2024 Recruiting: - Vlad Goldin | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: Vlad Goldin

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
The only negative number that jumps out to me is a very low assist total.
Watching him live at Barclay’s two weeks ago, his feel on offense jumped out to me. I think he’d be great running a lot of the sets we’ve used this year at the top of the key or the nail.

Flip side is he was not at all impressive defensively. Slow rotations and awareness, and minimal rim protection.

I’d rather have Cliff.

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
We already have Nowell and I think Samson will backup the 4 + 5 next season. Need a shooting wing off the bench though.
Karaban 6’8
Stewart 6’7
Abraham 6’7
Ross 6’7
Johnson 6’10

Could all play minutes at the 4 next season.

Need a bigger combo guard who can handle, shoot, and hopefully defend and rebound well + a center.

Reaction Score
Karaban 6’8
Stewart 6’7
Abraham 6’7
Ross 6’7
Johnson 6’10

Need a bigger combo guard who can handle, shoot, and hopefully defend and rebound well + a center.
Ross is a wing, id be surprised if Abraham cracks the rotation next year, and I dont think samson has played a single second at the 4 this year, but we’re set with Karaban and Stew regardless.

Otherwise I agree we need a starting G and C from the portal

Reaction Score
Would be a crazy pull to get him away from Dusty at Michigan. They seem confident.
I thought the Yale center was tied to Michigan? From Illinois and has 2 years of eligibility left.

Reaction Score
Seems reasonable that this level of success will mean UConn will be 'connected' to many more players than before...so it will be tougher to really know when there is strong mutual interest.

Reaction Score
I think there a few players listing us contacting and we have not. Makes there list look better.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I thought the Yale center was tied to Michigan? From Illinois and has 2 years of eligibility left.
There’s a chance they may get both. Insiders haven’t said anything definitive on Vlad yet for Michigan. Indiana insiders think he’s heading that way though.

Reaction Score
Karaban 6’8
Stewart 6’7
Abraham 6’7
Ross 6’7
Johnson 6’10

Let’s assume we get Vlad and a shooter off the bench. Here’s what that would look like:

PG: Diarra/Nowell
SG: Ball/SG transfer
SF: Stewart/Ross
PF: Karaban/Abraham
C: Goldin/Johnson

If we get a quality shooter from the portal or a guy like McNeely, this team has top 10 potential.

Reaction Score
Let’s assume we get Vlad and a shooter off the bench. Here’s what that would look like:

PG: Diarra/Nowell
SG: Ball/SG transfer
SF: Stewart/Ross
PF: Karaban/Abraham
C: Goldin/Johnson

If we get a quality shooter from the portal or a guy like McNeely, this team has top 10 potential.

I would imagine it's 1 PG/SG off the bench and 1 SF/PF. We have an 8-man rotation under Hurley.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
He's a foreign player, so NIL won't be a factor in his decision.
He can't get paid in the U.S. because he can't be compensated for work on his F-1 student visa. He can still receive NIL income outside the U.S. These foreign players are going to start getting O visas.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
No surprise there. Following his coach. That was the word I heard when he first portaled. It's the easiest path to higher level basketball to play for a coach he has the relationship with.
It’ll be super impressive for Dusty to pull in both him and Wolf which seem likely.

Reaction Score
Absolutely obnoxious to be talking with that sort of certainty about Ball's future. Besides the whole moratorium on discussing current players leaving, saying he doesn't reach our "dynasty status" standards is such a wild, UConn-twitteresque take after one year of the kid in the program. Did Castle and Stewart have much better years? Sure. But Solo showed much, much more than Ross this year, including plugging in for Castle when he was out and playing well enough (13 v UNC at the garden, etc), that it's really sort of nuts you would single him out like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Absolutely obnoxious to be talking with that sort of certainty about Ball's future. Besides the whole moratorium on discussing current players leaving, saying he doesn't reach our "dynasty status" standards is such a wild, UConn-twitteresque take after one year of the kid in the program. Did Castle and Stewart have much better years? Sure. But Solo showed much, much more than Ross this year, including plugging in for Castle when he was out and playing well enough (13 v UNC at the garden, etc), that it's really sort of nuts you would single him out like that.
This. I’m not a fan of penciling Ball in as a starter but he showed plenty to think that he could take a leap and have a big role as a bench scorer at a minimum next year.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Samson is not going to come off the bench next year
I certainly hope he is the back up next year at the 5
That is his niche on the team

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads