UCONN's Future | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UCONN's Future

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Now let's pretend the student, who is there for 3-5 years, and believes that not being able to park a car on a lawn he doesn't own is a violation of his civil liberties, just told you to . Because that's reasonable discourse.

Yeah, Herbst sucks for not sticking up for these entitled brats.

You obviously don't understand renters rights and you don't realize that owners of rental properties hate the town.

Reaction Score
You obviously don't understand renters rights and you don't realize that owners of rental properties hate the town.

That's funny, cause you obviously have no idea who I am and what I do for a living. I wonder if it ever dawned on you that the owners of the rental properties are a minority of property owners in the town? But yes, I'm stunned that property owners would be upset at not being able to cram more people into houses in order to boost their income. :rolleyes:

The fact you won't answer my question about the grand list with specifics, which is as easy as a google search, is very telling.

Reaction Score
Is it in any way possible that maybe Herbst and the University don't want to increase the number of students living off campus and driving to school? We're talking about increasing the number of college kids, many of whom will be drinking 2-3 nights a week, driving to/from campus.

I honestly don't know if it's the case, but it is entirely possible that UConn pressures the town to keep off campus housing to a minimum for a number of reasons.

Reaction Score
Is it in any way possible that maybe Herbst and the University don't want to increase the number of students living off campus and driving to school? We're talking about increasing the number of college kids, many of whom will be drinking 2-3 nights a week, driving to/from campus.

I honestly don't know if it's the case, but it is entirely possible that UConn pressures the town to keep off campus housing to a minimum for a number of reasons.

Entirely possible. More money for the school, less issues with calling in snow days/inclement weather, possible less incidents of drunk driving, etc. Granted, drunk driving is not nearly as prevalent as it once was. Students luckily have more options in regards to sober drivers than ever before and they aren't like their parents who drove drunk regularly.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
A 15 bedroom house can only rent to 3 persons, in effect driving up rental costs to discourage rentals.
I'm curious as to how many 15 bedroom homes they have in Mansfield and of that subset, how many are marketed as rental property.

Town Property owners who rent to students agree with me... Rented for 2 years, they hate the town ordinances that prevent them from renting their 4-5 bedroom houses to more than 3 people.
15 bedroom homes aside, I would like to know how many4-5 bedroom homes they have in town and what the ownership of those which are on the rental market is.

I have been a vocal opponent of the Nimbys in Mansfield since I would guess years before you were born and I spent a small part of my professional career building pricing models on rental properties (to determine where my then company should and should not buy). That said, I imagine that a good portion of those who own the rental property and are against the ordinance of no more than three do not live in town. I can see how those who do live there would have a different view than those who are merely attempting to profit from the landscape.

Reaction Score
I'm curious as to how many 15 bedroom homes they have in Mansfield and of that subset, how many are marketed as rental property.

15 bedroom homes aside, I would like to know how many4-5 bedroom homes they have in town and what the ownership of those which are on the rental market is.

I have been a vocal opponent of the Nimbys in Mansfield since I would guess years before you were born and I spent a small part of my professional career building pricing models on rental properties (to determine where my then company should and should not buy). That said, I imagine that a good portion of those who own the rental property and are against the ordinance of no more than three do not live in town. I can see how those who do live there would have a different view than those who are merely attempting to profit from the landscape.

Obviously the 15 is a number used as an exercise, but we attempted to rent an 8 bedroom and the landlord said it would have to be "off the books" due to the ordinance, so there are instances. I know of multiple homes on Hunting Lodge that had 4-5 bedrooms that were only permitted to rent to 3 or 4 depending upon how they were grandfathered in. Storrs center only has 3 bedrooms because of the ordinance, etc.

Reaction Score
Mick,OK, I understand that rental owners may not be thrilled with Town restrictions, but I guess if you were an adjacent non-rental property owner you'd'd want the Town to protect your property values and serenity against a "greedy" rental property owner who stuffs his place with too many folks whose cars end up on lawns causing an unsightly mess.
Put yourself in that guy's shoes.

Reaction Score
Mick,OK, I understand that rental owners may not be thrilled with Town restrictions, but I guess if you were an adjacent non-rental property owner you'd'd want the Town to protect your property values and serenity against a "greedy" rental property owner who stuffs his place with too many folks whose cars end up on lawns causing an unsightly mess.
Put yourself in that guy's shoes.

I'm sorry but I can't. Look at all of the benefits driven by UCONN. EO smith students get to take UCONN classes. There are dozens of restaurants in the town. There are always activities going on. Look at all the jobs that are created. These things are all driven by the University.

Mansfield should look at Burlington. They treat the students like royalty because they understand the benefits.

Reaction Score
Wait till JMick becomes a homeowner someday. I'm sure his "everyone should be able to stack people up like cordwood and park all over the grass" point of view will change when someone tries to do it on his street.

Off campus is off campus for a reason. To escape the rules of the school only to get irritated when the school isn't out there fighting for your rights seems a bit off to me.

The school has spent a fortune upgrading and building new dorms including apts that we would have killed for in 1989. Living off campus is optional. To expect the school to fight for your rights is unrealistic.

Reaction Score
Wait till JMick becomes a homeowner someday. I'm sure his "everyone should be able to stack people up like cordwood and park all over the grass" point of view will change when someone tries to do it on his street.

Off campus is off campus for a reason. To escape the rules of the school only to get irritated when the school isn't out there fighting for your rights seems a bit off to me.

The school has spent a fortune upgrading and building new dorms including apts that we would have killed for in 1989. Living off campus is optional. To expect the school to fight for your rights is unrealistic.

Living on campus for many is not an option. Housing is not guaranteed if you've ever been off campus or are a transfer student. Late acceptees also do not have guaranteed on-campus living situations so that is plain false.

The school should look out for its students whether they be on or off campus.

In regards to "being a home owner" I'm not stupid enough to buy a house less than a mile off campus of the biggest University in a given state and then be surprised that there are students walking around at night during the weekend. I'm sorry, that's not a homeowner issue, that's a stupidity issue. Those people purchased those homes at a discounted rate due to the proximity to the campus and they need to live with the fact that students will be prevalent.

edit: not to mention the costs associated with living on campus. Exorbitantly overpriced compared to off-campus living. Most of you went to school at a time where you could work a summer job to pay tuition and housing. Not the case anymore.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There are just as many negatives driven by UConn for many residents as there are positives. You refuse to acknowledge them and show empathy for those people who are paying taxes in that town and have every right to push their legislature to pass the ordinances they want. Just because you disagree with them. So they don't have rights because "they're stupid".

To your credit you at least acknowledge the possibility that UConn has legitimate reasons to support (even encourage) the town to dissuade off campus housing, and yet your main complaint is that the President of UConn isn't standing arm in arm with the "oppressed students" and wanna be slumlords.

Oh the irony.

Reaction Score
There are just as many negatives driven by UConn for many residents as there are positives. You refuse to acknowledge them and show empathy for those people who are paying taxes in that town and have every right to push their legislature to pass the ordinances they want.

To your credit you at least acknowledge the possibility that UConn has legitimate reasons to support (even encourage) the town to dissuade off campus housing, and yet your main complaint is that the President of UConn isn't standing arm in arm with the "oppressed students" and wanna be slumlords.

Oh the irony.

Residents don't have to be homeowners within the town. Many students at UCONN have to live off campus.

The Mansfield residents are simple-minded entitled simple-folk. No ifs ands or but's about it.

Students will always be there. The old out of touch Baby Boomers and NIMBY's will finally die off and be gone eventually but UCONN will be there long after as they have been here long before.

Reaction Score
Residents don't have to be homeowners within the town. Many students at UCONN have to live off campus.

The Mansfield residents are simple-minded entitled simple-folk. No ifs ands or but's about it.

NONE of the students at UConn have to be students at UConn.

The Uconn students are pseudo-enlightened entitled brats. No ifs and or buts about it.

(see how easy that is)

Reaction Score
NONE of the students at UConn have to be students at UConn.

The Uconn students are pseudo-enlightened entitled brats. No ifs and or buts about it.

(see how easy that is)

Education is more important than entitled baby boomers and NIMBYs. They screwed up enough where most people I know won't own a house until we're 50 anyway so might as well push the renters down as hard as we can.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Education is more important than entitled baby boomers and NIMBYs.
Those entitled baby boomers and NIMBYs subsidized your education at UConn. They helped pay for UConn 2000, the $2+ BILLION investment by the state, regardless of whether or not they supported the push to grow UConn.

But you could have gotten an education at one of the other 3,000+/- 4 year schools in the country.

What part of "education" requires parking on lawns? You bring up the importance of "education" while complaining about things that literally have nothing to do with the quality of education? While calling other people "entitled"? Just wow.

Last edited:

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I'm 2 years removed from graduating. I was there when Herbst got there. I have friends on campus still and they still feel similarly. My thoughts on her haven't changed.

I'm not arguing her merits. I'm just saying she's unliked by students and many recent alum.

Listen fellow 2014 grad. Please do not speak on behalf of us because you don't represent us. I've read through everything you posted and most of it has been so entitled its ridiculous. The Town of Mansfield relations with UConn isn't terrible not sure where you made that up from. I also rented when I lived at UConn and yes its annoying that you can't have houses of 3+ last names on the same lease but guess what it's like that in many towns in the north east. Why do you think north east greek life pales in comparison to Southern greek life. In other words that ordinance isn't specific to just Mansfield but many towns in CT and New England have similar ordinances.

As to your point Herbst yes her handling of race relations hasn't been great, but as many people have tried to explain it is literally not within her scope to deal with that. It's really the office of the provost who actually runs the operations of the school who should be dealing with these matters. Presidents of colleges are largely just figure heads.

Your point about "Many people you know won't own homes" is ridiculous for a few reasons. There is literally no reason to get a degree in art because at the end of the day you aren't employable and thats what matters in America today. I know many UConn grads none of which will have any trouble buying a home later on in life. Lastly, this idea that Herbst needs to focus on other majors is really ridiculous at the end of the day UConn is a research institution, not a LAC school, and Herbst is being paid to do whatever she can to improve that standing. While I don't like everything she has done while we were at UConn there is little argument that she is absolutely improving the value of the piece of paper we paid 10s of thousands of dollars for.

Last edited:

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Right, wrong or indifferent, you can't change how people feel.
There are numerous methods of changing how people feel, most reserved for matters more important than this.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm a dual-degree alum of CLAS and let me tell you that STEM should be 140% Herbst's focus.

I'd go further. I'd make liberal arts majors ineligible for any federal student aid or subsidized loans, and boost the aid to STEM students. If you want help from the government, do something that is useful to society and not likely to land you a job at Denny's you could handle as a high school dropout.

I'm pretty appalled by the attitude of entitlement I've seen. It really does remind me of Mac & Cheese guy. If you are a college student, nobody owes you jack. You aren't entitled to be comfortable or for anything to be easy. Complaining about sensible town ordinances like those in most places and thinking Herbst should somehow do something about them...nuts.

Reaction Score
You laugh - I once heard a notable former UConn President who shall remain nameless share the best advice he received upon taking the job, from another university president: "you will succeed if you provide football tickets for the alumni, parking for the faculty and sex for the students." True story.
This was not a former president, it was an underling.

And the quote is a successful university "has sex for the students, sports for the alumni and parking for the staff."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom