Villanova Postgame Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Villanova Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No, that’s not it at all. The FT disparity was significantly in UConn’s favor.

My only issue with the refs is that sometimes they called fouls close and sometimes they let the two teams play. So there was an issue with consistency.

But as for fairness, UConn came out on top of the foul situation, and if you don’t think so, watch the game again, and see who’s complaining more vociferously: Geno or Denise Dillon.
Didn’t see who was complaining, but the foul discrepancy should have been even greater with even more fouls called on Nova. Yea, agree the reffing was inconsistent, and oftenunexplainable.

Reaction Score
I've watched the replay and that "held ball" call at 47 seconds still seems bizarre to me. Someone suggested there was a foul called on Griffin for some reason in that sequence. But Griffin wasn't in the game! She came in after the play was stopped and Villanova was given possession. Is it possible, maybe that she came in and quickly held someone before the ball was inbounded, and TV just missed it? My hunch is that the refs just panicked and made several calls on that play that made no sense at all.

Reaction Score
The fourth foul call on Muhl was one of the worst I've ever seen. She was run over by Olsen (?) and plowed right into Siegrist, and got called for a foul instead of an offensive foul on Olsen. That's the same kind of play Fudd got hurt on, against Notre Dame.

Not to mention three different Connecticut players got hit in the face without a single foul being called.

Having said that, Connecticut played an outstanding defensive game, and a good game overall except for the absurd number of turnovers.
Couldn’t agree more. A horrendous, even insulting call. My guess is Fox refused to show Geno being restrained by Jamelle.

Reaction Score
The over/ under in Vegas for this game was 132 total points. They were off by 21 points! The oddsmakers are seldom off by this mjuch. I guess the "experts" expected a more explosive game instead of neither team breaking 60.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Didn’t see who was complaining, but the foul discrepancy should have been even greater with even more fouls called on Nova. Yea, agree the reffing was inconsistent, and oftenunexplainable.
As a fan of one team, it’s difficult to watch a physical game impartially. There was a play in the 4th qtr when Maddy Siegrist was sent sprawling on the floor after getting tangled up with several Huskies. No foul was called and UConn came away with the ball.

Siegrist couldn’t believe the no-call, and Denise Dillon was beside herself on the bench. The inconsistency of the refs was experienced by both teams, and, imo, if anyone benefited, it was UConn.

Reaction Score
I've watched the replay and that "held ball" call at 47 seconds still seems bizarre to me. Someone suggested there was a foul called on Griffin for some reason in that sequence. But Griffin wasn't in the game! She came in after the play was stopped and Villanova was given possession. Is it possible, maybe that she came in and quickly held someone before the ball was inbounded, and TV just missed it? My hunch is that the refs just panicked and made several calls on that play that made no sense at all.
Griffin was in the game when the "held ball" occurred. She was chasing down the ball after it squirted out of the scrum. Since there was no replay, I'm guessing they called her for pushing a Nova player while diving for the ball. But the whistle had already blown for a held ball. VERY confusing & shame on the Fox announcers for a lack of clarification.

Reaction Score
Another grinding W. With all parts of the body being hit or hitting the floor, it's a miracle no one was/is "starts with an i ends with a d". I don't understand Aubrey, some games she's looking for her offense, others she's invisible. There were times when she's to the left or right of the key and the lane is wide open, no weakside help. I'm very sure she's faster than her defender...Do what Dorka does, fake the pass or shot and DRIVE it.

Turnovers...it's what's going to do them in against an equal or better opponent. These are lost possessions. Per Belichick, "winning favors the team that makes the fewest mistakes". They just had a < 10 TO game! So, it can be done. Play smart...please.

Reaction Score
As a fan of one team, it’s difficult to watch a physical game impartially. There was a play in the 4th qtr when Maddy Siegrist was sent sprawling on the floor after getting tangled up with several Huskies. No foul was called and UConn came away with the ball.

Siegrist couldn’t believe the no-call, and Denise Dillon was beside herself on the bench. The inconsistency of the refs was experienced by both teams, and, imo, if anyone benefited, it was UConn.
IDK, but for me, I'd rather not have an uppercut to the chin (AE), karate chop to the face (CD), or two opponents looking to chop-block me (NM).

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
For all of you that didn't like the squawk boxes announcing the game, I believe these two will be doing the DePaul game.
I will again take this opportunity to remind folks that there is the radio call on the Varsity network.
I stream the radio call (Bob Joyce and Debbie Baer Fiske) Bob, as a radio play by play spends his time watching the game and reporting it. It's "Radio" after all. No time for pre-canned stories and side stuff. Debbie keeps her color comments relatively short and pertinent to the action. No long protracted analysis (again they can't, the game is marching onward.)

No stories, no distractions, just basketball. Only downside I can see is that being courtside they sometimes can't see the action as well as the TV view and make some bad calls of the action, but that is minimal.

Here's the catch. You need a DVR so you can delay the video to sync with the audio. I usually get it close by stopping the video at the tipoff and starting it again when Bob calls the tip on the audio. Once you are synced up, it's all gravy.

All I can say is I love it and I don't scream at the coverage team anymore. Frankly at this point, if I can't get Bob and Debbie, I'd probably turn the sound off.

Reaction Score

Agree with you on the Siegrist no call, although she really should have been fouled out of the game by then, in my opinion. Agree totally oncthe inconsistency of the reffing. Refs miss calls in every game, but they missed some obvious foodies in this one. Have to disagree on who “ benefitted” more. Really no one benefits from such inconsistency. Seemed clear to me though that the reffing overall favored Nova by a mile. I did not have the benefit of seeing it on tv though. So no replays for me.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Griffin was in the game when the "held ball" occurred. She was chasing down the ball after it squirted out of the scrum. Since there was no replay, I'm guessing they called her for pushing a Nova player while diving for the ball. But the whistle had already blown for a held ball. VERY confusing & shame on the Fox announcers for a lack of clarification.
That explanation doesn't hold. I believe the player that went to the line was one of the two Villanova players that was scrumming for the ball with Nika.

Reaction Score
I think the ref issue has been more or less resolved: they were terrible, and they failed to call many fouls on Villanova. I’m done with this question.

What I’m thinking now is that Villanova was exposed in this game. Siegrist should probably have fouled out at the beginning of the 4th, but got a pass on at least two obvious fouls. Even with this gift from the refs, they still weren’t really competitive with UConn.

In their previous meeting, they appeared to be competitive, but now in hindsight it seems clear that Dalce should have fouled out in that game too. Aaliyah struggled scoring then, but watch the replay and you’ll see how much Dalce got away with then. Aaliyah was getting hammered in the paint over and over again.

Siegrist is a legit superstar, and Olsen is a very good player. But beyond them, this is not a top rank team. The previous game masked the discrepancy between them and UConn because of the poor reffing. But now it should be clear.

Reaction Score
I will again take this opportunity to remind folks that there is the radio call on the Varsity network.
I stream the radio call (Bob Joyce and Debbie Baer Fiske) Bob, as a radio play by play spends his time watching the game and reporting it. It's "Radio" after all. No time for pre-canned stories and side stuff. Debbie keeps her color comments relatively short and pertinent to the action. No long protracted analysis (again they can't, the game is marching onward.)

No stories, no distractions, just basketball. Only downside I can see is that being courtside they sometimes can't see the action as well as the TV view and make some bad calls of the action, but that is minimal.

Here's the catch. You need a DVR so you can delay the video to sync with the audio. I usually get it close by stopping the video at the tipoff and starting it again when Bob calls the tip on the audio. Once you are synced up, it's all gravy.

All I can say is I love it and I don't scream at the coverage team anymore. Frankly at this point, if I can't get Bob and Debbie, I'd probably turn the sound off.
I do this for all the games when I watch the replay.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score

That explanation doesn't hold. I believe the player that went to the line was one of the two Villanova players that was scrumming for the ball with Nika.
O.K. I figured it out by watching the replay. Jump ball called (Horrible call). On the ensuing inbounds play (which the TV did not show) Apparently Aubrey committed a foul on #3 so she went to the line. And, since no time went off the clock they rejected Geno's subbing in Edwards and sent her back to the bench.

The big confusion was that we did not see the foul committed before the inbound because TV was doing a replay.

Reaction Score
I DVR'edthe game & just replayed the confusing play. The erroneous held ball call was upheld & the arrow pointed to Nova. Aubrey came in the game & fouled Olsen while denying the inbounds pass.
We never saw the foul because Fox was replaying the held ball call. In their defense, both announcers criticized the call because Nika was fouled hard & there was never dual possession.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
It's not just her o-for from the field that had me shaking my head, but as the so called "team leader" she sure did play/act selfishly today. She needs to be better with her play and her mentality for the team to go far in the tournament
The Huskies beat the #14 ranked team on the road with 6 players. I can’t believe this is the only conclusion you drew from the game

JBK

Reaction Score
Few Thoughts:
*Great win for UConn which practically assured them the regular season championship! Villanova is a good team and winning against them on the road with that sell out hostile croud was great.
The refs in WBB sxck...all those ticky tack fouls they called and all the hard fouls they didn't call was hard to understand.
*Why is CD head such a magnet to be hit??? poor kid! there must be a for her to play with some kind of a soft helmet...
*Lou: what an amazing player! so cool under pressure
*AE: was waiting for the Edwards the AA to show up during the last few games. Still was not it but she was fighting hard, guarding Maddy S. and did a real good job on her (remember that Maddy had 50 and 39 points her last 2 games).
*Nika: our mad Husky :) you don't want to mess with Nika but when she complained very verbally (using some choice words), the refs were quick to give her a third foul...
*Those turnovers are just crazy...they make some brain fart mistakes that cost them in having way less opportunities to shoot.
*The strong defense is really keeping UConn in games.
*Azzi, we need you!!!

Well said.
We are missing 20 critical points that we will need in the tourney. Lou had a great game and Dorka and AE had double doubles and we still only had 60 points. We do need Azzi back now to get us to 80 points plus

Reaction Score
The Huskies beat the #14 ranked team on the road with 6 players. I can’t believe this is the only conclusion you drew from the game
In the chat room, there was actually a complaint because the UCONN players weren't smiling after the final buzzer. The conclusion was that they are depressed & totally frustrated.
I guess there should be a new box score stat for facial expressions & levels of euphoria!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom