UConn women | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn women

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From a ND perspective, that had to be a crushing loss. Not saying they couldn't win in a rematch in the NCAA tournament, but they'll have to overcome a pretty big mental hurdle.

Heading into the game, the ND team had to like their chances. UConn had lost their three top players, it was a home game for the Irish, and they had the added motivation of losing their #1 ranking to UConn even though they started the year #1 and hadn't lost. Despite all that, UConn won convincingly because they were the better team. It wasn't a 1 possession game at the end and there wasn't a fluke play or key injury that was a huge factor in the game.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
The only reasons he'd leave would be if the nature of the players were to change in ways he disliked...

He has the luxury of being able to recruit the players he wants based on more than skill level. He has simply not offered quite a few highly rated players who would likely have committed in a NY minute, because he didn't like something about their attitude, commitment to improvement or desire to be part of a team instead of just a star. That approach kind of insulates him from problems with the "nature of the players."

Reaction Score
Never realized until seeing that close-up of the game ball that each school must have their own personalized balls?
Best of everything for ND.

Reaction Score
He has the luxury of being able to recruit the players he wants based on more than skill level. He has simply not offered quite a few highly rated players who would likely have committed in a NY minute, because he didn't like something about their attitude, commitment to improvement or desire to be part of a team instead of just a star. That approach kind of insulates him from problems with the "nature of the players."
He has declined to offer kids based on their parent's attitudes and actions. Just doesn't want the drama.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The NBA maybe talk is ridiculous no shot of that ever, they don't listen they don't like teachers and they would look down for sure to a "women's" coach.

Honestly, I don't think it would be that far off. It's not like he'd be a head coach anywhere, just another one of the guys on the bench. I understand the "women's" thing you mention, but if there is one thing Geno is good at, it is communication. He's an excellent motivator, and very relatable. Guys would listen, because he's enjoyable to listen to. And I don't think he'd relate to or treat the guys the same way he does college girls. There's a lot of developmental coaches; I think he'd be good at that. Also a game plan coach.

Not implying he'd be guaranteed successful, but I can see it.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I'm not sure UConn can beat them again this season especially if Turner progresses over the season. She missed games because of injuries and it showed with her early missed shots. UConn has an answer for her but that answer can't play this season.

Also Chong (the only player graduating btw) played a great game but she's not at the level of Allen and neither is Dangerfield at this stage. So winning another NC is still a big question mark imo.

Dangerfield by the end of the season tho...

Turner is ridiculous too. End of the season will be night and day for her.

Reaction Score
Geno has been a great coach for a long time. Putting aside the current 83 game win streak (and 130 out of the last 131), the last time one of his teams lost two games in a row was March 1993. None of the team's current players were born yet.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Geno has been a great coach for a long time. Putting aside the current 83 game win streak (and 130 out of the last 131), the last time one of his teams lost two games in a row was March 1993. None of the team's current players were born yet.

Really? That's absurd.

Reaction Score
Never realized until seeing that close-up of the game ball that each school must have their own personalized balls?

Wow you have a better picture than me I don't see her balls?:oops:

Reaction Score
They have been & still are ridiculously good. Wish there was a way to harness the level of dominance the women's hoops program has had and channel it towards our football & MBB teams. Especially football. Even a sprinkling. ;)
Not possible in the mens game in this day and age.

Reaction Score
Been saying this on the men's side awhile. I started watching the men and following recruiting but after the women's first title, I followed them just as much and love it just the same. It's exactly the same watching the players grow and get better. Beforehand I never would have thought but I think more over here should become fans of the women also.

Reaction Score
I expect the drop-off to be more like UCLA men's program. It has won 1 title since 1975, after winning 10 from 1964-75. Something similar might be happening with the Tennessee women's program (too early to say, but obviously they haven't won a title since Summitt retired). I don't see any natural advantages for us in terms of location, academics, etc., vis-a-vis Duke, Stanford, Tennessee, Texas, Baylor, ND, UNC, etc., other than having the best coach in the history of the game.
Natural advantage is having the best program in the history of women's basketball. You hear women's basketball and everyone says UConn, none of those other schools names come up.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Been saying this on the men's side awhile. I started watching the men and following recruiting but after the women's first title, I followed them just as much and love it just the same. It's exactly the same watching the players grow and get better. Beforehand I never would have thought but I think more over here should become fans of the women also.

I would be more likely to do so if WBB fans didn't post disparaging stereotypes about our men's basketball student athletes.

Reaction Score

I think many are closet fans and some are fans because they are Uconn but only need to watch a hand full of games. Reason is obvious, some aren't games.

For me I root like hell for them to win. And I think geno is great but any of Jimmy C's years in which he won 30 games is more impressive than any of the UConns years I will be honest. Years of the Big East playing at worst a Seton Hall team, while having to get by Cuse, Jonnies, Nova, GTown, Miami in the day, ND etc etc and going 17-1, 16-2 I mean c'mon every game was tough for JC. Not at all the same actually not close in the womens game. So I'm a fan and I'm ok to discuss Geno and coaching the men but he'd be in for a shock for so many reasons and wouldn't be as successful, and not sure how close either. He can certainly coach, teach and communicate just so different. Thinking perfect fit if ever tried would be home town thing like St Joes, LaSalle etc etc...

Reaction Score
Honestly, I don't think it would be that far off. It's not like he'd be a head coach anywhere, just another one of the guys on the bench. I understand the "women's" thing you mention, but if there is one thing Geno is good at, it is communication. He's an excellent motivator, and very relatable. Guys would listen, because he's enjoyable to listen to. And I don't think he'd relate to or treat the guys the same way he does college girls. There's a lot of developmental coaches; I think he'd be good at that. Also a game plan coach.

Not implying he'd be guaranteed successful, but I can see it.

Lebron and Kobe had no problem listening to him during the Olympics.

And San Antonio players have no problem listening to Becky Hammon.

Believe it or not, men's basketball players tend to respect women's players and women's coaches more so than men's basketball fans.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I never bought into he always gets the best players. But he always gets the 'right' best players.

One of his magic tricks, is that he has gotten to a place where he can pick and choose the kinds of kids he brings in. He's not desperate. So he gets kids with skills, but more importantly are very coachable, team first, smart, and hard working. They all have ready made intangibles coming in. Those particular traits are perfect for what they do here.
Whenever I see an article with Geno about their success he gives all the credit to the kids but he speaks about their commitment to excellence. That point is made over and over again. That word seems to take on a mentality of total commitment by each player all the time for the benefit of the team. This includes fundamentals at which they are exceptional (see above). It is very simple but not at all easy. Apparently this is the challenge to every potential recruit. They will have to accept this level of commitment or they will not survive on this team. What is great is that he has the kids buying into it and seem to live for this high standard. To me it is the essence of leadership to always be leading others to constant improvement and having them taking responsibility for their actions. It seems to exist where great leaders who lead by example can get this across.

Reaction Score
He's amazing simply the best ever in the womens game, no brainer, not close. Pat S didn't make her players better as Geno does, that's why these girls come here, they get it. Other teams get as good and better recruits and none advance as the UConn girls he and his staff teach and work with. I believe Azura Stevens pretty much said that in her reason to transfer to UConn, and after the Olympics the ex-LSU stud said something along the same line, the expectation is perfection or as close as you can get. Katie Lou was the smartest of the Samuelson sisters and we are already seeing the transformation from shooter to all around player, she's excellent. Gabby, well she plays like a guy, tremendous athlete that word so hard to become a good shooter and now is excellent from 12-15 feet which makes her a really tough guard for the defense. Collier's improvement is unreal, the confidence in which she displays is crazy.

Now as far as men's coaching I have no doubt he would be successful somewhere, just not sure how high but he could certainly impact the game. The NBA maybe talk is ridiculous no shot of that ever, they don't listen they don't like teachers and they would look down for sure to a "women's" coach. So many questions in recruiting, 2 year players, different game by far but he's a great coach and it would be really interesting if he took the shot.

They won't lose this year!
Your probably right about coaching the men but two things I'm confident in Geno could draw up an inbounds play that works and if he had the teams Calipari had/has he'd have more than one championship

Reaction Score
As a fan of both, it goes both ways.
There are some fans on the women's board that are in the UConn women's bubble. I get the sense some of them don't watch any men's college or NBA hoops and it leads them to say some outlandish and disrespectful things. At least that's what I gathered a few years back, hopefully it's changed. If you are a UConn fan you should root like hell for all UConn sports, the women's team is easy because they are so good.

Reaction Score
Your probably right about coaching the men but two things I'm confident in Geno could draw up an inbounds play that works and if he had the teams Calipari had/has he'd have more than one championship
That's a big hypothetical on Geno having more titles than Cal considering he's never coached the men's game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom