UConn's AAU Application? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn's AAU Application?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
If it gets a few people thinking and and acknowledging the shortcomings of the University, it's worth it. People on this board continually say how depressed they are and they "can't take it anymore" because we've been treated so poorly by everyone else. That accomplishes nothing. As a UConn fan, I go to men's and women's bball games, football games, soccer games, etc and I root for them like you wouldn't believe. I'm not going to bring up the disaster that UConn Health is at a tailgate. But on a message board, with a thread wondering why UConn isn't AAU, it is worth mentioning as this is a serious deficiency in the UConn system (one of the very few I would argue). The hiring of one physician is a step in the right direction, but in no way does it alleviate a very deep-rooted and system problem.
People on this board continually say how depressed they are and they "can't take it anymore" because we've been treated so poorly by everyone else.
Um who says that? Just curious.

pj

Reaction Score
63 in a research ranking (med school/health research) would not be bad. The AAU has 63 members and nearly all have medical centers. Going through AAU institutions in alphabetical order (AAU Member Institutions), the ones without med schools are Brandeis, Caltech, then Georgia Tech which has a joint program with the Emory medical school nearby, Iowa State, then MIT which has its Health and Science Technology program (Harvard–MIT Program of Health Sciences and Technology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), not to mention the Broad Institute, Whitehead Institute, and Koch Institute, then Princeton, Purdue, Rice University has a deal with the Baylor College of Medicine, UC Berkeley is close to UCSF Medical School, and UC Santa Barbara. Everybody else, the other 53, has a medical school.

So if you are the #63 ranked medical school for research, you are about 10-20 spots away from AAU status.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm not touting Quinnipiac at all - just showing how things are going downhill for UConn Health. It's a significant loss of their footprint in terms of medical education for their students. The school of medicine was livid that they lost the relationship with that hospital and that it went to Quinnipiac - but no one in the field was surprised. My initial post in this thread was to point out a deficiency at UConn Health that needs to be addressed in the near future; it is one that I believe keeps UConn out of the AAU conversation (again, not an expert by any means). The Health Center is a big thorn in UConn's side, and I'm not sure how to remedy it - but it needs to be addressed. You must address problems in order to come up with viable solutions.

They can laugh all they want when Quinnipiac disappears off the face of the earth.

Reaction Score
They can laugh all they want when Quinnipiac disappears off the face of the earth.
The school is funded by a grant from Frank H. Netter - I'd like to see them disappear in favor of UConn but I don't see that happening.

Reaction Score
63 in a research ranking (med school/health research) would not be bad. The AAU has 63 members and nearly all have medical centers. Going through AAU institutions in alphabetical order (AAU Member Institutions), the ones without med schools are Brandeis, Caltech, then Georgia Tech which has a joint program with the Emory medical school nearby, Iowa State, then MIT which has its Health and Science Technology program (Harvard–MIT Program of Health Sciences and Technology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), not to mention the Broad Institute, Whitehead Institute, and Koch Institute, then Princeton, Purdue, Rice University has a deal with the Baylor College of Medicine, UC Berkeley is close to UCSF Medical School, and UC Santa Barbara. Everybody else, the other 53, has a medical school.

So if you are the #63 ranked medical school for research, you are about 10-20 spots away from AAU status.

Agreed. But Harvard, UCSF, Baylor, Emory? Not easy for anyone to compete with.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I'm sorry that I made you feel that way. It was not my intention.
No apology necessary. Just saying if you want to stick around then consider your introduction and initial impression and adjust accordingly. Disagreements are more than tolerated (have you met Whaler or Nelson?).

Reaction Score
The school is funded by a grant from Frank H. Netter - I'd like to see them disappear in favor of UConn but I don't see that happening.

Any university that experiences huge declines in enrollment for 3 years, and then proceeds to start firing full-time faculty which draws the attention of the accreditation people and the national university governance associations, is treading heavily. Universities fire professors when there is financial exigency, and that's accepted, but Quinnipiac didn't do that because it has one of the highest paid presidents in America. The school is in danger.

Reaction Score
Upstater, as usual, 100% spot on. Medical operations are a separate entity from federally-funded research within said facility. AAU is a consortium or lobby affiliation to garner federal research funding. As such, it aids member schools to forward their individual and collective agenda. As a graduate of both schools (UConn and Rochester), VPDcurt's comments on the interplay between local hospitals and their staff has some basis in fact, but is also opinion-based. I agree with Upstater's assessment of UR's dilemma.
They are on paper but they go hand in hand. Hospitals that are strong clinically are generally strong academically. Look at places like MGH, Cleveland clinic, Mayo, Hopkins. Rarely will you find the two ranking systems that far apart in this effort two categories. The bottom line - UConn needs work in both departments - and both will help attain AAU status because they're so closely tied together. Again, not sure why you are so defensive over a topic that is very clearly an area where UConn Health (and thus UConn overall) needs a lot of hole as it is dragging down the university and Dempsey hospital (only a small part of UConn health).

Reaction Score
Gainesville is trending down, Storrs is trending up...

Speaking about going down, just found a picture where the U of F football police reports are filed...

sink hole.jpg

Reaction Score
The school is in danger.
QU will survive somehow. If they have the money to carve into a freaking small mountain for their arena, the school has money behind it.

Reaction Score
They are on paper but they go hand in hand. Hospitals that are strong clinically are generally strong academically. Look at places like MGH, Cleveland clinic, Mayo, Hopkins. Rarely will you find the two ranking systems that far apart in this effort two categories. The bottom line - UConn needs work in both departments - and both will help attain AAU status because they're so closely tied together. Again, not sure why you are so defensive over a topic that is very clearly an area where UConn Health (and thus UConn overall) needs a lot of hole as it is dragging down the university and Dempsey hospital (only a small part of UConn health).

I may not have a PhD; but, not sure what Mayo and the Cleveland Clinic have to do with AAU. Mayo is not attached to any University that I am aware of and the Cleveland Clinic only became affiliated with Case Western in 2002 after a donor gave both $100 million to start a medical school. Case Western became AAU in 1969, which was long before that.

Reaction Score
I may not have a PhD; but, not sure what Mayo and the Cleveland Clinic have to do with AAU. Mayo is not attached to any University that I am aware of and the Cleveland Clinic only became affiliated with Case Western in 2002 after a donor gave both $100 million to start a medical school. Case Western became AAU in 1969, which was long before that.
Nothing. I was making a point about the relationship between hospitals and medical schools - which has been dragged out as my main argument regarding all of this (not the case).

Reaction Score
Dr. VPDCurt is actually making valid points. Given that, can we let this thread die now??

As far as the Health Center in Farmington goes, there's still loads of clientele they can treat. But it certainly was short-sighted to place it in Farmington when there's Bristol Hospital, too. The only way to remedy that that I can think of, is to make CTfasttrack go by the UConn Health Center. Take that, Farmington!

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
The only way to remedy that that I can think of, is to make FastTrack go by UConn Health Center. Take that, Farmington!

I think it's already on the expanded service line? All the shortcomings should be fixed in no time.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Not yet.

Well then, anyone wanna pony up the $100 mill to the governor for fast track to extend to UCHC? AAU status and a B1G invite just may be hanging in the balance!

Reaction Score
I'm a doctor who graduated from UConn, now let me explain to you why the school I invested half a decade and tens of thousands of dollars to attend is actually trash.

But, guys I totally am a doctor and I totally Went to UConn.

Take it from me, that school sucks, except for me apparently.

No good doctors at that school, no sir, but somehow I came out of it and am super successful.

I'm a doctor.

Reaction Score
I'm a doctor who graduated from UConn, now let me explain to you why the school I invested half a decade and tens of thousands of dollars to attend is actually trash.

No good doctors at that school, no sir, but somehow I came out of it and am super successful.

I'm a doctor.

Reaction Score
I used to work at the interlibrary loan department. This is brutal. Let's steer the ship from the Big Ten towards the ACC...
Lol. It is really sad, especially this quote from faculty to the provost: "As it stands now, the holdings of the UConn library are barely adequate for a research institution.”

Reaction Score

University of Maryland College Park does not have a medical school either. The University of Maryland School of Medicine is part of the University of Maryland Baltimore campus.

Reaction Score
So we can just hand over the Health Center to the Hartford or Waterbury branch campus??

Reaction Score
Lol. It is really sad, especially this quote from faculty to the provost: "As it stands now, the holdings of the UConn library are barely adequate for a research institution.”
We have a very big issue(s) on our hands if the library cannot even hold up.

We might as well drop the AAU talk. Fix the damn library's situations.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

I'm a doctor.

04.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member