Voepel on Husky-LadyVol Rivalry | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Voepel on Husky-LadyVol Rivalry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
The best game (In any sport) I ever attended was the first TENN game at Gampel. The loudest of any I've ever been to. My ears were ringing for three days. Just awesome. A real golden moment in the sport. Fast forward to present day: While I recognize the historic importance of the series I'm so "over" this media push to rekindle the matchup and it sounds like Geno is too.

mr006

Reaction Score
We try to play just about every other top team, and so does Tennessee... even if it is no longer a relevant rivalry, we should also play them, if only for that reason, for as long as they (and we) are a top team. Do we NEED it? No. Does it matter to the teams nowadays? Probably not. But in general, I would think most CT fans would welcome the renewal, certainly no less than the other Top 10 match-ups we currently have (as opposed to our current AAC opponents, for example), and I'm sure the folks down south would gladly come out to boo us, should they be given the chance. Good practice for other hostile environments.

Try as they might, ESPN won't get it to happen this time around... but hey, they can always try again on the 25th anniversary. ;)

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
We try to play just about every other top team, and so does Tennessee... even if it is no longer a relevant rivalry, we should also play them, if only for that reason, for as long as they (and we) are a top team. Do we NEED it? No. Does it matter to the teams nowadays? Probably not. But in general, I would think most CT fans would welcome the renewal, certainly no less than the other Top 10 match-ups we currently have (as opposed to our current AAC opponents, for example), and I'm sure the folks down south would gladly come out to boo us, should they be given the chance. Good practice for other hostile environments.

Try as they might, ESPN won't get it to happen this time around... but hey, they can always try again on the 25th anniversary. ;)
They - the powers that be will probably match us in the same bracket in the Tmt regionals this yr , if they think tenn is Gd enough to compete with us- and then ride that as much as they can.

Reaction Score
In a recent interview, though it was lost behind more colorful remarks, Geno correctly observed (best paraphrase I can muster): What rivalry. That's gone. We've moved on. Stanford and UConn is a rivalry. I'd say UConn and ND is the best rivalry in women's basketball.
Yep, that's right. It WAS a rivalry, and it isn't one now. It would just be a fascinating game with an amazing backstory, which is why it would be good for women's basketball and one reason why I would love to see the game played.

Reaction Score
They - the powers that be will probably match us in the same bracket in the Tmt regionals this yr , if they think tenn is Gd enough to compete with us- and then ride that as much as they can.
From your mouth to God's ears.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The difference is the game really doesn't need Uconn/Tenn the way it did. For most of the history of the games, Uconn and Tenn were 'women's basketball' as far as the general public was concerned. Now you have a lot of teams that draw 8,000-10,000 for big games during the season, and you cannot scroll through the sports channels without finding WCBB almost every night.
A revival of the game would almost be anticlimactic. It just wouldn't carry the same meaning. Someday it will happen in the single elimination format of the NCAAs and that will be good enough for me.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We try to play just about every other top team, and so does Tennessee

At the risk of stating the obvious, not true. UConn will play anyone, not "just about" anyone. Tennessee ducks UConn.

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
At the risk of stating the obvious, not true. UConn will play anyone, not "just about" anyone. Tennessee ducks UConn.

As does NC, now Duke, and other teams who cannot stand the pain of losing to the Huskies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
As does NC, now Duke, and other teams who cannot stand the pain of losing to the Huskies.
I believe Sylvia Hatchell at North Carolina wanted to continue the series and that it was Geno that wanted a change. He substituted the SEC's South Carolina for North Carolina.

mr006

Reaction Score

At this point, *neither* side (UConn included) wants to play the other, so "just about" applies to us too. But my point being, feelings aside, Tenn should be an option in the future, even if the rivalry does not do anything for fans or Geno any more. They are still a top 10 team, and if other top teams are indeed dodging us, we can use all the good opponents we can get.

Last edited:

mr006

Reaction Score
Right - like all the conspiracy theorists have posited for so long... only to have it not happen...:rolleyes:

Conspiracy theories? I would think that the *NCAA* keeping them *out* of our bracket is more likely :).

Reaction Score
Espn not so instant classic replay scheduled?
It baffles me that ESPN would hype a single basketball game like this and then NOT MAKE IT AVAILABLE to view at all, anywhere! Maybe someone can correct me and point me to it - I can't find a replay or even video to purchase.

Reaction Score
It baffles me that ESPN would hype a single basketball game like this and then NOT MAKE IT AVAILABLE to view at all, anywhere! Maybe someone can correct me and point me to it - I can't find a replay or even video to purchase.
Here you go (courtesy of Wally East in a recent thread on same subject):

Reaction Score
Here you go (courtesy of Wally East in a recent thread on same subject):

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr