unc | Page 2 | The Boneyard

unc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sounds an awful lot like the Fiesta Bowl. :mad:

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Make no mistake, Oklahoma was superior in talent and was the better team. But, I saw Robbie Frey absolutely run away from their special team guys on the KO return. Just saying.......

Reaction Score
UCONN lost there starting quarterback in that game on the interception. Missed most of the rest of the season if I recall correctly. Once he went down, the offense basically went into reverse.

Reaction Score
Sounds an awful lot like the Fiesta Bowl. :mad:

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
Only difference was the QB/WR play on the '90 UConn team was much more consistent than the '10 UConn team. Didio and Davis at WR and Kozlowksi at TE caught everyhting that came their way, and Degenerro/Benton (if memory serves, they both played that game) could actually hit WR's in stride. It was in the trenches where the beat down occurred. I think 2 of the UConn OL and 1 DL were put out of that game due to injuries. And that was where the biggest speed advantage was. Their front 7 on D were just so much faster.

Funny you compare those 2 games, as UConn's QB gave UNC some bulletin board material by saying "We're not intimidated, it's North Carolina, it's not like we're playing Oklahoma" or something to that effect. That quote was mentioned several times by UNC players throughout the game.

Reaction Score
They got off lightly. One could argue they received the same penalty UConn did for bad APR scores.

Can't think of anything worse at a school than a system of academic cheating overseen by the coach.

Interesting. I agree. Earl Blaik was never implicated at Army, but it's hard to believe he didn't know exactly what was going on, and the punishment fit the crime, IMO, as his own son was expelled among the other 83 cadets that were sent home, expelled from the academy, for cheating, all of them for actually telling the truth, and coming clean and admitting to "passing the poop." Army football has never fully recovered.

Never again, will a college athletic program advise it's constituents to tell the truth, get a lawyer and keep your mouth shut..... LOL

College sports is a dirty business at times. All you can do is maintain your own reputation by your own actions. Don't cheat.

UNC got off really easy. We'll see what happens to Miami.

Reaction Score
Um, I seem to remember a game we played against the Heels in our Yankee Conference days where they beat us handily, something like 55-7.

48-21. It wasn't that bad. Starting QB separated shoulder getting tackled on a bootleg in the first quarter. Played til half but couldn't go after it stiffened up in the locker room. Defense had some problems that day.

Reaction Score
UCONN lost there starting quarterback in that game on the interception. Missed most of the rest of the season if I recall correctly. Once he went down, the offense basically went into reverse.

Missed four games, and the offense did just fine w/ Benton running it for those four games, even set a single game passing record.

Reaction Score
Only difference was the QB/WR play on the '90 UConn team was much more consistent than the '10 UConn team. Didio and Davis at WR and Kozlowksi at TE caught everyhting that came their way, and Degenerro/Benton (if memory serves, they both played that game) could actually hit WR's in stride. It was in the trenches where the beat down occurred. I think 2 of the UConn OL and 1 DL were put out of that game due to injuries. And that was where the biggest speed advantage was. Their front 7 on D were just so much faster.

Funny you compare those 2 games, as UConn's QB gave UNC some bulletin board material by saying "We're not intimidated, it's North Carolina, it's not like we're playing Oklahoma" or something to that effect. That quote was mentioned several times by UNC players throughout the game.

Benton started the second half, and started the next four games. Lyndon Johnson tore something in one of his knees against Carolina.

Reaction Score
Interesting you mention the speed in the trenches. That's always been the major difference in overall competition levels. The size and speed where the big men play.

No different in 1990 playing UNC, than it was in 2002 playing Miami. By 2010 vs. Oklahoma, the difference on the field was away from the trenches.

Both squads, 1990 and 2002, had QB's that would be selected in the NFL draft.

Reaction Score
Both squads, 1990 and 2002, had QB's that would be selected in the NFL draft.
Degenerro (sp?) was accurate, could read a defense, could move in the pocket to make plays, and had a high football IQ, but he had nowhere near the arm strength to be an NFL QB. He didnt get a look in '90 and wouldn't get a sniff now. No disrespect, the guy knew how to win, but he was too short and lacked the arm to throw the out pattern in the NFL.

Reaction Score
Carl, may have misread your post, apologies. I thought you were referring to Matt being drafted if he were playing today, but you were talking about Cornelius. My bad.

Reaction Score
Degenerro (sp?) was accurate, could read a defense, could move in the pocket to make plays, and had a high football IQ, but he had nowhere near the arm strength to be an NFL QB. He didnt get a look in '90 and wouldn't get a sniff now. No disrespect, the guy knew how to win, but he was too short and lacked the arm to throw the out pattern in the NFL.

Benton's the guy that got drafted, not DeGennaro, and trust me, DeGennaro knew that Benton was a better athlete, and knew he was pushing for his job. Corny is one of the best football players, and not just that, one of the best men, I've ever seen or known. He played the #2 role for for four straight years, pushed DeGennaro, and never broke rank or complained once, and DeGennaro got the job done until he graduated, and then Benton started his one full year and got taken by the Steelers. That's a QB competition, and that's a QB depth chart.

Corny could have started every year, and he almost transferred back to Florida after his freshmen year and a broken foot, but he got a red shirt and stuck it out. He was good enough to play at any time, but DeGennaro got to UConn a year earlier, and knew the offense better than Benton as a frosh, and kept getting the job done.

Reaction Score
Carl, may have misread your post, apologies. I thought you were referring to Matt being drafted if he were playing today, but you were talking about Cornelius. My bad.

Gotcha. Sorry for the rant.

Reaction Score
Interesting. I agree. Earl Blaik was never implicated at Army, but it's hard to believe he didn't know exactly what was going on, and the punishment fit the crime, IMO, as his own son was expelled among the other 83 cadets that were sent home, expelled from the academy, for cheating, all of them for actually telling the truth, and coming clean and admitting to "passing the poop." Army football has never fully recovered.

Never again, will a college athletic program advise it's constituents to tell the truth, get a lawyer and keep your mouth shut..... LOL

College sports is a dirty business at times. All you can do is maintain your own reputation by your own actions. Don't cheat.

UNC got off really easy. We'll see what happens to Miami.

Blaik had them in the top 20 a bunch of times after the scandal until he left for the private sector. He left them a top 5 program.

Reaction Score
Blaik had them in the top 20 a bunch of times after the scandal until he left for the private sector. He left them a top 5 program.

I'm not as old as people think I am. I wasn't there. :) Anyway, I know the Army teams prior to that time were regular national title competitors, heisman winner kind of players....I don't think they had that after they lost all those players in 1951.

What I do remember reading about how the punishment went down for that, is that the officer at West Point that made it so all 83 of those kids were expelled from the academy, was a real , control freak, insecure type of guy, hated football.......terrible officer, I don't trust anyone that's in charge of men going into some kind of combat that doesn't love football....

that guy ended up being the guy in command in Vietnam, prior to Westmoreland, and really ducked things up over there, according to what I've read. Not sure how accurate any of that is, if there are any folks around here that have more personal connections.

Reaction Score
Benton's the guy that got drafted, not DeGennaro, and trust me, DeGennaro knew that Benton was a better athlete, and knew he was pushing for his job. Corny is one of the best football players, and not just that, one of the best men, I've ever seen or known. He played the #2 role for for four straight years, pushed DeGennaro, and never broke rank or complained once, and DeGennaro got the job done until he graduated, and then Benton started his one full year and got taken by the Steelers. That's a QB competition, and that's a QB depth chart.

Corny could have started every year, and he almost transferred back to Florida after his freshmen year and a broken foot, but he got a red shirt and stuck it out. He was good enough to play at any time, but DeGennaro got to UConn a year earlier, and knew the offense better than Benton as a frosh, and kept getting the job done.
I like Corny a lot, good guy, but disagree that he could've started every year. Burnsy gave him every opportunity to win the job early, and even blew his redshirt (think it was at BU, not sure) his Freshman year. Had Burns not gone to Cinci, Corny may have started while Deg' was there. Burns actually tried to get Corny to transfer to UC, along w/ Robinson, Miller, and one other guy (forget who). Coach Collis always preferred Deg' as his guy. Matt had better intangibles, where Corny had the arm but lacked the touch. He got drafted on the potential given his arm strength, and he will tell you as much.

Both very good QB's though.

Reaction Score
I like Corny a lot, good guy, but disagree that he could've started every year. Burnsy gave him every opportunity to win the job early, and even blew his redshirt (think it was at BU, not sure) his Freshman year. Had Burns not gone to Cinci, Corny may have started while Deg' was there. Burns actually tried to get Corny to transfer to UC, along w/ Robinson, Miller, and one other guy (forget who). Coach Collis always preferred Deg' as his guy. Matt had better intangibles, where Corny had the arm but lacked the touch. He got drafted on the potential given his arm strength, and he will tell you as much.

Both very good QB's though.

Nice!!! Hello from across the internet.

Matt doesn't have any of the records if not for hearing Corny's footsteps. I believe that. Yup, he (Corny) didn't get the redshirt his freshman year, he got it after. (and btw: people around here couldn't possibly fathom how a coach might use a QB with talent as a freshman around here in competiting for a #1 position and burn the shirt, even though that QB might not end up playing at all, when you've got a big ? at the position....as if it never ever happened before in football before Nebrich came to UConn.....

.....Matt doesn't earn the job in a straight up competition, his knowledge of the offense, being one year ahead of Benton is what got him #1, and once he got it, he didn't give it up. Favortism by the coaches? maybe. But the team won games, he set records, and the depth chart was generating competitive, quality players. Something that our current coachign staff (another Joe Paterno product, like we had in the 80s), has been entirely focused on ramping on the competition in the depth charts.

The '86 recruiting class still holds the record for most wins over a 5 year period, over 2007 and over 1994. '86 also has two conference titles.

Correction - best winning % over a 5 year period, before anybody current has a hissy fit. 2007 class I believe has played more games due to different level of competition and scheduling, but has lower win %.

Different levels of competition, but football is still the same game.

Reaction Score
Yep, UConn was the little Yankee Conference School taking on the big boys. That's why it stings that as the program grew up, "little brother" still managed to lose both games to Carolina in '08 &'09. The loss at home was ridiculous. UConn was the better team that day. They just stopped attacking on offense and on defense, thereby permitting a momentum shift in the 'Heels' favor. 10-0 is not a lead you sit on unless you are under two minutes and have the ball. Even then . . .

Reaction Score
Yep, UConn was the little Yankee Conference School taking on the big boys. That's why it stings that as the program grew up, "little brother" still managed to lose both games to Carolina in '08 &'09. The loss at home was ridiculous. UConn was the better team that day. They just stopped attacking on offense and on defense, thereby permitting a momentum shift in the 'Heels' favor. 10-0 is not a lead you sit on unless you are under two minutes and have the ball. Even then . . .

THat game in '09 is when my last bit of patience with Randy Edsall as a football coach was gone. I'm glad it stings for you. It makes you want to see the game and be around it more. The stadium was electric that day. One of the few games we've had at home with a ranked opponent. We need to change that, and the easiest way to get home games with ranked opponents, is for us to be ranked.

Coach P be working on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01