UMass Football's Turn: Agenda for upcoming Faculty Senate Mtg again calls for end of FBS football | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UMass Football's Turn: Agenda for upcoming Faculty Senate Mtg again calls for end of FBS football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have no interest in having discussions with racists. Is this at a university? I'm assuming it is because of the topic of a thread. Sometimes things get approved that shouldn't be approved. Racists have every right to free speech. Doesn't mean they should be paid for it by student funds.
If you don't want to have a discussion then don't go to the event. It sounds like you don't want people you disagree with to be allowed to speak. That is very different. It is not productive or progressive. First, who gets to decide what is allowed? And if racist speech is not allowed, who decides what is racist? Not everyone agrees that any given opinion is racist. It is a little arrogant to assume one's conclusions are the correct one and that everyone should agree. Second, why shouldn't the university allow a conservative organization invite a controversial, potentially racist, speaker? Isn't open discussion and the pursuit of knowledge what higher education is all about? You can't know a person unless you let them speak. You call trump's opinions racist. Others might call pro-abortion opinions homicidal. Be careful about allowing popular opinion to empower a government or even a university admistration to deny a person's right to voice an unpopular opinion. What works in your favor today could bite you in the arse tomorrow. Such thinking actually enables facism to flourish. We are one more 9/11 event from an even more destructive patriot act, for example. Only light can drive out darkness, not more darkness.

Reaction Score
If you don't want to have a discussion then don't go to the event. It sounds like you don't want people you disagree with to be allowed to speak. That is very different. It is not productive or progressive. First, who gets to decide what is allowed? And if racist speech is not allowed, who decides what is racist? Not everyone agrees that any given opinion is racist. It is a little arrogant to assume one's conclusions are the correct one and that everyone should agree. Second, why shouldn't the university allow a conservative organization invite a controversial, potentially racist, speaker? Isn't open discussion and the pursuit of knowledge what higher education is all about? You can't know a person unless you let them speak. You call trump's opinions racist. Others might call pro-abortion opinions homicidal. Be careful about allowing popular opinion to empower a government or even a university admistration to deny a person's right to voice an unpopular opinion. What works in your favor today could bite you in the arse tomorrow. Such thinking actually enables facism to flourish. We are one more 9/11 event from an even more destructive patriot act, for example. Only light can drive out darkness, not more darkness.

The KKK has absolute free speech rights. That doesn't mean universities should invite the KKK to speak. Heck, people have lost their jobs over racist speech. It should not be condoned at all at universities.

Reaction Score
The KKK has absolute free speech rights. That doesn't mean universities should invite the KKK to speak. Heck, people have lost their jobs over racist speech. It should not be condoned at all at universities.
That is your opinion. You see that, don't you? Some might disagree. A representative of the KKK should be allowed to speak at a university, in my opinion. Let them speak and then let people oppose their views when the floor is opened for questions and comments. Again, if both sides are allowed to speak, people will gravitate toward the rational and productive side. If, however, once side is silenced, mocked, ridiculed or bullied in any way, those who might have agreed with that side will become more angry and resentful and will be even more supportive of it.

Reaction Score
That is your opinion. You see that, don't you? Some might disagree. A representative of the KKK should be allowed to speak at a university, in my opinion. Let them speak and then let people oppose their views when the floor is opened for questions and comments. Again, if both sides are allowed to speak, people will gravitate toward the rational and productive side. If, however, once side is silenced, mocked, ridiculed or bullied in any way, those who might have agreed with that side will become more angry and resentful and will be even more supportive of it.

Both sides of what? Racism?

Reaction Score
Both sides of what? Racism?
Yes, among other passionately debated topics. You say that like it is crazy. I would venture to guess that you see more racism in the world than I do and I probably see more than a lot of the trump voters do. If it is as prevalent as you see it, clearly many support those racist viewpoints and there is more work to do. Why not let them voice those opinions? The only hope you have of pulling people into the light is to expose the dark side and present a rational alternative. If you ignore it by not allowing it to be discussed or, worse, you mock and ridicule people for their current beliefs, you have no hope of progress. And, again, keep in mind that what you might consider racist, others might consider not racist at all. For example, do you think calling for deportation of illegal aliens is racist? How about requiring an ID to vote? I mean, sure, a lynch mob in 1950 Mississippi is clearly racist but voter ID? There are reasonable arguments on both sides of voter ID and wanting to end voter fraud does not make one racist, in my mind. In your mind, maybe it does. I don't think deporting illegal aliens is racist but I also don't think it is the answer to our current illegal immigration issue either. I see that as a very complicated situation with good points on both sides. I will say this. If you play the "racist" and "bigot" card constantly, it will only steel the resolve of those who blindly support trump.

Reaction Score
Yes, among other passionately debated topics. You say that like it is crazy. I would venture to guess that you see more racism in the world than I do and I probably see more than a lot of the trump voters do. If it is as prevalent as you see it, clearly many support those racist viewpoints and there is more work to do. Why not let them voice those opinions? The only hope you have of pulling people into the light is to expose the dark side and present a rational alternative. If you ignore it by not allowing it to be discussed or, worse, you mock and ridicule people for their current beliefs, you have no hope of progress. And, again, keep in mind that what you might consider racist, others might consider not racist at all. For example, do you think calling for deportation of illegal aliens is racist? How about requiring an ID to vote? I mean, sure, a lynch mob in 1950 Mississippi is clearly racist but voter ID? There are reasonable arguments on both sides of voter ID and wanting to end voter fraud does not make one racist, in my mind. In your mind, maybe it does. I don't think deporting illegal aliens is racist but I also don't think it is the answer to our current illegal immigration issue either. I see that as a very complicated situation with good points on both sides. I will say this. If you play the "racist" and "bigot" card constantly, it will only steel the resolve of those who blindly support trump.

... and this has what to do w/ UMass Athletics?

Reaction Score

No one prevents them from voicing their opinions.

Reaction Score
No one prevents them from voicing their opinions.
Were you not just advocating not allowing people whose opinions YOU deem racist to speak on the campus of a federally funded university? Perhaps I misunderstood...

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Most liberals only believe in free speech if you are spewing liberal rhetoric. Otherwise liberals don't believe in freedom of speech.

I could easily say the same thing about conservatives.

Reaction Score
Were you not just advocating not allowing people whose opinions YOU deem racist to speak on the campus of a federally funded university? Perhaps I misunderstood...

The video you showed was for a campus speaking series.

That's very different than merely speaking. But, in fact, I should point out that while I defend someone's right to hate speech on a college campus, the actual campus codes are different for students. Students will be in violation of code for hate speech. They can't be arrested for it, but they can be expelled.

Reaction Score
Most liberals only believe in free speech if you are spewing liberal rhetoric. Otherwise liberals don't believe in freedom of speech.

Not being racist is liberal rhetoric now.

Reaction Score
Jerry Falwell taught that Muslims are demonic. His school has FBS aspirations.

Reaction Score
If mental gymnastics were in the Olympics, you would have won a gold medal for this statement.

Uh-huh. We are talking hate speech, are we not?

Reaction Score
The cry of "racist" is a complete conversation stopper....and is often used as such. But racism is always defined by the cryer.

Sure we have folks who say racist things...from Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson (shall we forget his referring to New York as Hymie Town?)...to Jimmie the Greek, to Dan Rather, to Obama to Trump.

But sometimes folks sound racist for representing the special interests of their group...like Al Sharpton and Jesse or even Obama...but not called out like someone who is white, male, and "privileged", and is also representing the interests of his particular group.

If a white man had opined that someone was "a typical Black person"....they would have been pilloried. Obama uttering that sentiment about someone being a typical white person was not generally taken as a racist comment.

The truth in America is that a minority group may not be called racist....while a majority group will be.

To have a Black Miss America, a Black Caucus, a Black Entertainers Award, a Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, etc...is not considered racist. Because it is considered to be supportive. A similar group for a majority would be considered to be excluding and thus racist.

But all in all, the call of "racist" is now often used to shut conversation down, or to advance an agenda.

"Tainting the tea party movement with the charge of racism is proving to be an effective strategy for Democrats. There is no evidence that tea party adherents are any more racist than other Republicans, and indeed many other Americans. But getting them to spend their time purging their ranks and having candidates distance themselves should help Democrats win in November. Having one’s opponent rebut charges of racism is far better than discussing joblessness." -- Mary Frances Berry, former Chairwoman, US Commission on Civil Rights

Reaction Score
LMAO

NoEscalators 7:23pm via Twitter for Android
34 posts to go from UMass dropping football to this. You outdid yourself Boneyard.
CaQVQzUWwAAKv15.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger