Villanova Ranked 4th in FCS Preseason Poll | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Villanova Ranked 4th in FCS Preseason Poll

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I wouldn't at all be surprised to see Villanova as favorites. They have a much more established offense than we do and honestly, we've been a dumpster fire for awhile now.

That being said, if Diaco can win convincingly, it will restore some small shred of hope for the future of the program. If.

I agree with Pudge's analysis of FBS s FCS level players and if it were just a skills competition the outcome wouldn't be in doubt. I am really concerned about overall coaching though. And whether this gets treated like a game or a scrimmage.

I doubt we'll be underdogs. It rarely happens. And rightly so. What is scary though is we've fallen so far that it is a toss up type game. This program has totally fallen of a cliff since Edsall left. We need an Edsall type coach again I think and I'm hoping we have one. But so far I'm not seeing it.

I fully expect to be underdogs. Figure Villanova -2

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 63

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Take the points at home...two point conversion doesn't hurt.

Reaction Score
Based on what they have accomplished and what we have accomplished it's natural for many to favor Villanova. We have yet to prove we can sustain a drive with consistent run game pass game and some type of change of pace where we actually catch the defense unprepared for what we are running. More than just about any other change, we need to be able to sustain offensive drives, keep possession and score some points every time we have the ball. We need to give our defense more rest and better field position to work with. We need some plays/formations that will get us the feet/yds needed on the goal-line or for a third down to sustain the drive. I believe that a competent dual threat QB would help us immensely to bring these things along, even if not all the pieces are top level. I hope Bryant Shireffs is that QB to give us that competent QB play. Much of the ugliness we witnessed the past few years would have been ameliorated by competent QB play. Obviously, we still would have had many problems, but a few more scores, sustained drives and better field position in many of those games would have really changed our outlook and results. I'm also hoping that Balis's strength and conditioning program has really made a serious difference in the strength of players at each position. Although this years schedule makes it difficult to really improve the win/loss totals, the first step is putting competent/competitive play on the field in all aspects of the game so you actually have a chance to win and you can battle good opponents for four quarters and pull it out in the end. If your play is good your fans can be engaged and will stick around to see what happens. If you can't complete a pass or sustain a drive and you will be punting after a brief three and out every time, most fans won't stick around for four quarters of that. (I will only because I feel terrible for the players when everyone bails out.) So let's see what the coaching staff comes up with. I'm cautiously optimistic but having been burned so many times before it's hard to really believe it will improve dramatically. Hope I am shocked by how good we are!!

Reaction Score
We should destroy them and we must destroy them. No more Towsons and Stonybrook debacles and near debacles. We have take crush them early and dominate with fierce intensity and execution. Goal must be score on opening drive and end quarter up 14-0. Thereafter, we continue to punish them with unrelenting effort every single play. No opening drive fumbles. No missed assignments.

Reaction Score
It's a new season and a chance for UConn to create some fan excitement. Villanova is as close to a FBS program in the FCS this side of North Dakota State.

They return the FCS Walter Payton Award winner in QB John Robertson. Robertson threw 35 Tds to 3 ints. while rushing for 1000+ yards. They have graduated several offensive players including 2 all-CAA linemen. 4 were in NFL camps and a OT was signed by the Packers out of OTAs.

Defensively they return 8-9 starters including Connecticut native & FCS All-American MLB Don Cherry. They were decent last season on defense, but not dominating. They play a 3-3-5 and rely on quickness over big powerful linemen.

They had Syracuse in the noose & missed a chippy FG in regulation that would have gave the 'Cats a win last season. They lost in double OT 27-26 failing on a 2 point conversion. They were beating BC at half in 2013 before losing 24-14.

Nova is a top 5 FCS preseason pick. They won't be intimidated by the FBS surroundings.

That said. UCONN SHOULD WIN, but it won't be easy.

Reaction Score
We should destroy them and we must destroy them. No more Towsons and Stonybrook debacles and near debacles. We have take crush them early and dominate with fierce intensity and execution. Goal must be score on opening drive and end quarter up 14-0. Thereafter, we continue to punish them with unrelenting effort every single play. No opening drive fumbles. No missed assignments.
Survival is insufficient.

Reaction Score
No doubt for where we are that Villanova is going to be a problem. Put a dual threat competent QB against us and we have a hard time keeping up. It seems like forever that we had the ability at that spot to make people sit up and take notice. There is a scene in the movie "A Bridge to Far" that has Robert Redford leading an Army unit across a river in rubber boats to take the bank on the other side of I believe the second bridge that was on the way to Arnhem. As they are paddling Redford is speaking out loud "Hail Mary, full of grace". This is that kind of season for us. Winning the first one would be a huge accomplishment but if we don't we can't give in. We need to get better as the season goes on, bring back the toughness UConn had, the belief in each other the team used to show. We are at home. Someone has to make a play. No getting down, no letup. All out! I'm glad the season is almost here.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Sure people can keep saying UConn should and will do one thing or the other. The market where people evaluate these things seriously say that UConn is a dog at home to Villanova.

Now that could be wrong and UConn might blow them out... but it's right more than it's wrong.

Reaction Score
September 3rd will be a big test. They are lead by Quarterback, John Robertson, Walter Payton Award Winner and Don Cherry Buch Buchanan runner up.
A win would be a good win because although FCS, Nova finished 7th in the counrty last year. They lost their opener to Syracuse at the Carrer Dome 27-26 and lost to Richmond 10-9 in Richmond. Hopefully Coach Wayne Lineburg who coached at Richmond from 2010-2013 can get some good info and film from his contacts at Richmond. Villanova lost one more game 34-31 to Sam Houston State in the Div. 1 football Championship. So they were 5 points away from being undeafeated last year. A win will be significant. A loss will not shock anyone. Bottom line - UCONN has to win this game.
If it's a big test we're screwed.

Reaction Score
Palatine said:

I don't think so. We could play very well and lose because whoever plays QB for us makes some mistakes because they haven't played live ball in a long time. I will only be concerned if we end up physically outmatched.

Reaction Score
With the doom & gloom shone here, one would think that 0-12 is UConn's fate. I'm not in that camp. This team will show vast improvement over last season. While I disagreed the the "it's a exhibition game" methodology of the non-conference games last season, I'm hoping that it will bear fruit as many lower class (frosh, sophs.) got valuable game day experience. Add in the off season in the conditioning program & this team is much stronger across the board. Let the naysayers blow their smoke screens. I think that Labor Day weekend will end with UConn having a W in the won-loss column. It starts now.

Reaction Score
I don't think so. We could play very well and lose because whoever plays QB for us makes some mistakes because they haven't played live ball in a long time. I will only be concerned if we end up physically outmatched.
I don't think that they'll be physically out matched. These kids have worked too hard in the off season. They want to prove something & defense of the RENT is paramount in their minds.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The recruiting pitch is "make us a winner again". I'm sure that the same message has been handed down to current players. The team is now in year 2 of Coach Balis' S&C program and ready to go. The pressure is definitely on; we need to start the year 2-0. I'm not dismissing Nova or Army (both would have beaten or did beat us last year). But for the sake of UConn football, we need to win our first 2 games. That's the best possible way to get on the bowl eligibility track...or, at the very least, give the perception to the fans that we are on the bowl eligibility track so they might buy a ticket to a future home game. 4-5 wins is the absolute floor expectation this year given last year's "practice season".

Reaction Score
We should be better at almost every position. If we're not, we're screwed.

If we lose, it will likely be because of another crappy game plan by Diaco.

Reaction Score
We should be better at almost every position. If we're not, we're screwed.

If we lose, it will likely be because of another crappy game plan by Diaco.
Still chafing over ball on the Army 4 yard line & over a minute to go & Chandler throwing that pick 6 to seal it for the Cadets. Throw the damned ball into the Army Student Section & live for another play. These kind of brain farts have to stop.

Reaction Score

I agree will not be good but I do think we can recover. Check out BC-Nova opener in 2013. Nova used a trick play to score early and lead BC at the half. Nova ended up losing 24-14.

Reaction Score
It ought to be a big test only in the sense that it proves things are moving in the right direction. If the game itself is not a comfortable win it will strongly suggest that we are not on the right track. We didn't hire Diaco to lose to FCS teams. Let's be real. The winning percentage for 1a teams since 1978 is 85%•.
And that includes 1a transition years like 2000 in the 1a losses as well as a bunch of Ivy League losses between 1978 and 1982 when they were reclassified. If you don't count that stuff, only true 1a-1aa games it is closer to 90%. Pretending it doesn't matter if we lose to Villanova is just as much a denial of reality as those who said hoops wouldn't be hurt by being in the American.

Reaction Score
Can we be honest?

Villanova is a tough test.

I'd judge a solid well-coached Villanova to be more dangerous than the FBS versions of UMass & Buffalo we've faced. Way more competitive than Maine or URI or Lehigh or Texas Southern or Murray State.

Winnable games? I hate this term. But, yes, we should beat Villanova because we have better higher rated athletes - doesn't mean we will. A good FCS team well prepared will tough for Diaco.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Who is saying losing to Villanova doesn't matter?

You can obsess on the 'C' in their division but they were better than at least 4 teams on UConn's schedule last season and that's being nice to Tulane.

Reaction Score
Graham Stewart and Obi Melifonwu need to play disciplined and their qb needs to get hit...a lot.

Reaction Score
High face palm index (FPI) of 12 for this game. But we will somehow win, maybe on a homer call by the refs or a missed extra point by Nova.

Reaction Score
Last year the bar was clearly set very very low for Diaco. But if it is still so low that losing to Villanova is in any way not considered unacceptable then I have to question where this program is going. 1AA teams just don't win these games. Even against weak 1A opponents. Pretending Villanova is some miniature Ohio State is just absurd. Yes they have a few guys who played at 1A schools but most were bench players or they would still be at bigger places. They have fewer scholarship players and generally speaking they're guys are smaller slower less athletic. Losing this would be a huge setback. It really would and if Diaco and Warde don't treat it that way, the local fans absolutely will.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Last year the bar was clearly set very very low for Diaco. But if it is still so low that losing to Villanova is in any way not considered unacceptable then I have to question where this program is going. 1AA teams just don't win these games. Even against weak 1A opponents. Pretending Villanova is some miniature Ohio State is just absurd. Yes they have a few guys who played at 1A schools but most were bench players or they would still be at bigger places. They have fewer scholarship players and generally speaking they're guys are smaller slower less athletic. Losing this would be a huge setback. It really would and if Diaco and Warde don't treat it that way, the local fans absolutely will.

Yup. I just don't understand how everyone can be all up in arms over last year's record and in-game coaching and, now, make up reasons for why we could/should lose to Villanova. If we can't beat Villanova and Army to start the year 2-0, then we're likely looking at another 2-3 win season. We need to start turning this thing around NOW. Doubling last year's 2 win total should be the floor expectation, given last year's "practice season". Anything less is another lost season for a program, school, state/fanbase that can ill afford any more lost seasons.

Reaction Score
Palatine said:
We should be better at almost every position. If we're not, we're screwed. If we lose, it will likely be because of another crappy game plan by Diaco.

We probably won't be better at QB. Which might make the difference.

Reaction Score
Dooley said:
Yup. I just don't understand how everyone can be all up in arms over last year's record and in-game coaching and, now, make up reasons for why we could/should lose to Villanova. If we can't beat Villanova and Army to start the year 2-0, then we're likely looking at another 2-3 win season. We need to start turning this thing around NOW. Doubling last year's 2 win total should be the floor expectation, given last year's "practice season". Anything less is another lost season for a program, school, state/fanbase that can ill afford any more lost seasons.

You are right. Ohio State should have cancelled the rest of their season after an early loss and losing their QB. Can't get better during a season. Lose to Villanova and lets burn down the Rent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom