done a better job communicating with the media and the fan base. Jurich pretty much had every single college sports media member regurgitating the talking points memo he sent out to them. Meanwhile UConn was treated like a school that has accomplished less than Rutgers. Our facilities - which are as good as any in the Big East - came into question, our fanbase - the one that only a decade ago was being featured during the half time shows of every nationally televised college basketball game - was mocked mercilessly.

WM talks as though everything is fine, when everyone clearly knows it is not. Who is he trying to fool? He fails to empathize with fans and shows no emotions, anger and frustrations at the current situation. Contrast that with the interviews and press statements of the ADs at Marquette and Cincinnati.

There is no fight from the guy, no reassuring words that are credible. The guy is a failure in terms of PR and crisis management.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
He could definitely have done a better job communicating with the media and the fan base. Jurich pretty much had every single college sports media member regurgitating the talking points memo he sent out to them. Meanwhile UConn was treated like a school that has accomplished less than Rutgers. Our facilities - which are as good as any in the Big East - came into question, our fanbase - the one that only a decade ago was being featured during the half time shows of every nationally televised college basketball game - was mocked mercilessly.

WM talks as though everything is fine, when everyone clearly knows it is not. Who is he trying to fool? He fails to empathize with fans and shows no emotions, anger and frustrations at the current situation. Contrast that with the interviews and press statements of the ADs at Marquette and Cincinnati.

There is no fight from the guy, no reassuring words that are credible. The guy is a failure in terms of PR and crisis management.
It's not like he has to worry about what the fellow members of his conference will think of his public statements. Now there aren't any.

Reaction Score
warde needs to shed his Buffalo mentality . Stop hanging out at football and basketball practice and shooting the bull with coaches. Be a leader

Reaction Score
I don't think it is too soon to assess Warde. I am sick of reading the excuse making and apologizing for Tranghese, Marinatto, Herbst, Manuel and Aresco.

There have been tons of examples of good leaders slicing through negative conditions to attain victory. Did you deliver the baby or not?

I think you have to acknowledge that negative conditions were shaped before his arrival. He has done or has very little capacity to mitigate them because he simply is not empowered to do so. If so, he is nothing more than the errand boy sent by a clerk to collect a bill.

Susan Herbst may have retained all matters for realignment at her level. This is a strategic decision and at this point it looks like bad strategy. Because it doesn't appear to me that she fully grasps that UConn is not in this fight with all of the weapons that it needs.

Maryland/Rutgers caught them unprepared. Worse yet, they had more notice than the general public, they may have known about this for months in advance. The contingency plan, if there was one, failed.

When Maryland/Rutgers happened, there was a thread on this board right here about votes. It was very clear from the start that UConn's greatest obstacle was Louisville and the negative perception of UConn's football program.

Good strategists would have seen this some time ago. But Susan, her office and Warde Manuel failed to recognize this. I believe based on their actions, that they made a bad assumption that UConn was in uncontested.

Tom Jurich even stated as much: "UConn wasn't penciled in, they were penned in".

Obviously, our state is dealing with far more important matters at the moment. But at some point there should be an inquiry into this cock up.

Reaction Score
Part of leadership is making your constituents feel calm and hopeful at a time of crisis. SH and WM have failed to do that. I put much more blame on WM as his only job is to oversee Athletics, while SH has far more on her plate. Their Baghdad Bob approach is not helping the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom