USF & Illinois discussing moving their game to Champaign | Page 4 | The Boneyard

USF & Illinois discussing moving their game to Champaign

Reaction Score
Don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen. Aresco might as well be decked out in Bulls apparel waving green and gold pom poms for the cover photo on next season's USF media guide. He now commands the same level of respect as former Big East commish Marinatto...none at all.
If he's anything like Marinatto, then he's got tomato sauce on his tie and garlic bread in his pockets.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Look how safe the team is

Tampa is suddenly in Hurricane Irma's path - CNN

Mayor of Tampa "We're about to get punched in the face"

Is that story 3 days old? Turns our ol' Bob Buckhorn wasn't right.

Thankfully the storm died quickly. But unless you are an insurance adjuster all is well.

Watching the news try and pump this thing up like it's a category 5 is amazing.

Reaction Score

Thankfully the storm died quickly. But unless you are an insurance adjuster all is well.

My bad if old, I just saw something on tv how Tampa took a somewhat unexpected direct hit and googled lazily. Was probably duped by said media sensationalism. Saw tweets in the other thread of officials tweeting in caps ALL IS WELL

Reaction Score

"Florida can thank Cuba, where it did hit as a Category 5 storm, said Maue and Jeff Masters, meteorology director for Weather Underground.

Irma would probably have hit Florida as a Category 5 hurricane if it had missed Cuba, Masters said.

The storm briefly trekked over Cuba’s low populated coast Friday evening through Saturday afternoon. That weakened Irma enough that when upper level winds from the west eroded some of the storm’s top and also blew in dry air, it had the combined of effect of making Irma more ragged, Masters said. It was at that point, he said, that Irma’s southwest eyewall sort of came apart, no longer a perfect circle on satellite imagery.

Slightly weakened from Cuba, the storm got caught up in competing weather systems a little longer, delaying its northward right turn into Florida. And that delay pushed the track further west, making it more of a threat to Florida’s west coast than its east."

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
Just got back to my house after staying in a shelter at USF.

Thankfully, no major damage just a big mess to clean up from down trees.

There are some street lights out on various intersections.

IMO, we should be able to host Ill at RayJay on Friday or Saturday, but I don't make that decision.

Mark Harlan‏ @MarkHarlanUSF 49m 49 minutes ago
Mark Harlan Retweeted rick isenbeck
Too early-will see how Tampa looks today, assure we can get our practices in & work w/ our partners( AAC, Ilini, TSA).Will let all know asap

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
My issue is FAU stayed in Wisconsin after their game. Still not sure why USF couldn't do the same as I know UConn would have made accommodation as would have the AAC.

FAU received $1.2 million for that game which more than covers the yearly salary for Kiffin.

Their conference gets much less money than the AAC.

I figure they were going to play that game under any circumstances to get that much needed money.

Under those circumstances, having to pay for a hotel room for a few extra days, is no big deal.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
FAU received $1.2 million for that game which more than covers the yearly salary for Kiffin.

I figure they were going to play that game under any circumstances to get that much needed money.

Under those circumstances, having to pay for a hotel room for a few extra days, is no big deal.
So USF cancelled based on cost, not safety?

Reaction Score
FAU received $1.2 million for that game which more than covers the yearly salary for Kiffin. Their conference gets much less money than the AAC. I figure they were going to play that game under any circumstances to get that much needed money. Under those circumstances, having to pay for a hotel room for a few extra days, is no big deal.

... and Wisconsin picked up the tab for hotels/meals.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
My issue is FAU stayed in Wisconsin after their game. Still not sure why USF couldn't do the same as I know UConn would have made accommodation as would have the AAC.

BECAUSE
WISCONSIN'S
ATHLETIC
DEPARTMENT
WHICH
PRINTS
MONEY
FOR
FUN
PAID
FOR
IT
AND
UCONN'S
ATHLETIC
DEPARTMENT
MAKES
A
PITTANCE
BY
COMPARISON

CL82

Reaction Score
BECAUSE
WISCONSIN'S
ATHLETIC
DEPARTMENT
WHICH
PRINTS
MONEY
FOR
FUN
PAID
FOR
IT
AND
UCONN'S
ATHLETIC
DEPARTMENT
MAKES
A
PITTANCE
BY
COMPARISON
Well that and there's a difference between a one off pay game and conference game, but I'm sure that UConn would have accommodated USF if they had to stay in CT, including access to facilities.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Are you going to tell me that the AAC wouldn't foot the bill for a place to stay safe during the storm? Again none of this will be decided now but I am just talking about what ifs.

What UCF is done to Georgia tech is worse imho.

Reaction Score

USF's golf, tennis, and soccer teams all cancelled their road games last weekend, right?

Reaction Score
Well that and there's a difference between a one off pay game and conference game, but I'm sure that UConn would have accommodated USF if they had to stay in CT, including access to facilities.

Figure $12,000 per day for accommodations and meals. UConn is not paying that, and USF is even more cash-strapped than we are . . .

An eight person golf team isn't nearly the expense or logistical nightmare.

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
So USF cancelled based on cost, not safety?

I did not mean to imply that.

I don't think costs played any factor with USF.

I believe USF acted in good faith, based on the info they had at the time.

It was then believed that the east coast of Florida was going to take the brunt of the storm. So, the UConn - USF game time was moved up in order to get the plane back to Tampa in ample time.

When it became apparent that Irma was heading more westerly, the time line for getting the charter back safely narrowed and the game was called.

The Tampa airport ended up shutting down at 8 PM on Saturday.

Had the USF plane already taken off for UConn, then I presume the team would have stayed over.

I know that the team truck carrying the USF football gear was already enroute when the game was called off.

Posted Wednesday at 08:46 PM
Just figured I'd give you guys a sneak peak of the new wrap on the truck (my company is the transportation provider for equipment). Headed out to UCONN this morning!

upload_2017-9-11_17-48-54.png

New wrap on athletics trailer

Last edited:

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
USF's golf, tennis, and soccer teams all cancelled their road games last weekend, right?

I read that the men's soccer team decide to stay over in Atlanta.

USF Men's Soccer‏ @USFMSOC Sep 9
As we made our way to Tampa, we have decided it's in the best interest & safety of our team to remain in ATL until it is safe to return home

There are related stories at that link, if interested.

...Irma's projected track was considerably farther east when the Bulls departed Thursday for Nebraska, but when it took a sudden westward shift, the team was left with two safe choices: remain in Omaha, or take a Saturday morning red-eye commercial flight to Atlanta, and settle there for the time being...

MLS club assists displaced USF soccer team

I don't know about the other sports.

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
It was then believed that the east coast of Florida was going to take the brunt of the storm. So, the UConn - USF game time was moved up in order to get the plane back to Tampa in ample time.
So that they could be back in Florida in time for the hurricane?

Nah, this was a football decision, based upon being able to ready for the next game in a short week.

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
So that they could be back in Florida in time for the hurricane?

Nah, this was a football decision, based upon being able to ready for the next game in a short week.

I'm sure that the Ill game scheduled this week played a part in the decision to come back to Tampa rather than to stay in Conn.

Almost every year Tampa is 'projected' to get a hurricane. That hasn't happened here for well over fifty years.

It seemed early on that Tampa wouldn't be hit very hard again and the game was moved up to allow for a timely return. The team would have hunkered down here and, if possible, play Ill later in the week.

Soon after reaching that decision, the track shifted more westerly and the game was therefore cancelled.

USF Football Retweeted
Mark Harlan‏ @MarkHarlanUSF 8h8 hours ago
Coaches have let us know our students are safe after a long night of Irma. @USFAthletics is very blessed today-Thx to all for your concerns

We still don't know what will happen with our game with Ill.

Still no word on status of Illinois-USF

Last edited:

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
It ain't happenin" in TB. And if they fly and play there in Urbana or wherever the that place is?
Go Illini.

Reaction Score
It ain't happenin" in TB. And if they fly and play there in Urbana or wherever the that place is?
Go Illini.

pssstttt (real softly)...."it's in the thread title".....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom