Villanova Post Game Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Villanova Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
Thought missing Hawk hurt our depth and was one less shooter in the deck. Also playing only 6 guys in second half was dicey. Looked gassed. Gaff should have gotten a few minutes earlier in 2nd half to give a few guys a quick blow, especially Cole.

Reaction Score
Not mad, just frustrated…

Game was ours for the taking even with an overall “B”/“B-“ effort.

Play a B+ Game and we beat a legit F4 contender team and do it 2/3 times in the season.

I am thrilled at what that says about us as a program now.

Let’s get ready to dance!

Reaction Score
He was 100% fouled on that rebound.

That was the worst call of the night

To call a foul on UConn there was a travesty
Yeah he was and what makes it worse is they made that BS call on Polley under the basket on Nova’s missed shot.

Reaction Score
Thought missing Hawk hurt our depth and was one less shooter in the deck. Also playing only 6 guys in second half was dicey. Looked gassed. Gaff should have gotten a few minutes earlier in 2nd half to give a few guys a quick blow, especially Cole.
Nova gained depth with Longino coming into his own and we lost depth with no Hawkins. Really hope we get Hawk back for the dance.

Reaction Score
Just not enough shot making, period. They play hard, they play physical, they just aren't dynamic enough on the offensive end. Very difficult to win these games when you leave points off the board. Just get everyone ready to go for next week and see what the bracket looks like.
This has been the issue all year. It’s just a fact. Play hard, but just not enough offensive firepower.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Gillespie and Nova are just so hard to hate. Very frustrating team to play though they just don’t make mistakes.
Meh, they are easy to hate. I respect them though.

Reaction Score
Sanogo and Cole no-showed and we were a BS charge call from winning the game. Oh well on to the NCAAT.
Sanogo had 15 points and 13 rebounds, unbelievable how he’s attacked here. Yes he missed bunnies and the last rebound got away but jeez. How about Cole and Polley making more outside shots, fine. They defended Sanogo but he wasn’t a no show with those numbers.

Reaction Score
Midway through the 2nd half, Adama had 3 or so chances to just dunk the ball at point blank range. He needs to just yam it more often. This is most likely a big part of why he will be the next step closer to dominate next year, they will drill it into him, I'm sure.

Reaction Score
I thought Cole played ok. He didn't try to force anything. But he was such a liability on defense in the man to man. We are playing an undersized guard and they are going to target him.

Reaction Score
Sanogo just had a bad game. I’m not sure why our 5th year 2021 6th Man of the year who hits clutch 3s doesn’t play til the game is over
Utterly baffled by why Hurley didn’t put him in with 1+ min to go. The AJ shot was clutch but, as we’ve talked about ad nauseum, can’t mount an offensive comeback with only 3 players who present a legitimate offensive threat in the half court. Four isn’t great but serviceable.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I wasn't able to pay as close attention as I wanted, but I watched most of the game. I couldn't believe how many times I saw Sanogo missing not just layups, but like ... uncontested no question layups. Then he lost the rebound at the end too. He struggled mightily tonight.

Overall, our offense just doesn't have enough bucket getters. Martin is turning into a heckuva player, though.

Reaction Score
Moral victories suck, but at the end of the day, we're not near full health, they needed a bunch of little things from us to go their way, and they still only beat us by a bucket. The loss stings like hell right now, in the moment, but I remain hopeful of a run in the tournament, once we've rested up.

Reaction Score
Beat ourselves. Missed foul shots, point blank shots, silly passes. Unfortunate but Nova aint any slouch.

Reaction Score
Sanogo had 15 points and 13 rebounds, unbelievable how he’s attacked here. Yes he missed bunnies and the last rebound got away but jeez. How about Cole and Polley making more outside shots, fine. They defended Sanogo but he wasn’t a no show with those numbers.
yea the 15 and 13… on 15 shots. The rebounds are nice but missing 10 shots from 2 feet was absolutely the difference in the game. Also Cole 1-6 from 3 didn’t help. That being said they were still an awful call away from being tied at the end.

Reaction Score
At least we were in it till the end I can't be too mad.

Too much force feeding Sanogo and obviously he wasn't up for it today. Missed layups, no soft touch, he just didn't have it going. To compound that once again he was repeated exploited on switches. If you just get him out to the 3 point line and swing the ball around you'll get an open shot or open paint. They did it many times in the second half and we couldn't adjust.

A few calls go differently and a few shots go down and we win this game though.

I thought Jackson was great, especially passing and on defense. That one press with like 2 minutes left he was a one man full court press and turned the ball over. Love that energy and dispositiveness from him.

Reaction Score
Tough loss to swallow. There were so many missed opportunities to win the game.

We don't have the depth yet to beat a team like Nova when our best player has a subpar game. I am giving Nova credit though, they played stellar team defense all night. Sanogo was rushing everything because of their swarming D.

We couldn't exploit our size. Sanogo and Whaley shot 6/18. Sanogo is getting a lot of heat but Whaley didn't score and had four rebounds. He played good defense but if we're playing two traditional bigs to counter Nova we need more. Those two shot 6/23 last night. 12/41 in the tournament. Not ideal from your frontcourt.

Guards and wings played a typical game. Quiet night for Polley. Defense was good across the board. On to the Big Dance.

Reaction Score
Outside shots aren't always going to go down. You just have off nights sometimes from outside, nature of the game. Our offense heavily depends on Sanogo and he was missing point blank layups. There's no excuse for that, he's too good a player to be bricking layups.
He should be dunking the ball.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
His size and body type isn’t great for back to backs. He couldn’t get off the ground
Yeah he looked really gassed out there. Having an extra day off/game less isn’t the worst thing, and going toe to toe with a good nova team isn’t going to hurt our confidence.

It’s not like we lost by 30 or went toe to toe with Butler.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The 13 rebounds is very good but he took a tremendous amount of shots, all with 3 feet of the basket and missed 75% as he did vs Hall - that is not a good look or going to get UConn where they need to be. Both he a Cole were not good this tournament offensively and UConn needs their offense.

Reaction Score
Yeah he was and what makes it worse is they made that BS call on Polley under the basket on Nova’s missed shot.
That call made no sense. It was totally opposite of how the game had been called.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom