UMass Football's Turn: Agenda for upcoming Faculty Senate Mtg again calls for end of FBS football | The Boneyard

UMass Football's Turn: Agenda for upcoming Faculty Senate Mtg again calls for end of FBS football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Football Scoop: And now UMass faculty leaders are calling for the school to drop out of FBS

Revised agenda for upcoming UMass Faculty Senate meeting again calls for end of FBS football

>>On Thursday, the Faculty Senate will meet in Herter Hall on campus for its second-to-last session of the spring semester. Included on the revised agenda for the meeting is a motion to "urge Chancellor Subbaswamy, President Meehan, and the Board of Trustees of the University to end Division I football (Football Bowl Subdivision) at the University of Massachusetts Amherst and either move to a different division or discontinue NCAA football altogether."<<

Reaction Score
image.jpeg

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
UMass and New Mexico St. will be the next two FBS>FCS moves, and I suspect there will be more.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
And yet folks here still clamor for a series with them and for them to be let in our purgatory conference. Doofuses

Reaction Score
While a case may be made financially for UMass to kill football, the UMass faculty senate, which thinks its Harvard or Amherst, has been trying to kill football at UMass before UMass even had a football team and they have only ramped-up the pressure since BU and then Northeastern killed their respective football programs.

Reaction Score
The Notre Damw Faculty Senate wanted UND to join the B1G. So that tells you what sort of influence faculty have on these decisions. None.

Reaction Score
UMass is not dropping to FCS.

The 'faculty senate' has as much say in things as I do.

You are correct that the faculty senate doesn't have the power to drop football. But, UMass football is in a tough bind. Attendance issues? Yup, averaged 11,123 per game last year which is below FBS requirements. Conference issues? Yup, they don't have a football conference.

Unless UMass gets into a conference for football soon, they will have no choice but to drop down to FCS. And, I don't see why the AAC would be interested in adding UMass, so ....

Reaction Score
The Notre Damw Faculty Senate wanted UND to join the B1G. So that tells you what sort of influence faculty have on these decisions. None.
They still want us too.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Rutgers' faculty has been trying to kill RU athletics for a third of a century - they're still trying.

It's like the shift managers at McDonald's deciding that they don't want to sell hamburgers anymore.

No one is listening to the hired help.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Rutgers' faculty has been trying to kill RU athletics for a third of a century - they're still trying.

It's like the shift managers at McDonald's deciding that they don't want to sell hamburgers anymore.

Breakfast-All-Day-II-1110x600.png

Reaction Score
None of these college faculty senates would ever suggest their school consider dropping one or more of their school's women sports. Talk about a career killer for any male faculty member that would suggest THAT. Wouldn't matter if that women's sport might be burning cash left and right either.

Reaction Score
None of these college faculty senates would ever suggest their school consider dropping one or more of their school's women sports. Talk about a career killer for any male faculty member that would suggest THAT. Wouldn't matter if that women's sport might be burning cash left and right either.

You can argue that women's sports burn cash because they are forced to compete in geographically inconvenient conferences in sports that typically produce no revenue, that their football programs make it necessary for them to participate in.

But sure, argle bargle SEXISM argle bargle MEN'S RIGHTS.

Reaction Score

Besides Rutgers Athletics is doing a pretty good job of it on its own!

Reaction Score
UMass Faculty Senate votes against sponsoring a motion supporting the discontinuation of the University’s football program

>>University of Massachusetts faculty senators voted to defeat a motion that would have encouraged UMass administrators to discontinue Division I football at the University on Thursday. The vote followed a heated discussion about the motion among faculty, administrators and students.

The motion, which was defeated by a vote of 26-14, would have urged Chancellor Kumble Subbaswamy, UMass system President Marty Meehan and the University’s Board of Trustees to discontinue Division I football, and move the program to a different division or discontinue it altogether.<<

>>Frank Hugus, a professor of German and Scandinavian studies at UMass, supported the motion.“My concern here is that we are in over our heads,” said Hugus. He added that other universities with Division I football programs had more resources and stronger football traditions that help them consistently win over UMass football.

“But what concerns me most is that I read the stories in the press about Division I football players who have been accused of rape and sexual assault,” said Hugus. “I don’t want to see that kind of behavior come to campus.”<<

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Prof Hugus.... Thanks Medic for the research. That guy sounds like a prof. Whose classes kids are clamoring for. He needs to be rolled

Reaction Score

I bet she doesn't like sports. Cakes and donuts, yes, but not sports.

Reaction Score
The faculty has been trying to kill football at UMASS ever since they bumped up to FBS. This is probably becoming an annual tradition there.

Reaction Score
The faculty at UMass has been trying to kill sports, period since they came on campus. They think *they're* the ones who should be getting the dough.

Anyway, I know Bamford pretty well and most of the higher ups there. FBS isn't going anywhere. Especially considering they've pretty much completely reshuffled their athletic department to try to make it sustainable.

Reaction Score
I bet she doesn't like sports. Cakes and donuts, yes, but not sports.

I admire her. Good for her. Assuming of course she's talking over a racist.

Reaction Score
The faculty at UMass has been trying to kill sports, period since they came on campus. They think *they're* the ones who should be getting the dough.

Anyway, I know Bamford pretty well and most of the higher ups there. FBS isn't going anywhere. Especially considering they've pretty much completely reshuffled their athletic department to try to make it sustainable.

Academics should be getting the dough.

The thing about academic governance at most universities is that the schools, colleges, departments are divvied up. So academics has no purview over athletics except at the Provost's level. But faculty senates do have a say in most things. Why? Because Senate votes are taken into account by committees (which are all made up of faculty). All decisions must be approved. The real power comes with $$ disbursement. This is where faculty lose power. So, big decisions can be made, but you need monetary support at the administrative level to do it.

Reaction Score
I admire her. Good for her. Assuming of course she's talking over a racist.
So you are ok with denying free speech and disrupting open discussions? You are a nice guy so I suspect this is a bit of a knee jerk response based in dualistic thinking. Here is how I see this. An event being held at a fixed location for the purpose of a speaker to address a large gathered crowd should not be disrupted unless that speaker is inciting a riot with the purpose of causing immediate physical harm to another person or group of people. Being a racist or bigot doesn't count no matter how much it hurts your feelings to hear them. Even if you feel that their words and opinions are "dangerous", they are still only words. If discussions are kept open, irrational opinions will never prevail.

The bottom line is that events like this can't be moved as soon as some loon in the audience decides to deny the speaker their rights. The offended, on the other hand, can leave and protest nearby according to the current laws. By this point you probably assume I am a trumpster. I am not. It saddens me that he won by a landslide in the state in which we both reside. However, the disruptive protests designed to shut down his rallies are not what this country is all about. Let him talk about his wall and deportation policies. Then let an opponent respond either in the media or in a counter-rally. Then, and only then, will true progress be made. If you squelch voices you don't agree with, you will only create resentment and anger. In fact, the whole trump phenomenon is based on anger and resentment. The country has gone insane.

Reaction Score
So you are ok with denying free speech and disrupting open discussions? You are a nice guy so I suspect this is a bit of a knee jerk response based in dualistic thinking. Here is how I see this. An event being held at a fixed location for the purpose of a speaker to address a large gathered crowd should not be disrupted unless that speaker is inciting a riot with the purpose of causing immediate physical harm to another person or group of people. Being a racist or bigot doesn't count no matter how much it hurts your feelings to hear them. Even if you feel that their words and opinions are "dangerous", they are still only words. If discussions are kept open, irrational opinions will never prevail.

The bottom line is that events like this can't be moved as soon as some loon in the audience decides to deny the speaker their rights. The offended, on the other hand, can leave and protest nearby according to the current laws. By this point you probably assume I am a trumpster. I am not. It saddens me that he won by a landslide in the state in which we both reside. However, the disruptive protests designed to shut down his rallies are not what this country is all about. Let him talk about his wall and deportation policies. Then let an opponent respond either in the media or in a counter-rally. Then, and only then, will true progress be made. If you squelch voices you don't agree with, you will only create resentment and anger. In fact, the whole trump phenomenon is based on anger and resentment. The country has gone insane.

I have no interest in having discussions with racists. Is this at a university? I'm assuming it is because of the topic of a thread. Sometimes things get approved that shouldn't be approved. Racists have every right to free speech. Doesn't mean they should be paid for it by student funds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom