Unpopular WBB Opinions That You Hold | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Unpopular WBB Opinions That You Hold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
For the record, I am not saying that every UConn fan loathed Tennessee or vice versa.

For the record, I am saying that followers of UConn or the accursed Lady Vols have never qualified as bona fide fans unless/until they consistently, persistently and vocally expressed their hatred, loathing and revulsion of that Other (Despicable) Team Not to Be Named. Every single one!

I think that about covers it. But if you disagree I invite your attention to people qualified to provide expert testimony about hatred for a rival (e.g., TonyC, DoggyDaddy, AuraBass, TinyVol or Marie Cornelius).

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
For the record, I am saying that followers of UConn or the accursed Lady Vols have never qualified as bona fide fans unless/until they consistently, persistently and vocally expressed their hatred, loathing and revulsion of that Other (Despicable) Team Not to Be Named. Every single one!

I think that about covers it. But if you disagree I invite your attention to people qualified to provide expert testimony about hatred for a rival (e.g., TonyC, DoggyDaddy, AuraBass, TinyVol or Marie Cornelius).

D...Cornelius has a familiar ring to it for me.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

I don't hate anyone. There are a few folks I don't like, but hate is way too strong a word.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Loathe is a perfect word and probably a classier way to express the "h" word!

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
At RFK stadium , Giants vs Redskins, in the tunnel b 4 game time.
Phil Simms to Bill Parcells-" man do they hate us down here". Bill Parcells-"they hate us so much- they Love us"!

Reaction Score
How is this an unpopular opinion? It's a fact of life that I became convinced of some years ago when I watched a 6'10" dork on the UConn men's team screw up a windmill dunk in a tight game instead of making a simple finger roll layup shot. The ball caromed off the rim, bounced 30' downcourt where it was scooped up by a UMass player, who then made his layup at the other end as the buzzer went off. UConn thereby lost the game.

Jim Calhoun wanted to lynch his player, but with laws against that, instead settled for aging 3 years that night.
Could've just done a normal dunk.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I don't hate anyone. There are a few folks I don't like, but hate is way too strong a word.

DD, I cited you not as a hater, but (thanks to MC and the FBI) as a perfect example of a hatee.

Reaction Score
How so? Define "better"
I think we focus more on the basics. Men's basketball seems like a big showboat competition all about dunking and fancy moves and the players don't seem . There are a few that aren't like that but they seem to have this ' it's all about me' thing going on.
The women's game you have better team basketball and more focus on playing the game like it's supposed to be played. And the players seem more like real people not like the men , these huge money makers with as much ego as they do cash and talent.

Reaction Score
Actually, often there are assists involved. The King James one just this week that's all the rage was an assist.

Besides a dunk is the highest percentage shot.
Ha my friend was watching the Lakers once and she said 'OMG! Kobe passed the ball!'

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Man, I'm agreeing with a lot of the ideas that are supposed to be unpopular. What gives? All my "unpopulars" have already be expressed, sometimes more than once.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
R

Give me a break. I've seen your posts, I've read the men's board and the realignment board and you fit that bill.

As do most posters on the men's board.
Fit what "bill?" What could you possibly be referring to?

Also, you forfeit the claim of being knowledgeable if you think dunking has no strategic purpose. Going up strong and finishing with power is a requirement when every team has defenders that can reach 12 feet above the floor or more.

Reaction Score
I think we focus more on the basics. Men's basketball seems like a big showboat competition all about dunking and fancy moves and the players don't seem . There are a few that aren't like that but they seem to have this ' it's all about me' thing going on.
The women's game you have better team basketball and more focus on playing the game like it's supposed to be played. And the players seem more like real people not like the men , these huge money makers with as much ego as they do cash and talent.
Couldn't agree more. When I see some 6'10" dunk the ball over someone else, turn and pound his chest like a gorilla while running down court I always think of a quote by who knows who... "Act like you've been there before." I allow a bit for youthful exuberance, but I rarely see that in the women's sports.

Reaction Score
Interesting thread idea, Ghostmutt. I will have it.

- Gail Goestenkors was a great coach at Duke. Duke was tight in games in 2003 and 2004, but between 2005 and 2007, with all that she loss to graduation, she actually demonstrated how great of a coach she was at Duke.
- If Muffet McGraw could have recruited better on a more consistent basis, she would be considered an equal to Geno Auriemma and Pat Summitt, in the eyes of the media.
- If the players are as versatile as the coaches, announcers, etc. would like us to believe, the quality of games would be much better.
I personally think recruiting is one aspect of coaching. You have to know how and who to recruit and be able to "sell them" on what the university and program has to offer them. Evidently Geno is better at doing this than Muffitt and when you consider that he started with a program that was nothing and a fieldhouse that was a dump, leaking like a sieve, WOW! Muffitt has coached at a university that has had a magical allure forever, even in sports other than football. The educational aspect of it, the aura of the campus and yet she couldn't get the higher rated recruits to Notre Dame. It seems like other than a couple of years with Ruth Riley and the last three years of Duggins, Notre Dame hasn't been nothing more than a solid program. Can you say that both had an even playing field. I dare say no. When he started Geno had a program and facilities and a university that no talented women basketball player aspired to attend and yet once they started winning, competing at a pretty high level (1990-91), there's been no stopping them. Our bad years, our most awful years since, were comparable to Muffett's best years other than the two brief periods I mentioned above. Why is that????? Why hasn't she had nearly the same level of success despite having an overwhelmingly favorable situation????????????? Muffett is an outstanding coach but she DEFINITELY ISN'T GENO!!!!!!!! For anyone to say differently doesn't stand up!!! Could she have built the Huskies into what they are, had she been here in 1985 instead. I would emphatically say "NO" since she has had such a preferable advantage and hasn't come close to multiple national championships, much less EIGHT!!!!!

Reaction Score
R

Give me a break. I've seen your posts, I've read the men's board and the realignment board and you fit that bill.

As do most posters on the men's board.

Oh doggy....miss ya but you're not any brighter are you? ;)

Reaction Score

That is such a load of crap..........again, let's be honest here. You're "team" basketball looks fantastic in 26 of 30 regular season games against teams with little or no chance to come within 40 of the Huskies women. Heck no other teams are good enough to stop the Husky girls from running their stuff which looks so great. But ND who is equal or close makes them look sloppy and out of synch. The man run into that much more often as there are MANY more gifted players on all of the teams they face......even the one's they should beat. Different world, different barometer!! But this fallacy of women's basketball tend so be based more off of fundamentals and basics is laughable!!

Reaction Score
That is such a load of crap..........again, let's be honest here. You're "team" basketball looks fantastic in 26 of 30 regular season games against teams with little or no chance to come within 40 of the Huskies women. Heck no other teams are good enough to stop the Husky girls from running their stuff which looks so great. But ND who is equal or close makes them look sloppy and out of synch. The man run into that much more often as there are MANY more gifted players on all of the teams they face......even the one's they should beat. Different world, different barometer!! But this fallacy of women's basketball tend so be based more off of fundamentals and basics is laughable!!
That is true. But you have to work together as a team to play a tough game like that. You have to make good passes and shots and be aware of the defense and offense. Sometimes it takes time to get, but at the end it's rewarded(ex first 3 games against Notre Dame, then the 4th game)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom