UConn women | The Boneyard

UConn women

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
First time I've watched them this season and really impressed. For the first time in forever it seems like nobody was picking them this year and they are clearly still the best. Really good coaching job by Geno after losing an all-time great in Stewart and some other great players. Awesome ball movement and decision making by everyone. Gabby Williams does everything for them and I really like the little freshman guard, Dangerfield. To win that way on the road, never even really letting ND and their crowd get into it is impressive. They may never lose again.

Reaction Score
This is a gutty performance.

On the women's side, I call this the AAC advantage. You play the big early season games like you're in the BET because you know you'll hardly be challenged in the conference. The players are locked in. You can see how intense they are. They outgutted ND.

This is a good blueprint for the men as long as we're in the AAC, if the men can ever get there. Play the early season like it's the only thing that matters, and then take care of business inside the conference. That is the path to a 2 seed.

Reaction Score
Forgot to mention their defense, they totally shut down ND. The only one who could get anything was the big girl down low, think her name is Turner. Everyone knows their roles on D, they move it well on O, don't turn it over and make all their ft's. That's a really well coached team.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Williams, Samuelson and one other (Nurse or Collier?) played all 40 minutes. Only 7 players could go vs. ND. An away game against the next best team in the country and it wasn't even close in the 4th quarter. Williams was like Okafor out there. Helluva game she played.

Geno can coach.

Reaction Score
Geno is ridiculous. This is an underclass led roster which is apparently bringing in the best HS recruit in years next year. If they can win it all this year, he might be able to win 7,8,9 years in a row. Good Lord.
What's the name on the top freshman coming in next year?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Geno is ridiculous. This is an underclass led roster which is apparently bringing in the best HS recruit in years next year. If they can win it all this year, he might be able to win 7,8,9 years in a row. Good Lord.

The rest of that class ain't too bad (read: really good) either.

First time I've watched them this season and really impressed. For the first time in forever it seems like nobody was picking them this year and they are clearly still the best. Really good coaching job by Geno after losing an all-time great in Stewart and some other great players.

Yeah their PG last year is probably 1a to Sue Bird's 1 for best UCONN PG ever. The third kid was an AA drafted number 3 in the draft, who even then, was criminally underrated because she dealt with serious injuries much of her career.

You don't lose the best player in BB (one of the best ever), the best PG in BB, and one of the best posts in BB, without really reloading...and keep on trucking, do you? Is that possible?

Reaction Score
My guess is we haven't even seen the most dominant stretch of their dominance yet, which is almost impossible to believe. This seems like an awesome group, you can tell Geno knows he has something special.

Reaction Score
They also have the girl from Duke on their bench who is sitting out a year. I cannot remember her name, but Geno said she would be a #1 pick come draft time.

goshdarn. She apparently put up 19 and 9 and at Duke and will have this year to get even better.

I hope one day Geno tries the men's game. The guy is truly a legendary coach. Casual fans assume he gets the top 5 players every year but there are a handful of teams that recruit on the same level. He is just that special sauce.

Reaction Score
goshdarn. She apparently put up 19 and 9 and at Duke and will have this year to get even better.

I hope one day Geno tries the men's game. The guy is truly a legendary coach. Casual fans assume he gets the top 5 players every year but there are a handful of teams that recruit on the same level. He is just that special sauce.
I would rather see him rack up 20 national championships at UConn.

Reaction Score

I honestly think he'd be more likely to try the NBA. (He's got friends there, and has talked about being an assistant coach in the NBA after he retires) I doubt he'd go to any other school, and he's always said he's not about to screw up both Uconn basketball programs by switching over. He's an incredible Xs and Os guy.

This is women's basketball's last chance for the next two years (At least), IMO. Williams, Collier, and Dangerfield are freshman/sophomores, and they won't lose as upperclassmen.

I think this team doesn't go undefeated. They're so young, that they are bound to have a stupid game. But they've got a heck of a shot at another national title.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

Yeah, I used to assume (wrongly), oh, he always gets the best players. Hey, sometimes he does. But sometime he doesn't, but the girls he recruits turn out to be the best. When that happens over and over, there's a pattern. With one constant.

He's got some special sauce. I don't know what it is, but he's got it. He makes the good great, and the great legendary.

I'd be very interested in seeing him try his hand at something else. but I don't have a problem with him putting up more banners in Storrs. We need all we can get.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Really, this is a weak team compared to the last four. Little bench to speak of and as good as Collier, Samuelson, and Williams have become this year, none of them is Stewart, More or Taurasi.
The genius is with the coach and his system.

Reaction Score
At lot of me would as well, I'm just really curious.
I remember he was asked about coaching the men's game and I think I recall him saying the only 2 he'd be interested in are Duke or UNC. I'm curious as well, but not that curious if it's at one of those schools.

Reaction Score
I remember he was asked about coaching the men's game and I think I recall him saying the only 2 he'd be interested in are Duke or UNC. I'm curious as well, but not that curious if it's at one of those schools.

In that case, me neither.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I liked Williams as a freshman. As a soph, I couldn't understand why she wasn't talked up as UConn's next monster. She's a slightly undersized (5-11) interior player who can hit from distance when she needs to, with a point guard mentality and a just plain nasty defensive mindset. Listening to the annoncers tonight, you'd think she had no skills until this year.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Yeah, I used to assume (wrongly), oh, he always gets the best players. Hey, sometimes he does. But sometime he doesn't, but the girls he recruits turn out to be the best. When that happens over and over, there's a pattern. With one constant.

He's got some special sauce. I don't know what it is, but he's got it. He makes the good great, and the great legendary.

I'd be very interested in seeing him try his hand at something else. but I don't have a problem with him putting up more banners in Storrs. We need all we can get.

I never bought into he always gets the best players. But he always gets the 'right' best players.

One of his magic tricks, is that he has gotten to a place where he can pick and choose the kinds of kids he brings in. He's not desperate. So he gets kids with skills, but more importantly are very coachable, team first, smart, and hard working. They all have ready made intangibles coming in. Those particular traits are perfect for what they do here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom