Warde Manuel's biggest problem is | The Boneyard

Warde Manuel's biggest problem is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
that he wastes one opportunity after another to reset UConn's image in the media in regard to conference realignment. He never, ever shows any moxie at all. UConn sports was built on moxie. We need to look confident, calculated and we need to say we are building for big things. I am now in the miserable failure camp. We need a marketer with vision and savvy. Warde in not worth 475k, he just isn't. Very sad.

Reaction Score
that he wastes one opportunity after another to reset UConn's image in the media in regard to conference realignment. He never, ever shows any moxie at all. UConn sports was built on moxie. We need to look confident, calculated and we need to say we are building for big things. I am now in the miserable failure camp. We need a marketer with vision and savvy. Warde in not worth 475k, he just isn't. Very sad.

He seems slow and plodding to me. We need someone who is hunter, not a harvester.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
At the moment I believe that substance is far more important than style. I think we need to wait a little longer before judging his abilities.

Reaction Score
There is someone who is an assistant to Herbst whose full-time job since coming to UConn has been realignment.

Full-time.

Now, this is all at the Presidential level. We know UConn has a permanent person there talking to other presidents. As for Manuel, it is apparent that UConn is not the type of school where the AD position is a position of huge power, as thes are at many southern schools. I'll say this again even though I've said this a hundred times: in a power struggle between the Tex A&M AD and the Tex A&M President, the President was fired.

Reaction Score
I wish we had time to wait around. He just isn't selling the program in the media. He may be working back room deals, but why waste daily opportunities to send positive information and or propaganda out there. Terrible salesmanship. .

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
There is someone who is an assistant to Herbst whose full-time job since coming to UConn has been realignment.

Full-time.

Now, this is all at the Presidential level. We know UConn has a permanent person there talking to other presidents. As for Manuel, it is apparent that UConn is not the type of school where the AD position is a position of huge power, as thes are at many southern schools. I'll say this again even though I've said this a hundred times: in a power struggle between the Tex A&M AD and the Tex A&M President, the President was fired.

We have a full-time permanent person working on realignment?! I don't know if I should be optimistic or completely dejected.

Reaction Score
We have a full-time permanent person working on realignment?! I don't know if I should be optimistic or completely dejected.

Yes, there is someone doing it, believe it nor not. It's Herbst's assistant in the President's office.

Reaction Score

Full-time.

Thank you for pointing that out... I heard the same thing twice well outside of this board but did not have adequate independant knowledge. People can continue to kick the out of WM here because of PP(not his sole decison) and KO contract issues (again, not his sole decision) but his scope is different than a Jurich scope of responsibility @ this time.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I wish we had time to wait around. He just isn't selling the program in the media. He may be working back room deals, but why waste daily opportunities to send positive information and or propaganda out there. Terrible salesmanship. .
Things are really tentative for UConn. The school is getting hammered on all sides. The last thing anyone does in these situations is expose your head out of the foxhole. You take reconnaisance and know your landscape. The CO's just became a new parameter in the equation. They are not playing clean. I don't buy what people are saying about Georgetown trying to play nice. It's a stalling tactic to tie Aresco's hands for a tv contract and the three remaining football schools hands to get the monies. Sadly this is going to head to litigation imo, unless the three remaining schools opt out of the monies they are owed and can cut a deal.

When you are Poland and the German's and Russians are attacking you on both sides, you can shout all you want about how great you are, but you will probably be the first to get shot and your country will still lose.

My feeling is UConn, Cincy and USF need to accumulate as much information as possible about what has been said privately and publicly by the CO's and determine if they have a legal case to claim damages from these recent events. If they don't they just need to set in motion a new league. The tty thing is they may end up paying exits fees in addition to be forced out and that is the one thing I believe they can avoid.

So pr is the last thing the university needs at this moment. They have bigger problems.

Reaction Score
Things are really tentative for UConn. The school is getting hammered on all sides. The last thing anyone does in these situations is expose your head out of the foxhole. You take reconnaisance and know your landscape. The CO's just became a new parameter in the equation. They are not playing clean. I don't buy what people are saying about Georgetown trying to play nice. It's a stalling tactic to tie Aresco's hands for a tv contract and the three remaining football schools hands to get the monies. Sadly this is going to head to litigation imo, unless the three remaining schools opt out of the monies they are owed and can cut a deal.

When you are Poland and the German's and Russians are attacking you on both sides, you can shout all you want about how great you are, but you will probably be the first to get shot and your country will still lose.

My feeling is UConn, Cincy and USF need to accumulate as much information as possible about what has been said privately and publicly by the CO's and determine if they have a legal case to claim damages from these recent events. If they don't they just need to set in motion a new league. The tty thing is they may end up paying exits fees in addition to be forced out and that is the one thing I believe they can avoid.

So pr is the last thing the university needs at this moment. They have bigger problems.

Fan sentiment and perception matter. We must put a growth plan like UL had in place immediately and talk about it every chance we get. Not begging, marketing. It is critical to build our case as a big boy now, no time to waste.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Fan sentiment and perception matter. We must put a growth plan like UL had in place immediately and talk about it every chance we get. Not begging, marketing. It is critical to build our case as a big boy now, no time to waste.
I'm not against marketing. But they need to survey things and know what the direction they are heading. Major things unfolded quickly with ND and RU leaving and now the CO's. Throwing out there to make us feel great is HFD's job not WM. His role is to wait for the assessment by the CR person Herbst hired and then take the ball and run. Premature statements, no matter how good they sound, cause more harm than good if the statements are proven foolish down the road.

Reaction Score
If this is true, then this is on Herbst for running it like this.

What is Warde getting paid almost 500k for?

Full-time.

Reaction Score
I'm not against marketing. But they need to survey things and know what the direction they are heading. Major things unfolded quickly with ND and RU leaving and now the CO's. Throwing out there to make us feel great is HFD's job not WM. His role is to wait for the assessment by the CR person Herbst hired and then take the ball and run. Premature statements, no matter how good they sound, cause more harm than good if the statements are proven foolish down the road.

No it isn't. I haven't heard him mention the practice facility, the new faculty just hired, SNY ratings or any other positive UConn news. All he talks about is that we are doing nothing. Literally, he says we are doing nothing.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
No it isn't. I haven't heard him mention the practice facility, the new faculty just hired, SNY ratings or any other positive UConn news. All he talks about is that we are doing nothing. Literally, he says we are doing nothing.
Those are certainly things that could be and should be said. Don't know why they aren't if your assertions are accurate. I'm not sure any of those things will change events however. I can shout all I want at a tsunami. But it won't make any difference.

Reaction Score
It makes a difference because prevailing national perception is that we are a rogue athletic department with subpar facilities and low athletic ambition. By promoting ourselves as exceptional academically as well as athletically at every turn, we help change that perception.

Look at it this way: when else is anyone even going to give Warde a platform every single day to get media coverage? The only reason they even talk to him is CR. Why not say something of value while he has the chance?

Reaction Score
The product everyone is screaming to market isn't what others are in the market to buy. UConn has plenty of positives which mean squat in the big picture.

The product other conferences is buying is football.......what Uconn offers as a FB product, right now no one else wants.

How much plainer can the ACC Commissioner make it......UConn is going nowhere for some time.

Ford Motor Company couldn't make the Edsel competitive in the auto market in the 50's........other car companies had better models to offer. Can't say they didn't try.

Won't blame SH or WM. In as much as Doroth and Toto wanted to get back to Kansas, I afraid nothing short of a "Wizzard of Oz" is going to get us a home.

Reaction Score
Some of you guys are definitely on salary rather than entrepreneurial. Doing nothing doesn't create opportunity. You have to make things happen. WVU and UL created their opportunities. Again, wasting valuable media exposure on saying "we're monitoring the situation" is stupid and wasteful. It's free for God sake, tell me something good.

When you are paid 500k just for showing up, you better sound good when you speak. People that can't produce sound bits for the media in this situation aren't worth that kind of money. When Oliver Luck and Jurich spoke, it never sounded like this.

Reaction Score
warde

Full-time.

warde is susans pick. if she wanted someone that would just control the situation she would have hired more experience.

Reaction Score
He's a Northeastern AD, not a Southern AD. This is akin to saying, he's not a wartime consuliere.

I don't think it's a bad thing. I don't know what Jurich's relationship is with his president, but you can bet that Pernetti is a subordinate on the order of Manuel, and so is Gross up at syracuse. The fact that ADs don't have power over Presidents in this neck of the woods is probably a good thing.

As for the $500k, good question. It is pretty ridiculous.

If this is true, then this is on Herbst for running it like this.

What is Warde getting paid almost 500k for?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Some of you guys are definitely on salary rather than entrepreneurial. Doing nothing doesn't create opportunity. You have to make things happen. WVU and UL created their opportunities. Again, wasting valuable media exposure on saying "we're monitoring the situation" is stupid and wasteful. It's free for God sake, tell me something good.

When you are paid 500k just for showing up, you better sound good when you speak. People that can't produce sound bits for the media in this situation aren't worth that kind of money. When Oliver Luck and Jurich spoke, it never sounded like this.

Doing nothing doesn't work for us salaried workers, either! That's the quickest ticket to the unemployment line...

...but I agree with your sentiment that for a half a million dollars, you should at least be expected to give a positive speech. Hell, I could give a positive speech for one tenth the cost!!!

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Doing nothing doesn't work for us salaried workers, either! That's the quickest ticket to the unemployment line...

...but I agree with your sentiment that for a half a million dollars, you should at least be expected to give a positive speech. Hell, I could give a positive speech for one tenth the cost!!!
I put in a word for you. You should be getting a call from President Herbst in about 20 minutes.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
It makes a difference because prevailing national perception is that we are a rogue athletic department with subpar facilities and low athletic ambition. By promoting ourselves as exceptional academically as well as athletically at every turn, we help change that perception.

Look at it this way: when else is anyone even going to give Warde a platform every single day to get media coverage? The only reason they even talk to him is CR. Why not say something of value while he has the chance?
My language was unclear. Absolutely the PR process has been going through a downward spiral of years. And it should be fixed. And it has positive benefits. I just don't believe that in CR the lack of positive PR was high on the list for UConn getting overlooked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom