UNH Post Game Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UNH Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
We were told coming into this season this team has lots of shooters and we should expect to see a lot of 3’s taken. After tonight we’re averaging 30.8 % from 3 which sits us at 250th in D1. We’re getting good looks, just not hitting (outside of cam). Anybody else worried about this? Esp when we’re playing opponents that we won’t totally dominate the boards.
I was thinking about this tonight also. And I'll tell you why I'm not concerned. They should be a good three point shooting team. So the tide is going to seriously turn the other way soon. Water finding its level. I'm hoping it starts this Friday.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
We were told coming into this season this team has lots of shooters and we should expect to see a lot of 3’s taken. After tonight we’re averaging 30.8 % from 3 which sits us at 250th in D1. We’re getting good looks, just not hitting (outside of cam). Anybody else worried about this? Esp when we’re playing opponents that we won’t totally dominate the boards.
I’m personally not concerned because we have guys who do other things well. Especially when Castle gets back. Our only consistent shooters are Cam and Karaban. And that’s okay as long as guys stick to what they are good at.

Reaction Score
When your game plan is to feed the big man every time down, you won't be running sets for your outside shooters, so when the feed isn't open, your outside shooters will take improvised shots, and you get the result we got tonight.

And, so often when you miss a three, it results in an open three at the other end of the court, so when you miss 24 of 28 threes, you get the result we got tonight.

This was indeed a trap game, the trap being to relentlessly feed our big man rather than run our usual offense. We took the bait lock, stock and barrel. Fortunately, our talent advantage was such that the penalty was that we won by 20 instead of 40.

We must hope that Kansas was closely scouting the game and will make all the wrong assumptions based on what they saw. They may conclude that DC is our whole offense and leave our perimeter open; they may feed their big man repeatedly in order to get DC into foul trouble, thereby screwing up their own offensive sets. Whatever they conclude from tonight's game will be wrong and to our advantage.

Reaction Score
Wasn’t ignoring this bro. Sometimes this board has delays on replies.

There’s no way Solo was actually going to shoot better from 3 than Hawkins last year though. I don’t think Hurley was serious about that prediction.

Also some basketball psychology here, it’s really hard to make 3s the more you take because there’s that much more pressure to make them if that’s most of the shots you’re taking. It’s a mental thing at that point. ESPECIALLY for a young role player. The only way to fix it is taking easier shots and just get used to seeing the ball go in.

If you’re having confidence issues it’s going to be hard making the toughest shot in basketball consistently. There’s just so many reasons why he needs to drop these 3 point attempts and work on developing other, easier, talents first at this point.

He was suppose to come in and be like a Ryan Boatright. Not a Ben Gordon. Lol

Okay I’m tapping out on the subject for this thread.
If he was forcing up shots, I’d be on board with you. He just was missing though. I’d argue it hurts confidence more passing up good looks than trying to force a bucket in traffic. (If you can shoot)

Will agree though that when he’s making hustle plays, tip in’s, etc, he does seem more confident & the outside shooting follows.

Just don’t think he should pass up good looks for his confidence if he’s a confident shooter

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I don’t think it’s an absurd take to suggest Solo should be more aggressive about scoring at the rim, and driving in general. A guy like him shouldn’t have more 3pt attempts than layups, especially against mid majors that he can dominate physically.

I’ll be generous and agree with Hurley that the game is probably just fast for him right now, and he probably doesn’t even realize how much he’s settling, instead of attacking.

The pre season stuff about him being a great shooter needs to be thrown out at this point though, we have enough evidence that he’s not that guy. It’s not a slump, it’s his career body of work.

Once he returns to the bench and settles into his role for the team, he’ll probably only get 1-2 attempts from outside anyways. So hopefully he’ll feel less pressure on those shots, and we’ll see his percentage move into a respectable area. The kid has too much talent to not be an impactful player with time.

Reaction Score
I don’t think it’s an absurd take to suggest Solo should be more aggressive about scoring at the rim, and driving in general. A guy like him shouldn’t have more 3pt attempts than layups, especially against mid majors that he can dominate physically.

I’ll be generous and agree with Hurley that the game is probably just fast for him right now, and he probably doesn’t even realize how much he’s settling, instead of attacking.

The pre season stuff about him being a great shooter needs to be thrown out at this point though, we have enough evidence that he’s not that guy. It’s not a slump, it’s his career body of work.

Once he returns to the bench and settles into his role for the team, he’ll probably only get 1-2 attempts from outside anyways. So hopefully he’ll feel less pressure on those shots, and we’ll see his percentage move into a respectable area. The kid has too much talent to not be an impactful player with time.
Yeah, I'm still confused that a guy with that much athletic talent and a decent handle wants to settle on all these 3 pt shots. Other teams are allowing him to shoot the 3 but he can't fall into this trap just because he is is open.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
He got a T last year for doing that. What game was that?
I remember that. Last year his hand were over his head. Last night you could only see it if you were in the crowd. He was fired up and loving it but knew what he was doing.

Reaction Score
The pre season stuff about him being a great shooter needs to be thrown out at this point though, we have enough evidence that he’s not that guy. It’s not a slump, it’s his career body of work
Just because the small sample size is the only sample size doesn't negate the fact that it's still a small sample. Not saying he's suddenly going to be a great shooter or he shouldn't try to get to the rim more, but 7 games is a small sample whether it's within a larger 100 game career or it's the only 7 games

Reaction Score
Are we still gonna say it’s a small sample size if we’re 15 games in and shooting 30 percent from 3? I hope it bounces back soon because we’re not going to beat Kansas shooting 25-30 percent from 3.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Are we still gonna say it’s a small sample size if we’re 15 games in and shooting 30 percent from 3? I hope it bounces back soon because we’re not going to beat Kansas shooting 25-30 percent from 3.
Marquette beat Kansas shooting 25 percent from 3.

We beat Texas and Indiana shooting 29% and 31% respectively.

I PROMISE y’all there’s other ways to win basketball games. And we are very good at other things.

Reaction Score
Solo Ball was 1-10 from three against Manhattan and New Hampshire. That’s fine, let it fly. These are exactly the games to get reps in

He won’t get 10 threes to miss against Kansas and UNC. If Hurley needs him to stop shooting and start cutting because the game is close, I trust that the adjustment will be made

Reaction Score
Ball a frosh, jush shill. February not too far away.
Clingan always xxxxx is clearly favoring the foot but time will hopefully heal.
Odd to see Karaban struggle with mechanics. Despite constant practice he's still human. No worries at all.
S.J. quite the piece of boing-boing. Quick twitch up and down that long bod.
Team D is jawdropping. Opponents will be allergic to paint. Still places to improve but teams had better hit their 3s to beat us.

Reaction Score
Marquette beat Kansas shooting 25 percent from 3.

We beat Texas and Indiana shooting 29% and 31% respectively.

I PROMISE y’all there’s other ways to win basketball games. And we are very good at other things.
Kansas is a step up of those two teams. Obviously it’s still possible to win but other things are going to have to break right. I don’t think they are gonna turn it over 20 times in their own building like the Marquette game.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Solo Ball was 1-10 from three against Manhattan and New Hampshire. That’s fine, let it fly. These are exactly the games to get reps in

He won’t get 10 threes to miss against Kansas and UNC. If Hurley needs him to stop shooting and start cutting because the game is close, I trust that the adjustment will be made
Then why not rep what you KNOW is going to work in real games…. Thats what doesn’t make any sense. Doing something over and over again expecting a different result is the definition of insanity.

We’re going to ask him to finish at the rim and he’s not going to be used to it because he wasted all that time practicing something that he was never going to make more than 30+% of the time. It’s stupid.

And the boneyard will say “He just wasn’t ready and he’s not confident. ” Well I wonder why. People keep telling him to ignore what he could be good at to do something he’s not good at. Setting him up for failure.

Reaction Score
Then why not rep what you KNOW is going to work in real games…. Thats what doesn’t make any sense. Doing something over and over again expecting a different result is the definition of insanity.

We’re going to ask him to finish at the rim and he’s not going to be used to it because he wasted all that time practicing something that he was never going to make more than 30+% of the time. It’s stupid.

And the boneyard will say “He just wasn’t ready and he’s not confident. ” Well I wonder why. People keep telling him to ignore what he could be good at to do something he’s not good at. Setting him up for failure.
To be honest he hasn’t looked good going to the rim either. A good chunk of his twos are probably offensive rebounds.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I'll focus on the positive. Clingan is 14 for his last 19 ft's.
I agree. His foul shooting is like night and day. Great to see. I was worried in the future if we had a close game and the other team fouls Clingan knowing he could not a hit a free throw.

Reaction Score
When shots aren't falling, play defense. If they can't score, they can't win. Letting that kid Jackson Baker nail 6 threes was unacceptable. We are going to run into a hot 3-point shooter in a big game and we need someone to shut em down and Ajax is not here anymore.

Reaction Score

Because he's not going to listen to some random Boneyard poster on what he needs to work on in these tune up games, and listen to his national championship winning head coach instead. That's exactly why these games are on the schedule, so players can work on parts of their game. Just because you don't want him taking 3's doesn't mean Dan Hurley doesn't. For someone who claims to be such a big fan of Solo Ball you're really trying to limit his game

Reaction Score
Hurley predicted he'd shoot 40% from 3. He was raving about his shooting this fall entering the season. It's clear he was making a ton of 3s in practice. And presumably he took a lot more 3s in practice than he has in the games so far.

Either something needs to be tweaked about how he's shooting in games vs. how he shoots in practice mechanically, or he just needs to shoot his way out of the slump.

It's probably mental more than anything. Big change going from playing in front of 43 people at Brewster to 10,000 at Gampel.

Reaction Score
Because he's not going to listen to some random Boneyard poster on what he needs to work on in these tune up games, and listen to his national championship winning head coach instead. That's exactly why these games are on the schedule, so players can work on parts of their game. Just because you don't want him taking 3's doesn't mean Dan Hurley doesn't. For someone who claims to be such a big fan of Solo Ball you're really trying to limit his game

Solo needs to be gunning in these cupcake games, and I'm glad he did. How else is the kid going to get better?

Now if he takes a half-dozen 3s versus Kansas and hits 0, we have a problem. Vs Lower Mississippi Valley State Technical School for Witchcraft and Wizardy? Take 20 for all I care.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
For someone who claims to be such a big fan of Solo Ball you're really trying to limit his game
Says the guy who thinks he’ll never be a PG and wants him to be a 3 and D guy. But yeah, I’m the one who wants to limit his game.

Being De’Aaron Fox/Russell Westbrook would make him a lot more money than being Bruce Brown.

Reaction Score
Just because the small sample size is the only sample size doesn't negate the fact that it's still a small sample. Not saying he's suddenly going to be a great shooter or he shouldn't try to get to the rim more, but 7 games is a small sample whether it's within a larger 100 game career or it's the only 7 games

Generally you can see if someone is a great shooter whether or not it goes in. Which sounds crazy... but even during Hawkins freshman season or Karaban during a slump (until recently), good shooters have consistent form and usually are backrimming misses.

Solo is all over the place with pretty inconsistent footwork. That makes me think he's still a year away from being a positive contributor from distance.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom