Verducci Demoted | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Verducci Demoted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is no knock on Corley, as maybe he is the next Bill Walsh from all I know.

But did we really just promote our director of player engagement to offensive coordinator? He goes from scheduling our bye week "team building activity" to calling all of our offensive plays?:confused:
Feeling better already.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Coach Diablo deserves zero credit for this move, however it turns out, good or bad. This move has Benedict's fingerprints all over it. Bobby was told to do something immediately for the sake of attempting to save whatever paltry fanbase is still left. The handwriting is now squarely on the wall. Bobby's gone after this season.

Reaction Score
Does it seem to some of you that you can pluck an OC off a tree on November 1?

Like our move to Weist a few years ago, Corley has slim chances to have this position on the first day of Spring practice. HOWEVER ... he does have the opportunity to show us what he's got. That is a slim % and lets hope we see great things.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Honestly, I don't need to analyze Shirreffs' stats to know he's not as effective as last year.

Two things:
Diaco mentioned that Shirreffs won the starting job based on his running ability and decision making. As can be easily observed (and backed up by your stats), Shirreffs is not running as well. We can also observe that he seems to make one read before tucking it away. There exists a strange juxtaposition where perhaps Shirreffs is making poor decisions about when to run...and not very well. either way the advantage over Anderson is negated.

Second: Perhaps Shirreffs' decision making abilities manifest themselves better in practice. Perhaps in 11 on 11 drills? Even if that is the case and Shirreffs is up against the 1st team defense, Diaco's defense doesn't bring much pressure. Shirreffs has more time than in a game. Perhaps Anderson's quick trigger is better suited for actual game pressure than Shirreffs trying to make something out of nothing.

Reaction Score
I think I have posted all of two times in the past year on this site but am a daily reader during football season. I could not hold back any longer after hearing today's news. Like many season ticket holders and fans, I have maintained a slow steady simmer this season during this steady decline. Someone please help me to understand after suffering through one of the worst and most embarrassing fbs games in the team's history this past Saturday, Diaco waited over three days to make this coaching change during a shortened week schedule. It's not Maine coming in Friday night-Ruhl and a very good Temple team await them leaving the new OC two and half days to plan and oversee practice. Absolutely ridiculous-Benedict should be ashamed of himself during his short tenure for allowing this season to regress the way it has. I will be there Friday but with zero expectations for anything but an embarrassing prime time loss.

Reaction Score
Very small. Its really hard to say what he will do but most of the time the coaches know better than us because they get to see the players everyday in practice. .

Yes and because Diaco has made so many good decisions.

Reaction Score
I think I have posted all of two times in the past year on this site but am a daily reader during football season. I could not hold back any longer after hearing today's news. Like many season ticket holders and fans, I have maintained a slow steady simmer this season during this steady decline. Someone please help me to understand after suffering through one of the worst and most embarrassing fbs games in the team's history this past Saturday, Diaco waited over three days to make this coaching change during a shortened week schedule. It's not Maine coming in Friday night-Ruhl and a very good Temple team await them leaving the new OC two and half days to plan and oversee practice. Absolutely ridiculous-Benedict should be ashamed of himself during his short tenure for allowing this season to regress the way it has. I will be there Friday but with zero expectations for anything but an embarrassing prime time loss.

I believe he made the change Sunday.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
At this point starting Garrett is pointless. He's a senior with no eligibility left. I wouldn't mind them giving Bissack reps though
Which QB gives us the best chance to win out? As far fetched as that is... that's who should start the rest of the way. If it's Garrett so be it.

Reaction Score
I was unimpressed with this promotion until I read this - Corley was a four year starter at QB at William and Mary. Okay, so that is something to work with - actual experience.

Corley was a four-year starter and multiple-time all-conference quarterback at W&M from 1999-2002 and finished his career as the Tribe's all-time leader in passing yards (9,805), total offense (10,948) and touchdown passes (73). He remains one of only two quarterbacks (the other being Stan Yagiello, 1981-85) to be a four-year starter during the Laycock era.

David Corley Resigns for Assistant Position at UConn

David Corley Named To Football Staff

I think there's something to this. Those nos. would indicate he has a feel for the modern game. We'll find out soon enough, though

Reaction Score
I'm late to the conversation, but you're telling me the RB coach has been promoted to the OC, while the OC that was brought in to run the offense is now in charge of TE's and T's? Should I be relieved or more worried?

Reaction Score
Maybe IDIACO is like get BS out of there, he sucks, and put in Williams and Verducci was defending it.

Reaction Score
Question for the horde: HCBD demoted Verducci and added OL Tackles to his current resposibilty of TE's ... and he reduced Mike Cummings role to interior O-linemen only ... but he elevated David Corley directly to OC? Why did he reduce Cummings's role?
This has probably been replied to, I'm late to the conversation, but the OL still hasn't been a strength. Anything to help. Think about this too. The TE performance has dropped off and Verducci is in charge. Hmm.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
"Status report?"

"We've hit an iceberg, Captain Diaco!"

"Hmmm. And how are the deck chairs?"

"We've rearranged them, sir."

"Excellent...excellent. Alert my valet that I will be wearing the cranberry pants to dinner."
Unfair, but funny.

Reaction Score
The Captain of the Titanic after hitting the iceberg: "do not worry, we have promoted the Sous-chef to Night Watchman."
Verducci never played QB, nor did he ever think like one. He was a plodder, both in his play calling and his demeanor. Corley was a very good college QB and played the position in the wide open CFL. He's a high energy thinker. I foresee an offense with more spring in our step and creativity at the snap. Friday should be interesting. My guess is that Benedict made it clear to BD that he needed to do something to show the fans and players that we aren't accepting the status quo. One more point. When an offense makes plays and shows it can sustain drives and/or score touchdowns from the red zone, it's funny how the defense plays with more energy and purpose. I'm actually excited to see what transpires vs Temple. It will be a very good test for a new OC. If he succeeds at least we won't be saying "yeah but just wait till we play someone good". This newer, fresher captain of our offensive Titanic has just spotted the freaking popsicle and is yelling damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
To be fair, BS has never been great but he hasn't been terrible. Look at what he has had to work with from an OL standpoint, three OCs and who knows what else. He isn't calling the plays, he isn't designing offensive schemes, he isn't picking up a blitz from the back field. Point is, this is not all on BS, kids got heart and has some skill, but this problem is bigger than this kid and to blame all the offensive woes on him is just wrong. The coaches coach, players do what coaches teach, he's digressed and I put that on the coaches who put him out there. Now having said that, let him play and see what he does with Corley. If it's different, you know it's been the coaching all along. Come on boys, play with pride and heart or take off the UCONN jersey and give it to the next "RUDY." Go Huskies

Reaction Score
Closed practice, Diaco publicly expressing his displeasure about QB play, BS struggling (in naimithian fashion) with what was his best asset(scrambling) -ok maybe his best asset is toughness, the need for at least the appearance of submission to change to bring about improvement, the need to make the fan base slightly more interested.......

I smell a QB change
For better or worse with the understanding it won't mean much ... but that is my gut

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
First Woodstockian, now Naimithian... the 'Yard lexicon ever-expanding and always entertaining. I would like to offer my services as 'Yard Lexicographer as it is apparent that one is needed.

And that's no bull .

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Gives us something to look forward to this Friday and hopefully it will lead to a three game winning streak and return to another bowl game.

Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
If the new OC is forced to play a new QB it's gonna be ugly on Friday. The only reason that should happen is the pounding BS has absorbed buys him a week off. Good time to get some feedback from your leaders on the offense and get them reinvested in their own success. Open the lines of communication and let some guys vent and try to be constructive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom