Villanova Postgame Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Villanova Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Is that like saying "the score is 1-1, we're winning?"
No, that’s not it at all. The FT disparity was significantly in UConn’s favor.

My only issue with the refs is that sometimes they called fouls close and sometimes they let the two teams play. So there was an issue with consistency.

But as for fairness, UConn came out on top of the foul situation, and if you don’t think so, watch the game again, and see who’s complaining more vociferously: Geno or Denise Dillon.

Reaction Score
Great win. D was great. Nika showed poise after the 3rd foul.

Aubrey looks way off on both O and D and Nika with 0 points and 7 TOs, not her best effort.

What is the deal with all those tie ups when we were getting mauled?

We really need Azzi
Aubrey in very limited games like ND and this one struggled. I worry it's imposter syndrome which I want her to squash because she's a baller. I hope she is feeling healthy and on Tuesday plays her game like we all have witnessed she can do at a high level.

Reaction Score

Aubrey looks way off on both O and D and Nika with 0 points and 7 TOs, not her best effort.

We really need Azzi
Aubrey, WAY OFF? Come, let us see that game again! My apology for being snarky--but Aubrey in my opinion was AUBREY--and I'm amazed at the transformation from a almost bench sitter to a 3rd Star on this team. She is the Steady Eddie of Uconn Women's BB. She's the Utility player that does it all. She doesn't glow RED one day then no light at all, she gives the team what it needs when it needs that.
I love Fudd, Caroline, LOU, the number 1 picks--love em. But when the shooting gets wild I want 3 or 4 Aubery's on the court playing for me (and Uconn).

Reaction Score
Well, people were complaining that there was too much holding without any call, now we got a game where everything was called. It’s the other edge of the sword
In general, agree, but rewatched game and there were several non-calls that included Edwards taking a punch to the face and Caroline getting hit on both arms that were not called. Several other calls, such as where Nika pushed by Olsen into Siegrist, yet Nika getting called for the foul that were unexplainable. Refs seemed to rotate between not calling anything and calling everything.

Reaction Score
Lately, UCONN has played teams who played 4 sometimes 5 guards/forwards. People need to give AE and Dorka more credit for chasing these players all over the court and for extended periods. It involves a lot of energy. Having said that...AE's energy seems to be back.

Reaction Score
Of course UCONN had more free throws. They were purposefully fouled in the last few minutes as all teams do when trying to mount a comeback. And even if one asserts errant fouls were called on both sides, some of the blatant non-calls were ridiculous. Still not sure how LOU picked up her 3rd as there was no apparent contact. And the two free throws on a jump ball near the end of the game? If the two announcers weren't so busy spouting whatever, there might have been some explanation although, quite frankly, it would have been difficult to explain. I never complain about refs, but this game warranted it big time. Saying things evened out or were called unfairly on both sides is not even an argument here. I actually thought Siegrist had fouled out at some point. I told my wife she was getting the star treatment and I maintain that was the case. Lou on the other hand.....the rookie treatment.

Reaction Score
A few misc. thoughts:
-While Edwards still is experiencing issues with the double team, this was her best game since South Carolina. Made points at critical times, was relentless on the boards, and perhaps most importantly, played great defense on Siegrist.
-They say you can tell a fluent language speaker by their ability to know "colloquial sayings." For those that read Nika's lips, she is a true fluent speaker. Amazed refs didn't tee her up several times during the game.
-Aubrey wasn't bad but she wasn't Aubrey. Never drove to the basket and several Wildcats blew by her throughout the game. Rarely saw that in the past.
-Whenever Nina or other guard stand in place and pass to a Huskie also standing in place, I hold my breath. The turnovers this lack of movement creates is not a hard concept to understand. Hopefully this can be corrected by the playoffs.
Another gritty, clutch win with Lou's knee/ankle appearing solid, Caroline scoring clutch points at critical times, and Dorka adding value throughout the game.

Reaction Score
1. Where is the Tony Romo or Tim McCarver of NCAAW TV announcing? At the end of the game there was very little good explanation of what was going on. The coverage of the Caroline Collision missed a lot.
2. Camera work?
3. Just asking...

Reaction Score
We do need AZZI, but I have about 5% confidence we will get her back full on healthy. Maybe we won't see her at all. I have long felt that surgery is lurking, but she ( and UCONN ) just cannot face it. And Caroline needs some easy games to get back right.
Hope you need for surgery is wrong but UConn has been very quiet about the nature of her injury.

Reaction Score

We really need Azzi
It was puzzling to see Aubrey a half step late on Villanova drives to the hoop. Agree on Nika getting back to "the present." And... apparently if you foul and it becomes even close to a tie-up, then it's not a foul...

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Villanova game:
  • This was a dog fight of a game between two really good teams who were fighting over the same bone. Everyone should know, don't ever try to take a bone from a Husky...;)
  • It’s been 10 years since UConn had a conference matchup this BIG. While it isn’t quite ND-UConn, the game today between UConn and Villanova is the biggest WBB game yet in the NBE, with a national audience, NCAA tournament implications as well as conference tournament seedings in play.
  • UConn’s win today over a very good Villanova team answers a lot of questions for the Huskies, and it certainly helps UConn’s seeding for the Big Dance. In addition, today’s victory practically assures UConn the top seed in the BE tournament, as the Huskies need only 1 win in their final 3 games to lock up the top seed, something that’s really important with the prospect of playing 3 games in 3 days with a very limited bench.
  • Today, the refs got a little whistle happy on both sides, which clearly put added pressure on UConn’s limited rotation. Despite a bunch of fouls on everyone, the Huskies somehow managed the game effectively with a 6 players rotation.
  • If you watch Villanova on offense, frequently, after they put up a shot, all 5 players sprint back on defense. Clearly the goal was to force UConn to try to score in the half-court offense as opposed to allowing UConn to get out in transition. It wasn't always pretty, but somehow the Huskies managed to put enough points on the board to come out on top.
  • I guess that holding Siegrist under 30 points constitutes a moral victory of sorts. Aaliyah really worked her tail off battling the likely BE POY throughout the game, while holding her to only 22 points on 8/22 shooting.
  • I kept waiting for a Husky to step up and win the game today. Today UConn got just enough from everyone, along with a HUGE SHOT & SOME FT's BY LOU to pull out a really hard-earned victory.
  • Stat of the Game - UConn was +22 on the boards!!!
  • UConn has faced some large, hostile crowds on the road this season such as ND, MD & TN. In addition, the Huskies have had some tough conference battles over the last few weeks. I have to believe those games helped the Huskies deal with the pressure of today’s game on the road against an outstanding Villanova team.
I picked novatowin this game. I'm so happy, no thrilled, to win this game. Thank you ladies, you're the best!!!!

Reaction Score
No, that’s not it at all. The FT disparity was significantly in UConn’s favor.

My only issue with the refs is that sometimes they called fouls close and sometimes they let the two teams play. So there was an issue with consistency.

But as for fairness, UConn came out on top of the foul situation, and if you don’t think so, watch the game again, and see who’s complaining more vociferously: Geno or Denise Dillon.
I would simply add that I always think the referees can't get any worse, and they do.

Reaction Score
A few misc. thoughts:
-While Edwards still is experiencing issues with the double team, this was her best game since South Carolina. Made points at critical times, was relentless on the boards, and perhaps most importantly, played great defense on Siegrist.
-They say you can tell a fluent language speaker by their ability to know "colloquial sayings." For those that read Nika's lips, she is a true fluent speaker. Amazed refs didn't tee her up several times during the game.
-Aubrey wasn't bad but she wasn't Aubrey. Never drove to the basket and several Wildcats blew by her throughout the game. Rarely saw that in the past.
-Whenever Nina or other guard stand in place and pass to a Husky also standing in place, I hold my breath. The turnovers this lack of movement creates is not a hard concept to understand. Hopefully this can be corrected by the playoffs.
Another gritty, clutch win with Lou's knee/ankle appearing solid, Caroline scoring clutch points at critical times, and Dorka adding value throughout the game.
My wife lost hearing in her right ear in college, went decades without. So she got good at lip reading. And even for me it isn't that hard.

Reaction Score
Folks, there is a lot of complaining on the BY about the refs. While I will acknowledge some inconsistency by the refs, the fouls more than evened out in UConn’s favor. Nova was whistled for 7 more fouls than UConn (23-16). The Huskies shot 14 more FT’s than the Wildcats (26-12), scoring 11 more pts from the FT line (17-6).

Considering that UConn won by 9 pts, I would not at all be surprised if Villanova fans were complaining right now about how the refs handed the game to UConn.

Reaction Score
Well my girl Nika had a very tough game today- shot 0 fer from the floor, had 7 turnovers and basically had the snot beaten out of her. Also after her second foul she lost her composure & mouthed off to the referee who promptly called her for a third as soon as possible.

On the other hand after that she calmed down and stayed in the game picking up just one more foul & ending with 8 assists.

I think having to play so many minutes finally caught up to her although I know she'd rather die than admit it.

Advice to Nika- next time the ref calls a stupid foul on you, borrow a trick from Sue Bird & pull your jersey over your mouth while you cuss him/her out!
It's not just her o-for from the field that had me shaking my head, but as the so called "team leader" she sure did play/act selfishly today. She needs to be better with her play and her mentality for the team to go far in the tournament

Reaction Score
When I coached I had a “Nika” on my team. Loved the kid but she drove me crazy at times.
A coach's dilemma, for sure!
How many "Nikas" do you think Geno has coached furing his UCONN tenure?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
It's not just her o-for from the field that had me shaking my head, but as the so called "team leader" she sure did play/act selfishly today. She needs to be better with her play and her mentality for the team to go far in the tournament
Needs to be better. When was the last time she acted like that?

Reaction Score
Well, people were complaining that there was too much holding without any call, now we got a game where everything was called. It’s the other edge of the sword
Everything was called, except for fouls committed by Siegrest. It looked as though the officials were protecting her.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
OldDude should be the only thread starter on the BY.
Best win of the year.
AE gets hit in the mouth, no call.
Caroline gets wacked in the head, no call.
But the worst call, Nika gets tackled, not only no call, but the ball comes loose and they call a jump ball.
I agree, but I think we need to edit it to "only post game thread"... :)
I have never been disappointed with his game analysis so quickly after the clock is at 00:00. Just my two cents.

Reaction Score
My kids treated me and took me to the game today. Just got home from a nice dinner in Ardmore. It was an exciting game. Sold out stadium. Nova fans were really fun and enthusiastic. Not keeping track of stats, I had several observations:
1. The team flow was so much better when Caroline was on the floor. Seemed to open up the offense for UConn. We need her out there. She took quite a wallop and I was very worried. No foul call. And so obvious.
2. The officiating was extremely inconsistent and very much favored Nova. It seemed obvious they should have had at least 3x the amount of fouls than UConn, if not more, not counting the intentional ones at the end of the game. Several of the Nova fans around me couldn’t believe they got away with no calls on some real obvious ones, including at least two resulting in walks being called after what should have been fouls.
3. Maddy Siegrist is really good. We played excellent team defense on her, but I thought we were lucky some of her shots missed. Ones she usually makes. She should have fouled out but wasn’t called for some obvious fouls.
4. Dorka was a warrior. Solid on D and O. Love her.
5. AE has to see when she is double and triple teamed and kick the ball out, not force a shot. Dorka, Lou and Caroline know how to draw the foul, AE did not and had too many lost opportunities for assists rather than forced shots. That being said, her rebounding and D were outstanding.
6. Lou has become my co-favorite player on the team, along with Nika. Smooth and reliable in the clutch. Love yelling “Lou” many times.
7. Geno got frustrated a few times with Nika risky passes. One time banging the table with his fist when one was thrown out of bounds, ending one of the very few fast breaks. But he knew she had to be in there all game (but I think the last 8 seconds of the 1st 1/2). She is a warrior and team leader.
8. Very physical game again. Lots of bangin in the post. Our players are in such great shape. Hope they can hold up.
9. At least twice, Jump balls were called in less than a second, both times awarding the ball to Nova. Isn’t there something like a 3 second rule? Or is that just for eating something that fell in the ground.

Reaction Score
You were shaking your head about a player taking 2 shots and missing both? Muhl lost her cool, no doubt, but pretty much it was the first time all year. She didn’t “play” nor “act” selfishly, she lost her cool, kind of like Auriemma getting T’d against Marquette, it sometimes happens to very intense competitors. Virtually any player getting 3 fouls midway through the 2nd qtr sits but Muhl stayed on the court without another one for 2 and 1/2 qtrs except for the ridiculous call where she was pushed by a Nova player into Siegrist. She played the whole game, had 8 credited assists but really had 9. She deserves very legitimate criticism for some the 7 TOs, but selfish, not at all.

Reaction Score
Have to disagree. She didn’t score, but clearly led the team and tried to get everyone involved, this while the student crowd was rauces and loud, yelling ‘air ball” every time the ball was in her hands. She is the most important player on the floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom