UConn will have Diamond Stone on campus this weekend (no Malik Newman) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn will have Diamond Stone on campus this weekend (no Malik Newman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I wonder if Andre Drummond might happen to stop by and play some pickup with whomever is around, including any recruits who might drop by.

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
The Kentucky 247 sports site released a free article today about Kentucky crystal ball picks. I'll include the information relavent to us.

Malik Newman
Point Guard
Jackson, MS (Callaway)
Ht: 6-3 | Wt: 174
Mo Williams Academy

Crystal Ball: 87 percent (27 of 31)

Trend: First 24 picks after UK offered last June, only three of the last seven

Thoughts: At Peach Jam two summers ago, Newman was quoted as saying is favorite schools were, "wherever John Calipari is, UConn, Syracuse and Ohio State." That quote led to an avalanche of Kentucky picks when the Wildcats offered last summer.

Still think UK leads, but Kansas has picked up some picks as well and his recruitment may depend on how serious he and Diamond Stone are about their package deal. Have a hunch that UConn could be a major darkhorse.

Diamond Stone
Center (BK)
Milwaukee, WI (Dominican)
Ht: 6-10 | Wt: 246
Milwaukee Young Legends

Crystal Ball: 61 percent (11 of 18)

Trend: 11 of last 14 picks (78 percent) since May 4

Thoughts: Kentucky is thought to be in the top grouping of schools for Stone (along with Wisconsin, Duke, Michigan State and UCLA) although the Wildcats have really yet to jump in with both feet.

Its recruitment of Newman certainly doesn't hurt for the time being and UK is one of only a handful of schools in on the ground floor for both prospects. As with Newman, watch out for UConn. Stone will take an unofficial visit to Storrs this weekend.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
It is really hard to fathom a top-ranked overall kid would consider us. Kid must have solid character. Seems like guys like Calipari, Barnes, Roy Williams usually get these types. I think with KO we could see a shift if we can keep the momentum going. Regardless, we are UConn, we will be fine because KO is cut from JC's cloth and both great evaluators!
It happened before in the Calhoun era with Rudy, Charlie, and Dre (even though he is a CT native). Ollie will be a monster recruiter. He has nba pedigree which is something all these kids look for, a father figure, great coach as proof to the NC, and very trustworthy because of his strong faith in God which signifies a coach with amazing morals. Something none of these other coaches can claim. Not to throw race in there but he is also black and from la so he relates so much better to these kids who grow up in rough neighborhoods than guys like Cal, K, and Williams who could only try to understand how it is like to be from there.

Ollie has so many advantages in recruiting these kids to get them to trust him.

Reaction Score
I know it's cheesy, but I just can't imagine having someone like Ollie talk to you about commitment and winning and all of that hokey stuff and not thinking "man, I really want to play for that guy." He's everything I'd want in my coach. And he knows how to win. If this team gets in a real conference, Kevin Ollie is going to be a juggernaut.

Reaction Score
It is really hard to fathom a top-ranked overall kid would consider us. Kid must have solid character. Seems like guys like Calipari, Barnes, Roy Williams usually get these types. I think with KO we could see a shift if we can keep the momentum going. Regardless, we are UConn, we will be fine because KO is cut from JC's cloth and both great evaluators!
Maybe he wants to win.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I feel like I could write these 247 Crystal Ball things, and I don't know about reruiting except what I read from 3.
  • See Recruit A take official visit to School X. Whelp "looks like kid is a School X lean".
  • See Recruit B say something positive on twitter about School Y....boom, "School Y leads for Recruit B!"
That's how it seems like it works.

Reaction Score
Malik Newman

At Peach Jam two summers ago, Newman was quoted as saying is favorite schools were, "wherever John Calipari is

Do not want!!!! :) Just kidding!

Regarding Rudy & CV, Rudy wasn't consensus #1-5 player when we picked him up or got in good (I think he was top rated player once all the early entries declared) and Sweaty Williams was slipping. CV was sort of a lucky break going into an amazing team with the loaded 04 squad. Dre a local kid. This is like none of those. I do think with Ollie we will start recruiting at a much higher level and I trust these kids will have great character as well.

Reaction Score
Hearing some very good stuff on these two for UConn.
3, just out of curiosity, where do you hear these things? Twitter mentions by recruiting experts? Messages from family/associates? Obviously if it's too private to reveal I'm not gonna press.

Reaction Score
Malik Newman

At Peach Jam two summers ago, Newman was quoted as saying is favorite schools were, "wherever John Calipari is

Do not want!!!! :) Just kidding!

Regarding Rudy & CV, Rudy wasn't consensus #1-5 player when we picked him up or got in good (I think he was top rated player once all the early entries declared) and Sweaty Williams was slipping. CV was sort of a lucky break going into an amazing team with the loaded 04 squad. Dre a local kid. This is like none of those. I do think with Ollie we will start recruiting at a much higher level and I trust these kids will have great character as well.
Rudy was a top 5 player for both Rivals and Scout.

Reaction Score
3, just out of curiosity, where do you hear these things? Twitter mentions by recruiting experts? Messages from family/associates? Obviously if it's too private to reveal I'm not gonna press.

I'm hoping that is from Diamond himself. I see 3 was trying to communicate with him a few hours ago on Twitter.

Reaction Score
Someone get this man some dairy bar ice cream within minutes of his arrival! I'm talking samples of a dozen plus flavors on a silver platter. Then show him the trophy case as he enjoys the ice cream.

Instant commitment.

Reaction Score
I talk with one of Ollie's close friends a couple times a week and he lets me in on things. Also, I talk to recruits and get some things from them. Their AAU and HS coaches are usually pretty open to me about anything. Also, messages from recruiting analysts on other board, Rivals, 247Sports, etc as well a couple people on this board tcf15, husky99, and Zionn.

Reaction Score
I'm hoping that is from Diamond himself. I see 3 was trying to communicate with him a few hours ago on Twitter.
I tried. He's a recruit that doesn't talk much to anyone and as I expected, I got nothing from him.

Reaction Score
I talk with one of Ollie's close friends a couple times a week and he lets me in on things. Also, I talk to recruits and get some things from them. Their AAU and HS coaches are usually pretty open to me about anything. Also, messages from recruiting analysts on other board, Rivals, 247Sports, etc as well a couple people on this board tcf15, husky99, and Zionn.
So what exactly have you heard about these two regarding uconn?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I tried. He's a recruit that doesn't talk much to anyone and as I expected, I got nothing from him.

Read an article that said his family filters all recruiting stuff; cuts down on all the noise for the kid. He's got a different phone number box /email for that stuff. So no surprise.

Reaction Score
Read an article that said his family filters all recruiting stuff; cuts down on all the noise for the kid. He's got a different phone number box /email for that stuff. So no surprise.
Well this alone increases our chances with him.

Reaction Score
I feel like I could write these 247 Crystal Ball things, and I don't know about reruiting except what I read from 3.
  • See Recruit A take official visit to School X. Whelp "looks like kid is a School X lean".
  • See Recruit B say something positive on twitter about School Y....boom, "School Y leads for Recruit B!"
That's how it seems like it works.
Funny thing is 247 is reasonably accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom