Villanova Ranked 4th in FCS Preseason Poll | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Villanova Ranked 4th in FCS Preseason Poll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You are right. Ohio State should have cancelled the rest of their season after an early loss and losing their QB. Can't get better during a season. Lose to Villanova and lets burn down the Rent.

The tolerance for losing and comfort with excuses is amazing. But, that is what defines a losing program. We fear a 1AA program with inferior athletes. Should we do anything but beat the living snot out of Villanova, it is a loss in my mind.

Reaction Score
Some of us deal with games as they are. 2 teams on a schedule.

Whether you want to piss on Villanova, I'm not phased. On our first game day, UConn is going to have to play well to beat a FCS top team. And Army as well. It's as simple as that.

I expect better QB play. I expect better OLine play. And a really good defense. But ... There's a lot of things that have to come together.

Reaction Score
Nova is going to be a tough game. They played Syracuse last year and lost 27-26 in 2OT. Their senior QB is the returning FCS player of the year after throwing for 2,629 yds, 34 TDs, and 3 INTs and rushing for 978 yes and 9 TDs.

By the way, according to the Sagarins, Nova would have been a 15 point favorite last year over UConn at the Rent. Their Sagarin rating last year was higher than 7 P5 teams. Nova is not a crappy FCS team.

Beating Nova will be extremely positive for UConn, but a loss is not the end of the world. Clearly, 2016 is set up to be a better season for UConn and it is possible that 2015 is a 2 to 3 win season given the schedule.

Reaction Score
You are right. Ohio State should have cancelled the rest of their season after an early loss and losing their QB. Can't get better during a season. Lose to Villanova and lets burn down the Rent.
If we lose to Villanova you can burn down the Rent. The can play the rest of the home schedule at East Hartford High field for all the fans they will draw. If we are. It improved at Quarterback this year it can't be blamed on Pasqualoni or a late start in recruiting either.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
freescooter said:
Last year the bar was clearly set very very low for Diaco. But if it is still so low that losing to Villanova is in any way not considered unacceptable then I have to question where this program is going. 1AA teams just don't win these games. Even against weak 1A opponents. Pretending Villanova is some miniature Ohio State is just absurd. Yes they have a few guys who played at 1A schools but most were bench players or they would still be at bigger places. They have fewer scholarship players and generally speaking they're guys are smaller slower less athletic. Losing this would be a huge setback. It really would and if Diaco and Warde don't treat it that way, the local fans absolutely will.

Drop the mic.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Real question: why doesn't the AAC offer a spot to Villanova in FBS football under the condition that Villanova also joins in basketball? Any team that can hang with Syracuse and BC would do fine in the AAC and it would add another top-tier basketball program. With UConn, SMU, Cincinnati, Memphis and Villanova we've suddenly got a pretty competitive basketball conference.

Reaction Score
I really think some are just in denial as to how bad this team was when Pasqualoni was finally showed the door.

The last 2 years UConn wouldn't have sniffed the FCS top 25. The teams were truly bad.

Reaction Score
Real question: why doesn't the AAC offer a spot to Villanova in FBS football under the condition that Villanova also joins in basketball? Any team that can hang with Syracuse and BC would do fine in the AAC and it would add another top-tier basketball program. With UConn, SMU, Cincinnati, Memphis and Villanova we've suddenly got a pretty competitive basketball conference.

We've been to this dance before in the Big East. Nova wouldn't commit to the upgrade to join a BCS conference and now they'd do it for the AAC?

Reaction Score
The tolerance for losing and comfort with excuses is amazing. But, that is what defines a losing program. We fear a 1AA program with inferior athletes. Should we do anything but beat the living snot out of Villanova, it is a loss in my mind.

FS - No real UCONN fan tolerates losing. UCONN should NEVER lose to an FCS opponent but since we have been ranked one of the worst FBS programs and Villanova is one of the best FCS programs then it's reasonable to assume the Nova game should be close, especially in light of the 1 point lose to Cuse in last years opener. I am hoping we beat Nova by 4 touchdowns! When folks start to tolerate losing, we should fold up the tent! I do believe UCONN under Diaco is poised to turn the corner in 2015.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I agree that the only true fans of the program are those who want to tear down the Rent and march upon Storrs with torches and pitchforks as those in charge won’t realize that the fan base wants to see a winning program unless we do something of that magnitude. Someone willing to accept a three or four win season in 2015 is in no way shape or form as good of a fan as someone who draws the line five or six wins as the minimally acceptable total. I’ve decided that I am going to be an even better fan than nearly everyone here. I will draw the line at ten wins and view anything less as a disaster.

That aside, as unexciting as it was to most posters, I am still very happy with hiring Verducci, entirely due to his red zone efficiency (something like 95%) at his last gig. In order to accomplish that there had to be very few, if any turnovers in critical spots and a minimal number of incidents where the offense shot themselves in the foot due to someone missing a snap count, blocking assignment or running the wrong pass route. With no other improvements, if we can improve on ball possession and maintaining assignments we will take a very large step forward as a program. I am very confident that our current coaching staff will be able to develop our players to the point where turnovers and blown assignments are very few and far between. What I am not sure of is whether a team comprised of 19, 20, 21 year olds can grasp all that is necessary within one offseason. That said I believe that looking at Labor Day weekend as a drop dead date for the program is a bit aggressive. I would love to see an error free offense against Villanova and I believe that if we can play an error free game we will win easily. I do however realize the size of the question marks on our offensive line and at QB. The error free games we are looking for may not arrive immediately. That is no reason to throw in the towel on the program or the coaching staff.

Reaction Score
Diaco talks about winning breakfast. Some of don't much care if the team trips over bagels. We want to win football games.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I agree that the only true fans of the program are those who want to tear down the Rent and march upon Storrs with torches and pitchforks as those in charge won’t realize that the fan base wants to see a winning program unless we do something of that magnitude. Someone willing to accept a three or four win season in 2015 is in no way shape or form as good of a fan as someone who draws the line five or six wins as the minimally acceptable total. I’ve decided that I am going to be an even better fan than nearly everyone here. I will draw the line at ten wins and view anything less as a disaster.

That aside, as unexciting as it was to most posters, I am still very happy with hiring Verducci, entirely due to his red zone efficiency (something like 95%) at his last gig. In order to accomplish that there had to be very few, if any turnovers in critical spots and a minimal number of incidents where the offense shot themselves in the foot due to someone missing a snap count, blocking assignment or running the wrong pass route. With no other improvements, if we can improve on ball possession and maintaining assignments we will take a very large step forward as a program. I am very confident that our current coaching staff will be able to develop our players to the point where turnovers and blown assignments are very few and far between. What I am not sure of is whether a team comprised of 19, 20, 21 year olds can grasp all that is necessary within one offseason. That said I believe that looking at Labor Day weekend as a drop dead date for the program is a bit aggressive. I would love to see an error free offense against Villanova and I believe that if we can play an error free game we will win easily. I do however realize the size of the question marks on our offensive line and at QB. The error free games we are looking for may not arrive immediately. That is no reason to throw in the towel on the program or the coaching staff.

To me the concept of 'acceptable' is pointless. They are going to win whatever amount of games they are going to win - regardless of what anyone thinks is appropriate.

I've certainly criticized Diaco - but it all can be fixed/improved. Pasqualoni and GDL were DOA day 1 - there wasn't even any reason to pretend they might improve.

I don't want to lose to Villanova and I'd prefer UConn not go 3-9 - but there is a decent chance either or both of those things are going to happen. I'm sorry but no one's expectations change that.

I'd like to play error free on offense as well - but I'd don't want to be so scared to make mistakes that they are overly conservative. Guys fumble, interceptions get thrown, quarterbacks get sacked - we can't bury talented guys that make mistakes and you can't go into a shell scared of what might happen if you don't.

And I 100% agree - a loss to Villanova does not mean the staff is cooked or the season is over.

Generally people now respect the job Edsall did... his team didn't show anything until halfway through his 4th year.

Reaction Score

The idea has merit but

1. Villanova would be taking a pay cut to join the AAC (at present)
2. That aside its questionable how many fans Temple and Villanova
would draw in Philly
I like the idea if it could work financially.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="freescooter, post: 1372518, member: 1023" Losing this would be a huge setback. It really would and if Diaco and Warde don't treat it that way, the local fans absolutely will.[/QUOTE]

What, exactly, should Warde do? Fire Diaco if we lose? I understand that some people don't like WM and like to criticize him whether he deserves it or not. But this attitude that some posters have about WM that he seemingly doesn't care about winning is mind-numbingly stupid.

Reaction Score
The idea has merit but

1. Villanova would be taking a pay cut to join the AAC (at present)
2. That aside its questionable how many fans Temple and Villanova
would draw in Philly
I like the idea if it could work financially.

Villanova was moving into the Big East football conference in 2011 when it imploded. The biggest drawback is the economic feasibility of the FBS requiring a larger stadium than they currently play in. Temple has 1st dibs on the Linc & MLS soccer has it at the stadium in nearby Chester.

Villanova draws about 5k fans a game in the FCS & it would take a large leap of faith to see that number increase dramatically. Coach Talley runs the program like it's in the FBS & they attract better than average FCS talent because of how the program is run & the academics.

The board of trustees don't see the FBS as a viable option unfortunately especially with the big $$$ heading to the P5 & away from conferences like the AAC and the requirement of a larger stadium.

The Big East hoops have a pretty good TV contract with Fox also.​

Last edited:
Reaction Score
BlueDogs said:

That isn't my point. The narrative is that if we go 0-1 we might as well give up and disband the team. That's your point of view? Then it. You might as well leave now. Because there is a good likelihood that we lose this game.

I'd feel differently if it was game 5. But it is the opener and I have no idea what we are going to see.

Bottom line I believe we could lose to Villanova and still end up having a successful season. That isn't crazy.

I want 6 wins. Anything less will be a disappointment to me. But I don't give a which 6. That's not tolerance. That's common sense.

Reaction Score
freescooter said:
If we lose to Villanova you can burn down the Rent. The can play the rest of the home schedule at East Hartford High field for all the fans they will draw. If we are. It improved at Quarterback this year it can't be blamed on Pasqualoni or a late start in recruiting either.

The average fan who doesn't piss away his time on the boneyard will see Villanova as a contender for a national championship more than they will see an FCS team that should cry in fear on the sidelines.

We could go 12-0 and nobody would come if they didn't allow tailgating or didn't sell beer in the stadium. You way overestimate the football savvy of the normal attendees.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
That isn't my point. The narrative is that if we go 0-1 we might as well give up and disband the team. That's your point of view? Then it. You might as well leave now. Because there is a good likelihood that we lose this game.

I'd feel differently if it was game 5. But it is the opener and I have no idea what we are going to see.

Bottom line I believe we could lose to Villanova and still end up having a successful season. That isn't crazy.

I want 6 wins. Anything less will be a disappointment to me. But I don't give a which 6. That's not tolerance. That's common sense.

Curious: if we lose to Nova, where are those 6 wins coming from?

Nobody is saying burn down the Rent if we lose to Villanova. I'm saying that if we lose to Nova, getting those 6 wins (or at the very least, giving the fanbase the belief that we can get there) becomes MUCH more difficult. Sure, the team can improve throughout the season. But if we lose to Nova and Army, improving against Missouri, Navy, BYU and UCF will be next to impossible. We're looking at 0-6 in that scenario. I'm saying we need to start 2-0 because those next 4 games are absolute confidence shredders.

Reaction Score
The average fan who doesn't piss away his time on the boneyard will see Villanova as a contender for a national championship more than they will see an FCS team that should cry in fear on the sidelines.

We could go 12-0 and nobody would come if they didn't allow tailgating or didn't sell beer in the stadium. You way overestimate the football savvy of the normal attendees.
Nobody will see Villanova as a "national championship contender". No BODY. Most people don't even know there is a national championship at lower levels.

Reaction Score
Dooley said:
Curious: if we lose to Nova, where are those 6 wins coming from? Nobody is saying burn down the Rent if we lose to Villanova. I'm saying that if we lose to Nova, getting those 6 wins (or at the very least, giving the fanbase the belief that we can get there) becomes MUCH more difficult. Sure, the team can improve throughout the season. But if we lose to Nova and Army, improving against Missouri, Navy, BYU and UCF will be next to impossible. We're looking at 0-6 in that scenario. I'm saying we need to start 2-0 because those next 4 games are absolute confidence shredders.

Didn't we get blanked at LV 26-0 before our run to the Fiesta Bowl? We were 3-4 with no hope.

Btw freescooter did suggest burning the rent down. He thinks 0-1 = 0-12.

I predict we do lose to Villanova. I also predict it isn't the end of the world.

Reaction Score
freescooter said:
Nobody will see Villanova as a "national championship contender". No BODY. Most people don't even know there is a national championship at lower levels.

If they are that stupid they will probably think that Villanova is an FBS team because we played them in D1 hoops in the Big East.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Didn't we get blanked at LV 26-0 before our run to the Fiesta Bowl? We were 3-4 with no hope.

Btw freescooter did suggest burning the rent down. He thinks 0-1 = 0-12.

I predict we do lose to Villanova. I also predict it isn't the end of the world.

Of course, but different team/different season. That team had a capable (albeit not great) QB, a NFL caliber RB, a very good OL, two NFL corners and were coming off what most viewed as a "successful" 7-win season the year before . This team still has question marks in all areas, except maybe RB, and haven't had a winning season in forever. Is it possible to improve? Absolutely. But I don't like the odds for improvement if we start 0-2, against two weaker opponents on our schedule, with a 4 game murderer's row on its heels.

I didn't see freescooter's comment but I certainly am not a "burn the Rent" guy. I think I've posted enough here that everyone knows that by now. I want what we all want: football to improve. I just think it's much tougher to get improvement from a fragile squad, filled with underclassmen, if we start the year 0-2 (really 0-6), and the Rent is a ghost town while we're making weekly appearances on every sports publication's Worst 10 list. Need confidence in that locker room pronto. Beating Nova is doable and if they're as good as everyone is making them out to be, then that should really boost the confidence meter. Carry it into Army, win that, and maybe just maybe we knock off 1 of those 4 murderers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom