UConn's AAU Application? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn's AAU Application?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The quality of the Health Center is not going to impact the AAU ranking one way or another. The AAU is only looking at peer-reviewed research grants, which has little to do with running a hospital. Everything you say can be true but it has little impact on the AAU. For some schools with top academics and top medical schools, running a hospital can be a big drain on the school's finances. It is not for everybody.
The medical center encompasses the graduate schools and the research labs. The hospital itself is John Dempsey. They are all intimately related under the umbrella of UConn Health. They go hand in hand. Furthermore, clinical and academic medicine (research and training) are inseparable at academic institutions. One cannot flourish without the other. Most academic clinicians are hired under the premise that they will run a lab involving basic science or clinical research. If you don't recruit the high-powered physicians, you are missing out on a ton of research and recognition.

Reaction Score
The medical center encompasses the graduate schools and the research labs. The hospital itself is John Dempsey. They are all intimately related under the umbrella of UConn Health. They go hand in hand. Furthermore, clinical and academic medicine (research and training) are inseparable at academic institutions. One cannot flourish without the other. Most academic clinicians are hired under the premise that they will run a lab involving basic science or clinical research. If you don't recruit the high-powered physicians, you are missing out on a ton of research and recognition.

Ahem...

UConn@UConn 7 hours ago
World's leading pediatric endocrinologist & world-renowned Glycogen Storage Disease (GSD) Program join @uconnhealth.
World’s Top Researcher on Rare Genetic Liver Disease Coming to UConn Health - UConn Today

>>Leading pediatric endocrinologist and scientist, Dr. David A. Weinstein and his world-renowned Glycogen Storage Disease (GSD) Program is moving to Connecticut’s UConn School of Medicine and Connecticut Children’s Medical Center in early 2017. Weinstein’s GSD Program, currently based at the University of Florida, is the largest clinical and research program of its kind in the world. Pediatric and adult patients living with the rare, genetic liver disease travel from across the globe for his team’s expert care, a number which totals more than 500 patients from 49 states and 45 countries.

He will serve as professor in the Department of Pediatrics at UConn School of Medicine and director of the GSD Program, a joint venture of UConn Health and Connecticut Children’s. UConn Health will be home to the GSD program’s research laboratories while the multidisciplinary team will provide comprehensive clinical care at Connecticut Children’s.<<

Reaction Score

All I'm saying is that these huge medical centers, which you'll find at Cincy, USF, Alabama-Birmingham, are heavy on training, but the AAU doesn't take it into account. And not only that, you have some medical schools, such as U. Rochester's, that end up eating into the core of the university and having a detrimental impact.

Reaction Score
Ahem...

UConn@UConn 7 hours ago
World's leading pediatric endocrinologist & world-renowned Glycogen Storage Disease (GSD) Program join @uconnhealth.

World’s Top Researcher on Rare Genetic Liver Disease Coming to UConn Health - UConn Today

>>Leading pediatric endocrinologist and scientist, Dr. David A. Weinstein and his world-renowned Glycogen Storage Disease (GSD) Program is moving to Connecticut’s UConn School of Medicine and Connecticut Children’s Medical Center in early 2017. Weinstein’s GSD Program, currently based at the University of Florida, is the largest clinical and research program of its kind in the world. Pediatric and adult patients living with the rare, genetic liver disease travel from across the globe for his team’s expert care, a number which totals more than 500 patients from 49 states and 45 countries.

He will serve as professor in the Department of Pediatrics at UConn School of Medicine and director of the GSD Program, a joint venture of UConn Health and Connecticut Children’s. UConn Health will be home to the GSD program’s research laboratories while the multidisciplinary team will provide comprehensive clinical care at Connecticut Children’s.<<
Gainesville is trending down, Storrs is trending up...

Reaction Score
Ahem...

UConn@UConn 7 hours ago

Lol. One pediatric endocrinologist does not resurrect a medical center.

Reaction Score

Exactly the comment I expected from you based on recent post history. This one was just timely - there are others but it isn't worth the effort to research. You have your mind made up...

Reaction Score

just go away...

images

Reaction Score
Exactly the comment I expected from you based on recent post history. This one was just timely - there are others but it isn't worth the effort to research. You have your mind made up...
63re in the country for a research school. And there aren't that many med schools on the country. Much worse than UConn's 60 given the paucity of medical schools compared to undergrad universities. Can't deny reality.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
"63re in the country for a research school. And there aren't that many med schools on the country. Much worse than UConn's 60 given the paucity of medical schools compared to undergrad universities. Can't deny reality."

Yes, can't deny reality, you're a Troll, please leave.

Reaction Score
And he touts Quinnipiac, a school that is flirting with the ultimate college disaster.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I am a troll. A troll that spews facts. You guys are so defensive it's unreal.

UConn Health weighing down university’s research ranking
I don't think you are a troll per se. But you can't be surprised at the reaction you are receiving. Maybe you will stick around, maybe Fishy will throat punch you on out of here, but your first impression was universally less than stellar and you haven't stopped digging.

Reaction Score
And he touts Quinnipiac, a school that is flirting with the ultimate college disaster.
I'm not touting Quinnipiac at all - just showing how things are going downhill for UConn Health. It's a significant loss of their footprint in terms of medical education for their students. The school of medicine was livid that they lost the relationship with that hospital and that it went to Quinnipiac - but no one in the field was surprised. My initial post in this thread was to point out a deficiency at UConn Health that needs to be addressed in the near future; it is one that I believe keeps UConn out of the AAU conversation (again, not an expert by any means). The Health Center is a big thorn in UConn's side, and I'm not sure how to remedy it - but it needs to be addressed. You must address problems in order to come up with viable solutions.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't think you are a troll per se. But you can't be surprised at the reaction you are receiving. Maybe you will stick around, maybe Fishy will throat punch you on out of here, but your first impression was universally less than stellar and you haven't stopped digging.
If it gets a few people thinking and and acknowledging the shortcomings of the University, it's worth it. People on this board continually say how depressed they are and they "can't take it anymore" because we've been treated so poorly by everyone else. That accomplishes nothing. As a UConn fan, I go to men's and women's bball games, football games, soccer games, etc and I root for them like you wouldn't believe. I'm not going to bring up the disaster that UConn Health is at a tailgate. But on a message board, with a thread wondering why UConn isn't AAU, it is worth mentioning as this is a serious deficiency in the UConn system (one of the very few I would argue). The hiring of one physician is a step in the right direction, but in no way does it alleviate a very deep-rooted and system problem.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Guys, guys - the new guy with the hot takes just wants to show everyone how smart he is. :rolleyes:

He also wants very badly to be a board moderator, it would seem. Literally every thread I have entered today has featured him telling someone to remove a thread, not to post something, or some other form of internet policing. It's been somewhat amusing, especially when he challenged Fishy.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
63re in the country for a research school. And there aren't that many med schools on the country. Much worse than UConn's 60 given the paucity of medical schools compared to undergrad universities. Can't deny reality.
You understand that patient care component isn't relevent for AAU status right?

If you really want to look at it, there many unranked P5 schools, but of the ranked ones UConn is better than include:

FSU
Wake
Georgetown
Miami
Louisville
Texas Tech
Temple
Texas A&M
Ohio University
Kentucky
Arizona
Michigan State
West Virgina
USF
Cinci
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Maryland
UC-Irvine
Tennessee...etc.

You get similar results looking at the research side.

Reaction Score
Guys, guys - the new guy with the hot takes just wants to show everyone how smart he is. :rolleyes:
I'm sorry that I made you feel that way. It was not my intention.

Reaction Score
You understand that patient care component isn't relevent for AAU status right?

If you really want to look at it, there many unranked P5 schools, but of the ranked ones UConn is better than include:

FSU
Wake
Georgetown
Miami
Louisville
Texas Tech
Temple
Texas A&M
Ohio University
Kentucky
Arizona
Michigan State
West Virgina
USF
Cinci
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Maryland
UC-Irvine
Tennessee...etc.

I don't know what patient care ranking system you are using to come up with this list. If it is primary care (which is actually ranked by USNWR), then I do understand that this is not relevant to AAU. If it is indeed the primary care rankings by USNWR (as I suspect you are), then this has nothing to do with AAU as it eliminates research activity as a component in the ranking system. Primary care and patient care are two different things.

CL82

Reaction Score
I don't know what patient care ranking system you are using to come up with this list. If it is primary care (which is actually ranked by USNWR), then I do understand that this is not relevant to AAU.
The exact same one you did to get the ranking of 50 and 63... USNWR

You say that understand that it is irrelevent but just a few posts ago that was your core point. What changed?

Reaction Score
The exact same one you did to get the ranking of 50 and 63... USNWR

You say that understand that it is irrelevent but just a few posts ago that was your core point. What changed?
Two different lists. One is research ranking, the other is primary care. Primary care ranking does not involve research.

Reaction Score
The quality of the Health Center is not going to impact the AAU ranking one way or another. The AAU is only looking at peer-reviewed research grants, which has little to do with running a hospital. Everything you say can be true but it has little impact on the AAU. For some schools with top academics and top medical schools, running a hospital can be a big drain on the school's finances. It is not for everybody.

All I'm saying is that these huge medical centers, which you'll find at Cincy, USF, Alabama-Birmingham, are heavy on training, but the AAU doesn't take it into account. And not only that, you have some medical schools, such as U. Rochester's, that end up eating into the core of the university and having a detrimental impact.

Upstater, as usual, 100% spot on. Medical operations are a separate entity from federally-funded research within said facility. AAU is a consortium or lobby affiliation to garner federal research funding. As such, it aids member schools to forward their individual and collective agenda. As a graduate of both schools (UConn and Rochester), VPDcurt's comments on the interplay between local hospitals and their staff has some basis in fact, but is also opinion-based. I agree with Upstater's assessment of UR's dilemma.

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
Two different lists. One is research ranking, the other is primary care. Primary care ranking does not involve research.
You orginal point was being critical of primary care You tried to justfy your postition after Upstater corrected you...
They go hand in hand. Furthermore, clinical and academic medicine (research and training) are inseparable at academic institutions. One cannot flourish without the other.
But if you want to talk about UConn's research ranking now, we can do that. First let me note that many, many P5 medical schools are unranked, FSU and Penn State for instance.

But the ranked P5 medical schools that are ranked below UConn include:

Michigan State
WVU
Texas Tech
Nevada
Louisvile
Missouri
Texas A&M
Tennessee
Oklahoma
Kansas

As I understand the AAU it is a lobbying group for Federal research dollars. For the most part medical schools are looked upon as not being useful info for that metric.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have not mentioned primary care in this post until I corrected your post. And I'm not comparing UConn to other P5 schools - this is a thread about AAU - not P5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom