Vols lose | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Vols lose

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Watched the game and Tenn had no poise, no chemistry, absolutely no discipline which leads to no execution. To much one on one dribble drive. Very little passing. I could only imagine if Tenn played a top team. Hey Tenn can loose to almost anybody. They did not look like a top team.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
happy-dance-gif-10.gif

Reaction Score
29 turnovers is shameful but it fits a pattern of LV performance last few years.....

Also, not Kellies best coaching performance

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I've been surprised by Tennessee's lofty preseason ranking. A Top Twenty team but not a Top Five team...........
You, and most every other sane WCBB fan. The pre-season pollsters went bananas over the "pieces" Tennessee added. Getting Jackson and the rest suddenly vaulted them to a NC contender and 1 seed. And UCONN was dropped to a 3-seed.

The funny thing is that UCONN has more talent on their roster based on rankings coming out of HS than Tenn (AFTER season ending injuries to Paige and Ice), and it's not really close. But it's why you play the games. After the game (it was on the BTN), they listed 5 teams who could win the NC. SC, Stanford, Tennessee, Iowa State, and 1 other I forget. It was comical.

I missed the 1st half and watched the 2nd half. Tenn is the same old Tennessee. Athletic, crash the boards, 1 on 1 offense (Jaz Walker had some nice moves, but the amount of offense that was played, or lack of it, was shocking). It was great to see the meltdown - and then the frantic full court press for the last 4 minutes or so.

Some are like "but they have so much talent - they will get it as the season progresses". Really? Certainly you can work on things over the course of the season, but the summer and 2 months you have PRE-SEASON is where you really set the table for what your team will do for the year.

Once the season starts, you have classes, travel for games, mixing up game plans for the next game, watching film, etc. You can certainly work on things and improve, but teaching offense from scratch will simply not happen (IMHO). Tennessee will certainly win some games this year. Probably percolate around the top 15. But against an experience team who has good chemistry and has played together for a few years - they will struggle.

It would be different if they added in 1 or 2 uber-transfers. Like UCONN adding in Lou. But UCONN is "only" working in 3 new players now. 1 will likely start. Tennessee is working in like 5 or so new players. And 1 is the starting PG. No bueno. Just my $.02...

I will say I was impressed with Walker - altho all 1 on 1 play and not much of a PG facilitator, and Key is quite good.

I would expect tOSU to jump to 7 or 8 and Tennessee to drop to 8 or 9. It's not like they lost to an unranked team. On the other hand, the lead got up to 20 and the game wasn't as close as the 12 point MOV so maybe they drop to 10 or fall just out. We will see soon enough.

Bottom line, the loss was indeed like an early Christmas present. So fun and pretty and nice to see!!

Reaction Score
TN played like they had no preseason. EricLA is right, obviously the pre-season didn't take effect. They should drop out of the top ten. It will be difficult for them to recast. No pg. Where was Horston?

Reaction Score
I have to tip my hat to Ohio State players and their coaching staff. They stayed with the pressure the whole game. Most coaches give up and try something else if they are down and the pressure defense isn't getting results that they like to see out there on the floor. Ohio State stayed with it and wore down Tennessee. Nice game plan.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
FGM = 28
TO = 29
:eek::confused:
TN likes to keep their stats balanced ...
FG - 28
Fouls - 28
TOs - 29
DReb - 28

Someone screwed up with the extra TO, but it was the first game of the season.:eek: :cool::confused:

I am surprised no one mentioned the fouls as well as the TOs. That's a pretty huge number and really doesn't include intentional fouls at the end as the game wasn't that close.

Sorry, but I don't care if you have new players, they have been on campus for 5 months playing pickup and have been practicing for a month. I understand freshmen may get a wake-up call in their first D1 game, but they started 4 seniors and a Grad student and two of the next three were a junior and another senior. That is an experienced group of players who couldn't pass the ball to another player with the same color jersey.

Ohio State is a good team, and congrats for both teams stepping up and playing a worthy opponent, instead of the typical sisters of mercy competition so many power 5 teams play OOC. And I am sure both teams will get better over the course of the season, but no mistaking TN and Kellie have a lot of work to do.

Reaction Score
Bunch of 1 on 1 players, no team, that's the quick sum up.

IMO this is a continuation of what Tennessee has done since Pat Summitt's retirement. Holly Warlick recruited some great individual HS players but couldn't get them to play as a team. Same thing appears to be happening with Harper's teams. Warlick & Harper are part of Summitt's coaching tree but they lack Summitt's fierce personality that could & did compel her players to work together as a team.

Reaction Score
IMO this is a continuation of what Tennessee has done since Pat Summitt's retirement. Holly Warlick recruited some great individual HS players but couldn't get them to play as a team. Same thing appears to be happening with Harper's teams. Warlick & Harper are part of Summitt's coaching tree but they lack Summitt's fierce personality that could & did compel her players to work together as a team.
Schools that hire "from the tree" fail more often than they succeed.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I would add that what everyone seems to be forgetting is tOSU earned their way to the Sweet16 last year without Dorka and has all the players returning (the most crucial ones). This is a VERY GOOD Buckeye team and this thread, while rejoicing in the Tennessee loss is overlooking how good and under-rated Kevin McGuff's team is. They are a top 10 team and should be the co-favorite with Iowa to win the Big10 and as the game showed, they play defense, which is foreign to the Hawkeye's.

That said, yes, I noted many a time how just adding Rickea Jackson whose press clippings are far more substantial than anything she has earned, seemed to justify the scribe's lunacy to try and make Tennessee relevant again. Rickea never earned a first team SEC selection and was not a leader when MSU needed her to be so color me skeptical. Powell too, was to be the PG answer yet that Minnesota team did not show any signs of quality while she was there so again, I am suspect.

Add in the turnover machine that is Jordan Horstan and the lack of any offensive scheme and you have what we all saw. But to write off Tennessee after 1 game against a top team would be a mistake. They are still very long and have talent on this team so they have significant room to improve.

Reaction Score
TN on paper looks very good. Maybe a little over ranked but I think most expect their additional weapons to wear down teams over the course of the year.

I didn't watch but OSU appeared to have a game plan that has caused the LVs to struggle for years now: high pressure defense that results in lots of TOs and also getting their shooters open for clean looks. I've been amazed (even going back to the end of Pat's time) how UT will allow shooters to get open consistently and make no adjustments.

This was no way to start for the team but their season is far from over. Maybe this will be the catalyst the team needs.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Schools that hire "from the tree" fail more often than they succeed.
To both you and @Beemer to say that Kellie is a failure because Holly was a failure is "apples and oranges". Holly just recruited the top talent regardless of fit and personality. Add in the fact she had no development process, had no prior experience to earn the Tennessee job, was clueless on offense and that's why she got fired.

Kellie did have success Western Carolina, was a failure at NC State, was very successful at Missouri State and I would say she's done a great job thus far at Tennessee despite being a tad overrated this year. She's still early in her tenure so to me she needs to make the Sweet 16 and Elite 8 progression and stay in the top 3 of the SEC.

Some trees are better than others and the Women's game does not have a long history yet (40+ years of NCAA affiliation) and probably (and I am going to regret typing this) only Muffet McGraw has a very good coaching tree-Bill Fennelly, Kevin McGuff, Meg Duffy, Niele Ivey, Beth Cunningham, Coquese Washington and Jonathan Tsipsis to name a few.

Two other names with pretty good coaching trees are Jim Foster (starting with Geno and Muffett) and then, dare I say this name-Brenda Friese. Jeff Walz, Tina Langley, Joanna Bernabei-McNamee to name 3 prominent HCs (she also had Billy Fennelly as a coach who is an assistant on his father's staff at ISU).

While I understand the most truly successful programs do struggle replacing the Icon with a former player/assistant, to say most trees fail might be a bridge too far.

Reaction Score
I would add that what everyone seems to be forgetting is tOSU earned their way to the Sweet16 last year without Dorka and has all the players returning (the most crucial ones). This is a VERY GOOD Buckeye team and this thread, while rejoicing in the Tennessee loss is overlooking how good and under-rated Kevin McGuff's team is. They are a top 10 team and should be the co-favorite with Iowa to win the Big10 and as the game showed, they play defense, which is foreign to the Hawkeye's.

That said, yes, I noted many a time how just adding Rickea Jackson whose press clippings are far more substantial than anything she has earned, seemed to justify the scribe's lunacy to try and make Tennessee relevant again. Rickea never earned a first team SEC selection and was not a leader when MSU needed her to be so color me skeptical. Powell too, was to be the PG answer yet that Minnesota team did not show any signs of quality while she was there so again, I am suspect.

Add in the turnover machine that is Jordan Horstan and the lack of any offensive scheme and you have what we all saw. But to write off Tennessee after 1 game against a top team would be a mistake. They are still very long and have talent on this team so they have significant room to improve.
Not everyone ;)

Posters who follow the BIG10 closely are fully aware of the havoc this team can and will create this season. And this was without Greene (sic?) who was out last season. The guard position is significantly deeper with her back to go along with Sheldon and Mikesell.

Reaction Score
To both you and @Beemer to say that Kellie is a failure because Holly was a failure is "apples and oranges". Holly just recruited the top talent regardless of fit and personality. Add in the fact she had no development process, had no prior experience to earn the Tennessee job, was clueless on offense and that's why she got fired.

Kellie did have success Western Carolina, was a failure at NC State, was very successful at Missouri State and I would say she's done a great job thus far at Tennessee despite being a tad overrated this year. She's still early in her tenure so to me she needs to make the Sweet 16 and Elite 8 progression and stay in the top 3 of the SEC.

Some trees are better than others and the Women's game does not have a long history yet (40+ years of NCAA affiliation) and probably (and I am going to regret typing this) only Muffet McGraw has a very good coaching tree-Bill Fennelly, Kevin McGuff, Meg Duffy, Niele Ivey, Beth Cunningham, Coquese Washington and Jonathan Tsipsis to name a few.

Two other names with pretty good coaching trees are Jim Foster (starting with Geno and Muffett) and then, dare I say this name-Brenda Friese. Jeff Walz, Tina Langley, Joanna Bernabei-McNamee to name 3 prominent HCs (she also had Billy Fennelly as a coach who is an assistant on his father's staff at ISU).

While I understand the most truly successful programs do struggle replacing the Icon with a former player/assistant, to say most trees fail might be a bridge too far.

I didn't say Harper was a failure. She isn't, at least not yet. However the same issue (inability to get really good players to work as a team) seems to be cropping up as it did with Warlick's teams. If Harper doesn't correct it then yes, she will fail.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score

Beamer did not play at South Carolina. He played at Virginia Tech. He was an assistant under Spurrier at South Carolina and he was born in South Carolina. That is why he was so keen on coming to South Carolina.

Reaction Score
Tennessee regardless of outcome this year faces a lot of uncertainty next year and going forward.

She's not going to be able to keep pace with SC, LSU and Texas if she doesn't turn around the high school recruiting.

Reaction Score
Beamer did not play at South Carolina. He played at Virginia Tech. He was an assistant under Spurrier at South Carolina and he was born in South Carolina. That is why he was so keen on coming to South Carolina.
Huh?

What’s Shane Beamer have to do with Tennessee WBB?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom