UConn's Dynasty is Over! Over, he says! | The Boneyard

UConn's Dynasty is Over! Over, he says!

Reaction Score
Forgive me for picking this link up by lurking on another board, but this piece from last April is just too juicy to pass up.

One of the Most Dominant Runs in Sports History Is Almost Over

So many good things (mostly very positive), but some pretty bad predictions. Here's one:

At the moment, it’s looking like the post-Stewart era might be something in between, featuring teams that contend but are a far cry from the dominant squads people have come to expect from UConn. The next Huskies superstar in the line of Taurasi, Moore, and Stewart isn’t on the horizon. If such a player exists, it might be high school junior Megan Walker, a 6-foot-1 wing who’s considered the top prospect in the class of 2017. But rumors are that Walker is likely to choose Notre Dame over UConn. If that happens, the Huskies would be missing the kind of superstar who has led their title runs.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Forgive me for picking this link up by lurking on another board, but this piece from last April is just too juicy to pass up.

So many good things (mostly very positive), but some pretty bad predictions. Here's one:

At the moment, it’s looking like the post-Stewart era might be something in between, featuring teams that contend but are a far cry from the dominant squads people have come to expect from UConn. The next Huskies superstar in the line of Taurasi, Moore, and Stewart isn’t on the horizon. If such a player exists, it might be high school junior Megan Walker, a 6-foot-1 wing who’s considered the top prospect in the class of 2017. But rumors are that Walker is likely to choose Notre Dame over UConn. If that happens, the Huskies would be missing the kind of superstar who has led their title runs.

As a history buff, expert, whatever--nothing is truly new under the sun--especially when humans are involved. When talking of specific individuals DT, Stew, jordan, Babe--an exact copy may not ever again exist--but one with equal or more talent shall exist.
Walker--has been touted as Maya--I have equated talent and game type traits of Diamond (heresy) are similar--my personal view after observing Megan Walker a bit--she'll be more productive--better/?? (subjective). Moriah went pro---Dangerfield walks in the door--I was certain Moriah had broken the mold. Rene with her deadly 3 and sweeping drives to the basket--never to be repeated--only by Gabby (the three is starting). DT's aggressive nature and ability to know when to take over will never happen again--except by Katie Lou.
Next year --all the rules shall be broken--I didn't mention Napheesa--I can't think of even a broad comparison--is she an individual great???
It isn't IF Uconn --progresses and continues the winning ways--they shall--the ONLY true question is for how long?? Dynasty?? After 11 NC's and 4 in a row NC's there is no other word to describe it.

Reaction Score
To be fair, if we go on to win the championship this year, it will be the first time in a while we do so without a transcendent talent like Taurasi, Moore, or Stewart.

This year does look a hell of a lot better than 2005 or 2012 though, due to both players seizing the initiative and excellent coaching.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Man, bags, you're going for low hanging fruit here! Still, I like the reminder of dunces like this one. In the same article he saw Geno either retiring at going over to the men's game, so he's batting 1000 without the 1.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This guy should stick to what he knows like selling insurance, or hawking peanuts at sporting events. This guy can't see beyond the end of his nose, let alone into the future. He did not see this one coming. He should stick to what he knows, and leave the prognosticating to those of us that have that "gift". :)

Reaction Score
To be fair, if we go on to win the championship this year, it will be the first time in a while we do so without a transcendent talent like Taurasi, Moore, or Stewart.

This year does look a hell of a lot better than 2005 or 2012 though, due to both players seizing the initiative and excellent coaching.
Actually we've already won a championship without a transcendent talent... if you're only counting Taurasi, Moore or Stewart... none of them were on the 1995 championship team.

Oops :) I missed "in a while"... my bad :) you are correct :)

Reaction Score

I guess until she graduates --Katie Lou shall remain trancendentless! It is always easier looking backward that forward--and sometimes more fun--

Reaction Score
I'm not bothered by the thrust of this article. The guy gave UConn and Geno their due and demonstrated a pretty decent knowledge of the team in the process. He's also on the right side of the "bad for the game" argument. What I'd like to know if, as UConn approaches 10-0 straight, what this guy thinks of this year's team now.

Reaction Score
I guess until she graduates --Katie Lou shall remain trancendentless! It is always easier looking backward that forward--and sometimes more fun--

That is true. In 2 years we may consider Lou (or Collier) in the same class as Taurasi/Moore/Stewart.

This is really the sort of thing you can only evaluate in retrospect.

Reaction Score
That is true. In 2 years we may consider Lou (or Collier) in the same class as Taurasi/Moore/Stewart.

Frankly---I've was there for all of the DT, Moore (Maya), Stewart and from all we see of Katie Lou Samuelson--if she maintains the current path ---there is no doubt in 3 years she shall be prominent in every conversation of Dt and Stewie.
When DT played she was known as special "we had DT and they don't"
Stewart in the end of her frosh year and the near end of her Soph year--you had to be blind not to see how special she was.
Maya--was sneaky--she was a nice girl. the kind you wish was your daughter, she was so smooth, unassuming--her greatness wasn't full appreciated until she was gone. I see KLS in the DT/Stewie sense.

Reaction Score

Bags--at the beginning of my previous posting--I started by saying;

As a history buff, expert, whatever---I was speaking of you not me---I'm a history reader/observer--no expert--

Reaction Score

With DT we definitely knew at the time. With Stew and Maya I think we at least "strongly suspected" while they were playing.

Reaction Score
I'm not bothered by the thrust of this article. The guy gave UConn and Geno their due and demonstrated a pretty decent knowledge of the team in the process. He's also on the right side of the "bad for the game" argument. What I'd like to know if, as UConn approaches 10-0 straight, what this guy thinks of this year's team now.

You are correct! This article was a year old abt. Last April as Stew graduated along with Tuck, and moriah--even dyed in the wool fans would have bet Dads old buick that this team would never reach 10 and zero. Early this year most were , after the first game, wondering whether the number of losses would be 4 or 6 before the NCAA's. Only jab I didn't appreciate--was Geno should retire.

Reaction Score
LOL at people "not knowing" about Maya and Stewie. Almost everyone that followed the sport could see they were special in their first season in college. Come on now, no one's buying it and you guys shouldn't be selling it.

Reaction Score
I'm thinking it will be the first time ever. '95 had Rebecca, '02-04 had DT, '09-10 had Maya, and '13-16 had Stewie.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Actually had a lovely conversation with the gentleman who wrote this article. He recognized he got a lot wrong - in particular his thoughts about Geno retiring. I wasn't there to yank his chain, and he was more than willing to dialogue.

It's interesting to review the early thread about this season - or comments at the end of last. Some spoke about Geno retiring, many assumed it was going to be a bumpy ride. Guesses are just that, guesses. Dare y'all to write an article capturing the rest of the season from now through March... :)

Reaction Score

GREAT POST...

Reaction Score
Soitenly, Carnac, the long-time bone-yarders know only one trajectory, and none would predict the end of Uconn's remarkable run. But somebody had to be the first, albeit premature, to announce the end of Husky dominance. If this year has proven anything, it was a sucker bet. But another NC is no sure thing, the last foul called against SC tonight changing that game's ending by a single whistle. Our team is even more vulnerable, Coates and Wilson totaling eight fouls between them, including a questionable technical and they don't have to jump.

Reaction Score

Perhaps not quite transcendent, but 4 quickly rising stars. Who knows where they'll be when the season ends. I think that in many ways they are as good or very close to the best right now. Their problem is that both their games and their and their abilities are so similar they just don't stand out ... from each other! Maybe they will be noticed at the end of the season for what they really are.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Maybe untranscedent? nontranscendent? If so, only because they are so complementary as a team. They all could've chosen to be a bigger star in a smaller galaxy. What really matters though is the transcendence of the team.

Reaction Score
Before the start of the season, I had the Huskies down for four losses this year. Now I don't think it's likely they have more than two (with a possibility of one...or even...?!).

It's not that the current crop of players aren't very talented. It's just that none of them had any experience being at the core of the team's offensive production or team leadership. You don't know how they'll respond to the challenge until they're thrust into it. If they had had even one player who was at the core last year and returned this year (i.e. Tuck), it would have been easier for me to predict great success.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom