Walker's Visit this weekend | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Walker's Visit this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
unofficial = visit is self paid = strong interest in uconn = verbals before she leaves = makes me giddy! Sounds right?
I hope she watches BY, the one and only one UConn fan site, and, make a verbal because she will have so many fans already.

Reaction Score
I always wondered why ND waits until the fall to bring recruits on campus. That seems like that would put them behind in the recruiting game. I know it has to do with wanting the recruit to experience a football Saturday, but WCBB recruits aren't going to be playing football. Meanwhile that sly old dog Geno seems to like entertaining recruits just after the WNBA draft. Sure the campus isn't buzzing like a P5 campus during a glorious fall afternoon amidst the college football season, and yeah the campus isn't exactly pretty this time of year with trees still bare and sometimes the last of the snow piles still hanging around, but if you're a top WCBB recruit, I imagine the buzz on the internet and the media from a freshly won title and high WNBA draft picks trumps anything a football weekend offers. It's a smart strategy and quite simple: strike while the iron is hot.

I like that analogy. Sometimes though I wish Geno did wait until the trees and flowers blossom. Women love flowers.

But yes visiting Uconn after the WNBA DRAFT is good....That is as long as you have a player in
the draft that year. And this year Uconn sent 1-2-3 to the top of WNBA DRAFT.

I think ND waits til the fall hoping to wash Uconn off the minds of recruits prior to visiting ND. It's a reach, but it does make one wonder.

Reaction Score
I think ND waits til the fall hoping to wash Uconn off the minds of recruits prior to visiting ND. It's a reach, but it does make one wonder.
I think it's a dumb strategy that they may want to revisit if they hope to draw top recruits. I mean Geno can show off his 11 rings, an office that looks more like a basketball HOF exhibit (thanks Marisa), Gampel and the practice facility with all those banners and murals of some of the greatest players to ever play the game not to mention an overwhelming majority of the top picks in the pros, and a trophy case that can't be enlarged quick enough to hold all the trophies and accolades, oh yeah plus every game televised (half of which on national TV), players and a coach that are constantly in the national media especially come March and April. What does Muffet show and tell recruits? Touchdown Jesus, that one trophy ND won before said top recruit was even born, and hey at least some of our games will be on TV? Geno can't wait until things bloom on campus... Connecticut is a late bloomer as we're still getting regular frosts and freezes in April. If he waited much longer all the players would be home and the campus deserted.

Reaction Score
Has anyone spotted her on campus as of yet? Want to make sure that she actually arrived. :)

Reactions: HGN
Reaction Score
Actually, the use of a pen is NOT allowed in her case until November 15. That is why the most she can offer this weekend is a verbal commitment.

one word is worth a thousand pictures and maybe a few championships in this case

Reaction Score
Connecticut is a late bloomer as we're still getting regular frosts and freezes in April.
Kids make decisions for a variety of reasons, but I suspect that a (say) top 20 recruit (McD's AA) pretty much puts the look of a campus low on her list. She's thought and rethought all variables for the past 3-4 years, and is going to chose because of:
1. totality of the basketball program (coach, philosophy, playing time, development, teammates etc)
2a. proximity to home
2b. academic reputation
(2a and 2b can reverse or one or both may not be a major consideration)

Everything else, really, gets lost in the wash of these 3 potential considerations, which are themselves enough to create vast uncertainty in a lot of recruits. Similarly, academically superior students turn down (say) Duke (which has stunningly beautiful gardens) all the time to go to (say) Harvard or Yale which are physically dreary most of the academic year. These kids don't care about the shrubbery and neither do all-american athletes.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Let the kid have some space. What she does and where she is is none of our business until she runs out the tunnel on to the court at Gampel.
One major edit!
Until she runs out the tunnel on to the court at Gampel in a UCONN uniform.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Kids make decisions for a variety of reasons, but I suspect that a (say) top 20 recruit (McD's AA) pretty much puts the look of a campus low on her list. She's thought and rethought all variables for the past 3-4 years, and is going to chose because of:
1. totality of the basketball program (coach, philosophy, playing time, development, teammates etc)
2a. proximity to home
2b. academic reputation
(2a and 2b can reverse or one or both may not be a major consideration)

Everything else, really, gets lost in the wash of these 3 potential considerations, which are themselves enough to create vast uncertainty in a lot of recruits. Similarly, academically superior students turn down (say) Duke (which has stunningly beautiful gardens) all the time to go to (say) Harvard or Yale which are physically dreary most of the academic year. These kids don't care about the shrubbery and neither do all-american athletes.
A good list, but ... there is a visceral reaction most people have arriving in any knew place, especially a place they may (or have) committed to moving that cuts across all the rest of the crap. It is like house hunting and walking into 20 different houses and 18 of them you know right away you will never live in regardless of amenities and price and square footage and location. They just feel alien. And the same may happen just driving on the block before you see the house itself.

So yes, have a beautiful spring weekend in Storrs is a lot better than having a grey cold wet weekend. Today was spectacular with a vivid blue sky warm sunshine and a refreshing bite to the air. And the forecast is for two more days of the same getting a little warmer each day. Daffodils are in bloom all over - not a bad look for Storrs.

Reaction Score
Sunny with highs in the 60s and lows in the 30s this weekend. You can't beat that for April in Connecticut!

Reaction Score
A good list, but ... there is a visceral reaction most people have arriving in any knew place, especially a place they may (or have) committed to moving that cuts across all the rest of the crap. .
I appreciate what you say, but I'm having a hard time buying it, because it's not (as it usually is for the average kid) a spontaneous decision. Everything's been pointing to it for 3-4 years; nothing is new, all is calculated, with massive amounts of input from parents, coaches, and friends. All the noise of weather, type of town, dorms, etc. has been normalized out. It's inconceivable to me that a highly recruited all-american returns home from a college visit, and says to her parents: I really think this is the best WCBB program for me, but it just seemed like a dreary campus in April; I think I'll go somewhere else that's sunnier and has almost as good a program. I think that's a far more likely decision by a 3 or 4 star athlete. But 5 star athletes have been conditioned by all their support people to be singularly focused on achievement. IMHO.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Mo said yesterday that the four years at UConn were great but she's looking forward to smelling some Texas. I think that supports someone in the UcMiami/bags27 debate. But too tired to cognate.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Dang. I was hoping Virginia would see snow this weekend, but the forecast is 0 snow for the entire state. I knew it was a long shot, but a guy can hope can't he.

Weather Street: Virginia Snowfall Forecast
One of my sons was down to three colleges. one of which was UVA and another U of Mich. He had always liked Mich sports, but swore up and down that he wanted warmer than Connecticut. So after he was accepted, we visited UVA in early April. It was a lousy early spring here in CT. Charlottesville was mid-80s. student in shorts, the perfect weather to validate my son's vision. At the end of April my wife and he went to Ann Arbor (my father had just died, in fact Tax Day is the anniversary, so I was home with my mother). The weather in Mich was still clammy and cold. Of course, he picked UM, sports was higher on his list than warm weather, at least for a CT kid who was used to cold. Let's hope for MW that a series of NC banners is more her dream than going to a school that is typically a pretender in her sport, but 18 year olds do what they do, which is mess with their parents' minds.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I appreciate what you say, but I'm having a hard time buying it, because it's not (as it usually is for the average kid) a spontaneous decision. Everything's been pointing to it for 3-4 years; nothing is new, all is calculated, with massive amounts of input from parents, coaches, and friends. All the noise of weather, type of town, dorms, etc. has been normalized out. It's inconceivable to me that a highly recruited all-american returns home from a college visit, and says to her parents: I really think this is the best WCBB program for me, but it just seemed like a dreary campus in April; I think I'll go somewhere else that's sunnier and has almost as good a program. I think that's a far more likely decision by a 3 or 4 star athlete. But 5 star athletes have been conditioned by all their support people to be singularly focused on achievement. IMHO.
Probably not ... but she is driving in from the airport and smells cow manure for the first time, and the IPhone map says they are two miles from Gampel and they are driving through grey woods with no sign of any houses, the ground is semi - frozen and her first step out of the car goes an inch deep in mud with water seeping into her shoe, and then the grey day gets just a little worse as the heavens open and a downpour soaks through her jacket. She is cold, uncomfortable and tracking mud after her as she heads in to meet the coaching staff - probably not in the best frame of mind to be wowed by the program they have built and how she would fit into the future.
Or as one highly sought recruit experienced - within minutes of arriving on campus her father slips on some ice, busts his ankle and they spend the day in a hospital and the following day with a dad made miserable by a cast and crutches. They couldn't get out of town fast enough.

For Walker none of this applies - she has been on campus, appeared to have a good time and her family is spending their own money to come back for a second look - so it is probably immaterial - but a beautiful spring day doesn't hurt - almost everyone is happier when the weather is great.

Reaction Score
Probably not ... but she is driving in from the airport and smells cow manure for the first time, and the IPhone map says they are two miles from Gampel and they are driving through grey woods with no sign of any houses, the ground is semi - frozen and her first step out of the car goes an inch deep in mud with water seeping into her shoe, and then the grey day gets just a little worse as the heavens open and a downpour soaks through her jacket. She is cold, uncomfortable and tracking mud after her as she heads in to meet the coaching staff - probably not in the best frame of mind to be wowed by the program they have built and how she would fit into the future.
Or as one highly sought recruit experienced - within minutes of arriving on campus her father slips on some ice, busts his ankle and they spend the day in a hospital and the following day with a dad made miserable by a cast and crutches. They couldn't get out of town fast enough.

For Walker none of this applies - she has been on campus, appeared to have a good time and her family is spending their own money to come back for a second look - so it is probably immaterial - but a beautiful spring day doesn't hurt - almost everyone is happier when the weather is great.
It's UConn in April. If it's not snowing, we're already winning, OK? Just don't tell the recruits to visit the beach where it's frigid until mid-June.

Reaction Score
People I might be wrong. But i also might be right. Notre Dame is getting pretty crowded right now with good talent.

These cards play in Uconn favor...And I say this EVEN IF WALKER - DUE TO HER TALENT ALONE - WAS PROMISED PLAYING TIME ELSEWHERE.

The opportunity at the moment is looking to good at Uconn. Going 1-2-3 in the draft turned more than just Walter's head. Some of them talented high school girls woke up from their sleep when that happen (If they were sleeping at the time).

I'm sure someone said "WTH!"

I agree that ND is going to be stacked but actually UConn is also going to be pretty crowded with talented big guards/wings with AEH, Lexi Gordon and hopefully Christyn Williams (2 yrs) joining the current group...............Somehow I think Geno and staff would find something wonderful for MW to do but in fact I'd be even more excited if the Huskies got a big yes from Charli Collier ot another talented post player or two..............

HGN

Reaction Score
Has anyone spotted her on campus as of yet? Want to make sure that she actually arrived. :)
Ucalum, you took the question right out of my mouth. Has she been spotted yet?

Reaction Score
I agree that ND is going to be stacked but actually UConn is also going to be pretty crowded with talented big guards/wings with AEH, Lexi Gordon and hopefully Christyn Williams (2 yrs) joining the current group.....Somehow I think Geno and staff would find something wonderful for MW to do but in fact I'd be even more excited if the Huskies got a big yes from Charli Collier ot another talented post player or two....
Agree. Walker has the talent and drive to excel wherever she goes to school. I imagine we'll know shortly her choice after her series of visits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom