Voepel on Husky-LadyVol Rivalry | The Boneyard

Voepel on Husky-LadyVol Rivalry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
...and its positive effect on WBB (Friday is 20th anniversary of first game in 1995)

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-b...ies-tennessee-lady-volunteers-grew-phenomenon

upload_2015-1-15_14-24-15.png

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Good read.

The first UConn-Tennessee showdown also was not the birth of "Huskymania" in the state of Connecticut. That train steadily had been picking up steam in the decade since coach Geno Auriemma took over the program in 1985. That included the boosts from the Huskies' 1991 Women's Final Four appearance and from the first three seasons of Rebecca Lobo's storied career.

Um no. Connecticut has loved it's basketball teams forever, but the Geno era marked the statewide embrace of the women's program with a passion that is largely unmatched elsewhere.

--------------
"We were hurried off the air; they went to 'The Sports Reporters,'" Griffin recalled, chuckling. "But nobody left Gampel, because everybody understood the magnitude of what happened. It's a shame we didn't have that: 8,000 people just hanging out because nobody wanted to go home. Well ... nobody except the Lady Vols...

We've heard Chris Daley talk about this as well. A great moment for Connecticut basketball.

--------------
However, that first UConn-Tennessee game 20 years ago was a touchstone in not just women's basketball, but women's collegiate sports. Because it showed that with the combination of high-caliber play, big personalities and national television attention, a women's college rivalry really could become a sports phenomenon.

The rise of UConn's woman's basketball brought woman's sports, especially basketball, out of the shadows. That's why I always chuckle when people suggest it is bad for the sport.

Reaction Score
Yes a watershed moment in UConn sports history..... and for WCBB in general...... we must always remember this..... I imagine this will be the subject of a sports documentary someday.... called "The day that changed xxxxxx (WCBB)" much like the day of the Colts - Giants OT football game in 58 changed the popularity of pro football, the Magic - Bird rivalry changed the face of pro hoops, the Gretzky LA Kings trade in 88 changed the trajectory of the NHL, and the Sosa - McGwire home run race in (98?) goosed forth the resurgence of baseball......

I also think of this game and remember how integral Pat and Geno were to the establishment of WCBB as a sport of importance, and a mainstream attraction.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Interesting that this story in discussion when Geno and Kerith had this very discussion of the rivalry on the Geno Show last night.

Reaction Score
Just wondering .. if the ESPN honchos gave the word to Mechelle to try and amp up their campaign to revive the series ?
Interesting (and devious) thought. Quite possible!

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I would like for the series too start back up. I don't think it will probably happen. Until both teams have new head coaches.

Reaction Score
I would like for the series too start back up. I don't think it
will probably happen. Until both teams have new head coaches.

Even with new coaches, I do not think so..... cause everyone knows the history.....

Reaction Score
Count me among those who would love to see the series start again, if for no other reason than the fact that it is the most historic of big-time rivalries for UConn. Then again, part of it also is because UConn probably would win big and part is frustration that it seems the NCAA tournament schedulers have bent over backward to ensure that the two would be unlikely to meet. Am hoping that changes this year.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The first UConn-Tennessee showdown also was not the birth of "Huskymania" in the state of Connecticut. That train steadily had been picking up steam in the decade since coach Geno Auriemma took over the program in 1985. That included the boosts from the Huskies' 1991 Women's Final Four appearance...

Not quite true. The birth of "Huskymania" in the state of Connecticut was the men's Dream Season of 89-90. It carried over to the next year when they were one of the last at-large teams to get a bid. They promptly crushed Shaq's LSU team on their way to the Sweet Sixteen. The Connecticut fanbase was disappointed when they lost to Duke, but wait a minute, the women are in the Final Four! All that momentum was channeled to the women's team. And like the men's team, the women's squad was a tough group of team first underdogs going up against a perennial power. They never quit and they got jobbed to boot. The fans got behind the team in a big way from that point on.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Count me among those who would love to see the series start again, if for no other reason than the fact that it is the most historic of big-time rivalries for UConn. Then again, part of it also is because UConn probably would win big and part is frustration that it seems the NCAA tournament schedulers have bent over backward to ensure that the two would be unlikely to meet. Am hoping that changes this year.
Count me out. I'd be happy if they never played again. Ever.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
In a recent interview, though it was lost behind more colorful remarks, Geno correctly observed (best paraphrase I can muster): What rivalry. That's gone. We've moved on. Stanford and UConn is a rivalry. I'd say UConn and ND is the best rivalry in women's basketball.

Reaction Score
Not quite true. The birth of "Huskymania" in the state of Connecticut was the men's Dream Season of 89-90. It carried over to the next year when they were one of the last at-large teams to get a bid. They promptly crushed Shaq's LSU team on their way to the Sweet Sixteen. The Connecticut fanbase was disappointed when they lost to Duke, but wait a minute, the women are in the Final Four! All that momentum was channeled to the women's team. And like the men's team, the women's squad was a tough group of team first underdogs going up against a perennial power. They never quit and they got jobbed to boot. The fans got behind the team in a big way from that point on.

Great memory. Was at a conference and the keynote speaker was then Uconn President Harry Hartley opened his remarks by stating how the women were creating quite a buzz in the tournament after the men were defeated. Sure got a sense in that moment that the assembly hall was, as you stated, "channeled" towards the women. Nice post ... brought back memories!

Reaction Score
I don't see why this series is so important, and apparently neither does Geno.

I'd say the sport itself was in the doldrums as part of the larger culture, barely an afterthought. UConn-Tennessee ended that era, with finality. That's what makes it important, as a historical turning point,
having nothing to do with the current relationship between the teams.

Reaction Score
Yeah Geno's comments were right on..... nowadays, the UConn - Notre Dame rivalry is the best in the game and has been for the past few years..... I think Notre Dame's emergence as a force in the game, their recent relative success vs us, and Muffet's ability to coach all are factors in this to varying degrees.....

In my opinion, it does not have the excitement and flair that UConn - Tennessee had in its heyday..... but that was then and this is now...... as Geno said.... "that ship has sailed"..... to have that series resumed would be good for nostalgia, great for ESPN, and probably indifferent to both teams....

Reaction Score
In my opinion, it does not have the excitement and flair that UConn - Tennessee had in its heyday..... but that was then and this is now. as Geno said.... "that ship has sailed"..... to have that series resumed would be good for nostalgia, great for ESPN, and probably indifferent to both teams....
Imagine for a minute that the series was never cancelled and UConn played Tenn every year. UConn probably would have won every game over the past 6 or so years. Who would be calling for a continuation of the series?

Always wish for something that isn't, even if what it isn't, isn't what it's trying to be.

Reaction Score
Yeah Geno's comments were right on..... nowadays, the UConn - Notre Dame rivalry is the best in the game and has been for the past few years..... I think Notre Dame's emergence as a force in the game, their recent relative success vs us, and Muffet's ability to coach all are factors in this to varying degrees.....

In my opinion, it does not have the excitement and flair that UConn - Tennessee had in its heyday..... but that was then and this is now. as Geno said.... "that ship has sailed"..... to have that series resumed would be good for nostalgia, great for ESPN, and probably indifferent to both teams....
UConn-Tennessee was exciting because women's basketball was still somewhat of a novelty 15 years ago when that rivalry was in its heyday. Even if the two teams played today, sure it might be a big deal the first time, but thereafter I think it becomes just like any other game against a P5 conference foe. The main thing I remember about the series is the Vols winning the last few match ups, so yeah I don't get the big deal.

JS

Reaction Score
Imagine for a minute that the series was never cancelled and UConn played Tenn every year. UConn probably would have won every game over the past 6 or so years.
Yeah, that's what annoys me just a tad whenever I read "TN won the last three" without acknowledgement of how it stayed that way.

They won during a rare UConn "down" period (not down by most standards, but for UConn) then got out of town one step ahead of the sheriff -- the era, continuing today, when UConn went off on monumental winning sprees.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Agree to disagree, (but mostly agree.) This state has loved UConn basketball forever. Now if you want to say that term "Huskymania" was first used during the Dream season, you may well be correct, but the fervor of Connecticut Husky fans goes well before that. I'd say that the Dream season and difficultly of getting men's basketball tickets helped grow the woman's base but it really exploded during the Loba/Rizzotti years. Regardless of how it was formed, it is one of the most passionate fan bases for woman's basketball in the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom