Updated ESPNW Hoopgurlz Rankings | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Updated ESPNW Hoopgurlz Rankings

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Hey VG, not sure if you know this but while I am sure UCF is a fine school it is not in the IVY Conference with Princeton and Yale...just sayin’ ;)

Reaction Score
In the case of those five it's based off social media follows by UConn coaches.

There's a recruit thread you know? ;)

Edit: Actually, I think interest in Edwards is based on a local article, the rest on social media.

Ah. Thank you. Yes, I know of the recruit thread. But honestly, it quickly gets to so many pages early each month that it's nearly impossible for someone who is not reading it twice a day to slog through.

But I appreciate this. Never knew who the list was created. Thank you!

Reaction Score
With so much basketball canceled over the past year, how much stock can we put in these rankings? They were already subjective to begin with. Wouldn't players who haven't gotten to play much due to COVID at a huge disadvantage?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
2023 UConn POI:

38-Groot
I like Groot. Decent reach.

1622242994079.png

Reaction Score
With so much basketball canceled over the past year, how much stock can we put in these rankings? They were already subjective to begin with. Wouldn't players who haven't gotten to play much due to COVID at a huge disadvantage?
This new posting, not sure but I think the next update after the summer season should help clarify things. With FIBA competitions and the AAU circuit back in full swing, I'm sure a lot of these kids are going to be seen by the evaluators.

W

wolfe613

Stanford recruiting if they repeat this yr which will be very hard they might have a dynasty going

Reaction Score

Is it me? Or do these rankers have an uncanny way of upgrading kids who've committed to UConn, because they know that if Coach Geno thinks they're that talented, they really must be?

I get a feeling I know who's reacting to whom...

Reaction Score
Is it me? Or do these rankers have an uncanny way of upgrading kids who've committed to UConn, because they know that if Coach Geno thinks they're that talented, they really must be?

Patterson and Brady have both been highly ranked since before committing to UConn. But I get what you're saying, and I agree. Mir McLean rose greatly after she committed.

Reaction Score
Stanford recruiting if they repeat this yr which will be very hard they might have a dynasty going
Not likely with UCONN and South Carolina's talent easily matching Stanford's!

Reaction Score

Most online recruiting services like to imply that they are skilled as talent evaluators to a point where they function autonomously in that area, but mostly 90-95% of their evals are simply based on how much recruiting attention prospects get from college programs, and how big/successful those programs are. So its a pretty reactive things based on that.

They try to learn from behind-the-scenes discussions with coaches with those big programs (which does not happen that often) what those coaches look for in prospects, and then try to apply that knowledge in their own evals early in the process to sort of guess that certain prospects will have "it" that will ultimately render a ton of major offers.

But they always keep their eyes on the top recruiters. Alabama has enjoyed this "phenomenon" in recruiting for years now in college football: prospects that get offered by them jump up in the ratings, and when they commit to them suddenly become top 10 "blue chips". If they de-commit from Alabama for reasons that lean towards Alabama choosing to recruit over them and tell them to start looking elsewhere, then they somehow plummet in the ratings. I'm sure these online site evaluators regard Connecticut the same way with WBB.....

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
In the case of those five it's based off social media follows by UConn coaches.

There's a recruit thread you know? ;)

Edit: Actually, I think interest in Edwards is based on a local article, the rest on social media.
Hugh thanks to you Sluconn Husky, in awe of the dedication and work you put in to help us stay informed on the recruiting scene. I look at Hoop Gurlz most days but learn much more from your posts and videos. I know from posts that there are many more who appreciate your efforts as well.
Also a big thanks to all your contemporaries CocoHusky, Vowelguy, MilfordHusky and all you others for keeping us in the know on what I feel is the most important day to day info on recruiting there is to be had.
Hats off to all of you.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Hugh thanks to you Sluconn Husky, in awe of the dedication and work you put in to help us stay informed on the recruiting scene. I look at Hoop Gurlz most days but learn much more from your posts and videos. I know from posts that there are many more who appreciate your efforts as well.
Also a big thanks to all your contemporaries Cocoa Husky, Vowelguy, MilfordHusky and all you others for keeping us in the know on what I feel is the most important day to day info on recruiting there is to be had.
Hats off to all of you.

Thank you, and we can now change something I said above as CD just started following Joyce Edwards #1 at ESPN on social media today.

Reaction Score
Most online recruiting services like to imply that they are skilled as talent evaluators to a point where they function autonomously in that area, but mostly 90-95% of their evals are simply based on how much recruiting attention prospects get from college programs, and how big/successful those programs are. So its a pretty reactive things based on that.

They try to learn from behind-the-scenes discussions with coaches with those big programs (which does not happen that often) what those coaches look for in prospects, and then try to apply that knowledge in their own evals early in the process to sort of guess that certain prospects will have "it" that will ultimately render a ton of major offers.

But they always keep their eyes on the top recruiters. Alabama has enjoyed this "phenomenon" in recruiting for years now in college football: prospects that get offered by them jump up in the ratings, and when they commit to them suddenly become top 10 "blue chips". If they de-commit from Alabama for reasons that lean towards Alabama choosing to recruit over them and tell them to start looking elsewhere, then they somehow plummet in the ratings. I'm sure these online site evaluators regard Connecticut the same way with WBB.....

There's that aspect for one. It also seems like they tie some of their evaluations/rankings to the events they host. Evaluations from one group (e.g. Prime Events - who now does HoopGurlz) may seem skewed based on who they "really" saw versus being independent and working nationwide.

W

wolfe613

Not likely with UCONN and South Carolina's talent easily matching Stanford's!
yes like I said it is going to be very hard but name me a team who has more depth, more experience(title experience), and talent like Stanford? I'll put them up with anyone, them and SC my faves

Reaction Score
yes like I said it is going to be very hard but name me a team who has more depth, more experience(title experience), and talent like Stanford? I'll put them up with anyone, them and SC my faves

Can you clarify what your definition of title experience means? Using national titles as the basis for comparison doesn't make sense because I think that's more about the coaches than the players.

When I'm thinking of Stanford, a good chunk of their key players for this title joined the team in 2019 or 2020. The 2019/2020 tournament never happened. I'm not sure how this fits into your argument.

W

wolfe613

Can you clarify what your definition of title experience means? Using national titles as the basis for comparison doesn't make sense because I think that's more about the coaches than the players.

When I'm thinking of Stanford, a good chunk of their key players for this title joined the team in 2019 or 2020. The 2019/2020 tournament never happened. I'm not sure how this fits into your argument.
because playing in a championship game and winning it is an advantage? You think Uconn(this current roster) knows what it's like to be in that situation, they haven't shown it.

Reaction Score
because playing in a championship game and winning it is an advantage? You think Uconn(this current roster) knows what it's like to be in that situation, they haven't shown it.
Can't use the term "current roster" when projecting the 2021-2022 season. We're now looking at how teams look on paper until they hit the court. And looking at the rosters for the programs coming in, it's anyone's guess who will come out on top this season.

Stanford may have an advantage of winning the championship game. On the flip side, UCONN, South Carolina, and Arizona also have the experience of what it was like to be that close and not win. Those experiences can help teams just as much as winning a championship can for Stanford. In some cases, it adds fuel to the motivation.

There are too many examples in sports where previous championship experience didn't make a difference in the end, be it in WBB, MBB, NFL football, NBA basketball, etc. "One and Done" tournaments make it even harder to predict.

W

wolfe613

Can't use the term "current roster" when projecting the 2021-2022 season. We're now looking at how teams look on paper until they hit the court. And looking at the rosters for the programs coming in, it's anyone's guess who will come out on top this season.

Stanford may have an advantage of winning the championship game. On the flip side, UCONN, South Carolina, and Arizona also have the experience of what it was like to be that close and not win. Those experiences can help teams just as much as winning a championship can for Stanford. In some cases, it adds fuel to the motivation.

There are too many examples in sports where previous championship experience didn't make a difference in the end, be it in WBB, MBB, NFL football, NBA basketball, etc. "One and Done" tournaments make it even harder to predict.
whoever starts for Uconn will not have a ntl title is the point I am making. Stanford brings back everyone basically and this was with me expecting them to not have Anna Wilson back and now that she is back just gives them an even bigger edge

Reaction Score
I could argue that Stanford has the best chemistry, Uconn has the best talent, Maryland has the most intimidating offence, and South Carolina and Baylor are best at imposing their style of play. They seem to be the main contenders.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Hannah Stines from California debuts at #33 and article says Stanford is recruiting her (elsewhere it sounds like Stanford might not be in the mix for Rice anymore).
Curious where you heard that Stanford is not in the mix on Rice anymore. If so, that’s pretty big news considering that many had expected that she would end up in Palo Alto.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom