Vance getting hot | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Vance getting hot

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Mentally I think he has the most advanced offensive skillset of the freshman bunch, he simply lacks the elite athleticism of guys like AG and JD (pre-injury) have or else he would have been a top 20 recruit. Right now to me it looks like KO is grooming Vance to be a better version of the role Giffey played for us in '14, and thats a great thing.

Reaction Score
He's had a nice stroke from the get-go. It's a matter of shot selection. He's making better decisions.
It was just a matter of time with that stroke.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure, but early in the game I think I saw Durham indicate by tapping his head or something that he wanted out of the game. I was wondering if it was because of fatigue, because he wasn't in all that long. Sure enough I saw coach signal someone off the bench to come in. I hope he gets himself in shape because I do like his game, but man was that quick. I hope it was because he had some kind of equipment issue because if not.....he needs to get in shape fast!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think he has the highest ceiling of the three freshmen playing regularly. Glad to see him getting into a groove.

I'm still going with Durham having the highest ceiling. He really covers space efficiently on offense on defense. He really is the zone buster from the elbow or FT line. High release and confident in that shot. And he gets rebounds out of his zone.

I'm really excited for him next year and especially in 2018-2019.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure, but early in the game I think I saw Durham indicate by tapping his head or something that he wanted out of the game. I was wondering if it was because of fatigue, because he wasn't in all that long. Sure enough I saw coach signal someone off the bench to come in. I hope he gets himself in shape because I do like his game, but man was that quick. I hope it was because he had some kind of equipment issue because if not.....he needs to get in shape fast!
I missed that, but that's actually very interesting. Hopefully he's not feeling discomfort. He does move pretty tentatively, but he also clearly has great touch and his instincts are advanced too both scoring and as a shot blocker. He needs to get stronger and regain confidence/comfortability in his knee, but he's been productive in his limited time and has shown a ton of promise.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Sadly, I'm sure they absolutely do. And they'll forget the lesson that they're wrong again, and again, and again.
Loving the void in this forum for Rodney. Felt his game was fantastic on both ends today.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Depends on where Durham can get physically. Right now he looks like he's got no explosiveness whatsoever.
I thought he looked much quicker tonight both rebounding out of his area and cutting to the rim. Hopefully he stays healthy and gets stronger, but this Durham compared to the Durham of November and most of December looks like a different guy.

Reaction Score
Durham improving for sure but has a long way to go. Needs to really work but believe he has the tools. Next year.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
When his dad made those comments, the criticism was warranted. He's got a bright future here, he'll be a good 4 year player.

Criticism of WHO was warranted? Vance didn't make those tweets, his dad did. So if you're saying the criticism of Vance warranted for tweets his dad made, I couldn't disagree more.

Makes zero sense to me why we had people here bashing Vance at the time his dad made those tweets, and we STILL have people holding a grudge against a kid for something he didn't even do! People were calling for him to transfer after HIS DAD'S tweets, which is insane because we have 8 healthy scholarship players and Vance has a bright future here.

Vance appears very passionate about being a husky and we have no evidence HE was considering a move anywhere. In fact, his dad's comments probably got to him and put him in a really awkward spot with his teammates and KO. So for that, I feel for Vance, that's a tough situation to be in. Glad the kid has been able to bounce back and he looks like a really promising player for us.

Reaction Score
I tried this the last time and no one answered, but what did his Dad tweet?

Reaction Score
I tried this the last time and no one answered, but what did his Dad tweet?
He insinuated that Vance wasn't getting enough burn and that he would transfer after this year.

He also insinuated that he had a good talk with KO a couple days after then made his twitter private.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I quote stats and your response is 'Nope - wrong'? Lol... terrible post by a terrible poster. Par for the course from you.

The kid was a few games into his season as a FRESHMAN, inserted into a starting role due to injuries when he was best suited for a few minutes per game. Struggling in that situation is natural. And people here killed him for it and for comments that HIS DAD made, not him. That was undeserved.

Now, he looks more comfortable. His game is more well-rounded than he's given credit for-- not just a knock down shooter. Point it, he's progressing, which is all you can ask for from a freshman thrust into his role.Even a moron like you can't argue that.

I could give a rats Azzi Fudd if you think I'm a terrible poster but I'm no moron
I said wrong that I don't feel bad about making comments about HIS FATHER not VJ and I don't - what his father did was wrong
I have said many times in the past that guys like VJ and CV have been thrown to the wolves by getting more PT than expected
And I stand by my comment that he was playing terrible basketball as was RP, CV and others at times
Read the full comments not just what you want to read - par for the course from you

Reaction Score
More than wins and losses we need Vance and hopefully Vital to start hitting their shots. Our season has been reduced to a AAC tournament run. Wins and losses mean very little right now. Player growth is everything. Good to see Vance improving his game.

Reaction Score
He's had a nice stroke from the get-go. It's a matter of shot selection. He's making better decisions.

shot selection wasn't really that big of an issue, he was getting looks and attempting shots that you would want someone described as a shooter to take, he was just bricking them.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
That it's reached the point that special mention is expected when he has a good game is an indictment in itself.
It's not about Rodney. It's an indictment of fans.

When Rodney went to the family to take that photo after his interview it spoke volumes about him. The jaded fans in this forum that need to win so badly they take it out on players when those players are unable to provide them with happiness speaks volumes about the posters in this forum.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I'm still going with Durham having the highest ceiling. He really covers space efficiently on offense on defense. He really is the zone buster from the elbow or FT line. High release and confident in that shot. And he gets rebounds out of his zone.

I'm really excited for him next year and especially in 2018-2019.
Me too. I want more minutes for JD. He played 8 yesterday. He should be getting 15 a game. He should be the first big off the bench not SE. I like that JA got some rest last night. It didn't help reduce his TO's (6) but should help him through the rest of the season. Playing 40 minutes a game is not sustainable.

Reaction Score
I could give a rats Azzi Fudd if you think I'm a terrible poster but I'm no moron
I said wrong that I don't feel bad about making comments about HIS FATHER not VJ and I don't - what his father did was wrong
I have said many times in the past that guys like VJ and CV have been thrown to the wolves by getting more PT than expected
And I stand by my comment that he was playing terrible basketball as was RP, CV and others at times
Read the full comments not just what you want to read - par for the course from you
He will either start next year or get starters minutes.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
shot selection wasn't really that big of an issue, he was getting looks and attempting shots that you would want someone described as a shooter to take, he was just bricking them.
You think that 28-foot brick early in the shot clock against Memphis was good shot selection? When he has his feet set and shoots in rhythm he makes them. When he rushes his shots without doing that is when he bricks them. That's what I meant by shot selection. I know you get a chubby trolling me but you forced it here, ace.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Vance will probably have a few dud games now. I'm calling this the Boneyard jinx. It's like the commentators saying the kid doesn't miss free throws just before he shoots ... and misses.

Reaction Score
You think that 28-foot brick early in the shot clock against Memphis was good shot selection? When he has his feet set and shoots in rhythm he makes them. When he rushes his shots without doing that is when he bricks them. That's what I meant by shot selection. I know you get a chubby trolling me but you forced it here, ace.

Did he say Vance never took a bad shot? There were a small handful -- no more than anyone else on the team.

Reaction Score
not trolling when I point out you're wrong, which is often the case. Vance has shot wide open 3s for airballs and off the side of the backboard, that's not poor shot selection, that's just shooting poorly. You're too old to be making homoerotic comments, act your waist size and grow up a lil bit.

Reaction Score
Glad Vance is feeling it. what is the area he needs work? Just wondering what people are thinking.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom