Updated 2014 class rankings | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Updated 2014 class rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
#37 McKenzie Calvert to USC.

Great pick up for Cooper and the Trojans.

Or #33
:)

With that, USC launches from the 40s to #16.

Just when I was about to say that it's been quiet!

tnvolfan65

Loyal LV Fan
Reaction Score
tnvolfan65, I appreciate the tremenous amount of work put into this. My only issue is the formula, which I explain below.

My issue is that the formula rewards the quanitity of the class over the quality. For example, UConn has three players, all ranked between #10 and #16 on your list. Louisville has five players, none ranked in the Top 25 (the highest rated is #27). Yet Louisville has a higher rated class, in part because it has more recruits to accumulate more points.

I think there needs to be less differential among the top ten and among most of the top categories. As it stands, the formula rewards the larger classes more than the classes with fewer commitments but commitments from all truly elite players.

Thanks Cam. I really appreciate your input.

I'm getting some of the same feedback on the Summitt with Vanderbilt's class being ranked above Tennessee's.

I'm completely open to changing up my formula. However, I would like to point out that while Uconn does have a quality trio, Louisville's quintet isn't too shabby. No they didn't have any players in the top 25, but they had four players in the top 50 with their latest coming in at 66th.

I did try to weigh the elite recruits heavily. A'ja Wilson alone would rank 27th as a recruiting class. Her and White together would rank seventh.

I know some may be biased here, but who's class is better in y'all's opinion?

Uconn- 10, 15, 16
Louisville- 27, 35, 48, 49, 66

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Thanks Cam. I really appreciate your input.

I'm getting some of the same feedback on the Summitt with Vanderbilt's class being ranked above Tennessee's.

I'm completely open to changing up my formula. However, I would like to point out that while Uconn does have a quality trio, Louisville's quintet isn't too shabby. No they didn't have any players in the top 25, but they had four players in the top 50 with their latest coming in at 66th.

I did try to weigh the elite recruits heavily. A'ja Wilson alone would rank 27th as a recruiting class. Her and White together would rank seventh.

I know some may be biased here, but who's class is better in y'all's opinion?

Uconn- 10, 15, 16
Louisville- 27, 35, 48, 49, 66
I'm not a UConn fan, but I believe that UConn's class (based just on the rankings) is the class I would rather have. You get lots of quality without filling up too many slots. Most teams only give 7-8 players decent minutes, so if those players can all be highly regarded, you're doing great! I think the top 5 players typically encompass the 'franchise' players (difference makers for a program like Chiney, Diggins, Griner, KML, Stewart, Sims, Gray, etc.), so recruiting them is generally much better than getting 2 players in the early 20's. The talent drop-off is very steep, so players in the 40's are generally worth much less than players in the 20's. Of course there are always gems that are unearthed/developed who are much better than their rankings. Dolson was 39th in HoopsGurlz, but I don't know her composite ranking. Kayla McBride was ranked 20th, but she's better than many of the players ranked above her. But these players are very rare exceptions, statistically much less common than top 5 players that never reach their projected potential (list your favorite bust here, mines probably Sophia Loren). There's lots of information in the rankings, but there's a bit of variance that makes interpreting them literally a treacherous enterprise.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
But these players are very rare exceptions, statistically much less common than top 5 players that never reach their projected potential (list your favorite bust here, mines probably Sophia Loren).
One of the worst years was 97-98 Bluestar rankings.
#4 Carolyn Moos, #5 Juana Brown, #7 Maren Walseth, #8 Latoyna Sims and #9 Lisa Shepard all rated above, get this.....#22 Katie Douglas, #29 Coco Miller, #53 Ruth Riley, #72 Deanna "Tweety" Nolan. Yikes! :eek:

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
One of the worst years was 97-98 Bluestar rankings.
#4 Carolyn Moos, #5 Juana Brown, #7 Maren Walseth, #8 Latoyna Sims and #9 Lisa Shepard all rated above, get this.....#22 Katie Douglas, #29 Coco Miller, #53 Ruth Riley, #72 Deanna "Tweety" Nolan. Yikes! :eek:

You are comparing what they did in college and the pros, then going back to judge the high school rankings? Maybe they were not at that level in high school.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
(list your favorite bust here, mines probably Sophia Loren).

Or maybe Raquel Welch instead, but Sophia is a fine choice!

:D

[declining to post a suitable image here, tempting tho it may be]

Reaction Score
Changes since last time:

• [ ]Ohio St sneaks up to 3rd by landing #54 Asia Doss.
    [ ]Cal leaps 17th to 8th by getting #6 Gabby Green.
    [ ]Kentucky was nowhere earlier, but enters at 12th with Alyssa Rice (#22) and Alexis Jenninfgs (#67).
    [ ]Wake Forest (?!) debuts at #17.
    [ ]While most schools got pushed down by the new entrants, Stanford held at #21 thanks to improved ratings for Kaylee Johnson (up to #97).
    [ ]Vic Schaefer, former TAMU assistant, gets things going in his 2nd year at Miss St, entering at 24th
    [ ]ACC still leads by a wide margin with 13 top 50 and 22 of the top 100 players. The _average_ school has 814 pts.
    [ ]The AAC has Cincy at 48th, Temple 50, SMU 56, and Memphis 57.

View attachment 3842

Does anyone factor in the past success the coach of each team has had with high ranking classes? It is subjective but does impact the results, up or down, each school with have with the chosen players.

Reaction Score
ummm, yea, that's kinda the point.

Obviously.

This is what I was referring to in the "impacts" the coach has once they are playing at UCONN. I feel Geno is the best at getting the most out of his players.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
You are comparing what they did in college and the pros, then going back to judge the high school rankings? Maybe they were not at that level in high school.
I thought the Recruiting services' rankings were not based on how they performed in high school but rather how they project in college. (Wasn't that the rationale for Chong's low ranking by some services?) If that is correct, then it's perfectly reasonable to compare a player's success in college to their rank in HoopGurlz, Blue Star, etc. But I agree that it's a bit of a stretch to compare their pro careers to their recruiting services' ranking, as the rankings project college success, and the attributes that make someone a successful college player are not the exact same as the qualities needed for the professional game. Plus that's projecting 5-6 years ahead instead of just a year or two.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Not sure if this has been discussed but where is Baylor ? On anyone's list ?
Baylor's 2014 recruiting class is ranked 30th (LINK). They have one fairly highly rated recruit (Dekeiya Cohen, ranked 45th) and one rated lower (Micayla Buckner, ranked 133rd). Kim Mulkey has been having some problems recruiting this year, presumably because of the Griner situation.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I thought the Recruiting services' rankings were not based on how they performed in high school but rather how they project in college.
That's my understanding of most services.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I thought the Recruiting services' rankings were not based on how they performed in high school but rather how they project in college. (Wasn't that the rationale for Chong's low ranking by some services?) If that is correct, then it's perfectly reasonable to compare a player's success in college to their rank in HoopGurlz, Blue Star, etc. But I agree that it's a bit of a stretch to compare their pro careers to their recruiting services' ranking, as the rankings project college success, and the attributes that make someone a successful college player are not the exact same as the qualities needed for the professional game. Plus that's projecting 5-6 years ahead instead of just a year or two.

It is how they perform in high school, how they perform in AAU, and some allowance for college projection. But it is not based solely on how they project; in fact, it is more where they are now (as of the time of the ranking).

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
It's the same in any sport,with all the billions spent by NFL teams over the years on drafting players, you can find hundreds of examples of bad draft choices.

It's just the nature of the evaluation of athletes.

Reaction Score
Marte Grays verbals to DePaul. Espn has her attacked 85.

Thanks!
Composite 108.

Vaults B-Demons into the top 50, which means they earn a color in my spreadsheet. :)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Consensus #32.
Pushes SC into a top 20 class, which would seem to be big in the Wilson sweepstakes.
Yes and no IMO. In the current players at SC, I don't think a single one was a top 25 kid coming out of HS. This means that in their current class, and classes ahead of A'ja, there is no one on the team who could possibly help them make it to the final 4, never mind make a deep run in the NCAA's.

It would be up to Dawn to convince A'ja that "if you come, then top 10 kids from 2015 and beyond will come". Someone mentioned that she convinced Bone to come to SC, and she was a top 5 kid, and she also landed Dupree when she was at Temple. But other than that, she's never gotten a consistent bunch of top players to come play for her. If A'ja has any desire to win a NC, or make a deep run to a final 4, during her college career, I'd say UNC would be a much better choice than SC. Obviously UCONN would be the best choice...

Reaction Score
Yes and no IMO. In the current players at SC, I don't think a single one was a top 25 kid coming out of HS. This means that in their current class, and classes ahead of A'ja, there is no one on the team who could possibly help them make it to the final 4, never mind make a deep run in the NCAA's.

It would be up to Dawn to convince A'ja that "if you come, then top 10 kids from 2015 and beyond will come". Someone mentioned that she convinced Bone to come to SC, and she was a top 5 kid, and she also landed Dupree when she was at Temple. But other than that, she's never gotten a consistent bunch of top players to come play for her. If A'ja has any desire to win a NC, or make a deep run to a final 4, during her college career, I'd say UNC would be a much better choice than SC. Obviously UCONN would be the best choice...

Good thing Rebecca lobo didn't think that way.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Frosh Alaina Coates was #22 Consensus.
Ah. 18 per blue star, 28 per PN and HG. Not sure where she was on ASGR. So I guess I should have said "I don't think she's landed a top 20 kid". As for Lobo, yep. Good thing she didn't feel that way. Every coach has to start somewhere if they are going to build something big. But my point is Dawn has been a HC for years and just hasn't proven she can recruit at the highest level. The brand new coaches at OSU and Texas are already recruiting circles around her.

Reaction Score
Frosh Alaina Coates was #22 Consensus.

And it would be difficult to name 25 players from the 2011 class who have been more productive than South Carolina's Aleighsa Welch (12 pts/7.7 rebs/59.8% shooting as a sophomore) despite her only being ranked 88th by Hoopgurlz. Tiffany Mitchell (HG #46 for 2012) also had a better freshman season than many of the players ranked ahead of her.

It's just silly to focus on high school rankings once the games start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom