Villanova Post Game Thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Villanova Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
My simplistic view is Villanova is better than us in most facets of the game. If we played 10 times this year they probably win 6 maybe 7. Their back court is better, their 3-point shooters are better, they are more disciplined, and their coach is better. As in most sports, that doesn’t mean they win every time we play, but the loss to us required a tie up which on the road might have been a foul on Cole ( watch the video. Cole is around his neck) and the luck that we had the arrow. No skill their, pure serendipity. (Go back to the jump ball, please. It ain’t that hard and games shouldn’t come down in effect to who won the opening tip.) Great win, and the play to Polley was textbook. Last night their discipline and our lack of same was the difference.

Reaction Score
Big fan of AJ and his impressive improvement. But yeah that ill advised alley oop pass….ugh. Not sure why he doesn’t just attack the hoop with that ferocity. I think he felt bad about it. Still love the guy. His decision making skills will catch up with his athleticism. I hope. When it does, look out. Knowing how he improved himself this year, we should have high hopes for next.
I se a trend of the thinking here that I agree with. That being that we should have a better team or a more experienced team next year. When I was a little kid and the Brooklyn Dodgers were still in Brooklyn the saying by Dodgers fans every September was “ wait till next year”. Then they moved to LA LA LAND.

Reaction Score
Wasn't he on Gillespie most of the time and how many points did he have?
But he had 10 assists because we needed someone to come on the double team to help Cole constantly.

Reaction Score
There is also no chance cole is coming back despite your season long claims otherwise.

But I agree that gaff probably shouldn’t be our starting PG, but there are scenarios where he may actually be just that, depending on portal activity .
Hurley CANNOT allow Gaff to be our starting guard next season. We need an Al Durham type transfer. If not, at that point you just do what Creighton did this season and run with the kids(meaning start Diggins)

Reaction Score
But he had 10 assists because we needed someone to come on the double team to help Cole constantly.
Right. And Gillespie has multiple skills. It wasn’t like they stopped him. He just did different things. It was a case of pick your poison with him. They doubled him to shut down his scoring and he went to pure point guard mode and found the open man. He had 10 assists and a couple of guys missed or he might have had 12-13.

Reaction Score
a lot of people are quoting my post as if i didn't outright say that sanogo had a bad game. i did!! obviously, he had a bad game. obviously, numbers alone don't define performance. i'm just remarking that the dude always puts up numbers. do you remember what it was like in the nolan-brimah-facey-onuorah-cobb-carlton era when our front court would disappear for long stretches of games??
What's that about Phil Nolan?

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
There is also no chance cole is coming back despite your season long claims otherwise.

But I agree that gaff probably shouldn’t be our starting PG, but there are scenarios where he may actually be just that, depending on portal activity .
Source?? Losing only Polley and Whalley to my knowledge. I think we need (no, desperately need) both Cole and Martin because we don't have anything near to being replacements for them. They're sure as heck is no one in the wings pushing them out. The lack of playing time for the underclassmen and the rest of the bench will ensure that we will be utterly unprepared for next year if they move on.
Everything has been gambled on this season. If they come back it will be great in the short run. I'll take Karaban and Clingan to replace Polley and Whalley if we have the rest of the crew. But in the short and long run it would seem to hurt our recruiting because DH limits substitutes.

Reaction Score
Gillespie is very easy to hate. He’s good, but he’s smug and annoying and gets all the calls.
You left out his great decision making under duress pretty much beat us destroying great defensive stands turning stops into points.
We haven’t seen anything simalar since Bazz ‘s senior year.
Cole a great kid but really a combo guard
We saw Khalid as confident our opponents saw that as smug.
I suspect the difference between confidence and smugness is the name on the shirt .

Reaction Score
You left out his great decision making under duress pretty much beat us destroying great defensive stands turning stops into points.
We haven’t seen anything simalar since Bazz ‘s senior year.
Cole a great kid but really a combo guard
We saw Khalid as confident our opponents saw that as smug.
I suspect the difference between confidence and smugness is the name on the shirt .

Smug is not a word I’d use to describe El Amin.

Reaction Score
Hurley CANNOT allow Gaff to be our starting guard next season. We need an Al Durham type transfer. If not, at that point you just do what Creighton did this season and run with the kids(meaning start Diggins)
Good God. What evidence do you have that Diggins will be a better point guard next year than Gaffney? When the Martians had you on their spaceship did you see it in your head?

By the way, I don’t in any way rule out the possibility that Diggins will be our starting point next year. I just can’t imagine how anyone could be sure of it.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
There's no chance Gaffney is our starting point guard next year and it's weird you think the team would be better with Gaffney as the starting point guard.
I don’t see who else would be. I hope that when Gaffney is forced into that lead guard role he can play more like freshman year Gaffney or NCAA tournament Gaffney. He’s played pretty well recently. I think outside of Andre he’s the best passer on the team.

I think having a lineup of more skilled guys in general makes us better. Everyone in that lineup is better at getting their own shot and beating their guys off the dribble.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
It’ll be between him and Samson, I just put Akok in there because seniority.
I think he can be a really good player. Idk if him not playing is due to injuries or Hurley moving on. But we could’ve used him or developed Johnson through the season

Reaction Score
Right. And Gillespie has multiple skills. It wasn’t like they stopped him. He just did different things. It was a case of pick your poison with him. They doubled him to shut down his scoring and he went to pure point guard mode and found the open man. He had 10 assists and a couple of guys missed or he might have had 12-13.
The patience, fortitude and sense of control Gillespie had around the hoop was another difference maker

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I think he can be a really good player. Idk if him not playing is due to injuries or Hurley moving on. But we could’ve used him or developed Johnson through the season
Hurley seems to always cut his lineup to about 8 trusted guys. Maybe he didn’t make the cut? Idk. He has to get tougher on the boards. Johnson just didn’t look ready in the minutes he got. They’ll have a big summer ahead of them. They both can fit better next to Sanogo than Whaley. But neither will be better to spell Sanogo than Whaley.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom