UMass Lowell Analysis | The Boneyard

UMass Lowell Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

huskymagic

I don't think any of us expected much from this game, but our defense was atrocious to say the least. Some positives from this game were that Purvis and Omar are giving us solid minutes on the perimeter and playing solid defense.

Gibbs and Hamilton had very bad defensive efforts out there as well as most of the team including Jalen Adams. This proves that small lineup will not be effective, and shows how important Brimah is to this team. Brimah is irreplaceable on our team and we are very lucky and fortunate to have him. Gibbs is not going to work as point guard on this team. Jalen was very tentative and scared to step on toes when out there today which is why he played awful. He and Gibbs can't coexist together, and the sooner Adams starts with Purvis, the better we will be. Enoch is a good offensive players, but despite his size, does not rebound and does not defend his position or his man. He needs to defend better, and alter shots especially against UMass Lowell players who were 6'2-6'3.

Omar deserves more minutes, and should get more of Gibbs minutes as well.

Lineup: Jalen, Purvis, Hamilton, Miller, Brimah.
Bench: Omar, Sterling, Facey, Enoch

Reaction Score
Jalen - 24 minutes/2 points 3 assists and 3 TO's

That's a good excuse scared to step on his toes. How do you even have the balls to post anything as dumb as you are? We all like Jalen and know how damn good he's going to be but today was not a good example. And obviously there's never a good day for any example from you!

Quite the "analysis". I was going to analyze some things that I saw today but damn you nailed it.

Reaction Score
Jalen - 24 minutes/2 points 3 assists and 3 TO's

That's a good excuse scared to step on his toes. How do you even have the balls to post anything as dumb as you are? We all like Jalen and know how damn good he's going to be but today was not a good example. And obviously there's never a good day for any example from you!

Quite the "analysis". I was going to analyze some things that I saw today but damn you nailed it.
Can't you just make a point instead of being a condescending pr!ck? Who made you master of this board? I'm breaking out the ignore button, my god

Reaction Score
I don't think any of us expected much from this game, but our defense was atrocious to say the least. Some positives from this game were that Purvis and Omar are giving us solid minutes on the perimeter and playing solid defense.

Gibbs and Hamilton had very bad defensive efforts out there as well as most of the team including Jalen Adams. This proves that small lineup will not be effective, and shows how important Brimah is to this team. Brimah is irreplaceable on our team and we are very lucky and fortunate to have him. Gibbs is not going to work as point guard on this team. Jalen was very tentative and scared to step on toes when out there today which is why he played awful. He and Gibbs can't coexist together, and the sooner Adams starts with Purvis, the better we will be. Enoch is a good offensive players, but despite his size, does not rebound and does not defend his position or his man. He needs to defend better, and alter shots especially against UMass Lowell players who were 6'2-6'3.

I think the key to dealing w mauconnfan below, who seems to have a hard-on for you for some reason, is the ignore button. He is only the 2nd person I'm using it on, after one Frank Ivy....great company you're in there mau

Reaction Score
One would think that if Gantz their big shoots 3's and he went 4-8, that our coaches would scout and point that out to whoever guards him should kind of cover rather than retreating to the rim. Who was guarding him? Different times Nolan and Miller just abandoned him. Thomas is the kind of all purpose player 6'2" 220 solid with footwork, toughness, strength and moves that is valuable. The kid is a player and really impressed me. All in all with AB gone there was some disruption and rust which was expected but this team's defense has major lapses at times which is worrisome.

Reaction Score
Wow, really? Gees, a mind reader. Taking ten toes to the next level. Stepping in toes!

Reaction Score
Jalen is a freshman. He will have his good flashes and his bad flashes (today). Keep him as a weapon off the bench. Enough with this banter, Gibbs is our starting PG. And who the hell cares as long as Adams gets 25+ minutes. We have slow starts no matter who is on the damn court for some reason.

Reaction Score

LOL! JA should start based on what? He had 2 pts. and 2 assists and 3 TO's. He is still learning the game but isn't totally ready for prime time. Yes, SG makes some boneheaded plays going 1 against 4 or lazy passes but he is still a Sr. and a good offensive player.

Our problem today was more on the defense. We have nightmares trying to cover mobile big men. I mean KF, PN and SM were awful getting out to the UMASS big men when they tried 3's. We just can't cover teams that have mobile big men even with AB in there. Just a horrible matchup expounded upon bad rotational defense. Too many open 3's all together. AB would had helped inside but he still isn't going to cover teams outside. We have to get better rotating on the shooters and our bigs need to stay on the the other teams mobile front court men when they go outside. SM is sleepwalking out there on defense.

Reaction Score
I think the key to dealing w mauconnfan below, who seems to have a hard-on for you for some reason, is the ignore button. He is only the 2nd person I'm using it on, after one Frank Ivy....great company you're in there mau

Kinda like Ivy rather than magic man gb, I'm good!;) Thanks you're alright.

Reaction Score
Frank Ivy changes his name regularly. He is still around.

Reaction Score
Time to put some serious practice time into experimenting with different zone defenses as a "Plan B". I thought our man defense was horrible against Maryland, but some of it could be excused by their excellent offensive talent. UM-L is a middling America East team and to see our struggles today makes me nervous. "I wouldn't want to be at practice tomorrow" isn't a serious remedy to our defensive woes.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score

Actually I don't care who gets the nod for the starting 5. More importantly the 3 point defense is atrocious. That kid number 11 seemed to bomb threes at will. Honestly I did not see the box score yet, but this kid seemed to keep them in the game. Last couple of minutes they came within 9? You think maybe somebody should of noticed? Saw this same defense in Atlantis. Please KO do something.

Reaction Score
He and Gibbs can't coexist together, and the sooner Adams starts with Purvis, the better we will be.

anigif_enhanced-3191-1392750534-16.gif

Reaction Score
I don't think there is much to take away from yesterday's game at all. We played down to the competition and the game felt sort of silly until 3 min to go.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
This team will be a force come late January. They'll finally learn how to slide their feet on defense and not using their hands.

Reaction Score
UCONN shot 64% from the field and ONLY won by 9 pts. Its their defense that is the biggest problem!! UMASS Lowell shot 50 %.
Until they learn to play defense they will be an average team.

Reaction Score
I don't think there is much to take away from yesterday's game at all. We played down to the competition and the game felt sort of silly until 3 min to go.

Only real takeaway was the need for better or any defensive communication. G Miller said the players will remember defensive concepts much better at noon today.

Reaction Score
Actually I don't care who gets the nod for the starting 5. More importantly the 3 point defense is atrocious. That kid number 11 seemed to bomb threes at will. Honestly I did not see the box score yet, but this kid seemed to keep them in the game. Last couple of minutes they came within 9? You think maybe somebody should of noticed? Saw this same defense in Atlantis. Please KO do something.

A telling stat in my opinion relating to the UConn defense (or lack thereof) is 3PA%/Defense (per Kenpom). Our rank is #329. For those that believe in this stat like I do it tells the story of ineptitude on the defensive end. We are one of the worse teams defending the perimeter in the country. On any given day we can get torched by a high volume good shooting team. This has to change soon or we will be in BIG trouble.

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Can't you just make a point instead of being a condescending pr!ck? Who made you master of this board? I'm breaking out the ignore button, my god
If you feel that upset about someone's reactions/replies, by all means stick them on ignore.
I did it to one person and my life on the board is much more pleasant
Mau is not your worse enemy - in fact i rather enjoy some of his comments
His reply to a ridiculous statement about JA was, in my mind, more than justified
If you don't think so, ignore me, ignore Mau - nobody cares

H

huskymagic

LOL! JA should start based on what? He had 2 pts. and 2 assists and 3 TO's. He is still learning the game but isn't totally ready for prime time. Yes, SG makes some boneheaded plays going 1 against 4 or lazy passes but he is still a Sr. and a good offensive player.

Our problem today was more on the defense. We have nightmares trying to cover mobile big men. I mean KF, PN and SM were awful getting out to the UMASS big men when they tried 3's. We just can't cover teams that have mobile big men even with AB in there. Just a horrible matchup expounded upon bad rotational defense. Too many open 3's all together. AB would had helped inside but he still isn't going to cover teams outside. We have to get better rotating on the shooters and our bigs need to stay on the the other teams mobile front court men when they go outside. SM is sleepwalking out there on defense.

Based on talent, team chemistry and fit. The revisionism after one game doesn't mean anything, I look at the entire player and body of work. We can all cherry pick games like I can Ohio State game or Maryland. My tune has been consistent from day 1 for Adams starting. Sterling is a not point guard and the longer he starts the less effective we will be in the long run. Being the "man" at Seton Hall means nothing and he hasn't shown much of anything so far. As a fifth year player, he is what he is, Jalen has upside. We need mental toughness, defense, and pass first point guard, not more offense. Offense isn't an issue as you can win scoring only 60 points as long as your defense is solid. You cannot have multiple zeroes on defense playing at the same time. Gibbs needs to be on the bench and earn his spot back if he can through defense, hustle, and bringing energy, which he currently is doing none of the above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom