Villanova Post Game Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Villanova Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
Nova gained depth with Longino coming into his own and we lost depth with no Hawkins. Really hope we get Hawk back for the dance.
Hope Dixon wasn’t a biological weapon against us with his stomach bug.

Reaction Score
That call made no sense. It was totally opposite of how the game had been called.
You can’t box out a player if you’re facing the basket. It was the correct call.

Reaction Score
This is true, but there are going to be times when you have to shoot it out a bit, especially against upper tier teams. If we had one more creator, or one more shooter, someone who could open things up a bit, we would be there. I really believe it. We're just a little shy on firepower.
Yes. But nova sank everything which goes against the core of our team. Aren’t we like 4th our something in fg and 3pt defense %?

Reaction Score
The charge call on RJ just before the half was bull and was worst call all night. First, RJ got the shot off before contact, so it should have counted regardless of the call. But it was a bad call, the Nova guy was moving when RJ was airborne, we were robbed of the basket and free throw.

Reaction Score
Tonight, both Whaley and Sanogo were pretty good defensively.

But Whaley put up a 0 on the scoreboard. And Sanogo shot 30%.

We need them both if we are to get through the next week end.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Well, no point worrying about other teams losing. We should be a 5 seed regardless of what happens elsewhere.

We just have to hope we draw a mid-major conference champ and not a play-in winner who will be getting hot at the right time.
Why not? We'll beat them we have a long time to rest. I love what I saw in NYC aside from Sanogo's shot.

Reaction Score
Can we talk about the AJ alley-oop at the end of the game…absolute killer demonstrating no situational awareness. Coming off a needed turnover where we really needed to convert he was playing like it was First Night.
That’s what you get from a guy who would rather make the highlight play than the right play. It was a killer.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
While you can’t expect to make them all, we missed five free throws (four by Sanogo) which really hurt us. Missing the front end of a one and one late in the game was even worse.

That plus the horrible charge call at the end of the first half could easily have been the difference. Of course, that isn’t how it works but it makes me feel better to say.

Reaction Score
also, sanogo had 15 and 13 -- even in his bad games, he is ridiculously productive.
There’s always somebody on the board that says he had 15 points and 13 rebounds like that defines a good game. His 15 points were terribly inefficient. 6-15 from the floor (4 of the misses from 2 feet in) and 3-7 from the foul line including the front end of a one and one.
Face facts. He had a clunker of a game. He had a clunker against Seton Hall.

Reaction Score
Sanogo was clearly off and that was totally the difference tonight.

I will also add that Whaley and Jackson for as much energy as they bring on defense, they really are hard to watch on offense.

Jackson was invisible for most of the game today whereas he was everywhere and consistently attacking vs Seton Hall. Everyone is screaming for him to take it to the hoop and dunk it! He gets too cute sometimes.

Then Whaley just has no real post up game and takes wild shots. He is what he is at this point.

On to the NCAA’s. Hopefully Hawkins is healthy and came provide a valuable offensive spark off the bench. Not many teams that are built and coached like Nova. At our best, this team can beat anyone. Just need to stay aggressive and play disciplined.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sanogo just had a bad game. I’m not sure why our 5th year 2021 6th Man of the year who hits clutch 3s doesn’t play til the game is over
Polley should have been in the last 4 minutes. Down 5 we can’t play Sonogo and Whaley when we need to score. Really bad turnover by Whaley with a couple of minutes left.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Is Sanogo OK? He's never been a high flyer but he looked cemented to the floor tonite. Not himself. He tends to play a little soft but tonite was even worse. My first thought was he is either playing on tired or injured legs.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I noticed Whaley passing up open shots trying to get it to Sanogo. It's waaay too forced. Everyone knows what we are trying to do and it's to our detriment. Our offense needs a more natural flow where everyone gets involved. Shoving down Sanogo's throat ain't it and it affects the other guys.
Danny said it halftime that we were going to try to get it into Sanogo.

Reaction Score
It probably wouldn't have mattered and I haven't seen a replay so I could be wrong, but seemed like they could have called a foul with 8 seconds on the last Nova possession before the pass out to Gillespie to run more clock

Reaction Score
It probably wouldn't have mattered and I haven't seen a replay so I could be wrong, but seemed like they could have called a foul with 8 seconds on the last Nova possession before the pass out to Gillespie to run more clock

Indeed. They passed to Slater I think then tried to double but he made the pass to Gillespie to kill another 3-4 seconds.

Reaction Score
Danny said it halftime that we were going to try to get it into Sanogo.
That's fine... But if you have the open shot and Sanogo had 2 to 3 guys on him and you don't feel like you have the green light to shoot something is wrong. That's all I'm saying.

Reaction Score
We needed RJ in the 2nd half. Where was he?
Probably exhausted. Gaffney only played 3 minutes. Cole has been a workhorse but we knew the odds of him wearing down would increase with no capable backup.

Reaction Score
I get upset at Sanogo then realize he's a soph not going pro. Eases the sting. He kind of seems gassed. Love ya kid. He needs to realize who he is again. A beast.

If Cole doesn't come back, maybe Hurley has evil plans for Andre as PG? May not be a bad idea.

Kids played hard. Nova did too. Could have gone either way, we definitely had our chances.

On to the big dance. Proud to be a Husky.
What about Rasool Diggins? Does he still have a chance to be the point guard he was recruited and predicted to be?

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
I thought Cole played ok. He didn't try to force anything. But he was such a liability on defense in the man to man. We are playing an undersized guard and they are going to target him.
Wasn't he on Gillespie most of the time and how many points did he have?

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
The charge call on RJ just before the half was bull and was worst call all night. First, RJ got the shot off before contact, so it should have counted regardless of the call. But it was a bad call, the Nova guy was moving when RJ was airborne, we were robbed of the basket and free throw.
Although it was a Pi55 poor call, I believe that rule changed recently to be if there was a charge call on the shooter the basket doesn't count ever.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom