Wake 3. Yawkey 0 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Wake 3. Yawkey 0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
An army guy, eh? I'll try to type slower.
You were in the Air Force. Typing slowly comes natural there with the one finger. Just be sure not to injure your thumb when you hit the shift key, and you should be fine.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
I feel kike a prime-time TV viewer right now. I made it through 75% of this before finally moving on to another thread yet my "view" was already captured for ratings.

Reaction Score
I suppose if not knowing when the Bruins( or, Islanders, Rangers, et al ) open up their Hockey season is a disqualifyer for assessments on BC, Uconn, etc and anything related to College football, then I plead guilty. along with probably 95% of other posters on this football side of this board. I don't evaluate what people say here regarding football comments on the basis of what they know about the Bruins and other teams in the NFL.... and their new season schedule. But who knows, maybe thats just me here talking.

Not knowing that Northeastern dropped its football program 16 years ago did not help your cause...

Reaction Score
Yes, thrilling for trying to STAY AWAKE!! Ny-Tol is going to sell it as a sleep aid.
Well, you did type this at 5 :17 am before sunrise today, so my hunch is, you should know a lot about " sleep aids", no ?

Reaction Score
Not knowing that Northeastern dropped its football program 16 years ago did not help your cause...
Its true. I plead guilty to that momentary lapse of remembrance of this. I also don't know when the Bruins season starts either..... should this hurt " my cause " even more to speak on BC football related topics on here, do you think ? If so, I'll try to bone up on my knowledge of past Northeastern football, and the Boston Bruins if you and others will join me in studying these 2 things too before will all post here again on BC football related topics. Fair and balanced enough request, do you think ?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The New Haven Register even quoted a source in 1940 that said that BC should not have been ranked in the Top 5 that year as they utilized semi stitched footballs in the first half vs. Tennessee in that Sugar Bowl win of theirs. So I'm not convinced that BC deserves even their #5th ranking for being undefeated, untied and knocking off #1 ranked Tennessee in the Sugar Bowl that year.

I love the internet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1940_NCAA_football_rankings

OK, after the final week of football, the AP's top 10 were as followed: 1) Minnesota (8-0), who took over the top spot back in week 8 from Cornell, 2) Stanford 8-0, 3) Michigan 7-1, 4) Tennessee 10-0, 5) BC 10-0, 6) Texas A&M 8-1, who was the defending champions, 7) Nebraska 8-1, 8) Northwestern 6-2, 9) Miss St 8-0-1, and 2) Washington 7-2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1940_college_football_season

There were 5 Bowls in 1940 and this was before several current arrangements (pre-BCS) were in place, such as the PAC & B1G Rose Bowl alliance. So, Rose Bowl - #2 Stanford beats #7 Nebraska, Sugar Bowl - #5 BC beats #4 Tennessee, Orange Bowl #9 Miss St beats #13 Georgetown, Cotton Bowl #6 Texas A&M beats #12 Fordham, and Sun Bowl unranked Case Western beats unranked Arizona St.

Minnesota went undefeated in B1G plan and beat 5 teams that were ranked at one point or another (Washington, Nebraska, Ohio St, Northwestern and Michigan); but, they did not win a bowl. So, I can see a bowl winning, undefeated team jumping them.

Stanford went undefeated in the PAC, was ranked #2 and won the Rose Bowl. During their season, they also beat 5 teams that were ranked at some point during the season (Washington St, USC, Washington, Oregon St & Nebraska).

BC went undefeated in eastern play and went into the Sugar Bowl as the #5 AP team and beat #4 Tennessee. During their season, they beat 2 teams that were ranked at some point in time (Georgetown & Tennessee).

Thus, looking objectively at the 'final' poll with a focus on the 3 undefeated teams at the end of the season, Minnesota did play a challenging schedule, went undefeated and did noting to warrant losing its #1 AP ranking. The same can be said of Stanford and, if Bowl wins are a big thing, I can see them leapfrogging Minnesota. BC also went undefeated and had a big win against Tennessee; but, they had the 'weakest' schedule that featured only 2 ranked teams with two major out-of-region games against a pair of mediocre SEC teams in 1940 in Tulane (5-5) and Auburn (6-4-1). So, yes, BC had a very good season in 1940/41 and did well to go undefeated. But, their schedule strength and overall accomplishments puts them behind the other 2 undefeated teams of that year - Minnesota and Stanford. Thus, the evidence supports the NCAA's official records that BC DID NOT WIN a national championship in football in 1940/41. The only saving grace is that the 1 guy who voted Tennessee as the national champion was even more delusional and likely still works at ESPN.

Reaction Score
CQ_TZ7tWUAAzBFw.0.0.jpg

Reaction Score
I thought this thread topic might have had Top 25 Boneyard Post written all over it on Saturday. But somehow it got diverted by the fascination with how much significance BC's Sugar Bowl Game win over #1 ranked Tennessee in 1940 has. You'll notice, I certainly did not bring this Sugar Bowl into this thread.... AT ALL.... So I apologize to any of the Boneyarders here if they don't want to discuss any further whether undefeated, untied, BC should have finished 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th in 1940. I mean, we are talking about 1940 with this right ? If some at BC want to say they finished 1st, and others somewhere want to say they finished 5th ( or 25th ), its ok. It really is. My day today ( and I hope all others here ) won't be effected by whether some here think BC was 1st or was 5th in 1940. So if its 5th place for ya, its sounds perfectly fine to me. Perhaps someday we can have a discussion here on whether or not Uconn should or should not have cracked the final Top 25 in football some season. Let me go on record now as saying that when it happens that " Yes ", they deserved to make that TOP 25. Ok, so its shameless pandering some might think, but I want and need more " likes " on my posts now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There was already a trophy created for today's more important game... Uconn vs. UCF. Congratulations are in order to Uconn for winning their new annual Rivalry game. I would have thought they'd be more thread views this week on this UCF game this week, instead of what BC is doing these days... but the interest ( at least on this board ) is on BC rather than on any of the Uconn league games. The tread views this week tell the indisputable truth of where the interest lies this week.

Since there is apparently a lot of interest here with this BC game, I can provide my obervations. It was considered one of the most thrilling games of the year by ESPN. BC is a tale of 2 cities. It has one of the best defenses this season in all of college football, but likewise, the worst offense in all of collegw football. Very frustrating. As most know here who follow BC games with regularity, BC lost both their starting QB AND their starting, best RB in the 2nd game of the season. The OL is the youngest and most inexperienced in the ACC, having lost the entire OL to graduation last season. BC turned the ball over 4 times in the game.... missed a 8 yard field goal attempt. Wake had 33 yards total rushing offense, half of it on one play.. It is frustrating for BC fans to watch this rebuilding offense this season. Uconn fans know this from last season. Bc will struggle the rest of this seaaon, but when Wade and Hillman return next season , and all the offense and most of trhe defense back as well, BC should be right back to winning football and Bowl Games again, imo.
Anytime a college football game ends 3-0 it's noteworthy. Let alone college football royalty

Reaction Score
I guess I am still a "mod" here; so, if my vote counts ... I am asking Fishy to ban your Ass. Then, you can go come back as BCBlowfish or something. I don't care how old you are nor whether you served in the military. You've been Uber dismissive to people I think are fairly even handed. You need to go!!

Reaction Score
I guess I am still a "mod" here; so, if my vote counts ... I am asking Fishy to ban your Ass. Then, you can go come back as BCBlowfish or something. I don't care how old you are nor whether you served in the military. You've been Uber dismissive to people I think are fairly even handed. You need to go!!

Could not agree more.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
Yawkey, I may be talking to a wall here but I will try to clarify a couple of points for you. No one here is 'ribbing you' or engaging in sporting repartee. You are more likely to be kicked in the ribs forcefully and repeatedly. Nor are we, the UConn fans, preoccupied with you or with the venal pack of hypocrites that you root for. You have pitched a tent in our living room and regaled us with thinly disguised contempt for UConn football including a list of 'reasonable' concessions Ct should make to BC to restart a series - in acknowledgement of your delusional perspective of BC's superior status. You repeatedly manufacture quotes and opinions from both individual posters and from some mythical BC loving UConn fan that exists only in your imagination. You try to hide behind a mask of friendly conversation but we all see through it; you are not a friend of any friend of UConn football. You obviously crave attention but I strongly suggest you look for it elsewhere. Surely there's another BC fan somewhere with whom you can happily exchange lies about UConn
SeoulHuskyFan: Wow, remind me never to engage you in a debate, especially one that involves psychoanalysis! ;) . We're brothers in arms as UConn football fans, and I'm glad we're on the same side!

Reaction Score
Well, you did type this at 5 :17 am before sunrise today, so my hunch is, you should know a lot about " sleep aids", no ?
No, I was enjoying breakfast with wife, since I had a client meeting at 7:00 in Sarasota.

Reaction Score
30017970.jpg

It feels like Thanksgiving evening. I just ingested four pages of that moron. That was painful.

Sadly, he never did anything to me; but make me laugh. I have clients who are even more hard headed then this, with me going - 'Sorry, we can't do that for you because it is illegal,' and them responding, 'whatever, if you don't do it for us, we will find someone who will.'

Reaction Score
Yawkey, I was thinking of putting you on ignore but the problem is your posts show up in replies. So I guess I will just ignore any thread in which you post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom