Waiting for Nelson's explanation | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Waiting for Nelson's explanation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't understand the point of the thread. Anyone who has spent more than ten seconds on the Boneyard presumably recognizes that nelson is not going to say he was wrong about something. You might as well be arguing with Ted Cruz over the benefits of the Affordable Health Care Act.

Reaction Score
I don't understand the point of the thread. Anyone who has spent more than ten seconds on the Boneyard presumably recognizes that nelson is not going to say he was wrong about something. You might as well be arguing with Ted Cruz over the benefits of the Affordable Health Care Act.
Touché.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Desire to get out of the conference and saying the only viable option is Football independence and a lower mid-major for all other sports are mutually exclusive. Football independence puts a ceiling on any possible positive movement.

UConn Football was on ESPN3 last year because that is what the existing contract called for. UConn wasn't a very good program with a 3-9 record and my understanding is that a new contract kicks in next fall that precludes ESPN3 games for the AAC.

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't understand the point of the thread. Anyone who has spent more than ten seconds on the Boneyard presumably recognizes that nelson is going to say he was wrong about something. You might as well be arguing with Ted Cruz over the benefits of the Affordable Health Care Act.

Old lawyer tactic to say someone is unreasonable because they never admit they are wrong. That gives me the option of a) admitting I am wrong or b) being "unreasonable". Instead, I would invite You to review my track record. My positions are data driven, and I an right a lot more than I am wrong. A better political analogy is Nate Silver. I will admit I am biased, but I go off analysis, not opinion, and I am usually right. My bubble teams thread is a good example.

Reaction Score
Old lawyer tactic to say someone is unreasonable because they never admit they are wrong. That gives me the option of a) admitting I am wrong or b) being "unreasonable". Instead, I would invite You to review my track record. My positions are data driven, and I an right a lot more than I am wrong. A better political analogy is Nate Silver. I will admit I am biased, but I go off analysis, not opinion, and I am usually right. My bubble teams thread is a good example.

Not surprisingly, you are not getting my point. I did not say you were either right or wrong. My point -- which is indisputable -- is that there was no point in the thread because not once in the history of the board have you simply admitted to being wrong.

Plus, I thought the healthcare reference would soften it for you.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Memphis has been recruiting at a high level for years, so getting seeded 8th is not an excuse for losing to a team like Virginia.

What an absurd statement
Nelson - you make some good points but you get too carried away with comparatives at times
Virginia is a solid team

Reaction Score
A couple of things to remember with the NBE. They are just getting real money for the first time. They were probably getting $2-2.5MM a year in the Big East. Now they are getting about $5 million.

You perpetually exaggerate the NBE deal. The most generous estimates peg the deal at $500M over 12 years. That amount could include headroom for adding two additional teams. But let's assume that it doesn't, it works out to annual take of $41.67M per year when applied evenly over the term of the contract (or $4.167M a year, per school). However, it's a virtual certainty that this deal backloads payments. If I had to guess, NBE teams are taking home between $3.2-$3.6M a year to get things started, which, is about $1-1.5M more than the AAC TV contract. Then, consider that the ACC gets to renegotiate their deal in 2019 dollars, 6 years before the NBE contract ends. Over the long term, the delta of the NBE payout is negligible and irrelevant. Meanwhile, the AAC gets real guaranteed, exposure and all the spoils of CR. UConn will be pocketing an additional $5-$6M annually in exit fees and NCAA credits alone. At least for the next 3-4 years, it would be nonsensical (dopey) to join the NBE for financial reasons.

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You perpetually exaggerate the NBE deal. The most generous estimates peg the deal at $500M over 12 years. That amount could include headroom for adding two additional teams. But let's assume that it doesn't, it works out to annual take of $41.67M per year when applied evenly over the term of the contract (or $4.167M a year, per school). However, it's a virtual certainty that this deal backloads payments. If I had to guess, NBE teams are taking home between $3.2-$3.6M a year to get things started, which, is about $1-1.5M more than the AAC TV contract. Then, consider that the ACC gets to renegotiate their deal in 2019 dollars, 6 years before the NBE contract ends. Over the long term, the delta of the NBE payout is negligible and irrelevant. Meanwhile, the AAC gets real guaranteed, exposure and all the spoils of CR. UConn will be pocketing an additional $5-$6M annually in exit fees and NCAA credits alone. At least for the next 3-4 years, it would be nonsensical (dopey) to join the NBE for financial reasons.

Apparently itgoeslike has better sources than the Washington Post, which pegs it at $600MM over 12 years.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...0d341c-90ea-11e2-bdea-e32ad90da239_story.html

I bet our deal is back-end loaded too, which means that each AAC school is probably getting less than $2MM for all sports while Depaul is getting $4-5MM for basketball alone.

The reason I argue is because the blind, ignorant hatred of a league that did nothing to harm UConn leads to exaggerated posts like the one itgoeslike made above. If anyone on this board would just look at it rationally, then we would not have 50 post threads of me repeating the obvious to a pack of braying donkeys.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Not surprisingly, you are not getting my point. I did not say you were either right or wrong. My point -- which is indisputable -- is that there was no point in the thread because not once in the history of the board have you simply admitted to being wrong.

Plus, I thought the healthcare reference would soften it for you.

It is interesting that you doubled down on the "indisputable point" that this thread, which was started by a poster calling me out personally, is pointless because I am wrong so any defense of the personal attack on me shows I am being unreasonable. Got it.

Reaction Score
Apparently itgoeslike has better sources than the Washington Post, which pegs it at $600MM over 12 years.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...0d341c-90ea-11e2-bdea-e32ad90da239_story.html

I bet our deal is back-end loaded too, which means that each AAC school is probably getting less than $2MM for all sports while Depaul is getting $4-5MM for basketball alone.

The reason I argue is because the blind, ignorant hatred of a league that did nothing to harm UConn leads to exaggerated posts like the one itgoeslike made above. If anyone on this board would just look at it rationally, then we would not have 50 post threads of me repeating the obvious to a pack of braying donkeys.

Wrong. . . Again. The deal is worth exactly what I posted. The $600M figure is if they invite two more teams, which still yields exactly what I posted. I invite readers to review the links below that detail the valuation of the deal from the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, USA Today and wait for it. . . Fox Sports.

"The new Big East launched as a 10-member league Wednesday with the additions of Butler, Creighton andXavier and a 12-year deal with Fox. The agreement is worth about $500 million with the possibility of increasing to $600 million were the league to add more members, according to a person with knowledge of the details." --Fox Sports

"Fox won them over with a 12-year deal worth about $500 million, according to reports. But the contract could spike to $600 million if the conference grows to a dozen teams" --New York Times

The deal between the network and what is expected to be a 10-team Big East conference is valued at $500 million over the next 12 years. . .if the conference can add two more members, the value will approach $600 million. --The Wall Street Journal

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/12/s...rts-and-new-big-east-are-teaming-up.html?_r=0
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424127887323415304578370854094331488
http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebasketball/story/butler-creighton-xavier-join-big-east-032013
http://awfulannouncing.com/2013/details-on-fox-s-deal-with-the-new-big-east.html
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...r-butler-creighton-signs-tv-contract/2002227/
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...-schools-working-lucrative-tv-deal-basketball

I don't have problem with the NBE and believe that the Fox deal was their best and only option. Go back and read my posts. I do have a problem with posters who actively look to undermine UConn, which is what your agenda appears to be.

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
itgoeslike,

So according to your post, there is $50MM over the next 12 years for our basketball team just sitting there if we ask. Then we are really f*ing stupid for staying in this southern mid-major conference.

Reaction Score
Nelson,

You are not doing the complete math on this. If you were, you would see that it makes financial sense to stay in the AAC for at least the next 3-4 years. If we are still where we are at the end of 3-4 years then UConn needs to evaluate its options. In the meantime, as painful as it is, we need to support the AAC to the extent it benefits UConn. It's as simple as that.

Reaction Score
I think the events of this weekend fit my narrative pretty well. Memphis got smoked and Cincinnati went out in the first round. Creighton got blown out too, but Providence played very well against UNC and Villanova lost to a good team. The Big East had a down year this year. Georgetown will be back. Other than Temple getting better again, this is about as good as the AAC is going to get.
BTW, there no BE teams in the Sweet 16. Just thought I'd mention that in case you didn't notice.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
BTW, there no BE teams in the Sweet 16. Just thought I'd mention that in case you didn't notice.

BTW, UConn is the only AAC team playing in the Sweet 16. Just thought I'd mention that again in case you didn't notice.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Nelson,

You are not doing the complete math on this. If you were, you would see that it makes financial sense to stay in the AAC for at least the next 3-4 years. If we are still where we are at the end of 3-4 years then UConn needs to evaluate its options. In the meantime, as painful as it is, we need to support the AAC to the extent it benefits UConn. It's as simple as that.

So it comes down to the exit fees again. I have never argued that as a reason to stay in the AAC for a couple of years. I wouldn't delay leaving this disaster to scrape the last few dollars off the floor though.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
BTW, UConn is the only AAC team playing in the Sweet 16. Just thought I'd mention that again in case you didn't notice.

Actually, UofL is too.

Moron. Don't you even know what year it is???

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
And Louisville. So it's only 2 - 0.

Louisville. Holy crap, I forgot Louisville. Louisville is a great reason to stay in the AAC. We will have a tremendous rivalry with Louisville over the next 20 years in this hellhole of a conference. You have made the greatest argument in the history of the Boneyard with this post. I can't give you enough likes for it, so I won't give you any.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Along the same lines, you could make a case that the AAC is not that bad because Syracuse, Pitt, Villanova and Providence used to be in a conference with us too. And if we are going to include teams that aren't in our conference as an argument for why the AAC doesn't suck, why not add Florida and Arizona?

Reaction Score
So it comes down to the exit fees again. I have never argued that as a reason to stay in the AAC for a couple of years. I wouldn't delay leaving this disaster to scrape the last few dollars off the floor though.

If by "scraps off the floor" you mean the equivalent a 5 years of NBE revenue, then Yes. Then there's the NCAA credits. . .more exit fees. . .

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

So, go into a conference that is on the blackhole of TV and is worse in March?

Reaction Score
Purnell was pulled out of Clemson to go to Depaul.

The NBE does not "job" the RPI. It wins games while the AAC schools do not. Look at some of the teams that USF and UCF lost to (Detroit, Valpo, Florida Atlantic, Santa Clara).

Williams left Marquette because a school that pays its coach $3MM a year expects more.

Next year's AAC, outside of UConn, has 3 teams that even made the tournament, and 2 of those lost their first game, with the third getting blown out in its' second game. If Creighton is a fraud, them Memphis is a fraud. Can't have it both ways.

The Big East gets more money, and has a media partner that isn't trying to destroy it. ESPN HATES the AAC and is damaging UConn every chance it gets. I can come up with a reason, as can the rest of us, but we can not deny it is happening. The exposure argument is absurd when there were 3 UConn football games that were only available on the Internet. Think about that. Who is to say Fox wouldn't give us 2 or 3 national games a year as a football Independent if we signed with the Big East for hoops? It can't be any worse than it is now for football.

And if you ever wanted to force ESPN to write the ACC a check to cover us, the way to do it is to threaten to leave for Fox. Why would ESPN pay a nickel more for us now if we aren't going anywhere?
Creighton was the best team in the NBE and Memphis was 5th, one lost as a 3 and one lost as an 8 seed.

You cannot compare the two.

When guys like Buzz Williams leave to go to Va Tech because he thinks the NBE is crap it is not a good sign. Neither is sending 0 teams to the Sweet 16, espically when you have a 3 and a 2, that were proven to be products of a weak conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom