USA vs Canada | Page 2 | The Boneyard

USA vs Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Parting thoughts: USA still has work to do. When they get in sync and get the rest of the WNBA players, they are going to be one tough out. Kia Nurse will be a very good player for UConn in the future perhaps, but tonight she wasn't very effective. Canada was held to about 20 in the second half. Final: 76-51.

Reaction Score
Parting thoughts: USA still has work to do. When they get in sync and get the rest of the WNBA players, they are going to be one tough out. Kia Nurse will be a very good player for UConn in the future perhaps, but tonight she wasn't very effective. Canada was held to about 20 in the second half. Final: 76-51.

I think Nurse will be a good player as soon as she gets to UConn, there is a little bit of difference playing against college kids and then playing against the absolute best players in the world.

Reaction Score
Sims & Diggins played gtreat together.
Breanna was very good.
I didn't see Stef do anything to help herself.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
I'd be shocked if Stef is kept after today's game. Frankly it just made me wonder what Chiney would have done today if Stef had been cut first - Stef seemed 1-2 steps slow most of the game.

Can see them keeping Sim & Diggins both as long as possible. Also, I understood from the announcer that all 7 of the PHX-CHI players aren't automatically able to try out/fly to France. I could see 12 + 4-5 of those (depending upon injuries/health - assume that Vandersloot and Bonner not as highly regarded as the others and have to wonder if EDD really up to this right now). To me, 16 sounds better than taking 20!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Geno must be praying the BG and Syl are ready. Our interior players were not really effective on defense. Nneka and Charles are great at the 4.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Nurse plays with great intensity on defense. Like her mobility and ball-handling on offense. She's got a chance to be a nice player, I think.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Sylvia Fowles is not playing in the World Championships. Explains why Team USA kept Stef and Lavender. I'd choose Lavender or if for any reason Nneka is not making the roster, I'd keep her over both of them.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Carolyn Peck made mention that 8 players were playing in WNBA finals an still needed to head to Paris. Shortly after that she made mention that she "heard" some may not attend.

Her 12 were:

Whalen
Bird
Diggins
Moore
Mcoughtry
Augustus
Dupree
Stewart
Griner
Charles
Ogwumike
Taurasi

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I didn't think either Lavender or Dolson showed well. I say go with BG, Tina, and Nneka as post players.
I think USA has to cut down the team significantly so the players on the team get get used to each other. With presumably 4or 5 players coming in from the finals I think they need to cut 3 players at least from this group so they are down to 14 or 15 at most.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
My take:
  • Skylar played very well
  • Stef, not so much (Not sure she was picked over the WNBA rookie of the year other than that tonight's game was in CT)
  • Lots of potential for Kia Nurse
  • 3pt shooting was a little suspect.
  • Tina Charles had some good moves but isn't as athletic as Nmeka.

Question that occurred to me: Does Chris Sienko's role on the selection committee impact Tina's chances?

JS

Reaction Score
Nurse plays with great intensity on defense. Like her mobility and ball-handling on offense. She's got a chance to be a nice player, I think.
Agree. Just back from the game and I thought she looked like she belonged out there, despite being youngest on the court -- playing with the best pros before ever playing a college game. Nothing spectacular, just a good solid court presence.

And as self-advertised, a real pest on defense. Was bedeviling Diggins to the point of visible annoyance.

After a slow first half, Stewie quietly tied for second-leading USA scorer in only 12 minutes.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
bschwartz - Tina is on the team, so no.
I was impressed with Kia - she definitely looked strong and confident - got trapped just across the half court line when USA started trapping, but she looked pretty comfortable guarding WNBA players and bring it up against Diggins and Sims. She also hit 50% from three but missed both of her 2 pointers.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Wbbfan1 said:
Sylvia Fowles is not playing in the World Championships. Explains why Team USA kept Stef and Lavender. I'd choose Lavender or if for any reason Nneka is not making the roster, I'd keep her over both of them.

Fowles is not playing - I didn't know that. I wonder when that announcement was made. She disappeared for long periods of time in the WNBA Finals I sure hope her injury isn't acting up

Reaction Score
Nurse ran the team better then the 2 starting guards for Canada, showed more poise bringing the ball up, and found teammates.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Geno says there may be travel issues with Griner's eye that could impact her playing. Would be a huge loss for Team USA if Griner and Fowles don't play. Should still win the Gold Medal.

EDD also may not be able to travel due to her back injury.

Info came from John A tweets

Reaction Score
Carolyn Peck made mention that 8 players were playing in WNBA finals an still needed to head to Paris. Shortly after that she made mention that she "heard" some may not attend.

Her 12 were:

Whalen
Bird
Diggins
Moore
Mcoughtry
Augustus
Dupree
Stewart
Griner
Charles
Ogwumike
Taurasi

I'm good with almost half the team UConn although you can't have too many.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Wbbfan1 said:
Geno says there may be travel issues with Griner's eye that could impact her playing. Would be a huge loss for Team USA if Griner and Fowles don't play. Should still win the Gold Medal.

Well if this is really true they may have to keep Stef, otherwise we are going to be pretty short in the post

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I think Nurse will be a good player as soon as she gets to UConn, there is a little bit of difference playing against college kids and then playing against the absolute best players in the world.
Sure. Agreed all the way. I was only referring to what I thought about her minutes tonight. Obviously a very talented young lady to get to her present situation. I'd also admit that it was a little hard to see anybody shine very much with frequent/rapid substitutions and generally ragged play. Can't wait to see her game evolve with Geno, et. Al.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Just some semi-random thoughts from watching the game in person.

Everyone got a nice ovation to start the game, Canadians included. Those with UConn ties got the loudest cheers. I'd say that the cheers were loudest for Maya and second loudest for Stewie.

Kia Nurse acquitted herself reasonably well. She may not be a talent at the level of Maya or Stewie, but she can play. She has size, tenacity, and good decision making.

Maya had 8 points, 7 steals, and 4 assists, plus 4 turnovers, as she forced some passes. She is excellent in transition. She also looks very lean.

Tina did not play much, but established herself in the 3rd period with a couple of jump hooks. I thought she looked good.

Sue didn't score (0-2) but knew what was going on better than anyone. She'll be on the team. So will Lindsay Whalen, who is amazingly strong.

Stewie has a nice sequence of an open trey, a short jump hook, and a 1-handed layup on a break. She has a unique skill set.

Stef made some nice passes and screens, but was beaten for layups at least 4 times. I can see her in the mix in 2-4 years, but doesn't make this team unless there are injuries.

I thought Nneka played hard and showed her offensive moves, though I would have liked a better shooting percentage considering where her shots came from. I think she makes the team.

Both Sims and Diggins got a fair amount of playing time. Both showed some good things and scored some points. I like Skylar's quickness, but think that she dribbles too much and looks to shoot before passing. On defense, she is a bit like Angel--she goes for steals with mixed results. I think one of them makes the team.

The team looked out of synch at times, both offensively and defensively. In the first half, the players were running into each other on defense. In the half court offense, they were so-s0. The big advantage came in getting turnovers and running the break.

Canada has some size and talent. They played us almost even in the first half. Katherine Plouffe is good.

It was wonderful to see so many former UConn greats in one place. I understand the current Huskies were there, but I couldn't spot them. The next game for me--USA v. China in Istanbul in 12 more days. USA!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

I missed the Geno comment about BG not be able to travel due to her eye. Was that in the post-game press conference.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Kia Nurse acquitted herself reasonably well. She may not be a talent at the level of Maya or Stewie, but she can play. She has size, tenacity, and good decision making.

There is only one player on this planet whose talent is at the level of Maya or Stewie and she is in Phoenix packing her bag for another run at a gold medal.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom