Warde Manuel silence after Towson clock | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Warde Manuel silence after Towson clock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
.... But at least P is making one decision easy for him.....

One would have thought...wasting a perfect 2 weeks to move to an interim HC was a mistake following on his mistake to make the move at the end of last season which, in turn, is in keeping with his inability to make a firm decision on KO. The man operates in (or better yet is paralyzed by) fear and motivated by self preservation not bold action in pursuit of transformative improvement.

Reaction Score
Quite replaced e honestly, it was always a long shot that Pasqualoni would be replaced before the end of the season. Much as we would have hoped for it, short of committing a criminal act, it wasn't going to happen. Warde was in a perfect position to make a move at the end of last year. Nobody on the planet would have complained. The whole "he needs 3 years" nonsense wasn't applicable because he was a new AD setting a new direction for the program. He flinched then. No reason on this earth to imagine he would act now, despite everything we've seen. He knows he will have to act in December. I shudder to think who he'll bring in, but it probably won't be worse.

Reaction Score
Quite replaced e honestly, it was always a long shot that Pasqualoni would be replaced before the end of the season. Much as we would have hoped for it, short of committing a criminal act, it wasn't going to happen. Warde was in a perfect position to make a move at the end of last year. Nobody on the planet would have complained. The whole "he needs 3 years" nonsense wasn't applicable because he was a new AD setting a new direction for the program. He flinched then. No reason on this earth to imagine he would act now, despite everything we've seen. He knows he will have to act in December. I shudder to think who he'll bring in, but it probably won't be worse.

I wonder what would have happened if WM had told PP that he (WM) was firing GDL. Would PP have resigned (of his own accord, no buyout)?

Reaction Score
But what kind of coaches will be lined up? Will they be Great coaches or Good coaches? That is the million dollar question! We will see, but I'm not expecting a Jim or Geno. Not in the "AAC".

Depends on the size of the lure. If we continue to offer mediocre pay we can expect mediocre applicants. We'll have to exceedingly lucky or exceedingly perspicacious to climb out of the hold P is digging us by honing in on the middle of the pack. Unfortunately, given the whole re-alignment debacle, luck seems to be short supply, and the stock of available perspicacity makes luck look absolutely plentiful.

Reaction Score
Depends on the size of the lure. If we continue to offer mediocre pay we can expect mediocre applicants. We'll have to exceedingly lucky or exceedingly perspicacious to climb out of the hold P is digging us by honing in on the middle of the pack. Unfortunately, given the whole re-alignment debacle, luck seems to be short supply, and the stock of available perspicacity makes luck look absolutely plentiful.

Who the heck are you trying to impress on the Boneyard???

Did it pop up on your desk calendar today ;)

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Hmmm this is the second Simpsons clip I have to embed today:

Unfortunately they cut off the punchline, which is Homer saying "Well, it's always in the last place you look".

C

Chief00

I don't agree with Warde's comment that the team hasn't quit, etc. For the last 2 seasons the team has played with very little emotion or heart. They are going through the motions.

Reaction Score
I had this dream...

Warde scheduled a series with them and Butch came on here saying, he is happy about it.

An ode to junglehusky:

Reaction Score
here we go: Day 7. . .. The Big Guy is getting ready to slap some backs tomorrow at Gampel when Geno's Olympic coaching gig is confirmed (congrats Geno!) Maybe some rude member of the Horde will spoil the party and try to get a comment on what happened last Thursday. BTW ric, you don't like. you don't have to read

Tonight's blast from the past:

Warde Manuel Still In Paul Pasqualoni's Corner
September 23, 2012|By DESMOND CONNER, dconner@courant.com, The Hartford Courant
UConn athletic director Warde Manuel is standing by head football coach Paul Pasqualoni and the coach's staff, but he wants to see more consistency from the team.
He's not alone in that regard.
The coaches and players want to see it, too.
Some fans though thought have seen all they want to see with the 63-year-old Pasqualoni, who is 7-9 since taking over for Randy Edsall in 2011.
The fact that Pasqualoni and offensive coordinator George DeLeone are in their 60s leads some to believe the two are out of touch, despite the fact they both came to UConn from the NFL and built years of success together at Syracuse beginning in the early 1990s.
The fans don't see the actual problems on the field. Well, they see them, but we're talking about an already fragile crowd wondering where the future of UConn football will be in what the new Big East, once Pittsburgh and Syracuse leave next year.
Manuel was at Bradley International Airport around lunchtime Sunday heading to Dallas for the Division I athletic directors meetings. He stopped for an interview with the Courant to discuss Pasqualoni and the 2-2 Huskies, fresh off their 30-24 loss at Western Michigan, a game he attended.
"Too many mistakes, too many blown assignments," said Manuel, a former defensive end at Michigan under legendary coach Bo Schembechler. "I just came from the MAC [Mid-American Conference; he was previously the AD at Buffalo]. MAC football is good football, and these kids have to understand we have to play against a MAC team the same way we play against an ACC team or anybody else. This is Division I-A football, and because of that, we have to understand that we need to go into every game giving 100 percent effort on every play, every series and make sure that we're doing what we need to do to be successful."
From his perspective, Manuel said he likes what he sees from the team effort-wise.
"From my perspective, the team is playing hard. We're just not playing consistent right now, and Paul knows that, the coaches know it, the kids know it," Manuel said. "We have to play more consistent football. From an effort standpoint, from a team standpoint, I like what I see in terms of what they're doing, but we just have to be more consistent."
That being said, Manuel has Pasqualoni's back in terms of support. He said he's not even thinking in the direction of replacing his head coach right now.
"I'm not even thinking about whether Paul is the right coach at this point in his tenure," Manuel said. "He's fine. Nobody is working harder than Paul and that staff and those kids. My expectation and his expectation is that we go out and we plan to win every game we go into. We just have to ensure that we're doing, as coaches, as players and staff, doing everything we need to do to put ourselves in position to win but that's not even remotely in my thought process, about whether or not we have the right coach. I think we have the right coach. We just have to get better."
Asked if he's seen anything that would make him want to make any changes, Manuel said: "Nothing up to this point would make me want to pull out Paul's contract and take a look at it. My goal is to support Paul, support the other head coaches. And at the appropriate time, if it comes that way, at some point he will be the first to know. But nothing up to this point, what I've seen, would cause me to want to take a look at Paul's contract."
Offensively, the Huskies rolled up 425 yards to Western Michigan's 330. Huskies quarterback Chandler Whitmer was 28 of 44 for 333 yards, all season highs. The Huskies played from behind all game, falling behind by as much as 17-0 midway through the second quarter, so opening up the offense was a necessity.
Prior to Saturday, the Huskies got to 2-1 with a ground-and-pound style that was struggling to jell, a rarity at UConn. Sophomore running back Lyle McCombs topped the 100-yard mark for the first time Saturday with 119 against the Broncos.
Fans have come after DeLeone.
Manuel said Pasqualoni is in charge of his staff and will make all personnel decisions, he said he has confidence and supports DeLeone, too.
"Here's where I am on that," Manuel said. "At the end of the season, Paul and I will talk and he'll give me his sense of where he believes it's going and what he wants to do. We'll talk about it, but that's going to be Paul's call. It's Paul's choice in terms of what he wants to do and how he wants to do it in terms of staffing.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I wonder what would have happened if WM had told PP that he (WM) was firing GDL. Would PP have resigned (of his own accord, no buyout)?

Yeah, right.

Reaction Score
Not quite saying Uncle here, but thanks to Mike DiMauro, now that the issue is in the "mainstream" press, no need for daily flashbacks at 10:30 p.m. -- when Warde chose to spoke in less-pressurized environment (after season, middle of post season, preseason). Spinoff of this thread here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom